gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:49:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Jon Stebbins Thread  (Read 139807 times)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2007, 07:07:41 AM »

the murder on his first day in the business that occured in front of him

What was that about? Sorry Im confused...
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2007, 07:28:32 AM »

Some dude charged in and stabbed the guy who was signing Bruce to a contract. I think that's how the story goes. But that illustrates my point how there's a book in there.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2007, 07:30:57 AM »

Some dude charged in and stabbed the guy who was signing Bruce to a contract. I think that's how the story goes. But that illustrates my point how there's a book in there.

Man Id never heard that before. That must have been one truly horrible experience. Yeh I would love to see Jon or someone else with his passion and knowledge for the band write a book on both Bruce and Carl and maby even throw in a book on Mike and one on Al Wink Cheesy
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2007, 07:38:44 AM »

I always thought Bruce would make a good book subject.

I once saw a set of four books in a box, one book each about all four Beatles. Something similar about the Beach Boys would be great. I'm sure all volumes (except for maybe the one about Al) would be very interesting.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2007, 07:52:20 AM »

I always thought Bruce would make a good book subject.

I once saw a set of four books in a box, one book each about all four Beatles. Something similar about the Beach Boys would be great. I'm sure all volumes (except for maybe the one about Al) would be very interesting.
Yeh I was thinking along those lines too. That would indeed be very nice. I think a book on Al would be interesting though. I wouldnt mind hearing his opinions on the history of The Beach Boys. Its always nice to have a book written from everyones perspective of things.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2007, 04:12:34 PM »

Jon, has your new book been released in Australia at all? I live In Sydney and I searched the three major book stores in the city (ie: Dymocks, Borders & Angus & Robertson) and none of them seemed to have it, so Im assuming it hasnt been released out here yet (i could be wrong) but if thats the case then is it being released in Australia?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2007, 01:12:23 PM »

Distribution can be a tricky thing when it comes to timing. The only "official" releases scheduled were March 8th in the U.K. and May 29th in the U.S. However, I expect the book will find its way into nearly every other major country through the vast distribution channels Virgin has at its disposal. It may not be until after the U.S. release that you will physically see it in the stores in Australia Mikeyj. Amazon.co.uk is a good way to go if you want it sooner. Thanks for your interest!
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2007, 03:19:05 AM »

Distribution can be a tricky thing when it comes to timing. The only "official" releases scheduled were March 8th in the U.K. and May 29th in the U.S. However, I expect the book will find its way into nearly every other major country through the vast distribution channels Virgin has at its disposal. It may not be until after the U.S. release that you will physically see it in the stores in Australia Mikeyj. Amazon.co.uk is a good way to go if you want it sooner. Thanks for your interest!

Thanks Mr. Stebbins. I think I will just wait until it arrives in Australia as Im pretty short on cash at the moment. I look forward to reading the book when I get it though and if its anywhere near or even better than your Dennis book then I will defiantely enjoy it.
MBE
« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2007, 12:57:34 AM »

Just wanted to say I finished the David Marks book and find it excellent. I thought it was funny that Amazon US sent me an English copy with all the colour slang but it was great and I really do have a much better feel for Dave's talent. I am going to track down vinyl copies of the Moon and Marksmen stuff asap. Thanks for another fine work.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2007, 07:57:38 AM »

I thought it was funny that Amazon US sent me an English copy with all the colour slang

"Slang"?
MBE
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2007, 01:06:03 PM »

Well perhaps I should say the English version of english. For instance Brian and Murry both had a thing for Dave's mum.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2007, 02:37:48 PM »

Hi, Glad you enjoyed the book MBE. I agree the UK edit is a bit weird for a California bloke like me-self who uses the word "dude" way too much. I have a feeling that when re-prints start happening the orig. (non UK) edit might surface, figured all the U.S. copies would have had this, but perhaps the first wave of sales in the U.S. are part of the first UK pressing...just a guess. No one tells me what's actually going on..such is the life of a tortured artist. On the upside, if you can get around the occasional British-ism in the wording, the edit they used in the book is VERY true to what David and I wanted. There were no major cuts or alterations to the text...they pretty much printed the exact manuscript we turned in...just fancied up the language in a few minor ways. The story and the facts are all there, and the tone is definitely the one I wrote.
MBE
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2007, 05:06:47 PM »

Tell you the truth the English rewrite didn't impede my enjoyment of it in any way. If anything it was fun picking it out. It really makes the reader realize that the Beach Boys are real people with similar backgrounds to many of us.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2007, 12:31:45 AM »

Personally, old chap, I found the UK edition to be top hole, absolutely spiffing, what ?  Cool

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2007, 09:57:42 AM »

Just finished the book and found it fascinating - particularly the attempts by Mike to bring David back, first in the Surf's Up 70-71 era - apparently to replace Bruce - and then later in the 90's to replace Al!  It's a shame so little of David's guitar mastery and overall muscianship has not been committed to vinyl or CD - I'd love to hear more of the songs and tracks described by Jon in the book.  I think about how great it would have been to have David and Dennis collaborate on his solo projects, they were really kindred spirits, and Dennis would have benefitted tremedously from David's musical arranging and playing skills - maybe Poops and Bamboo would have been released!  But then I realize such a partnership would not have been good for David healthwise.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2007, 12:46:28 PM »

Just finished the book and found it fascinating - particularly the attempts by Mike to bring David back, first in the Surf's Up 70-71 era - apparently to replace Bruce - and then later in the 90's to replace Al!  It's a shame so little of David's guitar mastery and overall muscianship has not been committed to vinyl or CD - I'd love to hear more of the songs and tracks described by Jon in the book.  I think about how great it would have been to have David and Dennis collaborate on his solo projects, they were really kindred spirits, and Dennis would have benefitted tremedously from David's musical arranging and playing skills - maybe Poops and Bamboo would have been released!  But then I realize such a partnership would not have been good for David healthwise.

Keep any eye on David's own website (www.davidleemarks.com) as he has 2 CD's in the pipeline - firstly a definitive collection of Marksmen material, and secondly a collection of 'the missing years' sessions. Sadly, they've been held back from their initial release date but I understand that they are still 'forthcoming' ...  Grin

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2007, 10:02:47 PM »

I almost died laughing when I read the bit about Mike bugging Dave about writing home to his parents. Then to see what he finally wrote and showed it to Mike. Hillarious!!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2007, 10:18:43 AM »

I almost died laughing when I read the bit about Mike bugging Dave about writing home to his parents. Then to see what he finally wrote and showed it to Mike. Hillarious!!

I was so pleased that David agreed to let me put that in the book. I really wanted that in because it so beautifully illustrates the absurdity of what was happening in Dave's life as a 14 year old.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2007, 11:54:12 AM »

Jon -

Really enjoying the book so far.  I was late to pick it up but finally got it for my birthday.  It is so much fun to go back into Beach Boys World and get to know the Wilsons, and Dave and Mike better by getting this new perspective on their childhoods.

One thing I wanted to bring up was: there is a passage where you're talking about Al, and you mention the "myth that Al goes off to college in some eastern location."

Well, as far as I know, AGD and Brad Elliott contacted Ferris State University in western Michigan a few years ago and confirmed that an Alan C Jardine was a student there for a couple of semesters, as well as confirming that Al's Dad was on the faculty there.

However, all of this happened way before the myth states, in early 61 or something.

So, there is some truth to that myth, it's just timed differently.

I've thought about going over to Ferris State, which is not far from my parent's house in Grand Rapids, to see if I could dig up anything.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2007, 04:00:06 PM »

Glad you are enjoying the book. I did find a couple of instances in the press from '64 and '65 where the BB's clearly say that Al left the group to go "back east to dental school," but now he's back for good. I might have been more specific in my description of the chronology of this myth, as you said there is an earlier instance of Al going east for education prior to the Beach Boys being an entity. That is very true. But what fascinates me and what I wanted to underline, is that for almost four decades we BB's fans were under the impression that Al left the BB's and went off to dental school in the east before coming back to the band the next year. AGD was the first person i know that discovered this premise had a basic flaw, Al was in L.A. in '62 and '63, with a job and enrolled in a local school. It seems very odd to me that no one from the BB's camp or none of the first wave of BB's journalists questioned why we were given this folk tale about dental school, and i really think the Labor Day weekend story is a similar creation. It's true to an extent because it happened...as did Al going dental... but it also fuzzies up the true chronology of the Beach Boys genesis, making it more palatable and less Dave Marks friendly. I don't think the constant use of these two stories happened by coincidence or by chance, i think it was a planned pr strategy from the inside that began in early 1964. That is when Al Jardine becomes the founder, original, dare I say "real" Beach Boy and David becomes the "fill-in". Before that Al didn't exist in the press reports about the band as they gained their initial fame across the U.S.
kshane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 26, 2007, 07:10:48 PM »

Jon, I heard Dennis Kelly's interview with you and David on luxuriamusic.com on Friday. It was very interesting. I have a copy of your new book, and I look forward to reading it.

There's one thing I'm not clear on; during the interview I think you said that you were either updating or editing the Dennis Wilson book. I assume that it's with an eye to a reissue. I've seen the question asked about that here, but not answered. Will your book on Dennis be reissued, and if so, when.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2007, 07:29:09 AM »

Hi, glad you heard the Luxuria interview, it was fun. Yes, there is a planned revised and expanded edition of the DW book in the works. I do not know when the release date will be yet. Thanks.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2007, 04:43:21 PM »

I look forward to that reissue, Jon!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
kshane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2007, 03:35:20 PM »

Jon, I just finished The Lost Beach Boy, and I want to let you know how much I enjoyed it. David's story is fascinating, and so was your telling of it. What a life the guy has had. There's a lesson there about how it doesn't matter how long you wander in the wilderness as long as you finally find the peace that you've been seeking.

One thing that shines through brilliantly is that despite all the trials and tribulations, David is a great guy, with a big heart. That's another thing that he had in common with his old friend Dennis. Sadly, Dennis never found his way out of the wilderness.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2007, 05:04:22 PM »

Jon, I just finished The Lost Beach Boy, and I want to let you know how much I enjoyed it. David's story is fascinating, and so was your telling of it. What a life the guy has had. There's a lesson there about how it doesn't matter how long you wander in the wilderness as long as you finally find the peace that you've been seeking.

One thing that shines through brilliantly is that despite all the trials and tribulations, David is a great guy, with a big heart. That's another thing that he had in common with his old friend Dennis. Sadly, Dennis never found his way out of the wilderness.

Well, thanks a bunch for the nice words. I'm glad you enjoyed the story. You definitely got it right when you mentioned the similarity between David and Dennis. There's a couple of things that Dave often says. 1) Dennis was his tour guide to the world from age 7 to 15, probably his most crucial years of development. All David wanted was... to be just like DW, and he did or tried to do everything Dennis did. 2) He would have kept doing what DW did if they'd stayed together. And although during his post Hawthorne life David did nearly everything he could to court disaster and be as bad a boy as he could, he didn't quite have the access or money that Dennis did. Denny's access to temptation was even greater than Dave's. That small degree of difference might be the only thing that kept David alive.

And you're right. Despite all the dark stuff, David is a really good soul, a good heart, and an insightful guy. He must have been born with some brain cells to spare because there's no doubt he burned up a bunch of them...but you wouldn't know it to talk to him today. He's very articulate and intelligent. Sobriety has been fantastic for him.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx