gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681514 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 02:47:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In The Key Of Disney  (Read 137038 times)
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: October 26, 2011, 05:17:52 AM »

once again  Amazon.com condones mp3 piracy...

Living in Canada, the only way I can get a copy of the track "Peace on Earth" is if I rely on the kindness of others.

I'm Perplexed, but don't see another solution to hearing this track.

Must be real poor planning by someone?

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #776 on: October 26, 2011, 06:42:56 AM »

GIOMH

Don't Worry Baby (with Wendy and Carnie -- has it ever been established where this track came from or why it was made?)

I'd really love to hear this.
On the german message board we made a two CD collection of all of Brian's officially released songs during his solo carreer that didn't appear as part of an album. No christmas songs, no duets, no live versions, etc. Nice listen but still shows that he could use some Beach Boys magic. And since then there are already 3-4 songs for vol. 3 I believe

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: October 26, 2011, 10:27:01 AM »

If you are at all on the fence about buying In the Key of Disney, go Immediately to your nearest record outlet (whatever that may be) and BUY IT IMMEDIATELY.  RIGHT AWAY!!! I have been spinning it since Monday and my socks are officially knocked off!  WOW this is one gorgeous GORGEOUS set of songs.

Did I say it's gorgeous?

Brian is in fine voice throughout; the vocal and instrumental arrangements have a beautiful, GORGEOUS richness.  This is some of the most beautiful singing Brian has ever done, period.  And the band: INCREDIBLE!

There are two Randy Newman songs and two by Elton John; the opener "You've Got a Friend in Me" by Newman is a strong, rocking track. Love it!  The perfect album opener.  Also "We Belong Together" is VERY nice.

The take of "Bare Necessities" uses banjo and marimba, and is a complete riot. Also, the humorous version of "Heigh Ho/Whistle While You Work/Yo Ho" is FUNNY. A riot!

The ballad “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” is so, so beautiful.

All the vocal and instrumental arrangements have just a beautiful richness. There is simply no one else today doing pop music like this.

This is one NICE album. Did I say it's gorgeous? IT IS! It doesn't take itself too seriously, but what a beautiful, beautiful sound.

WOW

That's all I can say before I go spin it again.

Hey: I’d love to hear a “Wilson Does Newman” LP.  How about it?

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #778 on: October 26, 2011, 10:55:44 AM »

I want to hear another album of Wilson originals.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: October 26, 2011, 11:02:43 AM »

How about Wilson-Thomas-Foskett co-writes?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: October 26, 2011, 11:04:53 AM »

How about Wilson-Thomas-Foskett co-writes?
Yikes, keep Brian away from Joe Thomas!!! I'm okay if he writes with Jeff or anybody else in his band. Heck, write with Mike Love for a reunion album before Joe Thomas.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:06:47 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: October 26, 2011, 11:36:13 AM »

I want to hear another album of Wilson originals.

I know I said in my initial review of this album I wanted Wilson originals, but I would be 100% in favor of a "Wilson Does Newman." Being a Brian Wilson fan turned me on to Randy Newman, and I'm so glad it did, because I love his stuff. I would love to hear BW versions of things like Suzanne or Naked Man.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:40:05 PM by hart325 » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: October 26, 2011, 12:38:50 PM »

Yikes, keep Brian away from Joe Thomas!!! I'm okay if he writes with Jeff or anybody else in his band. Heck, write with Mike Love for a reunion album before Joe Thomas.

He's already working with him. According to a BBC interview in another thread, he is putting his new album together "with my friend Joe" and Jeff. Songs have been written and recorded. Brian worked in a studio with Joe in Illinois recently, and some of the "Imagination" backing musicians have played on the tracks.

It's real.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: October 26, 2011, 01:00:27 PM »

He's already working with him. According to a BBC interview in another thread, he is putting his new album together "with my friend Joe" and Jeff. Songs have been written and recorded. Brian worked in a studio with Joe in Illinois recently, and some of the "Imagination" backing musicians have played on the tracks.

It's real.
Imagination Vol. 2 is coming out.... Shocked

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: October 26, 2011, 01:02:52 PM »

Time will tell if it's a full album or just some tracks for one. I would hope the latter ... but we will see.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: October 26, 2011, 01:20:42 PM »

It's real.

that would be cool because Imagination is what turned me on to Brian and (later) the Beach Boys....... no kidding!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: October 26, 2011, 01:22:02 PM »

It's real.

that would be cool because Imagination is what turned me on to Brian and (later) the Beach Boys....... no kidding!

Are you Joe Thomas? Grin

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 26, 2011, 01:33:38 PM »

It's real.

Oh wow... I'd much rather see him team with Andy Paley again.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: October 26, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »

It's real.

Are you Joe Thomas? Grin

ha ha ha, why no, I'm not!

But in 1998 my wife bought "Brian Wilson's Imagination".  This was a time when I didn't know Brian Wilson from Carl Wilson from Dennis Wilson from Mr. Wilson........

But after hearing songs like "Lay Down Burden", "Cry", "Imagination", "She Said That She Needs Me", "Happy Days" etc.  I was profoundly, profoundly moved and affected.

So I asked my wife, "Why does this sound so much like the Beach Boys?" She answered, "Brian Wilson was the Beach Boys."

Years later, I now have a couple of shelves full of Brian Wilson and Beach Boys CDs and books and have seen The Man himself in concert many a time.

Grin

P.S. In The Key Of Disney is out there DON'T MISS IT!

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: October 26, 2011, 04:27:57 PM »

Recent JT sighting:

http://www.avclub.com/chicago/articles/soundstage,25355/

He has done well for himself ...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: October 26, 2011, 04:29:02 PM »

The waterfall mullet is gone.... LOL

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: October 26, 2011, 08:12:03 PM »

Just got the disney cd + Hollies dvd..Enjoyed them both alot..Bw + Disney is Delicate.. Dont know how to describe it..And NO Taylor Mills..HUH..?.... If ya like BB you should check out the new Hollies DVD..!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 26, 2011, 08:44:57 PM »

Delicate is the exact word I used to describe it.  I listened to it some more today.  "Baby Mine" is a great song.  Was this sung by Dumbo's mom?  I haven't seen that movie in 20 years, I'll have to watch it again.  Beautiful vocal again by Brian.

This is really similar to "Love and Mercy", it has that strange vibe Brian gets sometimes.  He has this ability to sing sad music, beautiful music, with a detached, optimistic 'smile'.  Pun intended.  Like "Can you Feel The Love tonight".  He never quite sounds like he's attached to the song!  It's some of the most beautiful stuff he's done, somehow, though.  I can't put my finger on it.

He did it in "Love and Mercy'.  Horribly sad song (in the verses) but he has this happy sound the entire time, like he's just commenting on something and not feeling it.  When he goes "Hey Ay!" after the vocal breakdown near the end, it sums it up entirely. 

He's still a phenomenal talent.  Such a unique way of singing, and I really, really dig this understated, reserved Brian that's on this album.  Some of the little notes he hits on like "Bare Necessities" are just so sweet and beautiful, I can't believe he's vocally where he is at this point in his career. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #793 on: October 27, 2011, 12:41:27 AM »

Recent JT sighting:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... anyone else thinking what I'm thinking ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 27, 2011, 12:42:59 AM »

I thought that this review (in Dutch) was reasonable, until I read the last part.  Roll Eyes
http://www.nu.nl/cd-recensies/2651943/brian-wilson--in-the-key-of-disney.html

Translated:
It would have been nice if Wilson, as a wink to his former band, would have put 'Disney Girls (1957)' on the album, even if he had nothing to do with the song. Unfortionately, nothing on In The Key Of Disney is as touching as that masterpiece by Bruce Johnston.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: October 27, 2011, 07:05:38 PM »

It would have been nice if Wilson, as a wink to his former band, would have put 'Disney Girls (1957)' on the album, even if he had nothing to do with the song. Unfortionately, nothing on In The Key Of Disney is as touching as that masterpiece by Bruce Johnston.

That is hilarious.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 27, 2011, 07:07:37 PM »

Recent JT sighting:

No facial hair

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: October 27, 2011, 07:51:04 PM »

The album should be called BW In The Key Of Contractual Obligtion To The Evil Mouse. I`m half kidding. Haven`t actually heard anything beyond Hi Ho so I can neither complain about nor gush over the music itself...I guess I`d just rather hear Brian do a whole album of endless Shortening Bread and Ding Dang variations.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 27, 2011, 08:06:35 PM »

More new work news from a pretty terse interview over at The Gothamist.

Do you write a lot on a day-to-day basis? Do the songs pour out ever?

I've been having a creative explosion lately, I really have. Just lately. I've written some good songs.

What are they about?

Well, some of them are about shelter, some are about the private life of Bill and Sue. Different kinds of songs.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #799 on: October 27, 2011, 08:27:44 PM »

Recent JT sighting:

"Imagination Volume Two?! Ahhhhh....can't take it....it must be stopped!!!!"

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx