gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 09:49:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Til I Die  (Read 6020 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2011, 03:54:21 AM »

Just stumbled across this recent article whilst googling "Beach Boys Smile Sessions" in vain hope of new info.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2022367/DYLAN-JONES-Say-goodbye-Beach-Boys.html

Dylan Jones, editor of GQ, lists 4 BB songs that he wants played at his funeral.

Anyone else have similar plans?

I always thought 'Add Some Music' might be a good song to bow out to. That or Breakaway. In fact, the more I listen to Breakaway, the more I think it is a perfect funeral song, and quite morbid in its own way.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 05:26:22 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 03:59:44 AM »

Interesting. Although I think I might live forever, which may be not necessarily a good thing, I have pondered some BBs-related funeral songs.

'Til I Die' is not among them, mostly because it is about someone in depression, passive, not in control, until he expires. A great song, just not fit for leaving this world.

'Surf's Up' is certainly one of mine. The theme is: sadness, decadence, decay, the collapse of something important, but all of that is trancending into hope for the future, new things, the spirit of youth and creation.

'Let's Go Away For Awhile' is another. Can't exactly say why.

'Diamond Head' might be another candidate. I don't want morose stuff, whilst people are toasting on my demise with a glass of good red wine. But it should not be festive either.

When I think of more, I'll come back.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
theCOD
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 05:26:12 AM »

Four from Smiley:

Vegetables
Heroes and Villains
Fall Breaks and Back to Winter
Whistle In
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 06:50:04 AM »

I've long desired to have my funeral open and close with "Our Prayer" - my (yet to be completed) version to open and the Beach Boys version to close.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 06:56:07 AM »

I've long desired to have my funeral open and close with "Our Prayer" - my (yet to be completed) version to open and the Beach Boys version to close.

Not bad. Opening with One For The Boys and closing with Our Prayer would be aesthetically pleasing too.

ghost
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 06:58:51 AM »

Student Demonstration Time. (Mike Love agrees to perform it at my funeral wearing a fake beard, this is just a little opening to the funeral).

Take Good Care Of Your Feet (I died of foot related problems - this song makes everyone cry uncontrollably).

Don't Go Near The Water (a jellyfish stung my foot in the ocean).

Brian performing selected Baldwin organ excerpts to a reading of the Psychedelic Book Of The Dead (So that my soul can traverse the bardo successfully and find suitable parents to be born as a male again to attain supreme enlightenment in my next life, like Mike Love).

2 and a half
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 07:16:23 AM »

Be Still
All Alone
Busy Doin' Nothin'
Forever
Here Comes the Night
I Went to Sleep
It's Over Now
Shut Down

there are so many...
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 07:24:19 AM »

Take Good Care Of Your Feet (I died of foot related problems - this song makes everyone cry uncontrollably).

Love it!

Here Comes the Night
I Went to Sleep
Shut Down

Also very funny

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
ghost
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 07:24:35 AM »

ENDLESS SLEEP

(didn't Brian do a song called this? I've never heard it so for all I know it could be about how Brian accidentally killed his surfer girl while making love and now she's in endless sleep laying on his bed)

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 07:25:32 AM »

When I die and my corpse is being wheeled around some dingy funeral hall, the last thing i'd want is a Beach Boys song being played. Funerals are normally bleak affairs and I wouldn't want the attending people thinking of my dead body every time they heard 'California Girls' on the radio anytime after the funeral.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
ghost
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 07:31:14 AM »

When I die and my corpse is being wheeled around some dingy funeral hall, the last thing i'd want is a Beach Boys song being played. Funerals are normally bleak affairs and I wouldn't want the attending people thinking of my dead body every time they heard 'California Girls' on the radio anytime after the funeral.

That's why you, with your death, have to change things. You have the power, Rab. When you die - make it a celebration. Rab has entered the Unknown. His corporeal form lays lifeless before us but his spirit liveth on forever. Shining Mike Love's gold shoes in heaven.

*cue Funky Pretty*

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 07:46:34 AM »

Hmmm.....my response obviously didn't go through...ah well...here goes...

Personally, I don't want a funeral. But if people insist on funeralizing me, I want it to be New Orleans-style, complete with people dancing on my casket at some point. Only thing, though, is that nothing Beach Boys-related has that New Orleans vibe to it.

HOWEVER -- maybe "All Summer Long" would work for this. Why? Well, I dunno about the rest of the tour, but at Brian's concert in St. Charles, for the final encore Brian and the guys processed out on stage New Orleans-style to a rhythm Mike tapped out on his snare. (They didn't do this in Toronto, which is why I'm wondering if they did that for any other show.)

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 08:03:20 AM »

Mount Vernon and Fairway

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 08:21:51 AM »

Opening: Ding Dang

Closing: Shortenin' Bread

rogerlancelot
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 08:35:50 AM »

"Farewell My Friend" and "The End Of The Show" from POB. Makes perfect sense.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 11:14:09 AM »

HOWEVER -- maybe "All Summer Long" would work for this. Why? Well, I dunno about the rest of the tour, but at Brian's concert in St. Charles, for the final encore Brian and the guys processed out on stage New Orleans-style to a rhythm Mike tapped out on his snare. (They didn't do this in Toronto, which is why I'm wondering if they did that for any other show.)

they did this in Atlanta. and the final encore was..... All Summer Long!
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 11:14:43 AM »

My funeral will start out with:

"Still I Dream of It" (demo version)

just to get people unsettled.  Then it will continue with:

"Lay Down Burden"

just to provoke uncontrolled and convulsive weeping.  Then, in closing, I'll send them out with:

"Do the Hustle"

Why not?

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 11:43:12 AM »

"Ding Dang."
Over & over & over again.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 12:13:04 PM »

People already mentioned them, but Ding Dang & Shortenin' Bread are excellent funeral songs.

Also Good Vibrations. My friend told me he'd do an a capella version.

No mas, por favor.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 01:40:34 PM »

"Ding Dang" or the "Radio King Dom" snippet on an endless loop!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 10:07:13 PM »

"Metal Beach". What else could it be, y'dig?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtsitzByy7I
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 01:20:25 AM »

'Life Is For The Living' ---> 'Wouldn't It Be Nice (To Live Again)'.

Yes, that's it.

Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 04:01:11 AM »

'Life Is For The Living' ---> 'Wouldn't It Be Nice (To Live Again)'.

Yes, that's it.

Life Is For The Living-definitely. Especially if you could time the yell at the end to coincide with the flames wrapping around your coffin!! Grin

Mine would have to include IJWMFTT and end on Tear Drops
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 04:17:44 AM »

One could also have 'Summer In Paradise' played in full.

To remind the visitors that there may be good reasons to shuffle of this mortal coil.

Paulos
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 05:18:08 AM »

Well the obvious choice for when my coffin dissapears behind that creepy curtain and heads towards the incinerator is 'Mrs O'Leary's Cow (Fire)'. Then perhaps 'Let The Wind Blow' for the scattering of the ashes? For the actual funeral service I want 'My Solution' played on a loop. Also, all the mourners have to wear striped blue and white shirts with tight white trousers.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx