gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:11:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Sound of Free"  (Read 15176 times)
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2011, 01:47:33 PM »

That was a tough single to come up with for the collection.

I have yet to hear a good, clear version of 'Sound of Free'.  It's always sounded muddled to me. It begs for a re-mix/re-master. Maybe a result of too much ping-ponging of tracks back and forth. Did Desper produce that? Was that recorded at Brian's home studio or in the Heider mobile truck?

Guess it didn't quite make the cut for "Hawthorne, Ca.", but at least "Lady" (Fallin' In Love) did.

"Sound of Free" sounds good playing from my 45.  One of my better collectibles.

one of my only vinyl collecting regrets is that i did not take up the offer for me to trade my bamboo bootleg lp for a copy of the dennis wilson/rumbo 45. if i'd only known the bambu re-release would make my bamboo lp somewhat obsolete (different mixes at least i guess!). that being said, anyone looking to sell/trade a dennis wilson/rumbo 45 do feel free to contact me! Wink

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 08:10:39 PM »

I have yet to hear a good, clear version of 'Sound of Free'.  It's always sounded muddled to me. It begs for a re-mix/re-master. Maybe a result of too much ping-ponging of tracks back and forth. Did Desper produce that? Was that recorded at Brian's home studio or in the Heider mobile truck?

Guess it didn't quite make the cut for "Hawthorne, Ca.", but at least "Lady" (Fallin' In Love) did.

one of my only vinyl collecting regrets is that i did not take up the offer for me to trade my bamboo bootleg lp for a copy of the dennis wilson/rumbo 45. if i'd only known the bambu re-release would make my bamboo lp somewhat obsolete (different mixes at least i guess!). that being said, anyone looking to sell/trade a dennis wilson/rumbo 45 do feel free to contact me! Wink

WOW!! 
You've got enough $$ for the Rumbo 45 AND the Smile Sessions? you are one lucky sonofagun!!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2011, 08:34:37 PM »

I'll think about it. I'm more of a completest than a collector.   The only thing I've gone out and collected is the original 'Stack-o-tracks'.  As to DW and Rumbo, Must do some research as to it's value.  anybody know?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 09:04:30 PM »

I'll think about it. I'm more of a completest than a collector.   The only thing I've gone out and collected is the original 'Stack-o-tracks'.  As to DW and Rumbo, Must do some research as to it's value.  anybody know?

Not exactly; but then what version of Rumbo do you have?  ( France, UK, Dutch, Irish, New Zealand)

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 09:46:16 PM »

I'll think about it. I'm more of a completest than a collector.   The only thing I've gone out and collected is the original 'Stack-o-tracks'.  As to DW and Rumbo, Must do some research as to it's value.  anybody know?

Just to clarify - I thought a completest is a collector. You know, you try to collect pretty much everything so your collection is complete, or at least close to complete. To be a completest, you have to be a collector first, right? And you say you're a completest, so to the best of my knowledge, to do that (at least in the Beach Boys collector world) requires a whole lot more than searching down "Stack-o-Tracks"! There's a lot of BB collectibles that require "going out" to find, and they usually aren't in used record stores in your area. And, at least to me, the Dennis/Rumbo single is rare so it's one of the last things to try to get to complete the collection kind of late in the game after coming up with all of the original albums and singles. I guess if you just happened to come across the DW/Rumbo single casually at a record swap or record store instead of Ebay or mail order through Goldmine/Discoveries/Record Collector record auctions (even in the early 70's), then you're pretty damn lucky!

Just asking. I'm a little curious that "Stack-oTracks" was the only record you had to "go out" for. Didn't you have to "go out" for the Dennis/Rumbo single too?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:57:28 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 12:07:50 AM »

Just to clarify - I thought a completest is a collector. You know, you try to collect pretty much everything so your collection is complete, or at least close to complete. To be a completest, you have to be a collector first, right? And you say you're a completest, so to the best of my knowledge, to do that (at least in the Beach Boys collector world) requires a whole lot more than searching down "Stack-o-Tracks"! There's a lot of BB collectibles that require "going out" to find, and they usually aren't in used record stores in your area. And, at least to me, the Dennis/Rumbo single is rare so it's one of the last things to try to get to complete the collection kind of late in the game after coming up with all of the original albums and singles. I guess if you just happened to come across the DW/Rumbo single casually at a record swap or record store instead of Ebay or mail order through Goldmine/Discoveries/Record Collector record auctions (even in the early 70's), then you're pretty damn lucky!

Just asking. I'm a little curious that "Stack-oTracks" was the only record you had to "go out" for. Didn't you have to "go out" for the Dennis/Rumbo single too?

I thought 'Stack-O-Tracks' was a collectible as I paid $100 at the time.  Dennis Wilson/Rumbo - Picked it up for $5 at the Capitol Records Vinyl swap meet back in the day. 

And I picked it up cause I had never heard it.  I buy boots cause I long to hear everything the BB have recorded.  It's all about he music, not the money.  The way I see it, a Collector buys rare stuff (ie: collectible), completest wants every song.  I have every single Beatles solo album.  I'd used to buy all their solo singles so I could hear the non-LP B-sides.  Couldn't give a hoot if they were of value.

As to which version I have, good question.  I'm in Hawaii at the moment but my music collection (ha, got me) is at my house in Oregon.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 06:21:29 AM »

I thought 'Stack-O-Tracks' was a collectible as I paid $100 at the time.  Dennis Wilson/Rumbo - Picked it up for $5 at the Capitol Records Vinyl swap meet back in the day. 

And I picked it up cause I had never heard it.  I buy boots cause I long to hear everything the BB have recorded.  It's all about he music, not the money.  The way I see it, a Collector buys rare stuff (ie: collectible), completest wants every song.  I have every single Beatles solo album.  I'd used to buy all their solo singles so I could hear the non-LP B-sides.  Couldn't give a hoot if they were of value.

As to which version I have, good question.  I'm in Hawaii at the moment but my music collection (ha, got me) is at my house in Oregon.

Depending on how long ago you bought it, SOT could very well have been a "collectible". Heck, it still is. It's simply a fact that the internet has mad more original copies available, more easily, which has lowered the "value" as a collectible. Unfortunately; at least in my mind, because I also "paid alot for that muffler".

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 06:33:49 AM »

You paid 'alot' for it, eh Bgas? 

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 06:36:06 AM »

You paid 'alot' for it, eh Bgas? 

Hey, you know I luvya man!  So every time I type "a lot" I go back and remove the space to prove it!

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2011, 07:42:13 AM »

"Luvya" is two words. Bgas.   Love (or luv) you (ya). Two words.

Surfrider, I absconded with a few rare Beach Boys and Beatle things myself at the Capitol Records swap meet back in the 70's. Then they moved to the Pasadena Rose Bowl and I went there a couple of times, but it wasn't quite the same. Use to get to the Capitol Records parking lot at three or four in the morning to try to beat the other collectors to the good stuff!! That parking lot was the same spot that the Shut Down II cover was shot and I hear it was also above the recording studio (or sound chamber), which was underground.  It's funny, collectors started getting there earlier and earlier in the morning for the monthly swap meet - sellers would pull up in their vans and open the backs of trucks or their car trunks and sell stuff. Those were the days! Lotta fun.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2011, 01:45:52 PM »

"Luvya" is two words. Bgas.   Love (or luv) you (ya). Two words.

Surfrider, I absconded with a few rare Beach Boys and Beatle things myself at the Capitol Records swap meet back in the 70's. Then they moved to the Pasadena Rose Bowl and I went there a couple of times, but it wasn't quite the same. Use to get to the Capitol Records parking lot at three or four in the morning to try to beat the other collectors to the good stuff!! That parking lot was the same spot that the Shut Down II cover was shot and I hear it was also above the recording studio (or sound chamber), which was underground.  It's funny, collectors started getting there earlier and earlier in the morning for the monthly swap meet - sellers would pull up in their vans and open the backs of trucks or their car trunks and sell stuff. Those were the days! Lotta fun.

Yeah, those were the days!  And you never knew who else might be wandering around that swap meet.  My one and only sighting of Rodney Bingenheimer.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 01:48:39 PM »

Depending on how long ago you bought it, SOT could very well have been a "collectible". Heck, it still is. It's simply a fact that the internet has mad more original copies available, more easily, which has lowered the "value" as a collectible. Unfortunately; at least in my mind, because I also "paid alot for that muffler".

It sure has! I think I saw it going in the $60 range a few years back.

Personally, I think 'alot' should be made an official word!  i love to use it.

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2016, 06:24:15 AM »

ok.  I've been listening to this track on replay lately.  Is it me, or is Brian present on the falsetto line of this at 1.36 onwards for a bit.
it sounds too much like his 'sunflower' voice.  I am wondering if there is any or much documentation to this session that someone can
lead me too?  It's too Brian for me.  Please correct me  Undecided
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 06:25:18 AM by bringahorseinhere? » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2016, 08:42:20 AM »

Is it me, or is Brian present on the falsetto line of this at 1.36 onwards for a bit.

I think it's Carl, could be Brian, but it's definitely not you. Wink 2

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2016, 09:16:24 AM »

The mono single version of Sound of Free is on Made in California.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2016, 09:50:07 AM »

Isn't the mono single version the only version? When I hear "single version" I tend to think that implies there is also a different released version, is there is another mix of this song available?
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2016, 10:49:31 AM »

Is it me, or is Brian present on the falsetto line of this at 1.36 onwards for a bit.

It's always sounded like Carl to me, but Brian could be there as a third voice.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 10:53:11 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2016, 10:55:55 AM »

Isn't the mono single version the only version? When I hear "single version" I tend to think that implies there is also a different released version, is there is another mix of this song available?

The impression I've had is that no other version or tape is extant. I would guess they would have done a stereo remix if the multitracks were available. In fact, weren't there some questions as to whether even the actual master tape for the mono mix has survived, and questions about whether all the versions we've heard have been "needledrops?"

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2016, 10:57:41 AM »

I've seen one, and one only, clipping that said Carl & Brian sere doing the bvs. Contemporary UK review.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2016, 11:01:04 AM »

Correct. There's a stereo remix of the other side of the single on Summer Love Songs but there's only one version of "Sound Of Free".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2016, 03:46:35 PM »

I've seen one, and one only, clipping that said Carl & Brian sere doing the bvs. Contemporary UK review.

Good info! Was Sound of Free (and perhaps the flip Lady) played on the radio in the UK? Did the song enjoy any chart success?

Here in the US i was completely unaware of the existence of this single until Sound of Free was played on the 1976 radio special "The Best Summers of Our Lives". Didn't hear the flip side Lady 'till it appeared on a bootleg.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2016, 04:40:51 PM »

It appears that EMI " might" have been contemplating issuing the record in 1974 as The Beach Boys( based on this acetate shown at the Starline site) 
I have no idea why/ why tit didn't come to pass... 

http://www.beachboys45.nl/UK-SOLO-DW.htm

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2016, 05:41:10 PM »

It appears that EMI " might" have been contemplating issuing the record in 1974 as The Beach Boys( based on this acetate shown at the Starline site) 

If that had been in a hit in '74, with Denny acquiring a hit under his belt not long before the Brian's Back era, who knows how subsequent BB history might have played out...
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2016, 08:01:46 PM »

Very interesting info. Wonder whatever happened to the Sound of Free master and multitracks. The audio quality (mainly the EQ and thin sound) on the released single of Sound of Free has alway sounded subpar to me, while Lady sounds more like a demo than a finished product. The lackluster sound quality of the released single is surprising to me, as I'm virtually certain Stephen Desper engineered Sound of Free, and his work during the Add Some Music / Sunflower era is superb, so I'm assuming the issue took place when the EMI engineers EQ'd the track for release as a single. 

Also wonder what the acetate bgas posted the link to sounds like. If the owner is someone this board (eg, bgas or Lee D.) I'd love to know if the acetate sounds different from the single released in the UK December 1970.

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2016, 01:36:48 AM »

I have a demo of Sound of Free and looking at it this morning, the date 4/12/70 is clearly printed on the label. I knew it was released on Dennis' birthday but I was surprised that the actual date was shown. I don't buy many singles but most of the others just seem to show the year.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx