gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 11:49:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: are these the Lei'd in Hawaii things?  (Read 10095 times)
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2006, 12:37:02 PM »

Right at the end, while Mike is thanking you for coming to the show, during the "Bicycle Rider" fade-out, Brian seems to sing something ad-libbed.  All I can get for sure is "...been eatin..."

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2006, 01:13:18 PM »

Paints a nice picture of Marilyn, ay?

Evil

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2006, 08:16:18 AM »

i love that marilyn rovell ... she's hot

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2006, 09:07:44 AM »

...been eatin' a lot of....ummmm..."kitty", is what I heard.  Is that what others have heard?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2006, 09:22:22 AM »

Was and is.

It's very believable that Brian wrote that scripted part for Mike to say. A few reasons might supply a definate answer.

- Heroes and Villains was worked on more than Good Vibrations. It was hoped by all to be bigger, better, and shoot them into even higher fame and glory than ever.

- As the SMiLE album died out and became Smiley Smile the song was re-recorded somewhat. It then lost all sense of dynamacism that it once had. And it once did with such grace and glory. It was a bumbling trek through all that is cool in the world.

- Brian held onto the final version of the song for ages. He thought it was going to be some huge hit when infact it wasn't. It was cool, but it was no Good Vibrations and people already gained their doubts.

So to mock all of his work in a sick attempt to re-motivate himself and get back on track with music, he scripts out the thing for Mike Love to say. It's every thought Brian has about the song, now looking at it as a fan and not himself deep within the song and its recording. It's something i'm prone to doing all the time. I'll look back on myself and remark on how "stupid" certain things were.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2006, 09:47:31 AM »

That California Girls is pretty cool...just a completely different vibe than what it turned into.  Especially the outro.

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2006, 03:19:10 PM »

Are the live performances any more animated in any way?

In the Badman book, there's a review of the show which details Brian Wilson's new "organ playing talent". I always wondered about this since, well, Brian was always a great keyboard player being it his main instrument.

Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2006, 03:50:27 PM »

It's very believable that Brian wrote that scripted part for Mike to say.

I've learned that nothing is too bizarre to rule out in the land of Brian Wilson.  But the first thing I would need to believe that Mike was scripted is any scrap of direct evidence to that effect.

Also, compare that track to "Cassius Love Vs. Sonny Wilson" and see if it still sounds like Mike's reading a script.  Maybe he'd spent the intervening years studying The Method with Stanislavsky.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2006, 07:10:05 PM »

Joe,  I doubt there is direct evidence that either Brian or Mike "wrote" it.  As I remember there is aural evidence that Brian tells Mike one take of the H&V spoof is "great" and another take "cracked him up" plus there is Brian doing his own afore-mentioned naughty spoof of the lyrics.  I suppose that at the at least two takes says something about the scriptedness or candidness or something.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2006, 08:57:32 PM »

Without any evidence of truth, it has to go into the category of unsupported theory.  I'd certainly like to hear the additional audio (are other takes available?).  I have to say, I can't imagine how Brian's piss take on the lyrics at the very end of the blown take are any evidence whatsoever that Mike's previous comments are scripted by Brian, or how that has any bearing.  Again, I'm not ruling it out; just waiting for the supporting data...

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2006, 10:26:12 AM »

Didn't noted Beach Boys historian Peter Reum confirm that it was scripted by Brian?  Brian told him so, or I don't remember.  It seemed like pretty solid evidence, if I remember correctly.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2006, 12:55:14 AM »

...been eatin' a lot of....ummmm..."kitty", is what I heard.  Is that what others have heard?
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm hearing now that you said so.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
woolpitch
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2006, 11:41:11 PM »

back to our favourite Baldwin organ for a second...anyone know the model of that thing?

But the trick is you shouldn't laugh...
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2006, 11:08:11 AM »

"Baldwin Theatre Organ"
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 12:29:02 PM »

Considering everyone bemoans the "DDT" (Dreaded Double Thread) I think this - Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.
- is a bit misleading.

Anyhow - I just got into Lei'd in Hawaii and if anyone wants to revive discussion after an eight year hiatus, bienvenidos.

I constructed a Lei'd in Hawaii playlist from what we have so far, it's only 8 tracks (obviously) and an intro to "Surfin'" I think is hilarious.

It goes nicely as a bonus EP to Smiley Smile.

Lei'd in Hawaii

1. Help You, Rhonda (Lei'd in Hawaii studio) - MIC
2. God Only Knows (live 1967 rehearsal) - Endless Harmony ST
3. California Girls (Lei'd in Hawaii studio) - MIC
4. The Letter (live rehearsal 1967) - MIC
5. You're So Good To Me - Wally Heider boot
6. Their Hearts Were Full of Spring - Wally Heider boot
7. Surfin' rehearsal - Aloha from Hawaii....and Hollywood
8. Surfer Girl (live in Hawaii rehearsal) - GV:30 Years
9. Heroes & Villains - Concert/Live in London two-fer
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2014, 08:52:18 PM »

Considering everyone bemoans the "DDT" (Dreaded Double Thread) I think this - Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.
- is a bit misleading.

Anyhow - I just got into Lei'd in Hawaii and if anyone wants to revive discussion after an eight year hiatus, bienvenidos.

I constructed a Lei'd in Hawaii playlist from what we have so far, it's only 8 tracks (obviously) and an intro to "Surfin'" I think is hilarious.

It goes nicely as a bonus EP to Smiley Smile.

Lei'd in Hawaii

1. Help You, Rhonda (Lei'd in Hawaii studio) - MIC
2. God Only Knows (live 1967 rehearsal) - Endless Harmony ST
3. California Girls (Lei'd in Hawaii studio) - MIC
4. The Letter (live rehearsal 1967) - MIC
5. You're So Good To Me - Wally Heider boot
6. Their Hearts Were Full of Spring - Wally Heider boot
7. Surfin' rehearsal - Aloha from Hawaii....and Hollywood
8. Surfer Girl (live in Hawaii rehearsal) - GV:30 Years
9. Heroes & Villains - Concert/Live in London two-fer
What's the difference between the Wally a sided boot and Smiley/Wild Honey twofer bonus track of Their Hearts were Full of Spring? I've only heard THAFOS Hawaii rehearsal on that twofer.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2014, 07:36:31 AM »

Eatin' up her wild honey!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2014, 08:51:49 AM »

Just thinking about Melinda reading that is giving me a Grinch smile Smiley

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2014, 03:43:53 PM »

Just thinking about Melinda reading that is giving me a Grinch smile Smiley
Haha, I had the same creepy smile too.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx