gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681512 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 02:01:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] Go Down Print
Author Topic: In The Key Of Disney  (Read 137033 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: November 23, 2011, 07:13:45 AM »

The other bonus track, though, A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes, I can't get past the opening bars. I'm just aurally offended by the Sail On Sailor riff that was ripped off to open it.  Just a personal thing…

I know what you mean, but what Brian does with this during the song's coda is so nice, I forgive the SOS steal. The fact that this is a Disney album somewhat obscures the fact that "Baby Mine", "Stay Awake" and "Peace On Earth" are among Brian's most beautiful arrangements and performances - real heirs to tracks like "We'll Run Away", "Don't Talk" and "Wonderful". The rest I fully expect to hear playing over loud speakers in Downtown Disney or in the theme park gift shops the next time I visit Disney World. In fact, "Heigh Ho" nails the sound of typical Disney "dark ride" theme music, so much so that I wouldn't be surprised if it's used for the upcoming Seven Dwarf's Roller Coaster ride in Fantasyland.

On your recommendation, I'm gonna interrupt TSS to give it another whirl!  Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: November 23, 2011, 07:50:41 AM »

I wanted to hate this, as I thought it was a bad idea, but it turned out pretty good.  Curses Foiled again!

Bought the Amazon mp3 package with bonuses, and it sounds OK.  But now that irks me a a bit because, as an audiophile snob, I want all of these in at least CD if not hi-rez sound. Bonus tracks too.

BB Central, Disney, and/or BriMel should get their acts together and hook up with HDTracks or someone like it to issue this, BWRG, TLOS and BWPS (as well as TSS) in higher-rez formats for those who want them that way and will pay for them.  Mark hints at this in the Icon Fetch follow-up interview just posted.  See the Rolling Stones Decca catalog and the Beatles hi-rez flash drive anthology, not to mention more recent titles.  Yeah it's a niche market but it's one you want to cultivate - these people are music nuts and will spread the word for you!

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: November 23, 2011, 07:57:00 AM »

We're all gonna be broke!

“We live in divisive times.”
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: November 23, 2011, 08:12:42 AM »

Yeah it's a niche market but it's one you want to cultivate - these people are music nuts and will spread the word for you!

Sadly, most BW and BB projects over the last 10 years have shown zero interest in this niche market.

TSS might be an exception, but it's an exception because of its legendary status.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:43:59 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: November 23, 2011, 09:19:32 AM »

The other bonus track, though, A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes, I can't get past the opening bars. I'm just aurally offended by the Sail On Sailor riff that was ripped off to open it.  Just a personal thing…

I know what you mean, but what Brian does with this during the song's coda is so nice, I forgive the SOS steal. The fact that this is a Disney album somewhat obscures the fact that "Baby Mine", "Stay Awake" and "Peace On Earth" are among Brian's most beautiful arrangements and performances - real heirs to tracks like "We'll Run Away", "Don't Talk" and "Wonderful". The rest I fully expect to hear playing over loud speakers in Downtown Disney or in the theme park gift shops the next time I visit Disney World. In fact, "Heigh Ho" nails the sound of typical Disney "dark ride" theme music, so much so that I wouldn't be surprised if it's used for the upcoming Seven Dwarf's Roller Coaster ride in Fantasyland.

On your recommendation, I'm gonna interrupt TSS to give it another whirl!  Grin

John, I also heartily recommend In the Key on Disney; it is drop dead gorgeous singing and playing.  Gosh almighty the arrangements are just beautiful; my two faves are the 2 Randy Newman numbers.  I've gotta get back to this one.

Uh. Unfortunately. I've. Been. Listening. To. Something. Else. Non-stop. Since. 11/01/11.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: December 02, 2011, 09:29:14 PM »

"Peace On Earth" is available for free on Amazon today.
Non-americans (like me) are still not allowed to download it though.
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: December 03, 2011, 08:13:59 AM »

Thank you so much for the head's up on this. I've been wanting to hear this since it came out!!!
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #857 on: December 03, 2011, 08:42:18 AM »

Thank you so much for the head's up on this. I've been wanting to hear this since it came out!!!

Absolutely!  Thanks!

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: December 03, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »

Does "You've Got A Friend In Me" remind anyone else of Love You?

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: December 10, 2011, 12:59:07 PM »

I don't think its as good as Reimagines Gershwin, but it had some very high moments on it.

My song grades from 1-10:

You've Got a Friend in Me - 4
The Bare Necessities - 6
Baby Mine - 7
Kiss the Girl - 6
Colors of the Wind - 8
Can You Feel the Love Tonight - 7
We Belong Together - 6
I Just Can't Wait to Be King - 5
Stay Awake - 10
Heigh-Ho - 6
When You Wish Upon a Star - 8

Overall - 6.6

I don't think there is anything really bad on this album. I didn't know all the original songs from Gershwin or Disney, but I know inspiration when I hear it. Brian and his band do a very good job making these songs their own. I have been very happy with BWPS, TLOS, BWRG and KOD!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: December 10, 2011, 02:22:45 PM »

I'd really push up Baby Mine (love the stuttering drum thing), Kiss the Girl and Heigh-Ho in that list. But the general direction of your thoughts mirror mine.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx