gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:58:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who are these people?  (Read 19985 times)
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2011, 06:25:25 PM »

Besides, obviously, Al, Brian, and Marilyn. The middle kind of looks like Diane, but i've never really seen her look quite that way.

Also, it is uncanny how much Brian here resembles his BW doll from a few years ago.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 06:34:19 PM »

That picture's new to me..

I'd like to know where and when it was taken

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 07:17:54 PM »

Don't know the couple in the middle, but that's Lynda Jardine next to Alan...

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 07:43:25 PM »

It does look kind of like they went to the wax museum to see the unveiling of the new "Brian Wilson" likeness.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 12:14:27 AM »

Middle girl isn't Diane - way too short, and nose is wrong.

Date looks like 67/68 to me
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 12:15:55 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 12:29:52 AM »

what's the deal with bootlegs?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 12:47:09 AM »

Lady Linda was really nice!!   Kiss

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 01:24:25 AM »

The Getty Images site is a little more informative about the time and place but that's about all:

"LOS ANGELES - NOVEMBER 1970: Al Jardine and Brian Wilson of the rock and roll group 'The Beach Boys' walk outside with women at the Whisky A Go Go in November 1970 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images).

With women indeed!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 01:39:06 AM »

Middle girl isn't Diane - way too short, and nose is wrong.

I can't see anything wrong with the nose. It's a very pretty nose. I like it.  angel

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 01:40:20 AM »

Barbara Gaddy?

Al has his David Frost/Cottonfields look, 1968/69?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 01:53:12 AM »

Barbara Gaddy?

Al has his David Frost/Cottonfields look, 1968/69?

Checking out the notorious "airport photo", it could well be Barbara Rovell Gaddy and husband Gene. But it's still most likely 1970 outside the Whisky, probably 4 or 5 November when Brian played on the three opening shows of their residency.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 02:21:50 AM »

Dunno. It looks like the 20/20 era dressed Al. And I vagualy remember a picture of the Boys including Brian performing at the Whiskey; Brian's hair was much longer on that pic. compared to this one.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 02:38:10 AM »

Hope this opens for you guys:

http://www.gettyimages.nl/detail/73988983/Michael-Ochs-Archives

Admittedly, Getty Images often get their facts wrong----the photo could never have been taken on November 1st!

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 02:58:23 AM »

Dunno. It looks like the 20/20 era dressed Al. And I vagualy remember a picture of the Boys including Brian performing at the Whiskey; Brian's hair was much longer on that pic. compared to this one.

let me see (got these pictures from gettyimages btw.):

http://www.gettyimages.nl/Search/Search.aspx?contractUrl=2&assetType=image&family=Editorial&p=beach+boys+whisky#

They performed at the Whisky-A-Go-Go on
- Nov. 4 - 7th 1970. Carl obviously had a beard then. Brian doesn't look like the one shown in the picture above with Al/Lynda/Marylin

- according to gettyimages also early 1970, where these pictures were supposed to be taken. But I can't find any info on AGD's site on any gigs there. But (!): Brian does look a lot like in the picture above !

2 gigs, from 1970 (or one of them maybe late 1969, WITH Brian.
So that leaves the question: if this wasn't at the Whisky, where was it?

« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 02:59:52 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 03:26:10 AM »

Be warned!!! The Getty had almost no accurate dates for their photos.  Indeed I helped them date about 200 of the photos-but they still have plenty of incorrect listings-that is certainly one-that is not 1970 at the Whiskey 100%  There is a lot of inaccuracy out there
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 03:28:51 AM »

The photos of Brian singing with Marilyn et al-were taken at a showcase/party that the BBs threw for the Flame in the summer of 1970-four or five months before the Whiskey gigs.  Around the time Jack Rieley appeared on the scene
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 03:32:15 AM »

The photos of Brian singing with Marilyn et al-were taken at a showcase/party that the BBs threw for the Flame in the summer of 1970-four or five months before the Whiskey gigs.  Around the time Jack Rieley appeared on the scene

Ah, that explains the pictures of Ricky and Blondie next to Carl.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 06:51:18 AM »

Brian looked great that year, so he really was on top as he helped make Sunflower and almost seemed like was testing the waters to go touring again. Too bad it flopped and Brian began to slowly get more mentally ill and use way too drugs.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 06:53:55 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 07:18:08 AM »

Why is Brian holding a tape recorder ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 08:11:43 AM »

there is no doubt that 1970 was a year of lost opportunities in terms of Brian-he was coming back and then retreated again.  But I think he still kind of had it together till 1973.  I think Murry's death in June 73 was a big deal-that kind of began the real decline
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 08:14:18 AM »

I think it's a magic transistor radio Cheesy
_____

And yeah, that is the spitting image of the Brian Wilson doll Shocked

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 08:17:16 AM »

_____

I thought it was a stereo or early cassette player to play "be my baby" while Brian was on the go.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2011, 08:17:52 AM »

One possibility for that photo...Jack Lloyd told me that he accompanied Brian, Carl, Al and wives and maybe Bruce to see Elvis in Las Vegas during his first and most exciting engagement there (he opened on July 31 1969 and was there three weeks).  BBs were on tour and weren't back till Aug 3-so Aug 3 or after.  He was emphatic that Brian joined them to see Elvis.  But he said that when he tried to get permission to bring them up to Elvis room after the show one of the "Memphis Mafia" said it was too crowded up there and  no more visitors could come up.  So that could be from that night???
Would be hard to prove this though
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 08:43:26 AM »

_____

I thought it was a stereo or early cassette player to play "be my baby" while Brian was on the go.

Looks like an 8 track player to me; even has the end of a tape sticking up out of the player on the right side closest to Brian ( or is that just Marilyn's hand wrapped around the player....)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 08:46:14 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 08:48:12 AM »

_____

Looks like an 8 track player to me; even has the end of a tape sticking up out of the player on the right side closest to Brian
I see that tape sticking out on closer look, so  it probably is an 8 track player.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 08:53:13 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx