gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:29:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds is emotional death.  (Read 3294 times)
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2006, 07:48:34 PM »

I've got nothing new to say. I want to cry. I will soon. Can't stop thinking about a girl i'm bummed over. Pet Sounds is stabbing my left and right in my stomach. "Let's Go Away For Awhile" perhaps speaks more to me than any of the songs. It's been a long time since i've had a really strong connection with the album. I've got nothing new to say.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 07:56:23 PM »

I've had similar experiences.  Listening to Pet Sounds when you're down like that can feel like you're almost comiserating with Brian himself.  Caroline, No is always the one that does it most for me. 
mike thornton
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 08:05:09 PM »

the only thing i can say is i've felt your pain. waaaay too many times. and it never got any easier nor better. some of it was never meant to be (you think she is someone she is not), she ended up being toxic (you needed to get out because she would kill you. sensitive guy falls for princess. princess ends up being selfish and narcissistic therefore sucking the life out you), you move away/she moves away (love dissipates), your beliefs/ethics are different (hard to overcome), etc. take care of yourself...bw heals.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 08:12:16 PM »

"That's Not Me".  That's all I have to say.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 03:15:05 AM »

When you're in some kind of emotional pain, particularly with regard to affairs of the heart, do you think listening to music of a lovelorn melancholy mood, such as Pet Sounds, is good therapy or does it ultimately just make you feel worse? 

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 04:29:39 AM »

Pet Sounds can really stab you in the heart...or make you feel joy.

Funny that apparently "Wouldn't It Be Nice" was written because Brian had a crush on his wife's sister...

I'm married, but got too close to another girl a couple of years ago and that song just kept reminding me of the situation.

Anyone who has ever experienced the emotional rollercoaster that love can be...will identify with the themes and emotions of the songs contained in Pet Sounds.

Now here's one to write a song about....that girl and I emotionally extracted ourselves, and she's friends with both myself and the wife...(and yes, my wife knows what happend)...one heck of a happy ending there...
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 04:38:23 AM »

Now here's one to write a song about....that girl and I emotionally extracted ourselves, and she's friends with both myself and the wife...(and yes, my wife knows what happend)...one heck of a happy ending there...

'Triad' by The Byrds?!?!   Wink

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 05:58:35 AM »

Too true. Always the album I put on at the end of  a relationship... I'd like to say I'll never hear it again but it strikes cheerful chords too.

Plus That's Not Me IS about me actually...

And Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder) was the tune to which one lass put her head on my shoulder...

Sloop John B though just doesn't strike an emotional chord, but then I never did get pressganged...

“We live in divisive times.”
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 07:01:16 AM »

I always find Sloop John B is a great piece of fun that roughly comes in the middle of the album to provide a brief respite from the emotional content.

A bit like putting a few gags in the middle of a really serious film.

As for triad....well that was never something I even considered but it's good that were all friends, and that there are no secrets any more.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 09:02:04 AM »

"God Only Knows" does it for me when I'm in this type of situation. I really do connect with the Pet Sounds album whenever I feel depressed about anything, but mostly when it comes to situations with girls.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 10:36:10 AM »

Every song has some sort of tie for me it seems...example in my last relationship, our "song" was Wouldn't It Be Nice, because we always talked about how eager we were to start a life together but couldn't yet because we were both in college.  I haven't listened to that song more than once since she broke up with me in November, and honestly at this point I don't know how long it will take before I listen again.  God Only Knows is similar (though not as bad) because her favorite movie is Love, Actually, which features the song at the end.  I could go on forever about songs like You Still Believe In Me, Don't Talk, Here Today, etc.  Right after the breakup I made it a point to go down to my studio, turn off all the lights and play the album from start to finish (that was the last time I listened to WIBN), just lying on the floor and taking it all in.  Quite the experience I must say. 
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 11:02:28 AM »

It's tough making a joyful emotional connection to music that you've loved for so long and then having the emotional connection turn to sadness or whatever else. The music's not the same after that, so it's kind of weird to "give away" your music like that.

Watch out for snakes!
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 02:35:34 PM »

the only thing i can say is i've felt your pain. waaaay too many times. and it never got any easier nor better. some of it was never meant to be (you think she is someone she is not), she ended up being toxic (you needed to get out because she would kill you. sensitive guy falls for princess. princess ends up being selfish and narcissistic therefore sucking the life out you), you move away/she moves away (love dissipates), your beliefs/ethics are different (hard to overcome), etc. take care of yourself...bw heals.

Wow man, you just summarized so much about why this album resonates with me and will continue to do so.  Thank you for that.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx