gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:01:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In The Key Of Disney  (Read 134490 times)
ghost
« Reply #375 on: September 20, 2011, 09:12:23 AM »

I recognize Jeff's talents - his laugh in Heigh Ho, on the BWPS DVD in his Blue shirt like Brian playing the ukelele, great physical humor for such a rotund man like Jeff to be playing that, and his enormous presence is amusing to behold sometimes.

However anyone see the tension in his aging? I notice this in a lot of people who have lived sober lives without finding an appropriate alternative ecstasy [internal alchemy], they just freeze and become static, their living essence becomes just the mask role they play, they lose all contact with real life, the birds that chatter in the trees and then die the next day, reality, the great mystery, the wondrous unreality mirage mentality.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: September 20, 2011, 09:14:13 AM »

It amuses me that people are complaining about lots of harmony vocals and falsettos ....

On a Brian Wilson record!

I mean, what did you think was going to be on there?

Okay, maybe this is an extreme example, but just because you like theremin (which, as a Beach Boys fan, I'm assuming you do), doesn't mean you like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVSOttziWtg

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 20, 2011, 09:16:40 AM »

Does Ghost dislike Jeff or something? I don't really have a problem with him or his vocals, but maybe after 50 more posts or so on the subject I'll come around.

Haha, I have nothing against the guy himself, you know personally or whatever, I don't know him, he doesn't know me, thank god (both ways), but it just seems to me that Brian should be chillin' with people like Danny Hutton on tour and not Jeff. Let Brian go to the bar for a few drinks with Danny and play some Roses and Rainbows for everybody. Why does he have to hang out with Jeff? Jeff reminds me of my half uncle who is a fanatical Christian republican nightmare of an ego to be around. I think Brian's music would change a LOT without Jeff. He's a safety pillow though for Brian and many of you too so you will find this post in bad taste.
Well, it's one thing to not like Jeff's voice, but it's another to judge his character. Also, do you think maybe Danny Hutton is out on his own tour? Just because Jeff looks out for Brian on tour, doesn't mean his politics are right wing, for we all we know he may be a left wing radical. Can we stick to just discussing the music? Please!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 20, 2011, 09:28:51 AM »

I think Brian's music would change a LOT without Jeff.

Well, except for the fact that Jeff has had almost _nothing_ to do with the writing or arranging of Brian's solo records. The three people Brian has worked with in his band are Darian (sequencing for BWPS and TLOS), Scott Bennett (tracking and lyrics on GIOMH, co-writer on TLOS and Gershwin) and Paul Von Mertens (orchestral arranging on almost all the records).

Getting rid of those three would change the sound much more substantially. And possibly reduce the number of sax solos.

Just because Jeff looks out for Brian on tour, doesn't mean his politics are right wing, for we all we know he may be a left wing radical.

I believe Jeff is an evangelical Christian: http://www.worldmag.com/articles/10225. No idea if it affects his politics.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 09:32:00 AM by Wirestone » Logged
ghost
« Reply #379 on: September 20, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »

Does Ghost dislike Jeff or something? I don't really have a problem with him or his vocals, but maybe after 50 more posts or so on the subject I'll come around.

Haha, I have nothing against the guy himself, you know personally or whatever, I don't know him, he doesn't know me, thank god (both ways), but it just seems to me that Brian should be chillin' with people like Danny Hutton on tour and not Jeff. Let Brian go to the bar for a few drinks with Danny and play some Roses and Rainbows for everybody. Why does he have to hang out with Jeff? Jeff reminds me of my half uncle who is a fanatical Christian republican nightmare of an ego to be around. I think Brian's music would change a LOT without Jeff. He's a safety pillow though for Brian and many of you too so you will find this post in bad taste.
Well, it's one thing to not like Jeff's voice, but it's another to judge his character. Also, do you think maybe Danny Hutton is out on his own tour? Just because Jeff looks out for Brian on tour, doesn't mean his politics are right wing, for we all we know he may be a left wing radical. Can we stick to just discussing the music? Please!

The music overflows into other areas of discussion, man. Where you gonna draw the dividing line?

Wirestone- Jeff doesn't do any arranging or writing but he saturates what is recorded or performed live with his sound.
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 20, 2011, 09:41:45 AM »

I don't think its Jeff's voice persay, I think its the parts he sings, and I have a theory why.  Brian arranges all these backing vocals.  But the one part of the backing vocals he probably didn't fully think out in the 60s when he learned to arrange backing vocals was his own part, which he'd just sing. And so now, mirroring the way he always worked, Brian probably gives everyone their parts and then tells Jeff to "sing a falsetto."  And because Jeff isn't Brian, it comes out good but not spectacular. 

Just a theory. 

Anyway, I love the album.  Kiss the Girl is weirdly spectacular - yet another reminder that Brian should get around to that rock n roll album.  Baby Mine is gorgeous.  Hi/Ho is hilarious.  I have a feeling this album would go over super well with a 7 or 8 year old, which was, I believe, the point.  I can just imagine my 8 year old self making my parents play "kiss the girl" over and over while I jump around the living room. 

That said, at this point I just can't wait to hear this new-found voice and arranging and production flair applied to some new songs.  But its an embarrassment of riches really, to be a Beach Boys fan in 2011 :-)
ghost
« Reply #381 on: September 20, 2011, 09:43:39 AM »

Man, a lot of 7 & 8 year olds of today's world are way too hip for Brian Wilson.

I wish I was joking, too...

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 20, 2011, 09:49:31 AM »

Anyway, I love the album.  Kiss the Girl is weirdly spectacular - yet another reminder that Brian should get around to that rock n roll album.

Yes.
theCOD
« Reply #383 on: September 20, 2011, 09:51:26 AM »

Brian is in the coasting phase of his career, and Jeff is a professional coaster. I'm sure most of us would like to see Brian put out another Love You, but that's probably not going to happen. The bright side is people like Jeff will help Brian stick around long enough to put out another TLOS, or maybe even a BW88.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 20, 2011, 09:51:51 AM »

Any songs from Pinnochio Make the cut?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 20, 2011, 09:55:55 AM »

When You Wish Upon a Star ...
ghost
« Reply #386 on: September 20, 2011, 10:02:23 AM »

BW88 was the meeting of Brains & Genius. It will never be topped. Not every song makes the cut but those that do, do.
ghost
« Reply #387 on: September 20, 2011, 10:09:02 AM »

Here's why you're wrong
theCOD
« Reply #388 on: September 20, 2011, 10:17:12 AM »

C'mon, don't pull the AGD card on me.
ghost
« Reply #389 on: September 20, 2011, 10:33:19 AM »

C'mon, don't pull the AGD card on me.

Oh that wasn't directed at you I just saw the picture and thought it was very amusing with the quote. It's on AGD's facebook so I assume he doesn't mind it being posted... too much. He looks much younger there than his earcandy picture, trying to win some ladies? How come you're not married AGD? Don't you like girls?
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: September 20, 2011, 10:34:43 AM »

Just not Katie Perry  Evil

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 20, 2011, 11:18:26 AM »

Brian is backstage before another greatest hits concert, sitting there passively while Jeff tells him "funny" story after "funny" story. Finally, Jeff gets up to go to bathroom. Enter Ghost, stage left.

Ghost: Brian, look behind you. It's me. Ghost.
Brian: A ghost?!? Are you telling me you're really a ghost?
Ghost: No, Brian. Forget about that. Check this out... I got the burgers.
Brian's eyes light up.
Ghost: I got the fries.
Brian starts salivating.
Ghost: And check it out, man... I even got the cocaine! Why don't you forget about Jeff and this creepy oldies show and come with me? I got an organ with your name on it. C'mon, you're Brian, psychedelic genius. You should be making art, not this sh*t.
Brian: Gee Mr. Ghost, I dunno...
Ghost waggles the bags teasingly.
Ghost: Briiiiian?
Brian: Oh alright... let's get the hell out of here.
Jeff reenters stage right as Ghost and Brain sprint off the stage.
Jeff: Brian! Hey! Where are you going? We still haven't done our pre-show prayer session and bible study!

ghost
« Reply #392 on: September 20, 2011, 11:51:47 AM »

WORLD: How did you become a Christian?

JF: When I was 14, I was a junior leader at a YMCA camp, and the senior leader was a Christian. She turned me on to Christ. She said, “I want to see you in heaven when it’s time. I want you to accept Christ into your life.” I said, “What do I do?” She said, “You get down on your knees and you ask Jesus to be your Lord and Savior.” So I did. I said, “I don’t feel any different.” She said, “You will” (laughs). God has literally guided my life ever since.

WORLD: Did your being a Christian ever make you think twice about performing with a group as immersed in the rock ‘n’ roll lifestyle as the Beach Boys were in 1980?

JF: No, because, quite frankly, I was hired because I was straight. In those days, the Beach Boys weren’t exactly the most clean and sober organization. Michael and Alan [Jardine] were totally straight, but the other guys basically weren’t. So they needed somebody like me who was responsible, who would show up for gigs, and who could sing and play guitar.

Translation: I was hired as a sobriety thug to keep Brian Wilson from accessing the keys to his creative genius.

SG7
« Reply #393 on: September 20, 2011, 11:57:50 AM »

It amuses me that people are complaining about lots of harmony vocals and falsettos ....

On a Brian Wilson record!

I mean, what did you think was going to be on there?

Yoko Ono
SG7
« Reply #394 on: September 20, 2011, 11:59:45 AM »

WORLD: How did you become a Christian?

JF: When I was 14, I was a junior leader at a YMCA camp, and the senior leader was a Christian. She turned me on to Christ. She said, “I want to see you in heaven when it’s time. I want you to accept Christ into your life.” I said, “What do I do?” She said, “You get down on your knees and you ask Jesus to be your Lord and Savior.” So I did. I said, “I don’t feel any different.” She said, “You will” (laughs). God has literally guided my life ever since.

WORLD: Did your being a Christian ever make you think twice about performing with a group as immersed in the rock ‘n’ roll lifestyle as the Beach Boys were in 1980?

JF: No, because, quite frankly, I was hired because I was straight. In those days, the Beach Boys weren’t exactly the most clean and sober organization. Michael and Alan [Jardine] were totally straight, but the other guys basically weren’t. So they needed somebody like me who was responsible, who would show up for gigs, and who could sing and play guitar.

Translation: I was hired as a sobriety thug to keep Brian Wilson from accessing the keys to his creative genius.

I think God has some second thoughts about that  Roll Eyes
ghost
« Reply #395 on: September 20, 2011, 12:02:01 PM »

I think God has some second thoughts about that  Roll Eyes

about accepting Jeff into the fold? i bet  Evil
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: September 20, 2011, 12:14:15 PM »

Umm....Bruce?!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
ghost
« Reply #397 on: September 20, 2011, 12:18:56 PM »

Dude everyone knows Bruce is effeminate.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 20, 2011, 12:31:42 PM »

This album is mad boring thanks a lot guys for making me think it might have been otherwise. It is pretty funny though how every song ends with some organ drone and fade-out. Just in case we weren't aware that there's an organ on, like, every song!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 20, 2011, 12:34:16 PM »

Oh my god this is the weakest Bo Diddley beat I've ever heard -- and that should never be said about any Bo Diddley beat. Brian Wilson should be ashamed.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 35 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx