gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 05:55:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wilson & Spector  (Read 9339 times)
ghost
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2011, 02:10:17 PM »

In the 'Catch A Wave' book - Spector invites Brian to come and play piano on a track and then humiliates him in front of everyone in the studio for supposedly playing piano badly.....then publically dismisses him.

He does, for what Spector was probably looking for - Brian's playing is pretty strange usually.

...Do you know for a fact that Spector was cruel and bullying to Brian? Or are you just referring to the way their relationship is portrayed in Wouldn't It be Nice?...

In interviews over the past 15 years where Spector mentions him, he invariably derides Brian's talent and never fails to call him brain-damaged or mentally ill. Given this consistency of opinion, I have no problem imagining Spector bullying Brian back in the 60s.

It just shows that Phil is VERY challenged by Brian and always has been. It's Phil's ego talking when he says "Good Vibrations was AN EDIT RECORD!!!!" It's Phil saying "this kid took my sound somewhere that I could never take it and that bothers me".

Phil has a funny joke fit for Smiley Smilers - "If I had a dollar for every joint Brian Wilson smoked trying to figure out how I got the Be My Baby sound..." ---- well how about we get Spector out on temp release from prison and see if he can cut a good replica to any of Brian's best productions, eh? Let's see if Phil can get the Sloop John B sound.

PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 09:46:11 AM »

What's the status of the Spector documentary film? I can't find a way to order the DVD, nor download, etc.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 10:12:45 AM »

Both men have their own pages in the DSMIV.  So their comments and treatment of one another (and other people as well) over the years is heavily colored by that.   By the way, I too grew up listening to both the Beach Boys and Phil Spector records.   Liked them both.  But as a kid, no one could top the Ronnettes and Be My Baby.  I loved the whole package.  Way before I learned the legends of either Brian or Phil.   It was simply the most exciting sound I'd ever heard at the time.  Brian had other influences besides Phil.  Let us not forget the Four Freshmen.   That blend and clarity that Brian wove into the sound of the Beachboys, could not be done with a wall of sound.  Brian raved about these guys as well.
ghost
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 10:25:47 AM »

Both men have their own pages in the DSMIV.  So their comments and treatment of one another (and other people as well) over the years is heavily colored by that.   By the way, I too grew up listening to both the Beach Boys and Phil Spector records.   Liked them both.  But as a kid, no one could top the Ronnettes and Be My Baby.  I loved the whole package.  Way before I learned the legends of either Brian or Phil.   It was simply the most exciting sound I'd ever heard at the time.  Brian had other influences besides Phil.  Let us not forget the Four Freshmen.   That blend and clarity that Brian wove into the sound of the Beachboys, could not be done with a wall of sound.  Brian raved about these guys as well.

It is my opinion that Brian had a much wider range of influences than we are commonly aware of. Only recently it seems that people have been talking about Brian's exotica influences on Pet Sounds and post-PS material. Four Freshman seem to have been his main musical nerd obsession in early youth, for deconstructing the harmonies to become the master that he is at arranging harmony vocals, but I think there were many other influences pouring it. Brian's music is very eclectic it actually shows a lot of foreign ideas that go way beyond Rubber Soul. That Beatles album probably helped Brian realize that more artistically appealing music could be made still within the confines of that corporate medium, so he took that concept into Pet Sounds. But the album itself shows more classical influence than Paul McCartney probably had any idea of at the time. Paul is quoted in 1967 speaking of classical composers not being much different from the scene he was in at the time, but it's not really true. If you study Beethoven and the Beatles they're worlds apart in the use of the musical language. But if you study Bach and Brian Wilson the gap gets a lot smaller.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2011, 11:40:49 AM »

Why is Beethoven the default composer when referencing "classical" music and, furthermore, the apex of composing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HHIb9tcc9c

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
ghost
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2011, 12:22:38 PM »

Why is Beethoven the default composer when referencing "classical" music and, furthermore, the apex of composing?

CAUSE I'M A mentally handicapped person AND DON'T KNOW sh*t ALRIGHT
originals
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2011, 01:14:17 PM »

Spector has always been a jerk to Brian.
Check out the following evidence:

"Tearing Down The Wall of Sound" by Mick Brown, 2008 - p.383

Spector talking: "I make fun of alot of people, like Brian Wilson.  He does interviews, he writes his autobiography about me. It's sad, you know, but I don't know if you can fell sorry for untalented people.  Maybe he's not that talented. I never thought he was that talented to begin with. I'd be more impressed if somebody with a brain idolized me."

"Catch A Wave" by Peter Ames Carlin, 2006 - p. 45
"Spector took perverse pleasure in insulting Brian as often as possible. Spector invited Brian to play piano on a session, then tossed the younger musician out of the studio for what he called his substandard playing."

"Tearing Down The Wall of Sound" by Mick Brown, 2008 - p.181

Author Mick Brown describing how Wilson described Spector to him: "When I met Wilson in 2001 he would describe Spector as 'a very scary person. He was egotistical and self-centered. A very scary kind of talking style. A very scary person.'"

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2011, 02:30:24 PM »

Honestly, I hate Spector, after reading the infamous "Wouldn't it be Nice?" and The REAL STORY "Catch a wave" he seems to have an ego bigger than a tidal wave.

originals
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2011, 03:06:59 PM »

Honestly, I hate Spector, after reading the infamous "Wouldn't it be Nice?" and The REAL STORY "Catch a wave" he seems to have an ego bigger than a tidal wave.

He seems like a genuinely awful person.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011, 06:26:23 PM »

I love listening to Bernstein talk about music - Inside Pop is fascinating to watch, even aside from the Brian segment. 
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2011, 03:02:51 AM »

Beethoven and the Beatles have a lot in common.

Both were excellent at sensing what was about to become popular and jumping on pre-bandwagon

Both were excellent at "re-appropriating" other people's ideas and passing it off as their own, (although all composers are guilty of this to a certain degree)

Both sum up a time in history and are synonymous with it

Both did some truly stunning work coupled with a lot of mediocrity

Both are highly overrated

IMO

Mozart and Brian have this in common

Both created music which sounded effortless, and at first listen, very simple, but there are almost bottomless hidden depths

Both worked in a very commercial environment, forced to churn out popular music. They subverted this though by imbuing it with aforementioned hidden depths

Both were made to feel responsible for their families financial well being, and had troubled relationships with their fathers.

Both used humour and feigned innocence as a shield, hiding their intelligence behind a childlike persona

Both changed the way the business related to artists.

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2011, 09:09:06 AM »

I was kind of just asking that as an aside, as a point of criticism. My point was that Beethoven, who seems to be the go-to composer mentioned when alluding to the zenith of composing, wrote pretty simple music, which was often downright dumb. So, actually, yes, he is comparable to the Beatles. I wasn’t calling attention to, or questioning, the Beatles-Beethoven comparison (your points of comparison i think are all valid).

Just the other day someone in some other thread, talking about Wonderful, said something along the lines of Brian (and more specifically, Wonderful) being the closest to a modern day Beethoven. Again, as if Beethoven was the apex of musical composition, to which everything could/should be compared. People who have a passing knowledge of western art music, or even none at all, too often focus on Beethoven-Mozart (as well as Bach, but that is something else altogether) because the Classical era lends itself to comparisons with modern pop music. There is a lot more sophistication in composition and arranging to be found in the Romantic period as well as the early 20th century, but people like a good, memorable melody, as well as all the cliches you hear describing the Classical era--balance, order, easily discernible structure, simple harmony, etc. And, you know, Beethoven was "deaf," so that's sensational, and so the name sticks in the social fabric. 

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2011, 11:16:11 AM »

I was kind of just asking that as an aside, as a point of criticism. My point was that Beethoven, who seems to be the go-to composer mentioned when alluding to the zenith of composing, wrote pretty simple music, which was often downright dumb. So, actually, yes, he is comparable to the Beatles. I wasn’t calling attention to, or questioning, the Beatles-Beethoven comparison (your points of comparison i think are all valid).

Just the other day someone in some other thread, talking about Wonderful, said something along the lines of Brian (and more specifically, Wonderful) being the closest to a modern day Beethoven. Again, as if Beethoven was the apex of musical composition, to which everything could/should be compared. People who have a passing knowledge of western art music, or even none at all, too often focus on Beethoven-Mozart (as well as Bach, but that is something else altogether) because the Classical era lends itself to comparisons with modern pop music. There is a lot more sophistication in composition and arranging to be found in the Romantic period as well as the early 20th century, but people like a good, memorable melody, as well as all the cliches you hear describing the Classical era--balance, order, easily discernible structure, simple harmony, etc. And, you know, Beethoven was "deaf," so that's sensational, and so the name sticks in the social fabric. 

You mention the romantic era, and modern era as seperate to the classical era.  You are a pedant after my own heart! Classical:- 1750 - 1830!

And I should have clarified Monicker, I agreed with your earlier post, and felt I was adding to it, taking it off on a tangent, like a cheeky line of counterpoint.

Though I must say I think Ghost is also absolutely right in saying Brian has more in common with the masters of yesteryear than his peers. Structure, counterpoint and harmony stand equal alongside the melody, rather than acting as its servants. And maybe he likes old Louie B

After all, Beethoven composed some pretty awe inspiring work, the late quartets are mind blowing. And I can say nothing bad about Abbey Road also

And though I am somewhat  versed in some pretty obscure composers and genres, it is Mozart and Bach I return to most often. There is a very good reason they (Bach especially) are considered the greatest composers. If there could ever be music for the sake of music, just pure maths for the ears, then Bach's your fellow. And Mozart was really just entering his mature period. Forget SMiLE. His death was the greatest loss.

And yes, there was some great romantic composers, but everything after is just a steaming pile of Schoenberg as far as I'm concerned.

But I'm glad there are some others on here who listen to good music, other than the Beach Boys of course.

And as I always say....

If you can't write music in your head, then you have no right writing music.

ghost
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2011, 11:53:06 AM »

I like Scriabin a lot.

Favorite Beethoven - string quartet 14 in C# minor, some of piano sonatas.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2011, 01:31:40 PM »

I am having a bit of a brain fart at the mo' but could someone remind me what Beethoven piece it is that Brian quotes in Cabinessence? I was thinking about this last night and couldn't for the life of me remember.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2011, 03:04:34 PM »

I like Scriabin a lot.

Favorite Beethoven - string quartet 14 in C# minor, some of piano sonatas.

He was the guy with the colours?

And Ludwig's quartets

14 is beautiful

15 is my favourite, with the lydian mode movement. Takes me back to some sad times, and usually I'm quite clinical and emotionless with music. It's really all about the maths for me.

I'm sure you know this, but I love the fact he used to compose with a piece of balsa wood under his lip which was touching the piano, so he could feel the harmonies via vibrations.

And I'd love to believe the shaking his fist at the thunder story at the moment of his death, but this is highly unlikely as he was in a coma form which he never awakened.

I'm going to shake my fist at mobile (cell) phone users when I die
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 03:10:38 PM by Iron Horse-Apples » Logged
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2011, 07:46:08 PM »

Just typing here manically, not necessarily addressing anything in particular because i like this area of conversation.

I don’t think it’s pedantic to make a distinction between eras of music that cover 200 years. A lot happened and changed. It’s absurd to lump EVERYTHING that preceded the beginnings of jazz under the “classical” term. 

Brian has a lot more in common with Bach than with Beethoven, but at the same time, the BW/Bach comparison is kind of a stretch. You think, for example, that there’s any semblance of Brian’s style and approach in, say, The Goldberg Variations? Brian didn’t, and i don’t think could ever, compose like that. I love any of Bach’s works for unaccompanied keyboards. Any of his ensemble works i only like when he writes in minor, for example, the harpsichord concertos. Oh, i like the cello suites, too. The Brandenburg Concertos are incredibly boring, i think.   

I like LATE Beethoven. The late quartets and sonatas. His symphonies are musically drab. Don’t understand the fixation with them.

I’ve never been able to get into Mozart with the exception of the Requiem, which i absolutely love. And i’m sure we all know the debate surrounding that. BWPS anyone? Oh, but i like those weird pieces he wrote for glass armonica!

Mozart and Bach is who you continually return to? Man, what about Wagner? Wagner can destroy us all in a second. He is a spiteful musical God in the old testament sense, watch out. And Ravel?? Bartok! CHOPIN?! R. Strauss, Rachmaninoff, Brahms, Mahler, Debussy, Prokofiev, Berlioz, the Czech three! So many other than the stock three of Bach, Mozart, Beethoven!

And come on, “everything after is a steaming pile of Schoenberg”? Hey now! That’s a little dismissive of many years of music, no? Come on, Shostakovich, Stravinksy, Scriabin (yes, he’s the one who had synesthesia), Messiaen? Messiaen was out of his mind. What a beast of a composer with one of the most idiosyncratic compositional voices. You can recognize his music in the first half of a measure. Just his organ works alone kill, but his large scale works, wow, what colors and textures. He’s another one who had synesthesia. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZfkUgazCtM  Glorious. And: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUgm1Pp_l9Y  Good Lord.

I’m just having fun here. I am hungry and i need to eat.

But, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise, listen a little closer--Webern is a romantic at heart. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN9qJ4oJdvc  Also, early Schoenberg, pre-Serialism is GOOD stuff! And Berg is the sh*t.

Oh god, and Schnittke, my favorite composer of all time! But guys like Ligeti, Penderecki, Varese, Scelsi, etc. tear my head off and turn it into dust, so i am into music doing that. I hate Elliot Carter and Kurtag for the record.

Gahh! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNKWoo9Fe40  This is one of three pieces i want to listen to right before i die. The other two are Hushabye by the beach boys and Born To Be With You by The Chordettes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efvkzpkBil0

Oh, what about little known guys like Ginastera, Revueltas, Poulenc, and Antheil? There is some gold there. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqn4td5iX98
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjfE2pUPKrU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOi_VPZmq3I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFd7parC550  (stunning)

Oh, and Iron Horse-Apples, if it’s all about the math for you, please listen to, if you haven’t already, Moondog aka Louis Hardin, American weirdo composer. He’s amazing. Baroque counterpoint, odd time signatures, heavy use of exotic and homemade percussion, jazz idiom, native american influences. 20th century polyphony at its finest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyA0syj-GOQ

Not really related to anything...I just discovered this recently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOn4pJlHHdY  Chopin’s A minor Mazurka ARRANGED FOR VOICES. I had never heard Chopin arranged for voices. Good God.

If you can't write music in your head, then you have no right writing music.” Haaa! That’s extreme! I like it.

Ghost, have you heard Scriabin’s unfinished Mysterium? Insanity. We should get a whole thing going on other unfinished works, f*** Smile. What about Ives’ Universe Symphony?

Okay, i think i'm done. I am not on drugs.

Oh! What about Nino Rota??! Tell me that at least one person here is obsessed with Nino Rota. He is my God. I want to go back in time and hug him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdoVkd71pjY  He is the master of the universe. Every musically inclined person should bow down to Nino.

P.S.  Does anyone here like The Cardigans?! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjnE9aMGBoE

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2011, 07:57:48 PM »

Oh God, how can i forget my lover, my main squeeze, the one and only BERNARD HERRMANN.

And by the way, to bring this thread full circle: Phil Spector was apparently obsessed with Wagner. His wall of sound approach was his attempt at bringing Wagner to the teen pop market.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 08:01:17 PM by monicker » Logged

ghost
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2011, 08:28:14 PM »

Ghost, have you heard Scriabin’s unfinished Mysterium? Insanity. We should get a whole thing going on other unfinished works, f*ck Smile. What about Ives’ Universe Symphony?

Yeah but I read it barely captures what Scriabin intended that really for - destroying the world or creating a dimensional shift. Scriabin's music is hypnagogic. He wrote music in trances - his 'black mass' for example.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2011, 08:37:48 PM »

Well, sh*t.  I just read the rest of the thread and discovered that people not only are talking about Phil Spector being overrated but also think Beethoven and the Beatles were over rated.  *sigh.

You know, one day I hope we get to a world where you dont' get cool points for slamming whoever's on top. 

Beethoven = some of the greatest music of all time

The Beatles = some of the greatest music of all time

Phil Spector = some of the greatest music of all time

... and I'm cool enough to admit it.  Sometimes people eat hamburgers because hamburgers taste pretty damn good. 
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2011, 08:48:10 PM »

Ghost, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBhjGIdL5cM

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2011, 02:03:14 AM »

Oh! What about Nino Rota??! Tell me that at least one person here is obsessed with Nino Rota. He is my God. I want to go back in time and hug him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdoVkd71pjY  He is the master of the universe. Every musically inclined person should bow down to Nino.

Not obsessed, but the chiming theme from Il Casanova keeps coming back regularly to haunt me. Nice to hear you mention Messiaen, Revueltas and Nemtin's realization of Scr.'s Mysterium. Very nice actually.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2011, 03:48:07 AM »

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=272127216135161&set=o.34250497240&type=1

Smokin
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2011, 10:06:23 AM »

I'm going to shake my fist at mobile (cell) phone users when I die

Best idea I've heard in ages. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2011, 12:25:30 PM »

Monicker, I shall work my way through that long post, addressing the fact I am very close minded (purposefully)

I somehow manage to be both ill educated and an elitist, no mean feat I assure you.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx