gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 12:48:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Flute on Beach Boys tracks/performances  (Read 5108 times)
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2011, 06:25:09 PM »

Can anyone identify these?:

I'm So Young (bonus track on 2-fer)

Forever (live 1971 - the intro; seen on youtube)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 06:30:09 PM »

Do you mean who is playing the flute in those cases?
rogerlancelot
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 08:48:45 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that Charles Lloyd on "Forever" from the Good Vibrations From Central Park show?
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 10:31:39 AM »

Surprised that no one answered this one yet; that's the great Sal Marquez playing flute there, not Charles Lloyd.  He went from The Beach Boys to doing some memorable work with Zappa, as well as working with people like Robbie Krieger & Sting.  He was also in Leno's first Tonite Show band, and I could swear he led the band on another brief late nite show, but can't remember which one.

Funny enough, I just googled him, (to see if I could find any mention of the other late night show), and came across a quote from me about this on Surfermoon/Desper archives http://www.surfermoon.com/essays/desperarchive2.html :

By Edroach2002 (Edroach2002) on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 08:44 pm:
"...Sal Marquez can be seen doing the flute intro to "Forever" in the famous footage of The Boys performing the song live!"

Almost another 10 years have passed since the above quote, and you still can't get rid of me.......
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 10:35:00 AM by Ed Roach » Logged
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 03:15:43 PM »

That's great info, Ed.

So far we have the following back-up musicians for said gig:

Sal Marquez - flute
Joel Peskin - horns.
Luther Coffee - bass
Carli Munoz - congas/percussion
Mike Kowalski - drums
Daryl Dragon - piano/organ

That leaves 3 unidentified horn/woodwind players to put a name to. Any ideas, Ed?

As for the flautist on I'm So Young (bonus track on 2-fer), I beleive c-man identified him as Jay Migliori.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 03:41:32 PM »

I almost answered with another musician that played quite a few gigs with The Boys back in 1971, including the timeframe of the Central Park and Carnegie Hall gigs. His name was Bobby Torres.

Also, I have a "Sal Vasquez" playing sax with The Boys earlier in '71.  Same guy as "Sal Marquez" who played flute?  Which one is it?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 05:44:16 PM »

In the fall of '71, in addition to Daryl Dragon, Joel Peskin, and Sal Marquez, I also have these guys - possibly in the horn section:

Roger Newman
Glenn Ferris
Mike Price

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 06:12:03 PM »

In the fall of '71, in addition to Daryl Dragon, Joel Peskin, and Sal Marquez, I also have these guys - possibly in the horn section:

Roger Newman
Glenn Ferris
Mike Price

Yes, those are all horn dogs.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 06:19:43 PM »

Sal Marquez is a trumpet player, not a flute player.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 09:37:56 PM »

That's great info, Ed.

Sal Marquez - flute
Joel Peskin - horns.
Luther Coffee - bass
Mike Kowalski - drums

No Eddie Carter?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 09:58:39 PM »

Peskin was/is a Sax player.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 10:22:17 PM »

Of course Steady Eddie was there.  Here he is playing bass live in 1971:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar5pnmPllEc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnojeqlzo8s

You know that's Ed's head behind the 8 ball inside the gatefold cover of the 1973 In Concert album......

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 11:34:19 PM »

That's great info, Ed.

Sal Marquez - flute
Joel Peskin - horns.
Luther Coffee - bass
Mike Kowalski - drums

No Eddie Carter?

Absent from that particular gig  Smiley

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 11:35:34 PM »

Roger Newman
Glenn Ferris
Mike Price

Yes, those are all horn dogs.

Excellent work guys!

harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 05:09:09 AM »

Any info on the "I'm So Young" session?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 05:10:06 AM »

As for the flautist on I'm So Young (bonus track on 2-fer), I beleive c-man identified him as Jay Migliori.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 05:50:25 AM »

Of course Steady Eddie was there.  Here he is playing bass live in 1971:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar5pnmPllEc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnojeqlzo8s

You know that's Ed's head behind the 8 ball inside the gatefold cover of the 1973 In Concert album......

Hmmm, I had heard that was Jack Rieley, which would make sense since he was fired about that time...but it doesn't really look like his body shape.  It does look more like Eddie Carter's body shape, but in the picture above and to the right, we have another backstage shot, in which Ricky is dressed the same as in the 8 ball shot, and we see Eddie in that picture wearing entirely different clothes.  Which isn't to say he couldn't have changed from what he wore on the bus into his stage clothes in between the two shots.  But that brings up the question of why the 8 ball was even used?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 05:57:39 AM by c-man » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 06:08:35 AM »

I'd read somewhere a few years ago that it was Ed Carter.  Malcolm Searles with the Beach Boys Opera Glass web site isn't sure either:

"All six members receive glorious stage representation within the spread, as does a small image of ever-loyal supporting musician Ed Carter, pictured backstage before the Hollywood show, although whose face is hidden by the superimposed ‘eight ball’, standing alongside a reclining Ricky Fataar in another shot, remains a mystery".

Makes sense that it was Rieley being hidden - can we get confirmation just for the hell of it, Craig?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:49:07 AM by Mikie » Logged

Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 07:46:27 AM »

Sorry, but it's the legendary Carli Munoz behind the proverbial 8-ball.
(And was he ever steamed about that being his 'best' shot on the gatefold...)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 08:21:23 AM »

That's Munoz?   With his big black 'fro hidden behind the 8-ball?  Well, now we know.....

That wasn't you who took those pictures, was it Ed?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:29:01 AM by Mikie » Logged

Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 09:13:10 AM »

That's Munoz?   With his big black 'fro hidden behind the 8-ball?  Well, now we know.....

That wasn't you who took those pictures, was it Ed?

Nope - they were taken by another Ed - Ed Caraeff.  Don't get me started...  Dennis & I had worked for months & months, actually more than a year, on my shooting, and us assembling, a massive collage for the cover, (the original of which I understand has turned up in the hands of a former associate of mine...), only to have them choose that shot of Dennis alone on the cover!  So, same as was the case with Pacific Ocean Blue, I got all hissy & took back all my work.  Guess I sometimes should have bit my tongue, & played the game, but hey - I'm a Brooklyn Irishman, and we sometimes are a little too hasty...
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx