gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680833 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 07:08:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who are these people?  (Read 20011 times)
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 09:30:23 AM »

Why is Brian holding a tape recorder ?

I think it's a magic transistor radio Cheesy
_____

And yeah, that is the spitting image of the Brian Wilson doll Shocked
I thought it was a stereo or early cassette player to play "be my baby" while Brian was on the go.

Looks like an 8 track player to me; even has the end of a tape sticking up out of the player on the right side closest to Brian
I see that tape sticking out on closer look, so  it probably is an 8 track player.

I don't think there's an 8-track tape sticking out - it's just a reflection of Marilyn's sleeve on the shiny plastic. It looks like a standard portable radio of the era (although not a transistor radio!).
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 09:39:33 AM »

Dunno. It looks like the 20/20 era dressed Al. And I vagualy remember a picture of the Boys including Brian performing at the Whiskey; Brian's hair was much longer on that pic. compared to this one.

let me see (got these pictures from gettyimages btw.):

http://www.gettyimages.nl/Search/Search.aspx?contractUrl=2&assetType=image&family=Editorial&p=beach+boys+whisky#

They performed at the Whisky-A-Go-Go on
- Nov. 4 - 7th 1970. Carl obviously had a beard then. Brian doesn't look like the one shown in the picture above with Al/Lynda/Marylin

They also played at the Whiskey on April 12 and 13 1971;  these pics ( also off Getty) are obviously the same stage as the whiskey pics with brian, but Carl's beard is shorter, their clothes are different, Brian's not there, Daryll Dragon is, etc...So I'm thinking they are pics from the April Shows:

It appears there is an FLA just behind Al  so maybe? the Flame played with them at this gig also, as they had played with them 10 days previously.  

I know there are more pics from this same show on Getty, along with more pics from the (private) show for the Flame; and as it appears there are 16,650 pages of Beach Boys photos there, plenty to delve into.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 09:57:25 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »

Man, look at those people dancing!

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2011, 10:41:46 AM »

I believe the photo was taken at an event either sponsored by, hosted by, or featuring the radio personalities from KHJ radio in Los Angeles.

The man standing behind Brian in the original photo looks like KHJ DJ and television host Sam Riddle, he was also host of the syndicated "Hollywood A Go Go":

It looks like Brian is carrying a portable reel-to-reel machine, possibly a Sony like this one in the picture. It looks like a transistor radio but I'd bet it's a portable reel-to-reel based on what I know of those old machines. And if it is a Sony, it would line up with the gifts Sony gave Brian at the end of '66, including a full video recorder they called the "PortaPak":

Here is the money shot:

That is Brian and Real Don Steele, the great KHJ host. Notice Brian and Marilyn are dressed the same in the original shot and this one, Brian is shown again with the tape recorder, and I've lightened it up to show a police officer or guard in the background, not that it helps ID it. But it's clearly the same event.

Real Don Steele's info on the photo dates it "circa 1966". Based on Al's attire, does that look like 1966? Or perhaps '68?

Whatever that may be, KHJ was involved in whatever event that photo is showing.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2011, 12:03:30 PM »

From a fashion perspective, Al's neckerchief combined with Brian's turtleneck have 1968 written all over them.  I'd say around late '67 at the earliest, and probably no later than summer '69, unless Brian and Al were totally behind the "cool clothes" curve, (which is certainly possible, considering how long the striped shirts stayed around).

Great detective work, Guitarfool, in finding the pic of Brian with The Real Don Steele.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2011, 12:53:29 PM »

One possibility for that photo...Jack Lloyd told me that he accompanied Brian, Carl, Al and wives and maybe Bruce to see Elvis in Las Vegas during his first and most exciting engagement there (he opened on July 31 1969 and was there three weeks).  BBs were on tour and weren't back till Aug 3-so Aug 3 or after.  He was emphatic that Brian joined them to see Elvis.  But he said that when he tried to get permission to bring them up to Elvis room after the show one of the "Memphis Mafia" said it was too crowded up there and  no more visitors could come up.  So that could be from that night???
Would be hard to prove this though

That'd be interesting. I always heard the story that the Beach Boys visited Elvis in Vegas but without Brian. Al and Bruce (iirc) visited him in RCA's studio during sessions for Little Bird while Elvis was recording the soundtrack to Live A Little Love A Little. But I believe I got this from Badman. He also said that Bruce visited Elvis in '65/'66 while they were working on Pet Sounds. But Brian chickened out.

The engagement went 'til August 28th, so it's more like 4 weeks. The International usually was full of stars that wanted to see Elvis and photographers were all around, so it could be that this shot was taken then and there.
For Rock'n'Roll nothing gets better than Elvis live in '69 but his engagements in '70 - '72 were much better for more recent stuff and bombastic ballads. Beautiful.

Anyway, Mike Eder might have more info on this if it should be from a visit to Elvis.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 01:41:35 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2011, 01:32:21 PM »

Holy smokes Lynda Jardine is beautiful!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2011, 02:44:37 PM »

One possibility for that photo...Jack Lloyd told me that he accompanied Brian, Carl, Al and wives and maybe Bruce to see Elvis in Las Vegas during his first and most exciting engagement there (he opened on July 31 1969 and was there three weeks).  BBs were on tour and weren't back till Aug 3-so Aug 3 or after.  He was emphatic that Brian joined them to see Elvis.  But he said that when he tried to get permission to bring them up to Elvis room after the show one of the "Memphis Mafia" said it was too crowded up there and  no more visitors could come up.  So that could be from that night???
Would be hard to prove this though

That'd be interesting. I always heard the story that the Beach Boys visited Elvis in Vegas but without Brian. Al and Bruce (iirc) visited him in RCA's studio during sessions for Little Bird while Elvis was recording the soundtrack to Live A Little Love A Little. But I believe I got this from Badman. He also said that Bruce visited Elvis in '65/'66 while they were working on Pet Sounds. But Brian chickened out.

The engagement went 'til August 28th, so it's more like 4 weeks. The International usually was full of stars that wanted to see Elvis and photographers were all around, so it could be that this shot was taken then and there.
For Rock'n'Roll nothing gets better than Elvis live in '69 but his engagements in '70 - '72 were much better for more recent stuff and bombastic ballads. Beautiful.

Anyway, Mike Eder might have more info on this if it should be from a visit to Elvis.

Two disc jockeys from KHJ in Los Angeles would not be at an event for Elvis in Las Vegas, so I'm pretty confident that photo is not from Las Vegas.

More to come in a bit...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2011, 03:21:10 PM »

I'm 100% sure where the photo was taken after some research and hunting:

Here is a more full series of photos from the event:

The last one clinched it.

These were taken at an event for a showing of the film Yellow Submarine sponsored and hosted by KHJ radio. This was held in November 1968, and the specific date I saw was November 14, 1968. The survey showing Real Don Steele and Peter Fonda at the event is from that week. Notice Steele is dressed in the same suit and tie in both the Fonda and Brian photos.

The photo of the girl being interviewed at this same event is Kam Nelson, who was a dancer and sometime co-host on various KHJ TV dance shows, including 9th Street West and Hollywood A Go Go, hosted by Sam Riddle, shown standing behind Brian in the first photo. She is being interviewed by Charlie Tuna, who hosted KHJ shows and was covering the premiere of Yellow Submarine for KHJ-TV.

November 1968 - KHJ sponsored this Yellow Submarine screening. Some dates say November 14, 1968 and some locations and ads say Westwood. That's where the photos would appear to be from.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 09:09:29 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2011, 03:37:05 PM »

She's a harpist for hire:
http://www.lyndajardineharpist.com/
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2011, 03:59:13 PM »

Fabulous detective work, Guitarfool!  I knew from the clothes that it wasn't '66 or '70.  (Yeah, I'm old enough to remember all that stuff!)  The next question is, what was BW doing with the tape recorder?

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2011, 04:29:30 PM »

Very cool that you figured that out...That is fantastic.  I thought it looked like late 68 but I couldn't think of the occasion. Very cool discovery
earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

"Humor, too, is one of His creations."

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2011, 04:31:01 PM »

Wow, didn't know Brian went to that premeire.  I wonder if there are more pics from that Yellow Submarine premier?  Supposedly Gram Parsons made a splash wearing one of his new Nudie Suits (the Burrito Brothers being in the early stages at this point).

AGD: "For foder's sake don't encourage him !"
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2011, 04:34:12 PM »

But as to the Whisky shows-I think all those shots are from the Nov 70 engagement. They were there for four days-only two with Brian.  In a wider color shot with Brian-you also see Daryl and Ed Carter were there in 70 too.  I think Carl shaved midway through-he was just starting his beard phase then and may have decided to chuck it then thought better of it.  He did have a beard again by Nov 16 when they headed to Europe.  
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2011, 05:18:01 PM »

So no one knows if that's Barbara in the middle?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 05:22:05 PM by monicker » Logged

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2011, 08:15:18 PM »

But as to the Whisky shows-I think all those shots are from the Nov 70 engagement. They were there for four days-only two with Brian.  In a wider color shot with Brian-you also see Daryl and Ed Carter were there in 70 too.  I think Carl shaved midway through-he was just starting his beard phase then and may have decided to chuck it then thought better of it.  He did have a beard again by Nov 16 when they headed to Europe.  

Possible either way, I suppose.  Seems doubtful to me tho, that he shaved on the 5th or 6th and had a full beard again on the 16th.10 days isn't much to grow a full beard.
 I guess it depends on what pictures there are from the 16th when they headed to Europe, and how Carl looked. 

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2011, 02:19:36 AM »

She sure was. Al you old dog you! Didn't Dennis tap that at some point?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2011, 04:12:20 AM »

The next question is, what was BW doing with the tape recorder?
Brian was a pioneer in Beatles bootlegs
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2011, 07:38:21 AM »

actually I am pretty positive about it-all these pics were mostly taken by Earl Leaf and appeared in Teen Magazine in 1970-71 issues-in his monthly column. I have to look through them-but pretty sure the photos were in issues before April 71.  By the way Carl isn't exactly clean shaven and the beard was already coming back
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2011, 09:03:17 AM »

She sure was. Al you old dog you! Didn't Dennis tap that at some point?

Now theeeeere's a real smart post.  Real whippy, with her son reading this board and all.  Roll Eyes

One of your all time posts, Fishmonk.  And you've made some real doozies here.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2011, 09:10:09 AM »

And next up in hypehat's Who's Who of the Smiley Smile Board, that's not Fishmonk - it's Mike's Beard  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2011, 09:15:54 AM »

Thought it was Fishmonk - he uses/used the same moniker.

No matter, just dumb. Sometimes ya gotta have a little respect for people, you know? The woman is very nice and classy - I met her once in Monterey.

Geez. And I thought I was bad....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2011, 09:18:20 AM »

Thought it was Fishmonk - he uses/used the same moniker.

No matter, just dumb. Sometimes ya gotta have a little respect for people, you know? The woman is very nice and classy - I met her once in Monterey.

Geez. And I thought I was bad....
Did you ask her how life with the Jardine family was like? Al trying to raise a family along with being in the BB's sounds interesting.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2011, 09:33:44 AM »

No, just exchanged pleasantries.  Told her I liked the song Al wrote about her.  She's very gracious.

http://www.lyndajardineharpist.com/

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2011, 09:51:53 AM »

actually I am pretty positive about it-all these pics were mostly taken by Earl Leaf and appeared in Teen Magazine in 1970-71 issues-in his monthly column. I have to look through them-but pretty sure the photos were in issues before April 71.  By the way Carl isn't exactly clean shaven and the beard was already coming back

After perusing the pages of my Teen Mags, I bow to your judgement that the source of all the Whiskey pics are their November dates

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx