gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680903 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 06, 2024, 09:18:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is Brian recording?  (Read 7575 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 09:35:49 AM »

Hoping he is writing new material for a reunion with the Beach Boys. Smiley

Interestingly Mike mentioned that Brian wrote some songs that he wanted Mike to write lyrics for. Maybe it's some of this mentioned stuff.....
Hoping so because I saw Mike and Bruce live on Saturday and his voice still has enough left in it for Mike to sound good in a studio setting. Bruce can also sound good if he rests up his voice.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 09:37:02 AM »

I STILL want a properly finished version of "Can't Wait Too Long". 'Tis a mini-SMiLE unto itself.
Same here, Brian has done it in concert so why not finish it as a mini-smile song for a new album.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 10:25:01 AM »

How Bout'

"SMiRK"?
A "Senior Citizen's Symphony to God"

Then, when it gets canceled...

"Smirky Smirk!"

Lol, JK, I agree, "Can't Wait too Long" is Probably the best reason to buy the "Smiley-twofer"

ghost
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 10:33:19 AM »

Does Brian write songs to Melinda? Does she inspire him musically? I would not mind an album ALL ABOUT MELINDA if it meant 100% new Brian Wilson songs [hopefully recorded solo with an 8-track and equipment he knows his way around]. Anyone else dig this idea? You don't have to release it as a big to do, just put it out online and let us buy it if we want to.

Where would Brian be happier - on tour playing the same old stuff or at home recording lots of little brilliant things without the burden of having to put it all together as an album? We've been worshipping this man's FRAGMENTS OF MUSIC for ages now - why not continue the tradition? Imagine how much of a cool community event it would feel here if every week Brian got a new song or fragment of a song put online for us to download for a buck [not share illegally since it would be so cool that he'd do it] and we all loved it?

I guess I'm that kind of fan - I don't really care about the big album productions anymore. I care about Brian and usually enjoy hearing him alone at a piano more than any full band thing. Even when Brian is out of it in his own trip he's fascinating to watch. He makes regular performers seem like faceless nothings.
ghost
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2011, 10:34:55 AM »

Reading over my post makes me wonder - why has there never been a totally solo album yet? Brian at the piano ALONE. Just doing whatever, ANYTHING HE WANTS. Play Be My Baby for 30 seconds then something else. Stop for a while and zone out. Eat a sandwich. Enjoy. I WANT TO HEAR IT.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2011, 10:48:54 AM »

Yes, Ghost, something really stripped down might be interesting. He's generally known for big productions, but if he returned to the mode of Surf's Up Demo or Smiley, that could be really interesting too.

Good idea.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2011, 11:02:56 AM »

[and what the heck how about a definitive recording of "Sherry She Needs Me" that one has been attempted so many times and never gotten right
Wrong.
He got it perfectly right on the IMAGINATION album.

Beautiful!

Smiley

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2011, 01:05:17 PM »

Wrong.

Beautiful!

Smiley

I'd have to disagree with you there...
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2011, 01:41:18 PM »

Wrong.

Beautiful!

I'd have to disagree with you there...
But Rocky, what do you think of the woodwinds and the backing vocals on "She Said That She Needs Me"?

Sweet, no?  Well, we can agree to disagree......

Confession time: the IMAGINATION LP turned me into a fan of Brian Wilson AND The Boys!
Crazy, but true!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011, 04:36:38 PM »

I think SSTSNM, aside from the somewhat awkward title rephrase, is definitive. The track is nearly perfect, and Brian sings like an angel. A great achievement for Imagination, and one of the least-AC sounding tunes on the record.

Yes, you lose the riff from the backing track. But you gain the clarinets and a swirling backing vocal arrangement. Bliss!
ghost
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2011, 06:33:24 PM »

Yeah the clarinets are nice on that track. The Imagination album though... I dunno, it sounds like a bar of soap or shampoo. I use neither personally, just water.
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2011, 11:21:25 AM »

Imagination was released the same day as Ringo's Vertical Man album.  I listened to Brian's BVs on Without Understanding and thought, "I like this better than the whole Imagination album."  Imagination was just too glossy, and Brian sounded slurry/tired through a lot of the album.  To follow the soap motif, it was sort of like this shower soap I got recently, which contained real diamond dust.  (The soap was shiny and slimy.  Kind of like Joe Thomas.)

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2011, 03:38:25 PM »

Sandy is my favourite version of that track.

So what's the story on that not making it onto Summer Days?

Personally, when I'm not sure I just blame Mike. I know, I know, but it's a habit.

Didn't he say that Brian could do the Today B-side if they did an upbeat, happy, fun album next?

I just imagine him vetoing Sandy in favour of Amusement Parks USA (which I also love, very trippy)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2011, 04:11:41 PM »

To my ears, Imagination was the best Brian sounded on record until BWRG. Full stop.

Nice, gentle lead singing and the last sustained use of his falsetto in backing harmonies.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2011, 04:26:18 PM »

Personally, when I'm not sure I just blame Mike.

Funniest quote ever !  Grin Cheesy LOL

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2011, 05:30:31 PM »

To my ears, Imagination was the best Brian sounded on record until BWRG. Full stop.

Nice, gentle lead singing and the last sustained use of his falsetto in backing harmonies.
Well in my opinion, the better the song on Imagination the better his vocal. "Your Imagination" and "Cry" have great vocals, but "Sunshine" and "Dream Angel" less so. Just my opinion, anyway. "Your Imagination" is REAL snazzy, though.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2011, 06:12:49 PM »

[and what the heck how about a definitive recording of "Sherry She Needs Me" that one has been attempted so many times and never gotten right
Wrong.

Beautiful!

Smiley
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
SG7
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2011, 06:57:18 PM »

An album called I was given a solo career by my wife

LOL
Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2011, 01:39:27 AM »

An album called I was given a solo career by my wife