gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:13:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When Girls Get Together  (Read 2159 times)
ghost
« on: August 13, 2011, 10:00:49 PM »

One of my favorite songs. Not the one on the album but an unofficial one I heard from the Landlocked thing most likely. Never see it get much love - why? The rambling lyric is perfect. Mike Love is in fine, fine form here. The production of the song itself is brilliant. Did Brian mastermind this? Why doesn't Paul Mertens start taking notes in class from now on?
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 05:41:35 PM »

I totally agree! I remember this song made a lot of "15 Little Ones" lists recently. I really don't like the muddy mix on KTSA, but the Landlocked one is great. That sounds like a great Brian orchestral arrangement to me.

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 06:12:56 PM »

i dig it. any idea who plays the steel guitar?
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 07:18:59 AM »

I LOVE this song. Great 'European/continental' arrangement, lovely yearning wandering melody, odd lyrics, just perfect!!!

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 07:43:54 AM »

Glad to see I am not alone. I have long sung the praises of this song, which the majority here seem to hate (at least that was my impression in various discussions). I think it has a wonderful SMiLE vibe to it. There is no other BB song quite like it though. Love the last verse about two little girls giggling about boys and the old women lamenting the passing of their husbands. Beautiful stuff.
ghost
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »

Glad to see I am not alone. I have long sung the praises of this song, which the majority here seem to hate (at least that was my impression in various discussions). I think it has a wonderful SMiLE vibe to it. There is no other BB song quite like it though. Love the last verse about two little girls giggling about boys and the old women lamenting the passing of their husbands. Beautiful stuff.

It is very strange how this song is generally thought of within the fan community. It has one of their most interesting arrangements & Mike's singing is just the perfect fit for the song and the words. It's a perfect example of Brian's eccentric ability [I'm cooling on the word genius since Brian seems to like the word ABILITY].
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 08:25:34 AM »

I absolutely detest the song. No love at all for it. The music sounds like I feel when I have indigestion. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
ghost
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 08:28:57 AM »

I absolutely detest the song. No love at all for it. The music sounds like I feel when I have indigestion. Wink

It sounds like a John Steinback novel to me. Like some cosmic country band from the 1800s. Brian Wilson honky tonk piano player in the saloon. Mike Love gold miner. Al Jardine works in the carnival.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 08:50:56 AM »

*scratches head*

While most of the world considers the Beach Boys lightweight surf music, there a few audiophiles who know better. Within that group of fans is a microcosm of awesomeness that recognizes the pure ge--- erm, ability behind the creation of this song.  Grin
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 09:03:41 AM »

*scratches head*

While most of the world considers the Beach Boys lightweight surf music, there a few audiophiles who know better. Within that group of fans is a microcosm of awesomeness that recognizes the pure ge--- erm, ability behind the creation of this song.  Grin
Actually, if you listen real intently, their surf music is not all that lightweight. I like all eras of their music, so please don't pigeonhole me because I don't like one of their newer-era songs. I just don't like it. Some people don't like Through My Window, yet I like it a lot. Both songs have a similar flavor musically, but one appeals, while the other does not.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
ghost
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 09:37:43 AM »

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 10:17:41 AM »

*scratches head*

Actually, if you listen real intently, their surf music is not all that lightweight. I like all eras of their music, so please don't pigeonhole me because I don't like one of their newer-era songs. I just don't like it. Some people don't like Through My Window, yet I like it a lot. Both songs have a similar flavor musically, but one appeals, while the other does not.

Lighten up dude. I was being facetious. Hence the smiley.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 10:49:50 AM »

*scratches head*

Lighten up dude. I was being facetious. Hence the smiley.
I guess the "*scratches head*" had  me confused to the meaning of your post.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 11:37:18 AM »

Baby Let your Hair Grow Long off of BW  has a similar vibe....
in there own way these tracks are classic Brian !   Smiley

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 11:44:56 AM »

Baby Let your Hair Grow Long off of BW  has a similar vibe....
in there own way these tracks are classic Brian !   Smiley
Great tune, along with Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight, and the Night Bloomin' Jasmine section of Rio Grande.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,