gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 10:51:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In The Key Of Disney  (Read 137007 times)
ghost
« Reply #400 on: September 20, 2011, 12:37:03 PM »

Boring is good sometimes, if you want the kids to fall asleep...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 20, 2011, 12:38:29 PM »

It's an album the requires a few listens to feel the magic..

After my first listen I was like, "meh", Now I can't stop listening

Some pop gems and nice ballads

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 20, 2011, 12:40:23 PM »

WORLD: How did you become a Christian?
JF: When I was 14, I was a junior leader at a YMCA camp, and the senior leader was a Christian. She turned me on to Christ. She said, “I want to see you in heaven when it’s time. I want you to accept Christ into your life.” I said, “What do I do?” She said, “You get down on your knees and you ask Jesus to be your Lord and Savior.” So I did.

So no, like, reading up on the teachings of Christ, or comparing the philosophies of the various religions? Just, "This counselor at camp told me to accept Christ or I wouldn't get into heaven, so I did." Well anyway, I think Jeff's voice is okay, but it lacks the warmth that Brian's used to have. But not many falsettos have that warmth anyway.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 20, 2011, 12:45:52 PM »

It's an album the requires a few listens to feel the magic..

After my first listen I was like, "meh", Now I can't stop listening

Some pop gems and nice ballads

That's how I feel. The first listen was sort of a let-down, especially since people here were praising it. Then I listened again and really enjoyed it. I don't get why some people are saying they were hoping it would be experimental, or Smile-like. What percentage of BW's music is experimental? Smile, Pet Sounds, and Love You. He also did a lot of non-experimental stuff. He was grounded in the idea of sounding commercial, and he made a lot of commercial music. Music with interesting chords and some unusual instruments, but basically commercial (yet beautiful) music. Not avant garde.
ghost
« Reply #404 on: September 20, 2011, 12:47:19 PM »

Brian did a lot more "experimental" music than just Pet Sounds, Smile, Love You.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: September 20, 2011, 12:48:03 PM »

I was expecting at least a little more than paint-by-numbers Brian Wilson. I agree with whoever said this album certainly sounds like the one made after the album he really wanted to make! I'll listen again though when I get back from work or tomorrow though and see if any of it grows on me...
ghost
« Reply #406 on: September 20, 2011, 12:50:57 PM »

I've listened to this thing like 5000 times and it still hasn't given me even half the excitement I felt for the Gershwin album which had some good moments that I liked [Love is here to stay, Someone to watch over me, Nothing but love, Ain't necessarily so, etc...]
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 20, 2011, 12:55:32 PM »

There is no way Pet Sounds is experimental. The songs and approach are pre-rock pop in nature. That certainly made it an unusual departure for a rock band, but Frank Sinatra had been doing lushly orchestrated concept albums for years before PS.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 20, 2011, 12:57:50 PM »

There is no way Pet Sounds is experimental. The songs and approach are pre-rock pop in nature. That certainly made it an unusual departure for a rock band, but Frank Sinatra had been doing lushly orchestrated concept albums for years before PS.

That occurred to me, but then I thought someone would say, "What about Pet Sounds? Barking dogs? Train?" I guess parts of Friends are more experimental than PS. But the point is that Brian's music is not all experimental. And he only made Smile once. Sort of.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 20, 2011, 01:02:48 PM »

I actually agree with you on your main point, Amy. Brian has made precious little music that could truly be considered "experimental." Parts of Smile, and a few modular compositions afterward. And that's pretty much it.

Doesn't mean he's not a genius or a talented guy. And he has certainly added a lot of eccentric or unusual touches to his music through the years. But his genius is more in the creation and extension of a personal sound and songwriting approach that has endured for decades -- and become massively popular.

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 20, 2011, 02:38:10 PM »

Some great moments on this album. Brings back a lot of memories of movies I used to watch on VHS back in the 90s when I was but a young child

No mas, por favor.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 20, 2011, 02:48:13 PM »

I never realized how deep that Pocahontas song is until I heard Brian Wilson sing it. Cool Guy

No mas, por favor.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 20, 2011, 06:48:21 PM »

Beautiful, beautiful album..

I officially love it

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 20, 2011, 06:49:51 PM »

I just realized something,how many people think that "You've got a friend in me" kind of sounds like "What a fool believes" especially the keyboard part and the tempo...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: September 20, 2011, 07:41:59 PM »

My 4 year old daughter's favorite movie of all time is Little Mermaid. So, I couldn't wait to get her reaction to 'Kiss the Girl'. Well...let's just say I have heard that song on repeat for the past 30 minutes. LOL

Classic...when I finally got her to 'allow' me to put on a different song, she then asked me "Daddy....did Sebastian take singing lessons"?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 20, 2011, 08:01:10 PM »

Something about BW's version of that song actually chokes me up a little bit. Not sure why. Just something about how the re-created Wall of Sound meshes with the "Sha-la-la-la-la-la" and the chord changes. It's not like it's re-composed by Brian or anything, but its still profound in its way.

I really wonder what Alan Menken thinks of this ...
smokeythebear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 21, 2011, 12:56:55 AM »

Something about BW's version of that song actually chokes me up a little bit. Not sure why. Just something about how the re-created Wall of Sound meshes with the "Sha-la-la-la-la-la" and the chord changes. It's not like it's re-composed by Brian or anything, but its still profound in its way.

Anyone else think of the "Hes a doll" intro when the guitar and bass comes in?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: September 21, 2011, 01:36:52 AM »

Anyone else think of the "Hes a doll" intro when the guitar and bass comes in?

No, but my daughter started singing "I want Candy" during the intro to "I Just can't wait to be king" :D

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #418 on: September 21, 2011, 01:42:37 AM »

wow, such an earlier understanding of the Bo Diddley beat. It took me til I was at least 10 to hear "I Want Candy" in the intro to other songs.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: September 21, 2011, 02:00:07 AM »

It must be pointed out that since my wife & I are children of the 80s and I have burned countless 80s mix cds, Jaymie likely picked it up from hearing us play the Bow Wow Wow version LOL
That said, I think she might be a prodigy of sorts. Usually when any of us are singing, she's very quick to pick a harmony part.

Nicko1234
« Reply #420 on: September 21, 2011, 05:24:15 AM »

My response to this album is that it's...fine. Not much more that can be said. The covers are all professionally done and the vocals are certainly a million times better than past abominations like GIOMH and Speed Turtle. But nothing stands out to me about any of the songs and these versions could have been recorded by anyone. Not an album I would be in a hurry to listen to again really.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 21, 2011, 05:30:19 AM »

Yup, somewhat under-awed overall. Always great to hear Brian's voice on anything but I think I prefer GIOMH to this – at least it contains some good, characteristic original Wilson compositions. Won't scrub my orders (plural) but won't be playing this one too often me thinks.

“We live in divisive times.”
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 21, 2011, 05:39:48 AM »

stay awake sounds like it would have been a great time for "old man river" or "and your dream comes true" harmonies, i'd assume they didn't though
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 05:42:04 AM by Runaways » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #423 on: September 21, 2011, 05:56:17 AM »

stay awake sounds like it would have been a great time for "old man river" or "and your dream comes true" harmonies, i'd assume they didn't though

No, It has the usual backing vocals but Brian's solo vocal dominates it.
smokeythebear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 21, 2011, 06:19:51 AM »

Now it hit me what is missing in this record, at least the version i heard, Dynamics. So lets hope for a better mix when this comes out officially.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 35 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx