gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 10:17:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smile Sessions Box set tracklist Checker  (Read 13036 times)
WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2011, 09:38:43 AM »

Damn, this is like reading quantum physics or something - at least that's where my knowledge on this subject lies.

What I can add to the conversation is that Mission Pak wasn't a fruitcake company (per se) but they sent out gift packs of California fruit, apricots, prunes, dates, nuts in nicely displayed little packages. Holidays were when people usually ordered. I remember it as a kid because they sent along these little "forks" that were 2 thong ivory colored plastic things to pick up the fruit. They usually laid them across the top. It was always Christmas when they came!

Ah! A quick look and here's an old ad: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YG9OM4nlPhA/TFAp2qfN5TI/AAAAAAAABes/dEmP6zWDxxM/s400/mission+pak.jpg
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2011, 10:04:29 AM »

22. Good Vibrations single version stereo track

YES!!!
Isn't this just the stereo single backing track from the GV 40th EP? It's great, but it's not "new".

Correct - the use of the term "track" means backing track only (no vocals).

I'm quite happy to see that "Good Vibrations" is not the single version (a bit of a surprise) and that "Heroes & Villains" is not the single version (much less of a surprise - in fact, I suspected it would be modeled on BWPS by taking the single arrangement and adding the "cantina" bridge).

"Surf's Up" might be the biggest surprise of all. Has anyone tried timing the "Movement 1" backing track combined with the second section of Brian's piano demo to see if it equals 4:12 (assuming that Mark may have stretched Brian's "Movement 1" vocals to fit the backing track)?* Does this time suggest some manipulated group vocals extending the ending...or have they simply used the SURF'S UP album version which times out very close to 4:12? Undecided

* Wait a minute, I just answered my own question: "Movement 1" backing track + second section of Brian's piano demo is exactly how the SURF'S UP album version was created! I assume this is what we get minus the moog bass (hope so!) and organ overdub. The tag may very well sound identical to the '71 version (again, perhaps minus the moog bass).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:08:47 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »

YES!!!
Isn't this just the stereo single backing track from the GV 40th EP? It's great, but it's not "new".

Ah, I didn't see the track bit. however, at the end of the trailer, Good vibrations IS in Stereo

Soory, all change, I just listened again, and it is in mono. I wonder why I got the stereo idea... Ah vell..
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:13:26 AM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »

Actually, now that I think about it, the "Good Vibrations - Stereo Track" will probably be new since it's likely to be the stereo backing track for the 4:13 version on Disc 1!

Can we assume that "Do You Like Worms?" eliminates the reprise of the "Bicycle Rider" theme at the end (after the theme breaks down) in order to make it a smoother transition into "I'm In Great Shape"?

Does the longer "Vega-Tables" timing reflect the BWPS edit plus the "Fade To Vegetables" tag?
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2011, 10:47:51 AM »

Actually, now that I think about it, the "Good Vibrations - Stereo Track" will probably be new since it's likely to be the stereo backing track for the 4:13 version on Disc 1!

Sorry to spoil it for you, but it specifically says 'Single version'.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2011, 11:08:21 AM »

Does anybody know what sessions the Heroes and Villains material on UM are from? The box doesn't include the very first May/66 session for Heroes, which would have been interesting to hear but I guess is lost or maybe was just really insubstantial. Here's my take on the Heroes portion of the box, it appears 10 of the 28 total sessions known for Heroes are included:

Then we have the verse and Barnyard from the next session on October 20th. Is this the only recording of Barnyard that was ever done? The one that's available on boots? I heard that it was originally discovered as a single track on a low quality 4-track tape. I wonder if they found multitracks for this or what.

Then we have 10/27 I'm In Great Shape. Is this the version with 3 different takes with Van Dyke participating?

Next we have "Intro "Early Version"" from December, no exact date. AGD has 5 Heroes sessions listed for December, 4 of them were vocal sessions at Columbia. December 19th was at Western. Is that what this is from? Why weren't they able to pin down an exact date. I had always assumed that "Bag of Tricks" was the "early version" of the intro but that's track number 8. So what precisely is this? When does the version on the GV Box date from? I think this may be "Intro-Alternate Version" available on Heroes and Villains Sessions - Volume 2.

The next 6 tracks are all from the first session of 1967, a session at Columbia.
7. Heroes And Villains: Do A Lot [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/3/67]
8. Heroes And Villains: Bag Of Tricks [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/3/67]
9. Heroes And Villains: Mission Pak [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/3/67]
10. Heroes And Villains: Bridge To Indians [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/3/67]
11. Heroes And Villains: Part 1 Tag [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/3/67]
12. Heroes And Villains: Pickup To 3rd Verse [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/3/67]

I think the Do A Lot here is available on the Heroes and Villains Sessions-Vol. 2 boot. "If there's not any more cooperation man, I'm splitting". The Vega-Tables version of this has vibes I think, and vocals were recorded separately from the backing track. Here it seems to all be live with someone playing the Piano.
Bag of Tricks is well known, and has two different versions on H&V Sessions - Vol. 2.
Bridge to Indians is also on H&V Sessions - Vol. 2. It's the very brief vocal snippet that appears right before Gee on the GV Box "sections" track. Part 1 Tag has three takes available.
Pickup to 3rd verse and Mission Pak are the only things that don't appear on the Sessions Boot. But they are likely vocal tracks or feature little more than piano. Someone has pointed out that "Mission Pak" was a fruit cake company with a well known jingle. This session was just after New Years and someone in the other thread pointed out that on the track "Dum Dum Dum" on Heroes and Villains Session Vol. 1, as they try and record "Soul Made Beautiful" Brian is getting a little exasperated and instructs them for a "happy happy happy mission pak singing sound!"

So the only question what is "Pickup to 3rd Verse". It's probably something old, but might be something new.

The next 6 tracks are from another session at Columbia, January 5th session at Western and and a January 20th session at Columbia aren't represented.
13. Heroes And Villains: Children Were Raised [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/27/67]
14. Heroes And Villains: Part 2 (Cantina track) [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/27/67]
15. Heroes And Villains: Whistling Bridge [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/27/67]
16. Heroes And Villains: Cantina [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/27/67]
17. Heroes And Villains: All Day [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/27/67]
18. Heroes And Villains: Verse Edit Experiment [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/27/67]

The Children Were Raised section here I guess is the "often wise" version. This session seems to be represented on the H&V Sessions Boot as well. All Day is the "early" version of Dada. There are two versions of the Cantina section here, I wonder what the difference is? Maybe one has vocals and one doesn't? "Whistling Bridge" is available as "Dumb Whistle", that's pretty well known.
Finally there's "Verse Edit Experiment", on the H&V Session Boot there appears between the other tracks in this cluster, tracks labeled "Mix Session" and "Test Edit", that seem to be unextraordinary fumblings with vocal mixes. I reckon "Mix Session" may be what "Verse Edit Experiment" is.

The next session is a Western Session from Feb. 15th. Five Heroes sessions occurred between 1/27 and 2/15. One at Western, four at Columbia.
19. Heroes And Villains: Prelude To Fade [Heroes And Villains Session: 2/15/67]
20. Heroes And Villains: Piano Theme [Heroes And Villains Session: 2/15/67]

"Prelude to Fade" is widely available, for my money "Piano Theme" is probably the Bicycle Rider theme. I think this session is represented on the H&V Sessions boot as well.

The next six tracks are from Feb. 20th. AGD's site does not have a session listed on this date. 2/21, 2/24, and 2/26 are listed as vocal sessions, 2/27, and 2/28 were Western sessions. It seems the 2/20 session was a vocal session. Is this a previously unknown session, or is it a revised date for one of the three Columbia sessions?
21. Heroes And Villains: Part 2 [Heroes And Villains Sesssion: 2/20/67]
22. Heroes And Villains: Part 2 (Gee) (Master Take) [Heroes And Villains Sesssion: 2/20/67]
23. Heroes And Villains: Part 2 Revised [Heroes And Villains Sesssion: 2/20/67]
24. Heroes And Villains: Part 2 Revised (Master Take) [Heroes And Villains Sesssion: 2/20/67]
25. Heroes And Villains: Part 3 (Animals) (Master Take) [Heroes And Villains Sesssion: 2/20/67]
26. Heroes And Villains: Part 4 [Heroes And Villains Session: 2/20/67]

What exactly are these? We know what Gee is, which leads me to believe these are all vocal bits or have vocals maybe. Actually attempting to parse out which section is part 2, part 3, or part 4 is difficult. UM 17 has Part 2 as the "False Barnyard" Fade section. Following the "Prelude to Fade" bits on the H&V Sessions Boot there are some funny little lyrics recorded over the fade section. Maybe that's from this session. Maybe one of these is "Barnshine". I don't think that "Part 2" here is an actual whole song, I doubt it's the B-side of the 45. I think it's some different gos at the fade section.
Part 3 (Animals) is a mystery to me, possibly something Barnyard related? Does anybody have any idea what Heroes sections Brian was calling Part 3 and Part 4? These maybe are new.
If I had to guess these are all vocal segments, like Swedish Frog, or the "doo doo doo-Heroes and villains-doo doo doo" parts.

2/27 was a session at Western, at least two vocal sessions took place between 2/20 and 2/27.
27. Heroes And Villains: Part Two (Master Take) 2/27/67 [Heroes And Villains Sesssion: 2/27/67]
28. Heroes And Villains: Fade 2/28/67 [Heroes And Villains Sesssion: 2/27/67]

Notice how track 28 is listed as being from two different sessions. Not sure if that's just an error or what. In any event we know what the fade is, no mystery there. Of course that raises questions whether "Part 2" is also the fade, as listed on the UM 17 boot. Sort of uncertain as to what these two pieces represent.

The next session is from Western 3/1, the last sessions before this one were 2/27 and 2/28.
29. Heroes And Villains: Verse remake [Heroes And Villains Session: 3/1/67]
30. Heroes And Villains: Organ Waltz / Intro [Heroes And Villains Session: 3/1/67]

I imagine the "Intro" here is the one we know and love, perhaps these were overdubs on the original track. I have no idea what "Organ Waltz" is, somebody said earlier in the thread that they heard a boot of Van Dyke playing the intro on Organ, I don't think I've ever heard that, and the date here is after Van Dyke left isn't it? On inspection this appears to be the track "Evening Session" from Heroes and Villains Sessions Volume 1
In what way was the verse section remade? A total rerecord? Are we getting closer to the Smiley version of the song at this session? If "Evening Session" is indeed only one session, the 3/1/67 Western session, then that track also seems to include "Verse Remake", which would be 1:25 to 2:17 of that track.

The final session on the box is 6/14, the only Heroes session following 3/1 was a 3/2 session at Western. The 6/14 session is a Smiley session that took place in Brian's home studio:
31. Heroes And Villains: Chorus Vocals [Heroes And Villains Session: 6/14/67]
32. Heroes And Villains: Barbershop [Heroes And Villains Session: 6/14/67]
33. Heroes And Villains: Children Were Raised (Remake) [Heroes And Villains Session: 6/14/67]
34. Heroes And Villains: Children Were Raised (Master Take Overdubs Mix 1) [Heroes And Villains Session: 6/14/67]
35. Heroes And Villains: Children Were Raised (Master Take A Capella) [Heroes And Villains Session: 6/14/67]

It seems these are all vocal bits. Children Were Raised and Chorus vocals sound self explanatory. Barbershop is totally unknown to me, maybe just an outtake or rehearsal or something, done on the fly by the guys. I imagine The Children Were Raised here is the "regular" version without the "Often wise" part.

This is amazing work Fish.  To answer your question about the initial H&V session from May 66' I believe that session was taped over perhaps by GV sessions later that year?  Either way I believe it's lost to time.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2011, 11:21:04 AM »

Sorry to spoil it for you, but it specifically says 'Single version'.

Right, got carried away for a moment. No biggie - I'm just happy the first disc "Good Vibrations" is something different (perhaps the single plus "hum de dum" vocal section and an extended fade).
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 11:21:25 AM »

This is all great work from you all. I thought I knew a lot but I don't compared to you all I will follow up with more about the tracks I know later on tonight but do keep on replying this is all an amazing read making me Smiley.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2011, 11:45:34 AM »

Here are the timings for the "album" - any comments please to add to mine would be gratefully appreciated and of course corrections - FISHMONK where are you?Huh?

SMiLE

1.  Our Prayer (1:06) - normal length

2.  Gee (0:51) - HuhHuh?

3.  Heroes And Villains (4:53) - that's longer than BWPS -  in fact its very long - not the Cantina version either

4.  Do You Like Worms (Roll Plymouth Rock) (3:36) - shorter than UM and Linett mix

5.  I’m In Great Shape (0:29) - No idea

6.  Barnyard (0:48) - normal

7.  My Only Sunshine (The Old Master Painter / You Are My Sunshine) (1:57) - normalish

8.  Cabin Essence (3:32) - standard  **End of Side One**

9.  Wonderful (2:04) - standard

10.  Look (Song For Children) (2:31) - standard

11.  Child Is Father Of The Man (2:14) - BWPS length - longer than ML mix

12.  Surf’s Up (4:12) - longer than GV box and BWPS  **End of Side Two**

13.  I Wanna Be Around / Workshop (1:23) - nothing odd

14.  Vega-Tables (3:49) - that's long - longer than BWPS, LInett mix etc

15.  Holidays (2:33) - standardish

16.  Wind Chimes (3:06) - standardish

17.  The Elements: Fire (Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow) (2:35) - longer than BWPS - intro included?Huh

18.  Love To Say Dada (2:32) - UM Vol 17

19.  Good Vibrations (4:13) - that ain't the single then

To me this is great news because it means the tracks are not all forced together as in BWPS--and we get the fades!  Old Master Painter, for example, almost has to be YAMS + OMP + Barnshine fade.

As for H&V, remember Linett's comment about unused sections for the single.  I would think there's a good chance those are in there, and that we're not just getting the BWPS version.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2011, 12:08:22 PM »

The next 6 tracks are from another session at Columbia, January 5th session at Western and and a January 20th session at Columbia aren't represented.
13. Heroes And Villains: Children Were Raised [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/27/67]
14. Heroes And Villains: Part 2 (Cantina track) [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/27/67]
15. Heroes And Villains: Whistling Bridge [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/27/67]
18. Heroes And Villains: Verse Edit Experiment [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/27/67]

The Children Were Raised section here I guess is the "often wise" version. This session seems to be represented on the H&V Sessions Boot as well. All Day is the "early" version of Dada. There are two versions of the Cantina section here, I wonder what the difference is? Maybe one has vocals and one doesn't? "Whistling Bridge" is available as "Dumb Whistle", that's pretty well known.
Finally there's "Verse Edit Experiment", on the H&V Session Boot there appears between the other tracks in this cluster, tracks labeled "Mix Session" and "Test Edit", that seem to be unextraordinary fumblings with vocal mixes. I reckon "Mix Session" may be what "Verse Edit Experiment" is.

My post above maybe got lost on the excitement, but to reiterate

I think the track Da Da (Taped Piano Strings) appears on one of the H&V boots as "All Day" Sounds very much like a piano with the strings muffled with tape to me.

However "All Day" is on the box, disk 2 track 17, so maybe some confusion on titles, it's happened many times. If so, what is "All Day" if not an early LTSDaDa?

In the liner notes of the SS/WH twofer David says this of "Whistle In"
A version of this was recorded on 1/27/67

Looking a\t the boxset, we have Whistling Bridge [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/27/67 Surely this is the Whistling part on the Cantina version?

Maybe All Day [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/27/67 is Whistle In. I've always thought this because of the lyrics

No rhodes version though, this one excites me.

I also think (hope, based on no evidence) that the H&V track Pickup To 3rd Verse may be the piano rehearsal track from the H&V boots which I mentioned yesterday. I really hope they found that vocal session finished.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2011, 12:16:50 PM »

Brian's site also has the timings for the other 4 discs.....

The SMiLE Sessions Box Set (5CD+Double LP+Two 7” Singles; digital)
CD ONE
SMiLE
1. Our Prayer (1:06)
2. Gee (0:51)
3. Heroes And Villains (4:53)
4. Do You Like Worms (Roll Plymouth Rock) (3:36)
5. I’m In Great Shape (0:29)
6. Barnyard (0:48)
7. My Only Sunshine (The Old Master Painter / You Are My Sunshine) (1:57)
8. Cabin Essence (3:32)
9. Wonderful (2:04)
10. Look (Song For Children) (2:31)
11. Child Is Father Of The Man (2:14)
12. Surf’s Up (4:12)
13. I Wanna Be Around / Workshop (1:23)
14. Vega-Tables (3:49)
15. Holidays (2:33)
16. Wind Chimes (3:06)
17. The Elements: Fire (Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow) (2:35)
18. Love To Say Dada (2:32)
19. Good Vibrations (4:13)
Bonus Tracks
20. You’re Welcome (1:08)
21. Heroes And Villains (Stereo Mix) (4:53)
22. Heroes And Villains Sections (Stereo Mix) (7:16)
23. Vega-Tables Demo (1:46)
24. He Gives Speeches (1:14)
25. Smile Backing Vocals Montage (8:30)
26. Surf’s Up 1967 (Solo version) (4:09)
27. Psycodelic Sounds: Brian Falls Into A Piano (1:30)

CD TWO
SESSION HIGHLIGHTS
OUR PRAYER
1. Our Prayer "Dialog" (9/19/66) (3:01)
2. Our Prayer (10/4/66) (6:37)
HEROES AND VILLAINS
Heroes And Villains Session (10/20/66)
3. Heroes And Villains: Verse (Master Take) (0:57)
4. Heroes And Villains: Barnyard (Master Take) (1:12)
5. Heroes And Villains: I'm In Great Shape (10/27/66) (4:59)
6. Heroes And Villains: Intro (Early Version) circa 12/66 (0:35)
Heroes And Villains Session (1/3/67)
7. Heroes And Villains: Do A Lot (0:53)
8. Heroes And Villains: Bag Of Tricks (2:58)
9. Heroes And Villains: Mission Pak (0:55)
10. Heroes And Villains: Bridge To Indians (1:47)
11. Heroes And Villains: Part 1 Tag (1:19)
12. Heroes And Villains: Pickup To 3rd Verse (0:55)
Heroes And Villains Session (1/27/67)
13. Heroes And Villains: Children Were Raised (2:07)
14. Heroes And Villains: Part 2 (Cantina track) (1:21)
15. Heroes And Villains: Whistling Bridge (1:14)
16. Heroes And Villains: Cantina (1:36)
17. Heroes And Villains: All Day (2:19)
18. Heroes And Villains: Verse Edit Experiment (0:48)
Heroes And Villains Session (2/15/67)
19. Heroes And Villains: Prelude to Fade (3:43)
20. Heroes And Villains: Piano Theme (2:43)
Heroes And Villains Session (2/20/67)
21. Heroes And Villains: Part 2 (2:31)
22. Heroes And Villains: Part 2 (Gee) (Master Take) (2:36)
23. Heroes And Villains: Part 2 Revised (1:54)
24. Heroes And Villains: Part 2 Revised (Master Take) (0:48)
25. Heroes And Villains: Part 3 (Animals) (Master Take) (1:18)
26. Heroes And Villains: Part 4 (2:36)
27. Heroes And Villains: Part Two (Master Take) (2/27/67) (1:44)
28. Heroes And Villains: Fade (2/28/67) (6:35)
Heroes And Villains Session (3/1/67)
29. Heroes And Villains: Verse Remake (4:16)
30. Heroes And Villains: Organ Waltz / Intro (2:04)
Heroes And Villains Session (6/14/67)
31. Heroes And Villains: Chorus Vocals (0:48)
32. Heroes And Villains: Barbershop (1:50)
33. Heroes And Villains: Children Were Raised (Remake) (1:06)
34. Heroes And Villains: Children Were Raised (Master Take Overdubs Mix 1) (0:26)
35. Heroes And Villains: Children Were Raised (Master Take A Capella) (0:27)
Bonus Tracks
36. Heroes And Villains Piano Demo (incorporating “I’m In Great Shape” and “Barnyard”) Brian with Van Dyke Parks and “Humble Harve” Miller, KHJ Radio (11/4/66) (4:17)
37. Psycodelic Sounds: Brian Falls Into A Microphone (11/4/66) (1:10)
38. Psycodelic Sounds: Moaning Laughing (11/4/66) (1:09)

CD THREE
SESSION HIGHLIGHTS
DO YOU LIKE WORMS (ROLL PLYMOUTH ROCK)
Do You Like Worms Session (10/18/66)
1. Do You Like Worms: Part 1 (5:21)
2. Do You Like Worms: Part 2 (Bicycle Rider) (1:55)
3. Do You Like Worms: Part 3 (2:43)
4. Do You Like Worms: Part 4 (Bicycle Rider) (1:10)
5. Do You Like Worms: Bicycle Rider Overdubs (Heroes And Villains Part 2) (1/5/67) (0:22)
MY ONLY SUNSHINE
(THE OLD MASTER PAINTER / YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE)
6. My Only Sunshine: Parts 1 & 2 (11/14/66) (6:51)
7. My Only Sunshine: Part 2 (Master Take With Vocal Overdubs) (2/10/67) (0:45)
CABIN ESSENCE
Cabin Essence Session (10/3/66)
8. Cabin Essence: Verse (2:14)
9. Cabin Essence: Chorus (2:28)
10. Cabin Essence: Tag (2:31)
WONDERFUL
11. Wonderful (Version 1) (8/25/66) (2:59)
Wonderful (Version 2 “Rock With Me, Henry”) Session (1/9/67)
12. Wonderful (Version 2) (3:25)
13. Wonderful (Version 2 Tag) (2:54)
14. Wonderful (Version 3) (4/10/67?) (2:41)
LOOK (SONG FOR CHILDREN)
15. Look (8/12/66) (4:52)
CHILD IS FATHER OF THE MAN
16. Child Is Father Of The Man (Version 1) (10/7/66) (4:57)
17. Child Is Father Of The Man (Version 2) (10/11/66) (5:38)
SURF’S UP
18. Surf's Up: 1st Movement (11/4/66) (4:54)
19. Surf's Up: Talking Horns (11/7/66) (3:42)
20. Surf’s Up: Piano Demo (Master Take) (12/15/66) (3:52)
I WANNA BE AROUND / WORKSHOP (FRIDAY NIGHT)
21. I Wanna Be Around (11/29/66) (3:08)
VEGA-TABLES (VEGETABLES)
Vegetables Sessions (4/4/67 – 4/11/67)
22. Vegetables: Verse (Master Take Track) (4/4 – 4/11/67) (2:02)
23. Vegetables: Sleep A Lot (Chorus) (2:34)
24. Vegetables: Chorus 1 (Master Take) (1:05)
25. Vegetables: 2nd Chorus (Master Take Track And Backing Vocals) (1:03)
26. Vegetables: Insert (Part 4) (Master Take) (0:37)

CD FOUR
SESSION HIGHLIGHTS
VEGA-TABLES (VEGETABLES) (continued)
1. Vegetables: Fade (4/12/67) (5:25)
2. Vegetables: Ballad Insert (4/14/67) (1:03)
HOLIDAYS
3. Holidays (9/8/66) (7:32)
WIND CHIMES
4. Wind Chimes (Version 1) (8/3/66) (6:46)
Wind Chimes (Version 2) Session (10/5/66)
5. Wind Chimes (Version 2) (5:00)
6. Wind Chimes (Version 2 Tag) (2:51)
THE ELEMENTS: FIRE (MRS. O’LEARY’S COW)
7. The Elements (Fire) (11/28/66) (8:27)
LOVE TO SAY DADA / COOL, COOL WATER
Da Da Session (12/22/66)
8. Da Da (Taped Piano Strings) (1:00)
9. Da Da (Fender Rhodes) (1:21)
Love To Say Dada Sessions (5/16/67 - 5/18/67)
10. Love To Say Dada: Part 1 (5/16/67) (1:22)
11. Love To Say Dada: Part 2 (5/17/67) (1:57)
12. Love To Say Dada: Part 2 (Master Take) (5/17/67) (1:21)
13. Love To Say Dada: Part 2 (Second Day) (5/18/67) (2:00)
COOL, COOL WATER
14. Cool, Cool Water (Version 1) (6/7/67) (2:21)
15. Cool, Cool Water (Version 2) (10/26/67 & 10/29/67) (3:31)
SMILE ADDITIONAL SESSIONS
16. You're Welcome (12/15/66) (6:41)
17. You're With Me Tonight (6/6–6/7/67) (2:46)
18. Tune X (3/3/67–3/31/67) (2:18)
19. I Don't Know (1/12/67) (3:03)
20. Three Blind Mice (10/15/65) (2:11)
21. Teeter Totter Love (Jasper Dailey) (1/25/67 & 2/9/67) (1:49)
Bonus Tracks
22. Psycodelic Sounds - Underwater Chant (11/4/66) (1:45)
23. Hal Blaine Vega-Tables Promo Session (11/16/66) (1:28)
24. Heroes And Villains: Early Version Outtake Sections (1/67 – 2/67) (5:04)

CD FIVE
SESSION HIGHLIGHTS
GOOD VIBRATIONS SESSIONS
1. Good Vibrations: Gold Star 2/18/66 (The “Pet Sounds” Session) (7:27)
2. Good Vibrations: Gold Star 4/9/66 (6:57)
3. Good Vibrations: Western 5/4/66 (First Chorus) (2:24)
4. Good Vibrations: Western 5/4/66 (Second Chorus & Fade) (3:28)
5. Good Vibrations: Sunset Sound 5/24/66 (Part 1) (1:20)
6. Good Vibrations: Sunset Sound 5/24/66 (Parts 2 & 3) (1:45)
7. Good Vibrations: Sunset Sound 5/24/66 (Part 4) (0:47)
8. Good Vibrations: Western 5/27/66 (Part C) (3:32)
9. Good Vibrations: Western 5/27/66 (Chorus) (3:04)
10. Good Vibrations: Western 5/27/66 (Fade Sequence) (1:56)
11. Good Vibrations (Inspiration): Western 6/2/66 (Part 1) (2:44)
12. Good Vibrations (Inspiration): Western 6/2/66 (Part 3) (0:57)
13. Good Vibrations (Inspiration): Western 6/2/66 (Part 4) (0:49)
14. Good Vibrations: Western 6/16/66 (Part 1) (6:24)
15. Good Vibrations: Western 6/16/66 (Part 2 & Verse) (1:06)
16. Good Vibrations: Western 6/16/66 (Part 2 Continued) (5:55)
17. Good Vibrations: Western 6/18/66 (Part 1) (1:10)
18. Good Vibrations: Western 6/18/66 (Part 2) (5:03)
19. Good Vibrations (Persuasion): Western 9/1/66 (1:49)
20. Good Vibrations: Western 9/1/66 (New Bridge) (3:39)
21. Good Vibrations: Session Masters (6:13)
22. Good Vibrations: Single Version Stereo Track (3:49)
23. Good Good Good Vibrations (First Version With Overdubs) 3/66 (3:41)
24. Good Vibrations: Alternate Edit 8/24/66 (3:32)

The LP's and 45's aren't given timings.

Does that clear up anything for the speculators amongst us?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2011, 12:52:12 PM »

My post above maybe got lost on the excitement, but to reiterate

I think the track Da Da (Taped Piano Strings) appears on one of the H&V boots as "All Day" Sounds very much like a piano with the strings muffled with tape to me.

However "All Day" is on the box, disk 2 track 17, so maybe some confusion on titles, it's happened many times. If so, what is "All Day" if not an early LTSDaDa?

In the liner notes of the SS/WH twofer David says this of "Whistle In"
A version of this was recorded on 1/27/67

Looking a\t the boxset, we have Whistling Bridge [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/27/67 Surely this is the Whistling part on the Cantina version?

Maybe All Day [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/27/67 is Whistle In. I've always thought this because of the lyrics

No rhodes version though, this one excites me.

I also think (hope, based on no evidence) that the H&V track Pickup To 3rd Verse may be the piano rehearsal track from the H&V boots which I mentioned yesterday. I really hope they found that vocal session finished.

These are some really good points.

I have to wonder though why did they retitle "whistle in" as "all day"? Surely Mark and Alan were well aware of the canonical title "all day". Listen to the boots and the engineer explicitly says "All Day, Take 1...". I think everyone has generally agreed that "All Day" dated from a January Heroes session, not a 1966 session. On The Heroes and Villains Sessions Volume 2, I think many of tracks come from the same sessions with the rest of the material there being from January sessions.

A January Whistle In has never been booted as far as I can tell, so it would be new either way. But I don't think that's exactly what's going on. If it was I think Mark and Alan would have called the track "Whistle In" instead of using "All Day".

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2011, 01:01:45 PM »

We're not going to know until we hear it. The track listings have raised more questions than answers. At least now though we know we have a finite time to wait.

I'll get back to the boots.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2011, 01:05:35 PM »

We're not going to know until we hear it. The track listings have raised more questions than answers. At least now though we know we have a finite time to wait.

I'll get back to the boots.

Which makes me think, will the boots stop after the box set conmes out, or will some influx of new material make more? I love the randomness of them!

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2011, 01:10:35 PM »

21. Heroes And Villains: Part 2 (2:31)

27. Heroes And Villains: Part Two (Master Take) (2/27/67) (1:44)

Does that clear up anything for the speculators amongst us?

I'm now confused as to what "Heroes & Villains Part 2" is. It's starting to look like the 4:18 "H & V Part 2" featured on the 2 CD incarnation is only available on the 45 vinyl single if you buy the full box set. Unless the box set "Part 2" is divided up into the two sections mentioned above (which comes out to about 4:15, right?).

I assume that if a track is not listed as a "Master Take", then it is a compilation of various session highlights, so either the "Part 2" featured on the 2 CD set is a combo of session highlights followed by the master take or box set purchasers will only hear the full "Part 2" on the vinyl.

Also, I don't find the "Part 2" / "Part Two" designations helpful at all!  Undecided
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 01:12:51 PM by Roger Ryan » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2011, 01:13:52 PM »

This is the parts 1 & 2 on disc 1:

22. Heroes And Villains Sections (Stereo Mix) (Bonus Track)

Isn't that correct?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2011, 01:16:13 PM »

That's not long enough - it's the same length as the 'regular' H&V on the regular tracklisting.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2011, 01:18:49 PM »

I got a timing of 7:26 coming H&V Parts One & Two on the standard 2 disc issue.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2011, 01:19:42 PM »

That's not long enough - it's the same length as the 'regular' H&V on the regular tracklisting.

Really? 7:16 seems about right to me.

22. Heroes And Villains Sections (Stereo Mix) (7:16)
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2011, 01:20:26 PM »

This is the parts 1 & 2 on disc 1:

22. Heroes And Villains Sections (Stereo Mix) (Bonus Track)

Isn't that correct?

"Part 1 & 2" together = 7:26 whereas "Sections" times out at 7:16. Also, why repeat the same content on two discs?

I'm now thinking that the 2 CD "Parts 1 & 2" are just edited session highlights since everything surrounding those tracks are session highlights. However, why would you put session highlights on the 45 single?
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2011, 01:59:27 PM »

YES!!!

Ah, I didn't see the track bit. however, at the end of the trailer, Good vibrations IS in Stereo

Soory, all change, I just listened again, and it is in mono. I wonder why I got the stereo idea... Ah vell..

Apparently, the original video with the stereo tracks was pulled and substituted with one featuring mono mixes (more accurate). "Good Vibrations" now fades out (on an extended outro from the single) instead of the dry ending the stereo one had.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2011, 02:05:18 PM »

YES!!!

Apparently, the original video with the stereo tracks was pulled and substituted with one featuring mono mixes (more accurate). "Good Vibrations" now fades out (on an extended outro from the single) instead of the dry ending the stereo one had.

I see, the video I have download (Before the YouTube upload) is stereo!

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2011, 04:57:12 PM »

Despite my love for Pink Floyd and 'DSOTM', I'm upset that they get a better box set and promo video than the "Smile Sessions".  We could have had a coaster set with each Beach Boy's face on it.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/unreleased-pink-floyd-songs-hit-radio-airwaves/

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »

Despite my love for Pink Floyd and 'DSOTM', I'm upset that they get a better box set and promo video than the "Smile Sessions".  We could have had a coaster set with each Beach Boy's face on it.

Still debating on whether to get that. On one hand, I don't need the disc that has the quad and 5:1 as I don't have the equipment for that.

On the other hand, this is my favorite album that's not Beach Boys or Beatles. Discovered this around the time I got Pet Sounds (when I was about 15-16.)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2011, 06:19:52 PM »

Still debating on whether to get that. On one hand, I don't need the disc that has the quad and 5:1 as I don't have the equipment for that.

On the other hand, this is my favorite album that's not Beach Boys or Beatles. Discovered this around the time I got Pet Sounds (when I was about 15-16.)

I feel the same way.  Not really sure I care about PF unreleased live tracks.  I'll probably opt for the two Cd set although I already have the DSOTM SACD, which sounds awesome!

Though I just did pre-order the Who's ‘Quadrophenia: The Director’s Cut’ Box Set

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/the-who-quadrophenia-the-directors-cut-box-set/

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx