gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:37:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Til I Die  (Read 6000 times)
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 05:27:24 AM »

Interesting topic indeed!
  I've always relayed to family and friends that at my service I want the "Seconds Out" version of "Supper's Ready" by Genesis to be played in it's entirety. The end of this masterpiece alone is worth it.........."To take them to the new Jerusalemmmmmmmmmmmm"  Still sends shivers up my spine.
  Then the "In Concert" versions of "Sloop John B."  and "Let The Wind Blow".
  And of course to me the Greatest song Brian ever wrote....................."At My Window".

Fitting send off to this Musician.

Bri~
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2011, 05:28:01 AM »

Well the obvious choice for when my coffin dissapears behind that creepy curtain and heads towards the incinerator is 'Mrs O'Leary's Cow (Fire)'. Then perhaps 'Let The Wind Blow' for the scattering of the ashes? For the actual funeral service I want 'My Solution' played on a loop. Also, all the mourners have to wear striped blue and white shirts with tight white trousers.

Not bad. To take your idea a logical step further: I'll have my funeral fire started by a real cow. A big, fat, Dutch cow, fed appropriately, to get the biggest fart ever. I'll have a good friend at the ready with his Zippo. When the cow announces her Big One, he lights up. And thus, my friends, the incinerator will be started.

(Of course the risk is that the whole town nearby then will go up in flames. Well, that's good for my necrology, I guess.)

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2011, 06:06:35 AM »

Interesting. Although I think I might live forever, which may be not necessarily a good thing, I have pondered some BBs-related funeral songs.

'Til I Die' is not among them, mostly because it is about someone in depression, passive, not in control, until he expires. A great song, just not fit for leaving this world.

'Surf's Up' is certainly one of mine. The theme is: sadness, decadence, decay, the collapse of something important, but all of that is trancending into hope for the future, new things, the spirit of youth and creation.

'Let's Go Away For Awhile' is another. Can't exactly say why.

'Diamond Head' might be another candidate. I don't want morose stuff, whilst people are toasting on my demise with a glass of good red wine. But it should not be festive either.

Last weekend I caught part of Brian's BWPS movie on one of the Indie stations.   He spoke about Til I Die
 and he spoke about it very lucidly, and what emerged was the classic poetic trilogy of three:  the cork in the ocean, the rock in the landslide, and the leaf on a windy day,  indeed hauntingly beautiful, but more serious in tone rather than "depressing" IMHO.  It reminds me in a way of the Armando Manzanero song Somos Novios, translated into English and made wildly popular by Perry Como, "It's Impossible" ~and there is an interesting back story for this song which was nominated for a Grammy, but which had a judgment by an American Court, of plagiarism, but it was later acknowledged that Manzanero was the actual composer (sorry for the digression.)

What I find it is that it is contemplative, poetic work, and begs the question of our relative stature as being a community of sorts, as corks on the ocean, rocks in a landslide and leaves on a windy day, wiithin their various environments of the land, water and air. 

It is a beautifully composed simple metaphor of life, not death.  And food for thought and reality check when we start to think we are more important than we really are.  Sometimes the world is just not ready for artists' new thoughts or technique and by putting it out there risks rejection, which can be tough.  And,  I find that Summer in Paradise contains a couple of little gems as well!  Wink

theCOD
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2011, 06:18:25 AM »

Ok, I'm going to change my answer to Ding Dang on repeat.  Grin

Earlier this year I became convinced that song is the meaning of life. Perfect for a funeral.
ghost
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 09:04:14 AM »

Ok, I'm going to change my answer to Ding Dang on repeat.  Grin

Earlier this year I became convinced that song is the meaning of life. Perfect for a funeral.

What were you on? What is its meaning to you? If it can be expressed in words...? It is interesting that your meaning of life seems to includes, erm, dongs.

Afro
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2011, 12:03:08 PM »

Where is the a cappella mix of "'Til I Die", huh? I need it. It is a necessity for any upcoming rarities disc.

edit: and an a cappella mix of the "Day In The Life Of A Tree" coda!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2011, 12:49:47 PM »

Where is the a cappella mix of "'Til I Die", huh? I need it. It is a necessity for any upcoming rarities disc.

edit: and an a cappella mix of the "Day In The Life Of A Tree" coda!

Rock!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2011, 01:12:38 PM »

a day in the life of a tree more like a day in the life of Rock!
ghost
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2011, 01:22:45 PM »

a day in the life of a tree more like a day in the life of Rock!

Hhahaa what is this? i see Jonas doing it all the time andseeing soemoen else sod oit ahas madei t hilaruosu
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2011, 08:14:09 PM »

Mrs O'leary's Cow may be appropriate for anyone going to hell

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2011, 12:39:07 AM »

Hehe... thing is: hell doesn't exist. There is no single place in the whole of the Bible that indicates a fiery afterlife for ever, not even a purgatory. These things were thought up by pretty mad church fathers who wanted to exert as much power as they could over their subservient herds. The Bible only mentions a couple of landfills near Jerusalem of old, where also cadavers of animals, and bodies of criminals were disposed of, mainly for hygienic reasons. Names: She'ol and Gehenna. They're not named often, and have a very minor importance in the Holy Book.

Now, a glaring omission in the Bible is, of course, a sort of oven, in which crimes against taste like 'Looking Back With Love/ Country Love' and 'Summer In Paradise' can be burned. But I have it on good authority that the next edition of Scriptures will rectify this situation.

Paulos
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2011, 05:27:55 AM »

Hmmmm, you seem to have missed the link between cremation and fire. Here ya go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cremation

Or perhaps you were implying that I'm going to hell, if such a place exists? It's hard to tell, you didn't use an emoticon.  Evil
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2011, 05:49:41 AM »

Hehe... thing is: hell doesn't exist. There is no single place in the whole of the Bible that indicates a fiery afterlife for ever, not even a purgatory. These things were thought up by pretty mad church fathers who wanted to exert as much power as they could over their subservient herds. The Bible only mentions a couple of landfills near Jerusalem of old, where also cadavers of animals, and bodies of criminals were disposed of, mainly for hygienic reasons. Names: She'ol and Gehenna. They're not named often, and have a very minor importance in the Holy Book.

Now, a glaring omission in the Bible is, of course, a sort of oven, in which crimes against taste like 'Looking Back With Love/ Country Love' and 'Summer In Paradise' can be burned. But I have it on good authority that the next edition of Scriptures will rectify this situation.

I am not asking anyone to believe it, but the Bible does say there is a hell.
Matthew13:41,42

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2011, 05:53:48 AM »

One could also have 'Summer In Paradise' played in full.

To remind the visitors that there may be good reasons to shuffle of this mortal coil.
LOL LOL LOL

Here's mine

1) Our Parayer - as they enter crematorium, obvious choice

2) Ding Dang - after the eulogies, no dammit, instead of the eulogies, just the Ding Dang vocal edited together into a 10 minute uber-version

3) Chug-a-lug - as the coffin goes behind the curtain

4) Help Me Rhonda - the Murry Wilson remix,  so as they leave they can be reminded that I was a genius too y'know
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2011, 05:59:28 AM »

The bible also says to let a sexually depraved mob gang rape your two daughters rather than let them sodomize your male dinner guest
Genesis 19:1-13

I wouldn't put too much faith in an old book written by a bunch of misogynistic desert dwellers personally.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2011, 05:59:42 AM »

Intriguing. Don't know if this qualifies as hell in the spirit of the Catholic Church, but worthy of investigation nonetheless.

ghost
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2011, 07:33:26 AM »

As someone who has died & returned back to life I feel obliged to inform you all that even I witnessed no hellfire. If I am in the clear, you will be.

What there is, in place, is an eternal Carl Wilson solo album tour going on in the beyond since the day he died on earth.  Evil

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2011, 07:48:04 AM »

Intriguing. Don't know if this qualifies as hell in the spirit of the Catholic Church, but worthy of investigation nonetheless.

I always thought it was odd that the Tanakh gives no mention of a hell or place of eternal damnation, but when Jesus shows up in the Christian gospels he is talking about hell constantly. Christians i've talked to find it hard to believe that there is no mention of hell in 'the old testament' - I ask them why it's hard to believe and then they admit that they haven't read the entire bible. LOL. I think I know more atheists that have read the bible in its entirety than Christians.

Back to the topic....I may change my initial answer: i'll have Summer In Paradise on loop-play to piss everyone off in the funeral hall - why not go out with a bang? Wink

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2011, 07:52:10 AM »

As someone who has died & returned back to life I feel obliged to inform you all that even I witnessed no hellfire. If I am in the clear, you will be.

What there is, in place, is an eternal Carl Wilson solo album tour going on in the beyond since the day he died on earth.  Evil

You are Jerry Lee Lewis and I claim my $ 2.43

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2011, 05:30:22 PM »

The bible also says to let a sexually depraved mob gang rape your two daughters rather than let them sodomize your male dinner guest
Genesis 19:1-13

I wouldn't put too much faith in an old book written by a bunch of misogynistic desert dwellers personally.

That was an historical story about how corrupt S&G had become. The most 'righteous' man in the country apparently willing to give away his daughters like that. Very sad.

ghost
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2011, 05:36:45 PM »

Where does one find such a sexually depraved mob? I mean, I know there are questionable elements of society but I rarely see sexually depraved mobs just roaming the streets looking for male dinner guests to f***.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2011, 02:09:41 AM »

Only in the bible, and some areas of North Yorkshire

And sorry Magic, perhaps I misinterpreted the Bible Wink
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 02:12:43 AM by Iron Horse-Apples » Logged
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2011, 11:38:55 AM »

I'll take "Don't Worry Baby" - their crowning achievement.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2011, 09:58:33 AM »

And I hope nobody misinterpreted me. I really don't hope anyone goes to hell.  Evil

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2011, 09:29:02 PM »

What there is, in place, is an eternal Carl Wilson solo album tour going on in the beyond since the day he died on earth.

Ya know, some of us here might just see that as a vision of Heaven rather than the opposite!  Carl = Love

My version of the "opposite place" is being stuck in an elevator with dreary instrumental (i.e., muzak) versions of BB songs being played loudly. Tongue

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx