gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681020 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 10:15:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Little Girl I Once Knew  (Read 13971 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2012, 11:01:32 AM »

It's a tremendous track and should've been a hit. Definately in my top twenty, perhaps even top ten - and he didn't even put it on an album!? Brian was on fire back then!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2012, 11:38:34 AM »

It's a tremendous track and should've been a hit. Definately in my top twenty, perhaps even top ten - and he didn't even put it on an album!? Brian was on fire back then!

It did make a volume 3 of the later "best of" compilations.  It might have fit on 20/20 a little better with the retro feel; which, if anything, had a more eclectic playlist.  If it didn't make SDSN (acronyms!) where to put it? 

It did not do that badly, #8 in Boston in November of 1965, during a time of fierce competition to break into the top 10.  Wiki has some markets faring better, as high as #4. 

Always one of my favorites and such cool voicing of "look out, babe, and...split man" with Mike, razor sharp, delivering the message.  And, paved the way to BB fandom on that little thing called the radio... Wink
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2012, 12:15:35 PM »

It did make a volume 3 of the later "best of" compilations.  It might have fit on 20/20 a little better with the retro feel; which, if anything, had a more eclectic playlist.  If it didn't make SDSN (acronyms!) where to put it? 

It did not do that badly, #8 in Boston in November of 1965, during a time of fierce competition to break into the top 10.  Wiki has some markets faring better, as high as #4. 

Always one of my favorites and such cool voicing of "look out, babe, and...split man" with Mike, razor sharp, delivering the message.  And, paved the way to BB fandom on that little thing called the radio... Wink

It made the second "best of" comp. (the third one was for The Brother Years), and also the Warmth of The Sun comp, the follow up to Sounds of Summer.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2012, 12:55:20 PM »

He's referring to the original "Best of the Beach Boys Vol. 3" on vinyl from 1968.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2012, 05:15:59 PM »

Nobody ever mentions this, but Mike might have dug his own grave with the lyrics to this song.

I would agree with this. The lyrics are almost creepy in the bad Lazy Lizzy/Hey Little Tomboy way. We met when she was younger, but too young, now im trying for her. It's like: Then she was 13 and I am 19, but now she's 15 and I'm 21. HEY COULD THIS WORK?
Then again this was the actual case with Brian and Marilyn right? Guess reality is creepier than the song.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2012, 06:38:14 PM »

Nobody ever mentions this, but Mike might have dug his own grave with the lyrics to this song.

I would agree with this. The lyrics are almost creepy in the bad Lazy Lizzy/Hey Little Tomboy way. We met when she was younger, but too young, now im trying for her. It's like: Then she was 13 and I am 19, but now she's 15 and I'm 21. HEY COULD THIS WORK?
Then again this was the actual case with Brian and Marilyn right? Guess reality is creepier than the song.

Of course, if you weren't such a pedophiliac-leaning lecher, you'd probably have thought: "we met when she was 9 and I was 10, now I'm 17, she's a fantastic 16 and I'm going to try for her.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2012, 07:09:56 AM »

If "The Little Girl I Once Knew" had been a bigger hit, Capitol suits would likely have insisted it be included on PET SOUNDS. And that wouldn't have been a bad a idea. You could swap it for "Sloop John B" and the flow of the record would be fine.

Mike's "split man" is a super cool moment. This one tune greatly deepened my interest in The Beach Boys when I first heard it on SPIRIT OF AMERICA.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2012, 02:00:33 PM »

Also, I like Pet Sounds tracklisting and wouldn't change it a iota. So I can't see TLGIOK (even if it's done in a very artistic way) to be one of the tracks of PS, it differs from them by many reasons, f.ex. the song doesn't have such a wide variety of instruments, not so original in terms of melody (imo) etc. Imo its place is on SD&SN.       

That's cool. I can understand that.

I haven't officially burned a playlist yet, but my 'slightly-alternate' Pet Sounds goes like this.

Side One: Wouldn't It Be Nice/You Still Believe In Me/That's Not Me/Don't Talk/I'm Waiting For The Day/Sloop John B
Side Two:God Only Knows/The Little Girl I Once Knew/Here Today/I Just Wasn't Made For These Times/I Know There's An Answer/Caroline No

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx