gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 07:05:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Now that smile is being released..  (Read 13027 times)
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, 12:01:44 PM »

Lifehouse is a pretentious concept.

It may be, but any album that would have included "Won't Get Fooled Again", " Pure & Easy", "Baba O'Reilly", "Join Together", "Greyhound Girl", and "Relay", would have been f***ing incredible, regardless of how much a "pretentious concept" it is.

It was actually gonna have Sister Disco and Who Are You on it too lol.

I'm betting that was later on, not in 1971.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 12:03:41 PM »

Lifehouse Chronicles features demos of both songs.

Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 12:08:34 PM »

I don't have LC...when were they demoed/written?  I always assumed they were written closer to 1978.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 12:12:50 PM »

what do you think will be the album to take it's place as the most famous unreleased album of all times..I  want to throw in Jan Berry's version of "filet of soul","get back" (with original mixes/concept) or "carnival of light" (both by the Beatles) as contenders..any thoughts?

Not the most famous, but I'd love to see "The 'Can't Wait Too Long' Sessions."
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, 12:27:56 PM »

I don't have LC...when were they demoed/written?  I always assumed they were written closer to 1978.

they were intended to be a part of the original tracklisting, the who version of lifehouse 1971.

roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2011, 12:30:14 PM »

How about the following. Bearing in mind you could probably start a decent sized thread on unreleased Neil Young albums......

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Human Highway

Yeah I'm pretty excited for the unreleased albums that will (eventually) be released as a part of Archives Vol. 2

"Four unreleased albums from this period are being rebuilt and will be available in the NYA Special Release Series. Chrome Dreams, Homegrown and Oceanside-Countryside are the three unreleased studio albums. Also from this period is the unreleased Odeon-Budokan live recording produced by David Briggs and Tim Mulligan. These albums initially will be released in vinyl from analog masters as they originally were created for that format."

Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2011, 12:41:36 PM »

they were intended to be a part of the original tracklisting, the who version of lifehouse 1971.

OK, thanks.  But I thought "Who Are You" was written after an altercation with some punk rockers...or does the demo have different lyrics?
Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2011, 12:44:24 PM »

I'm fairly sure they were written for a later attempt (of which there were a few) at completing Lifehouse circa 1977, and were not part of the original album as conceived in 1970/71.

FWIW, here's a tracklisting, based on the order Pete put them in on Lifehouse Chronicles

"Teenage Wasteland" (Lifehouse Chronicles)[3]
"Going Mobile" (Who's Next)
"Baba O'Riley" (Who's Next)
"Time Is Passing" (Who Came First) (recorded by The Who in 1971)
"Love Ain't for Keeping" (Who's Next)
"Bargain" (Who's Next)
"Too Much of Anything" (Odds & Sods) (recorded by The Who in 1971)
"Music Must Change" (Who Are You)
"Greyhound Girl" (Live at Lyon) (Believed to have been recorded by The Who in 1971)
"Mary" (Scoop)[3] (Recorded by The Who in 1971)
"Behind Blue Eyes" (Who's Next)
"Baba O'Riley (Instrumental)" (Lifehouse Chronicles)[3]
"Sister Disco'" (Who Are You)
"I Don't Even Know Myself" (Rarities Volume II)
"Put the Money Down" (Odds & Sods)
"Pure and Easy" (Who Came First) (Recorded by The Who in 1971)
"Getting in Tune" (Who's Next)
"Let's See Action" (Who Came First) (Recorded by The Who in 1971)
"Slip Kid" (The Who by Numbers)
"Relay" (Hooligans)
"Who Are You" (Who Are You)
"Join Together" (Hooligans)
"Won't Get Fooled Again" (Who's Next)
"The Song Is Over" (Who's Next)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 12:48:47 PM by Dead Parrot » Logged
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2011, 12:46:57 PM »

I'm fairly sure they were written for a later attempt (of which there were a few) at completing Lifehouse circa 1977, and were not part of the original album as conceived in 1970/71.

I think we got the better deal anyway with "Who's Next." It's concise and rockin'.  IMHO, the full "Pure & Easy" would've been a much better choice than "Love Ain't for Keeping," but "Join Together" and "Relay" are of lesser quality than the rest of the songs that made the final cut.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 12:49:48 PM by Ganz Allein » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2011, 12:49:56 PM »

I think we got the better deal anyway with "Who's Next." It's concise and rockin'.  IMHO, "Join Together" and "Relay" are of lesser quality than the songs that made the final cut.
Who's next is the anti-Smiley Smile in terms of public reception.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2011, 01:00:45 PM »

FWIW, here's a tracklisting, based on the order Pete put them in on Lifehouse Chronicles

"Bargain" (Who's Next)
"Greyhound Girl" (Live at Lyon) (Believed to have been recorded by The Who in 1971)
"Relay" (Hooligans)

This is more my understanding too.  I just checked copyrights and "Sister Disco" and "Who Are You" were copyrighted 1978 (not a guarantee they weren't written much earlier, but if they had been intended for 1971 Lifehouse I think they would have an earlier copyright).  A Who version of "Mary" has never turned up...kind of a Who holy grail for me as I find the Townshend demo very haunting.  In subsequent performances he plays it acoustically, and I wonder if The Who would have made it sound more like "Behind Blue Eyes." 
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2011, 01:02:46 PM »

I think we got the better deal anyway with "Who's Next." It's concise and rockin'.  IMHO, the full "Pure & Easy" would've been a much better choice than "Love Ain't for Keeping," but "Join Together" and "Relay" are of lesser quality than the rest of the songs that made the final cut.

In the original "Odds and Sods" liner notes, even Townshend expresses surprise that "Pure & Easy" didn't make it on the album. 
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2011, 01:52:34 PM »

what do you think will be the album to take it's place as the most famous unreleased album of all times..I  want to throw in Jan Berry's version of "filet of soul","get back" (with original mixes/concept) or "carnival of light" (both by the Beatles) as contenders..any thoughts?
Carnival of Light was to be an album?
I thought it was just a song.

From what AGD has said, it's nothing to write home about

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2011, 02:00:53 PM »

but "Join Together" and "Relay" are of lesser quality than the rest of the songs that made the final cut.

Join Together is one of my all time favorite Who tunes.  It and Pure and Easy would have been nice additions to Who's Next, but it's kcikin' album as it is too.  An incredible leap for them sonically/production wise - must have blown minds at the time.  
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2011, 03:05:25 PM »

"Bargain" (Who's Next)
"Relay" (Hooligans)

This is more my understanding too.  I just checked copyrights and "Sister Disco" and "Who Are You" were copyrighted 1978 (not a guarantee they weren't written much earlier, but if they had been intended for 1971 Lifehouse I think they would have an earlier copyright).  A Who version of "Mary" has never turned up...kind of a Who holy grail for me as I find the Townshend demo very haunting.  In subsequent performances he plays it acoustically, and I wonder if The Who would have made it sound more like "Behind Blue Eyes." 

Mary, Pete's Solo Who Are You (Better, IMO) and Teenage Wasteland (NOT BABA O' RILEY) Make the set worth every penny.

Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2011, 03:30:38 PM »

A Who version of "Mary" has never turned up...kind of a Who holy grail for me as I find the Townshend demo very haunting. 

I seem to remember reading something about a tape of the version of "Mary" by The Who showing up, but the tape being so damaged as to be unusable.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2011, 04:16:39 PM »

A Who version of "Mary" has never turned up...kind of a Who holy grail for me as I find the Townshend demo very haunting. 

I seem to remember reading something about a tape of the version of "Mary" by The Who showing up, but the tape being so damaged as to be unusable.

I've read that too, but always have hoped maybe a rough mix cassette would show up under Pete's sink.  I guess not just the Beach Boys have had a hard time keeping their tape archives intact.
ghost
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2011, 05:51:41 PM »

From what AGD has said, it's nothing to write home about

dear mom and pop

it's me punkinhead. college is going good i can drink many beers before vomiting now. mY grAdess ar GooD. i miss my pad n the places ive known. kiss the dog for me.

plank
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2011, 06:35:02 PM »

The Beach Boys - Smile

My reasoning? It was never finished. Therefore it's unreleased. We're getting a box set of the sessions. Period.

Exactly.  It amuses me just how much people are over-scrutinizing this release.  No matter how well they put these fragments together, there will still be noticeable holes were vocals should have been.  I think there well be more than a few people who walk away from this not completely satisfied.

And technically speaking, SMiLE did see an official release back in 2004...
No incorrect BWPS was released.

In the words of George Carlin: "Are we gonna go through this sh*t again?"
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2011, 07:55:04 PM »

Whn needs Lifehouse when we already have The Who Sell Out?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2011, 08:45:59 PM »

No they weren't. That was from another attempt at Lifehouse several years later, with some newly written material.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2011, 05:23:54 AM »

Pharoah the Great recorded 4300 BC. But the tapes were destroyed in the Red Sea collapse in pursuit of the Israelites.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2011, 12:17:40 PM »

Whn needs Lifehouse when we already have The Who Sell Out?

That's like saying why do we need Pet Sounds when we have Beach Boys Party?

ghost
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2011, 12:27:58 PM »

Why do we need that pretentious heap of overproduction anyway when just as much tender emotion is found in places on Party and just as much youthful enthusiastic idealism.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2011, 12:50:44 PM »

Why do we need that pretentious heap of overproduction anyway when just as much tender emotion is found in places on Party and just as much youthful enthusiastic idealism.

Because popular recording artists need to continue making records in order to sustain their career.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx