gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681510 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 05:06:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In The Key Of Disney  (Read 136964 times)
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #650 on: September 23, 2011, 12:42:52 PM »

Yeah, I'm mean. The world is mean. Get used to it.

Here we have a place called "The Sandbox" for people who feel impelled to spout OT drivel and disrupt threads. Someone elected not to use it, was warned, ignored that, got his ass banned. I say, good.

As for the Hitler comparison, if you think I was being in any way serious, you don't know very much about me at all. Sometimes you must exaggerate to make a point.

So, I gather that, according to you, comparing a member of this forum to Hitler is ok even if it's not posted in the sandbox. I didn't know Hitler was "on topic". But you can be sure I'll remember that. By the way, I think you should go for a toothbrush moustache instead of a beard.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #651 on: September 23, 2011, 12:47:37 PM »

You keen on thinkin' Butch, that's what you're good at.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #652 on: September 23, 2011, 12:48:48 PM »

Props to you for the quality of this reply!

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #653 on: September 23, 2011, 12:49:41 PM »

It was a reference to ghost making Hitler comparisons as well.

sh*t, can we just chill out on all the fucking negativity for one damn second at least? I just got some terrible news and this is the last thing I want to deal with.

Everybody just chill out.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: September 23, 2011, 01:01:23 PM »

The thing about Ghost is that the cycle is always the same. Somebody just wants to come here, post their thoughts, have some fun, participate in the community, but then some posters decide that he's "annoying" or "boring" or some other thinly veiled way of just saying they outright don't like the guy. So then those posters are rude, call him out, bully him, mock him whenever possible. In the eyes of somebody like Ghost, he doesn't see himself as some instigator, he's not trying to start sh*t with anyone here, he's just having a bit of fun, but then he turns around and realizes half of the members hate him, so he gets frustrated and tries to defend himself, says something he shouldn't have, which just becomes all the justification anyone needs to further bitch him out. As a result we just get to have tired repetitive discussions about whatever the latest drama is, and the whole forum gets bogged down.
Why is it so hard to just leave some things alone? Why do some posters here feel that they have a right to lord over all discussion, decide what topics are interesting and what ones aren't, what posts are entertaining and which ones are boring. Why does discussion always have to conform to the preferences of certain posters here, and why do we constantly need to repeat this cycle? I thought Ghost was stupid. If I would have let him, he would have just annoyed me, but I just didn't go in his reads, I didn't really read his posts, and I ended up hardly even noticing he was here. Why is this so hard for some people to do? Some of you act like there's a finite supply of posts, and that we have to be careful to not use them all up on uninteresting topics.
From what I did read of Ghost he seemed like just some lonely teenager who was ousted by a bunch of middle aged bullys that take their beach boys message board too seriously. If you would have just left him alone he probably would have gotten bored and moved on.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 01:04:00 PM by Fishmonk » Logged

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: September 23, 2011, 01:16:29 PM »

May I suggest to talk about In The Key Of Disney in this topic?

More after-talk about ghost should be continued in the Sandbox.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: September 23, 2011, 02:09:36 PM »

Sorry, I thought my comment was too ridiculous to be taken seriously.
it was hard to tell
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 02:10:29 PM by freshenin air » Logged
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: September 23, 2011, 02:10:35 PM »

I've downloaded three of the tunes so I don't ruin it for myself.. and all 3 were great.
I'm very much looking forward to this release.  Glad it comes before SMiLE so it gets at
least a week of my attention..  But it should have probably come out in August/Sept instead.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 23, 2011, 03:39:22 PM »

You know, "Key of Disney", in its entirety, is obviously out there and up for grabs even before its offered for sale. And the tracks can all be heard on YouTube.

There are those who will buy this CD anyway (or download it through the legal channels) and there are others, who after listening to it, will change their minds and decide not to buy it and just hang onto their bootlegged download copy.

Just an observation. Wow, have times changed. Options and choices. Though obviously not their intention, but it's almost like those 'bonus' Christmas tracks that Brian offered for free on his web site a few years ago.....
Even though I am not overly thrilled with the newer Disney songs used on the new CD, I will still buy it on release day. Never do I want Brian ever to become a pauper. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: September 23, 2011, 03:55:56 PM »

I'm curious to see if the released CD sounds significantly different than the mp3s. There have been times when things leaked that the final product sounded quite a bit better (TLOS), and times when it was roughly the same (BWRG).
rogerlancelot
« Reply #660 on: September 23, 2011, 09:45:48 PM »

Interesting. The first night it leaked, it was nobody/so cold i go burr/summerinparadise.flac/ghost who sent me the link in the first place. We actually became chummy over the last few months via private messages leading to exchanging e-mails. That guy is seriously a card!

Love the new Disney album. And I'll be buying several copies for Xmas presents this holiday season. Highlights for me are "Baby Mine", "Color Of The Wind" and "When You Wish Upon A Side Of Beef...err...Star".
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: September 23, 2011, 10:22:03 PM »

The more I listen the more this album reminds me of "Imagination"

Funny -- some folks on another board have been saying similar things. And it's easy to forget that Brian's current band has had several folks from the Imagination sessions as crucial members from the beginning. Scott Bennett and Mertens are both on that record -- Mertens is on quite a lot, too. Original BW band drummer Todd Sucherman was all over Imagination as well.

So I guess my point is that Imagination was actually a starting point for this band in some ways. And it's not like the Wondermints were ever a grunge-y, punky outfit, either.

-----

It also gets exhausting to deal with this whole BW and puppetmaster Melinda thing -- the griping has gone on for more than 10 years now. It's borderline chauvinistic. It's BW's choice and his life. He picks strong people to surround himself with so he doesn't have to make the tough calls or unpleasant decisions. It means no one ever holds him accountable. If folks don't like this album -- and I'm sure a lot of people don't and won't -- let's blame Brian, not his band or his management or wife. His name is on it. He's responsible.

I agree 100%.  When they bring up Melinda, what they are ignoring is the FACT that many, many old men have women running their lives!  i'm not complaining.  I'm just saying, if you say Brian's wife tells him what to do, yeah, that might be true but lots of old men have wives telling them what to do.  Thank god he's got somebody like Melinda whom I have no doubt loves him more than anybody on earth does, and is willing to put up with the mess that is Brian Wilson.  He's been fortunate to have a loving mother in his life, a loving first wife, and now a loving second wife.  Brian did pretty good with women in his life. 
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: September 23, 2011, 10:30:58 PM »

You know, "Key of Disney", in its entirety, is obviously out there and up for grabs even before its offered for sale. And the tracks can all be heard on YouTube.There are those who will buy this CD anyway (or download it through the legal channels) and there are others, who after listening to it, will change their minds and decide not to buy it and just hang onto their bootlegged download copy.

Just an observation. Wow, have times changed. Options and choices. Though obviously not their intention, but it's almost like those 'bonus' Christmas tracks that Brian offered for free on his web site a few years ago.....
Even though I am not overly thrilled with the newer Disney songs used on the new CD, I will still buy it on release day. Never do I want Brian ever to become a pauper. Wink

Yeah, same here.   And I have a feeling that the Mp3's we're hearing now are the finished product.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: September 23, 2011, 10:43:55 PM »

Am I the only one who likes Brian's later voice? I wish he would stop trying to sound like he was 18 again.

Yeah, I like his older voice.  "Someone to Watch over Me" on the Gershwin album was fucking fantastic.  I haven't heard any of the new album though, i'm waiting on it.

Brian has moments of clarity where he talks about things like this.  For instance famously he liked his gravely voice in the 70's and said that he couldn't stand the sound of his falsetto voice from the 60's.  I'm not saying I agree with that but it shows that Brian doesn't always just try to relive the 60's.

Also a few years ago when everybody was bitching and moaning about his voice on the christmas songs he was releasing on his website, he made a few comments about how he felt he had a very nice voice for his age. 

So I think sometimes Brian sees things pretty clearly.  On "Someone to Watch Over Me", he has an incredible (for him) amount of sincerity and emotion in his voice.  It's not oversung, and it's just beautifully sung.  He must have been having a good day when he recorded that vocal, it sounds so honest and sincere I can't believe it's from Brian Wilson. 

From the sound of these reviews, there may be some of that on this new album, I can't wait!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #664 on: September 23, 2011, 11:17:57 PM »

That was my favorite vocal on the BWRG album, and IMHO many of his vocals on the new Disney album are in that exact same style.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: September 24, 2011, 12:21:00 AM »

The thing about Ghost is that the cycle is always the same. Somebody just wants to come here, post their thoughts, have some fun, participate in the community, but then some posters decide that he's "annoying" or "boring" or some other thinly veiled way of just saying they outright don't like the guy. So then those posters are rude, call him out, bully him, mock him whenever possible. In the eyes of somebody like Ghost, he doesn't see himself as some instigator, he's not trying to start sh*t with anyone here, he's just having a bit of fun, but then he turns around and realizes half of the members hate him, so he gets frustrated and tries to defend himself, says something he shouldn't have, which just becomes all the justification anyone needs to further bitch him out. As a result we just get to have tired repetitive discussions about whatever the latest drama is, and the whole forum gets bogged down.
Why is it so hard to just leave some things alone? Why do some posters here feel that they have a right to lord over all discussion, decide what topics are interesting and what ones aren't, what posts are entertaining and which ones are boring. Why does discussion always have to conform to the preferences of certain posters here, and why do we constantly need to repeat this cycle? I thought Ghost was stupid. If I would have let him, he would have just annoyed me, but I just didn't go in his reads, I didn't really read his posts, and I ended up hardly even noticing he was here. Why is this so hard for some people to do? Some of you act like there's a finite supply of posts, and that we have to be careful to not use them all up on uninteresting topics.
From what I did read of Ghost he seemed like just some lonely teenager who was ousted by a bunch of middle aged bullys that take their beach boys message board too seriously. If you would have just left him alone he probably would have gotten bored and moved on.

OK you admit you never read most of Ghost's posts, so I'll assume you missed the part where he made AIDS references to Wirestone? I liked Ghost but that was way out of line. He had to go.

Token on topic question ~
If someone had bought BWRG over a year ago only to play it 3 times since, should they bother to stump up for the Disney album?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #666 on: September 24, 2011, 01:34:38 AM »

Token on topic question ~
If someone had bought BWRG over a year ago only to play it 3 times since, should they bother to stump up for the Disney album?
[/quote]

Yes. Even though I would have never believed it, it is a steady grower. After you get past the 3 times mark you'll want to hear it again and again.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #667 on: September 24, 2011, 01:53:59 AM »

Don't want to start an other argument, but if Ghost has been banned I'd like to go on record that, for the reasons outlined very eloquently by Fishmonk above, its a real shame.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: September 24, 2011, 07:07:01 AM »

I'm curious to see if the released CD sounds significantly different than the mp3s. There have been times when things leaked that the final product sounded quite a bit better (TLOS), and times when it was roughly the same (BWRG).

It was only TLOS demos that leaked though wasn't it?

And I didn't realise BWRG leaked!

I'm being real good, having not listened to any of the Facebook Smile stuff or the Disney stuff this week...next month should be fun Smiley

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: September 24, 2011, 08:21:13 AM »

OK you admit you never read most of Ghost's posts, so I'll assume you missed the part where he made AIDS references to Wirestone?
i don't think that was intentional

i was hoping the discussion would move to this thread so that this one could safely stay about ITKOD http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11116.msg214610.html
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: September 24, 2011, 08:42:11 AM »

It was only TLOS demos that leaked though wasn't it? And I didn't realise BWRG leaked!

The Gerschwin CD leaked two or three weeks prior to the legit release.  The released CD was no different than the 'audition' download.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: September 24, 2011, 08:50:48 AM »

Don't want to start an other argument, but if Ghost has been banned I'd like to go on record that, for the reasons outlined very eloquently by Fishmonk above, its a real shame.
Honestly, why do people feel that they can say or do whatever they want in here? The Mods asked him to comply to a request, and he ignored them. Nobody asked him to stop, just to tone down. I for one thought he was funny some of the time, but he crapped up almost every thread in here. Being funny is knowing when to be funny.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: September 24, 2011, 08:59:14 AM »

Since BWPS, but excepting GIOMH, every album has seen an improvement in Brian's singing voice. Whoever he is working with, he/she has done a wonderful job of smoothing is vocals and toning down the shrillness when singing in a higher register. I just wish Brian would have worked harder on the lead vocal of Midnight's Another Day. A lovely song with just a so-so lead vocal.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 09:45:03 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: September 24, 2011, 09:35:24 AM »

The demo lead for MAD is stunning. Brian's best lead on one of his own tunes for ages.

But somehow it got messed up in the regular CD -- which is odd, because so many of BW's CD vox were flown in from the demos. But it doesn't sound as good, for whatever reason.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #674 on: September 24, 2011, 10:15:01 AM »

The demo lead for MAD is stunning. Brian's best lead on one of his own tunes for ages.

But somehow it got messed up in the regular CD -- which is odd, because so many of BW's CD vox were flown in from the demos. But it doesn't sound as good, for whatever reason.

The demo vocal was flown into the studio version of "MAD", but Brian recut a small section.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 35 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx