gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 03:33:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Sound of Free"  (Read 15172 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2016, 03:41:53 AM »

I have a demo of Sound of Free and looking at it this morning, the date 4/12/70 is clearly printed on the label. I knew it was released on Dennis' birthday but I was surprised that the actual date was shown. I don't buy many singles but most of the others just seem to show the year.

If it's different from the other variations shown at the Starline site, it would be neat if you could send them scans so everyone could see it! 
http://www.beachboys45.nl/UK-SOLO-DW.htm  ( main site:  http://www.beachboys45.nl/     email:  info@beachboys45.nl   )

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2016, 03:44:02 AM »

Pretty much all promo/A label singles from the mid sixties in the UK have the exact release date on them. A boon to researchers !

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2016, 07:14:00 AM »

Lady sounds more like a demo than a finished product.

How many demos do you know that feature a strings overdub?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2016, 07:36:42 AM »

I can see how someone would say "Lady" sounds a bit demo-ish, especially the original mix (or even the booted stereo mix that appears on various "Landlocked" reel boots). Mostly the very beginning of the song, with the rhythm box and very dry, up-front Dennis vocal has that vibe. Before the strings come in, it *does* sounds somewhat like a studio demo. Once the strings come in, that kind of covers everything up enough to sound like a conventional finished recording.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 07:37:39 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2016, 09:45:43 AM »

I can see how someone would say "Lady" sounds a bit demo-ish, especially the original mix (or even the booted stereo mix that appears on various "Landlocked" reel boots). Mostly the very beginning of the song, with the rhythm box and very dry, up-front Dennis vocal has that vibe. Before the strings come in, it *does* sounds somewhat like a studio demo. Once the strings come in, that kind of covers everything up enough to sound like a conventional finished recording.

I do almost wonder if the drum machine on Lady and Til I Die was originally intended to be a placeholder, that would be re-recorded with real live actual drums, played by a human drummer, and that this final step never got done... or that it was eventually determined that the drum machine sounded cool enough to not need replacing.

For the record, I dig the drum machine on both songs.  A different flavor, and fascinating to hear the BB utilizing that sound; an interesting transitional era in music technology.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2016, 09:56:28 AM »

I have a demo of Sound of Free and looking at it this morning, the date 4/12/70 is clearly printed on the label. I knew it was released on Dennis' birthday but I was surprised that the actual date was shown. I don't buy many singles but most of the others just seem to show the year.

If it's different from the other variations shown at the Starline site, it would be neat if you could send them scans so everyone could see it!  
http://www.beachboys45.nl/UK-SOLO-DW.htm  ( main site:  http://www.beachboys45.nl/     email:  info@beachboys45.nl   )

Not much difference except for a big A across the centre of the label but nice to have that date.

Edited to add that I scanned and emailed to the above mentioned address.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 01:37:13 PM by Ang Jones » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2016, 09:48:41 AM »

I can see how someone would say "Lady" sounds a bit demo-ish, especially the original mix (or even the booted stereo mix that appears on various "Landlocked" reel boots). Mostly the very beginning of the song, with the rhythm box and very dry, up-front Dennis vocal has that vibe.

I think Desper was/is a genius mixer, and that Dennis' first lines are bone dry is just perfect. The emotions raw in your face, and then, when he first sings "Lady", the reverb expands and transcends the whole thing. When I first heard Linett's mix, I thought: "Oh no, what did he do? Reverb on Dennis' first lines?!? That's not how it's supposed to be!" Nothing demo-ish to me there. Deliberate molding of a piece of art.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2016, 01:06:31 PM »

I do almost wonder if the drum machine on Lady and Til I Die was originally intended to be a placeholder, that would be re-recorded with real live actual drums, played by a human drummer, and that this final step never got done... or that it was eventually determined that the drum machine sounded cool enough to not need replacing.

For the record, I dig the drum machine on both songs.  A different flavor, and fascinating to hear the BB utilizing that sound; an interesting transitional era in music technology.

I think the fact that a real live actual snare drum, played by a human drummer (or at least a human - I'm thinking Brian or Carl) was overdubbed onto the last third or so of "Til I Die", is indication that they determined it was a cool enough sound to not need replacing.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx