gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:15:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who are these people?  (Read 19992 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2011, 10:50:50 AM »

She sure was. Al you old dog you! Didn't Dennis tap that at some point?

Now theeeeere's a real smart post.  Real whippy, with her son reading this board and all.  Roll Eyes

One of your all time posts, Fishmonk.  And you've made some real doozies here.

That Dennis shagged his way through the band members wives is hardly a well kept secret. And BTW I'm not Fishmonk, I'm Sgt. Smi..., I mean Mike's Beard.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2011, 01:24:34 PM »

Can I ask; why all this name switching? Is it juvenile humor or something? It is kind of hard to have a conversation and know fellow posters with all this name switching. I notice even the Mods do it too. I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything, just want to know why some you do this stuff.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2011, 03:15:48 PM »

Can I ask; why all this name switching? Is it juvenile humor or something? It is kind of hard to have a conversation and know fellow posters with all this name switching. I notice even the Mods do it too. I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything, just want to know why some you do this stuff.

Well, in one instance, I'm guessing someone didn't like being referred to as both "Flash Harry" and "Lapdog". BTW, isn't there some kind of netiquette about using someone else's avatar ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2011, 03:29:04 PM »

It seems anything goes in here. Let's see; similar naming, avatar hijacking, and some even sharing private conversations. "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!"

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2011, 03:39:01 PM »

So we either get back at 'em by doing the same thing or ITF.  The admins obviously don't give a poo and aren't doing anything about it.

Where's Chuckie these days anyway?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2011, 03:41:10 PM »

I'm getting kind of tired of it. I love the fun atmosphere of the board, but when the ratio of intelligent/on-topic posts gets outnumbered by the trivial/sarcastic/bullshit posts it gets quite annoying.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2011, 03:48:52 PM »

She sure was. Al you old dog you! Didn't Dennis tap that at some point?

Now theeeeere's a real smart post.  Real whippy, with her son reading this board and all.  Roll Eyes

One of your all time posts, Fishmonk.  And you've made some real doozies here.

Goes to show you how hypocritical most posters are here.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2011, 04:32:51 PM »

Well, we close one thread just to start up some new sh*t on this and other threads.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2011, 04:20:01 AM »

Well, in one instance, I'm guessing someone didn't like being referred to as both "Flash Harry" and "Lapdog". BTW, isn't there some kind of netiquette about using someone else's avatar ?

So we either get back at 'em by doing the same thing or ITF.  The admins obviously don't give a poo and aren't doing anything about it.

Where's Chuckie these days anyway?

I do care Mikie.

I've seen the avatar's changes as well. There's no rule against that, albeit it's not always practical. And I don't mind someone making jokes with doing this. You might not even have the intention to purposely take a stab at another member.
But with all the negative vibes of the last couple of months, especially in the now-closed SMiLE box set (part 1) topic, this is just another way to continue the nagging and backstabbing. Or at least provoke it.

So I politely ask Mikes Beard and Fishmonk to alter their avatars and profiles/signatures. If you don't want to, fine, but keep in mind that if I see the discussions going further downwards, and I think this avatar-copying is part of it, I'll change them myself. Call it irritating paternal behaviour from the mod's, but apparently moderators have to be that way if grown-ups start acting childishly.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 04:25:51 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2011, 06:59:34 AM »

Hmmmm. The fact that the Bruce Willis avatar is in fact one of the default settings on the account profile page seems to have escaped one or two people. Nevermind. Hope nobody takes offence at my new persona.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2011, 07:16:08 AM »

Hmmmm. The fact that the Bruce Willis avatar is in fact one of the default settings on the account profile page seems to have escaped one or two people. Nevermind. Hope nobody takes offence at my new persona.

nope, that's one lovely beard you have, son.  Smiley

(and I must admit I wasn't aware of the fact that the Bruce Willis pic was part of a default setting)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 07:20:04 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2011, 07:23:26 AM »

A much more fitting avatar for your name. Still, would you mind answering the question that I posed earlier, why all the changes to your handle name and avatar?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2011, 08:56:52 AM »

Just clowning around. If the idiotic tone of my posts don't give away it's me, there's always a "the many moods of mike's beard" tag under my avatar. I might go back to being "Scarlett's Rack" next. For some reason I can't quite fantom it seemed to be quite popular.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2011, 09:13:08 AM »

Just clowning around. If the idiotic tone of my posts don't give away it's me, there's always a "the many moods of mike's beard" tag under my avatar. I might go back to being "Scarlett's Rack" next. For some reason I can't quite fantom it seemed to be quite popular.

Just the rack, then, no facial

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2011, 09:24:13 AM »

I've never got around to checking out her face yet.  Grin

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2011, 09:46:44 AM »

I had always assumed that photo of Brian and Real Don Steele was 1966, as it had been labeled when I first saw it. After finding out the true date and event where it was taken, thanks in part to the original post in the thread showing another view of the same event, I was a little surprised.

Is it just me, or does it seem unusual to see Brian Wilson out-and-about at a major Hollywood event like this in November 1968? I assumed from a lot of the accounts through the years that he was into one of his reclusive periods, with the stories of him sporadically coming down out of his bedroom to record when the Beach Boys were in the home studio, and generally avoiding a lot of the public eye.

To see him in that photo, knowing what it is now, isn't what I assumed was Brian Wilson in late 1968 - he was hanging out with some of Los Angeles' elite in the music business and film...and some of the more hip characters for that time. KHJ was the hottest station in LA and the most trend-setting top 40 station in the USA at this time, Peter Fonda had just finished up Easy Rider and was there, Gram Parsons was there in his Nudie suit making one of his first "public" appearances, it must have been quite an event.

KHJ_TV televised it as well, as the still photo of Charlie Tuna proves...so where is *that* film or video??? Cheesy

Was anyone else surprised at the date of these photos with Brian out on the town?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2011, 11:44:53 AM »

Also interesting that Brian's discredited auto-bio claims that he didn't attend any theatrical film screenings between SECONDS (1966) and E.T. (1982). I have to assume he actually went in and watched YELLOW SUBMARINE, right? Or did he just stay in the lobby recording his thoughts on tape?

I think it's pretty obvious that the whole "Brian as recluse who won't leave his bedroom" story was blown out-of-proportion and maintained simply because it makes interesting press. This is not to say that Brian hasn't suffered from debilitating mental illness or displayed anti-social behavior, but that he was far from being rock's Howard Hughes. The press still loves the angle; just two weeks ago, Mitch Albom had a Detroit Free Press column in which he referred to Brian in the present tense as a "semi-recluse"! If Brian is a "semi-recluse" these days, I must be a complete hermit.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2011, 11:55:40 AM »

A much more fitting avatar for your name. Still, would you mind answering the question that I posed earlier, why all the changes to your handle name and avatar?

For me personally, I do it every two weeks or so cause I get bored.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2011, 12:09:29 PM »

For me personally, I do it every two weeks or so cause I get bored.
Billy, you get bored in here? Man, now that is sayin' somethin'. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2011, 12:30:40 PM »

Also interesting that Brian's discredited auto-bio claims that he didn't attend any theatrical film screenings between SECONDS (1966) and E.T. (1982). I have to assume he actually went in and watched YELLOW SUBMARINE, right? Or did he just stay in the lobby recording his thoughts on tape?

I think it's pretty obvious that the whole "Brian as recluse who won't leave his bedroom" story was blown out-of-proportion and maintained simply because it makes interesting press. This is not to say that Brian hasn't suffered from debilitating mental illness or displayed anti-social behavior, but that he was far from being rock's Howard Hughes. The press still loves the angle; just two weeks ago, Mitch Albom had a Detroit Free Press column in which he referred to Brian in the present tense as a "semi-recluse"! If Brian is a "semi-recluse" these days, I must be a complete hermit.

Maybe that's what I'm getting at too - the image of Brian as a recluse at this time up to the present is possibly blown out of proportion more than we might think. Or maybe it isn't, it's confusing to tell from reading all the accounts, and it's based on the era as well.

Seriously, does the Brian Wilson shown in those photos, November 1968 in a crowd of people at a public event, resemble the image some sources official and unofficial have promoted in the past? Maybe this was one isolated event but he looks comfortable and seems to be enjoying himself, tape recorder and all.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2011, 01:06:34 PM »

Seriously, does the Brian Wilson shown in those photos, November 1968 in a crowd of people at a public event, resemble the image some sources official and unofficial have promoted in the past? Maybe this was one isolated event but he looks comfortable and seems to be enjoying himself, tape recorder and all.
And yet his family, mostly off the record, have pointed to 1968 as the year something went permanently wrong with Brian's mental state. He was definitely institutionalized that year, and I've been told by several of his family and friends that he was never quite the same again post 1968.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2011, 01:14:16 PM »

This event might have been one of the last public appearances  before Brian's mental state began to really decline. Or been one of the first events Brian went to after getting out of the institution, meaning temporary better moods for Brian.  He could have been not mentally happy and was hidding it during a public appearance with LA's elite.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 01:50:28 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2011, 01:23:47 PM »

And yet his family, mostly off the record, have pointed to 1968 as the year something went permanently wrong with Brian's mental state. He was definitely institutionalized that year, and I've been told by several of his family and friends that he was never quite the same again post 1968.

So, perhaps it was some secret message ( that he presumed to find, ala "Seconds") hidden inside YS that sent him over the edge and made this his last relatively normal appearance?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2011, 03:20:21 PM »

Brian attended the July 17, 1968 Beach Boys concert in San Diego and looked great at that time.  He sat in the audience during the concert, and stood up and waved in all directions when introduced by Mike, who, as I recall, explained that Brian was there to check up on the band's performance.

When exactly was Brain institutionalized in 1968, and for how long?  What is known about the events leading up to his institutionalization?  Was Brian in favor of the idea? 

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2011, 03:53:41 PM »

That's cool to hear-I wasn't aware he was at that show.  A fan who attended the BBs app in Anaheim (Melodyland show-missing from Badman book-but reviewed in LA Times) on Sept 27 and 28 1968 also saw Brian at those shows.  The fan had attended Hawthorne HS and Brian ended up conversing with him throughout the show-with lots of questions about old tecahers and students.  He also took part in a meet and greet before the show-it was a circular theatre and depending what entrance you came in you got to meet a different BB-the real lucky ones came face to face with Brian
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx