gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 06:13:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Reunion: how would you plan it?  (Read 9555 times)
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2006, 07:56:32 AM »

Quick dedication to Charles Manson.   laugh

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2006, 11:16:04 AM »

I used to cringe at the thought of the BB's doing anything without Carl and Dennis...I still do in a way. But...there is still a good possibility this reunion thing will happen. If it does...there are five of the guys who played and sang on most of the signature BB's hits...that's a pretty good number. Any legitimate reunion would have to include...
The front line...
Brian...keyboards, vocals
Mike...vocals
Alan...guitar, vocals
David...guitar, vocals
Bruce...keyboard, vocals

Guests for period appropriate material...
Blondie...guitar, vocals
Ricky...drums, vocals

Backing musicians and vocalists...
Darian Sahanaja
Jeff Foskett
Probyn Gregory
Billy Hinsche
Ed Carter
Mike Meros
Kowalski or Figueroa
Matt Jardine
Carnie Wilson
Wendy Wilson
Justyn Wilson
Carl B. Wilson

With all of this talent, there's still less than 20 people. The BB's had more guys than that on stage in 1973. So I don't think it's out of hand. Do six shows. Two in L.A., Two in N.Y. and two in the UK. Film it, edit the best bits into one concert length feature film. Let Alan Boyd direct it, with interviews and appropriate filler material including plenty of props to Carl and Dennis. Call it "The Last Wave"...as a kind of nod to the Last Waltz. And most importantly...I get to choose the set list. 
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2006, 11:32:40 AM »

I'd like to see Daryl up there too, if he'd be up for it.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2006, 11:33:01 AM »

Uh, and Hal Blaine...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2006, 11:40:50 AM »

Well, seeing how many times people talk seriously about this topic, I have to ask: How likely is it, that a reunion will happen? Are there any quotes from the guys that would make it seem possible?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2006, 12:44:48 PM »

I don't believe that Mike would tour with Brian's band.

I'm pretty $ure it could be arranged $omehow...
SurferGirl7
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2006, 01:18:00 PM »

I would start off with a joint opening act with Wilson Phillips and The Honeys/Spring
wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2006, 01:27:01 PM »

Friends 2006

Meant For You (Friends)
Wouldn't It Be Nice (Pet Sounds)
This Whole World (Sunflower)
-Quick Dedication to Carl-
Long Promised Road (Surf's Up)
Be Here In the Morning (Friends)
Here She Comes (Carl & The Passions: So Tough)
Sail On Sailor (Holland)
Funky Pretty (Holland)
Honkin Down the Highway (Love You)
Heroes & Villians (Smiley Smile)

-Intermission-

Never Learn Not to Love (20/20)
-Quick Dedication to Dennis-
Forever (Sunflower)
Hold On Dear Brother (Carl & The Passions: So Tough)
Deirdre (Sunflower)
Vegetables (Smiley Smile version / Acapella)
All This is That (Carl & The Passions: So Tough)
God Only Knows (Pet Sounds)
Friends (Friends)

-Encore-
Help me, Rhonda!
California Girls
Surf's Up (Surf's Up)
Celebrate The News
You're Welcome (SMiLE)

I know, it'll never happen. But a boy can dream.  Cool Guy

Realistically you cannot have a BB's show without Good Vibrations or Surfin USA....those are primal BB tunes...

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2006, 02:04:14 PM »

and no Marcella? with Brian doing it in his sets, you can fit it in.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2006, 02:09:36 PM »

my two cents for a reunion: I wouldn't mind just to have a studio cd of new stuff with collaborations between Brian, Mike, Bruce, Al, and David. And an "in the studio" dvd like they did with Stars & Stripes. And  the dvd having them doing an acoustic live set for their family and friends. That would be enough for me. It doesn't have to be a huge spectacluar thing. Just all of them making music again would be spectacular.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Wyndham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2006, 04:15:28 PM »

Well, seeing how many times people talk seriously about this topic, I have to ask: How likely is it, that a reunion will happen? Are there any quotes from the guys that would make it seem possible?

On the homepage of this site there's a whole timeline dedicated to the prospect of a reunion. All of the surviving members have said they'd like to see it happen (except David Marks as far as I know). I'm not so sure, I think the revival in popularity is fading...

If it did, I'd have Matt Jardine doing the high parts instead of Jeff Foskett, and you would have to have Blondie to sing the Carl parts. I don't see why they would have to use any of the current 'touring groups' except for the old guys: Billy Hinsche, Hal Blaine, Fataar. Kowalski etc. Chuck in some of the 'family': the Wilson sons and daughters etc. Plus a Jack Rieley walk on for 'Day In A Life of a Tree' ( if he's still alive that is, I just don't know).

Also the obvious place for it is... The Royal Festival Hall. Tasteful, would easily sell out, and most importantly miles from the nearest Hawaiin shirt shop..

Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2006, 07:11:31 PM »

I'd love for Hal and Carol to play with the Boys in a reunion show.

oldsurferdude
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2006, 08:17:50 PM »

Sure, a reunion could happen-the most interesting sub-plot however would be the incredibly infinite negotiations that would have to take place between the Brian camp(Melinda) and the Mike camp(lawyers). By the time things would eventually tidied up, all the players would probably be close to death or even dead-But you can bet the house on one item-if the money is right, you'll see them back for a tour and possibly an album in no time-
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx