gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:29:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In The Key Of Disney  (Read 135147 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 19, 2011, 09:27:32 PM »

It pleases me very much to hear that people are saying good things about his vocals in the last few years.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 19, 2011, 09:29:58 PM »

REALLY enjoying the first half of the cd.  

The winner here for me is most definitely Kiss The Girl.  I have been repeating this tune for an hour as the chorus knocks me out!  I do not want to get too carried away with praise, but it is making the hair on the back of my neck stand up!  Sha la la la la la My oh My indeed.  While the only wall the mighty Phil Spector is currently creating is with his wig maker to look pretty for his cellmate, Brian is stacking the wall of sound a mile high with vocals, big drums, and castanets, and showing him who's boss.  Brian's vocals shine here.  I have already pre-ordered this cd and I can't wait to read the liners.  And Smile coming soon.  Beach Boys tickets in a couple weeks.  Saw Brian twice this summer.  What an embarrassment of riches.  
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 19, 2011, 10:31:31 PM »

Dang i wish i could hear these songs. I heard the Pochahontas.song on youtube and I quite liked it

No mas, por favor.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 19, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »

Leaked! Ouch! And what interesting timing...   Roll Eyes
I guess somebody shouldn't have trusted someone and gave him/her a copy of the album.
I'm assuming that somebody will be in serious troubles and that someone's ass will be seriously kicked.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: September 19, 2011, 11:57:03 PM »

maybe it was leaked this early on purpose. so the Beach Boys fans could spend some time listening to it before Smile comes out. marketing man. even leaks are part of marketing.

option 2 is that STE gave someone his press copy of the album and then that guy gave it to everyone else and now he's really bitter. I like the former option better though.

this is the closest you'll probably get to a drunk review from me, this is the "I passed out at 10 PM and woke up in the middle of the night" hangover review.

I love the Shortenin' Bread riff in "You've Got a Friend". I'm on track 2 right now. "Bare Necessities" sounds pretty cool too. I mean, I think Phil Harris sang it so much better, but I think what we have to consider is that this is a contractual obligation album. It's not so much why is he doing this but how.

I thought the drums at the beginning of "Baby Mine" were going to go into "Catch a Wave". Now, I can't picture the Disney version of this in my head. is this the version Dumbo's mother sings to him towards the beginning? I haven't heard/seen that movie in a really long time. So this is kind of boring. This is all just my first impression, opinions change.

The first 28 seconds of "Kiss the Girl" are extremely superfluous. I feel like Brian had very little to do with arranging this song. this song makes me sad for non-musical reasons, I probably won't be able to look at this properly for awhile.

before I start to say anything about "Colors of the Wind", let me just say I like this song more than any person should. I don't like the response vocals. I think in general this is way too slow. this song can really rock in the right hands. Brian's voice sounds very good though. The flute is way too prominent. "if you cut it down then you'll never know", one of the most awesome parts in the original, was completely ruined in this version.

"Can You Feel the Love Tonight". I never really liked the Elton John version, the version from the movie with the cast singing was better. but it makes a lot more sense for Brian to cover the Elton John radio version. too many backing vocals. I never thought I'd say that about a Brian Wilson album. maybe too many boring backing vocals, haha. "KINGS AND VAGABONDS", shouted, that would make a great backing vocal. woodblocks are cool but so very arbitrary. people sh*t on the arrangements on BW88 and Imagination so much, but at least they weren't ripping off Brian Wilson circa 1965 ripping off Phil Spector.

"We Belong Together", I don't remember this song. this damn arrangement though. how many Brian Wilson songs have that stupid intro? "I just can't take it... when we're apart" is very amusingly sung. Jeff is falsettoing off in the background. he's like that electric guitar virtuoso that shreds during every part of every song in the set. treats the whole show like an extended solo. this song is making me sad too. this song really puts the "long" in Belong.

"Just Can't Wait to Be King" is the boring Elton John version again. I really like the film version. "I'm gonna be a mighty king, so enemies beware" "Well, I've never seen a king or beast with quite so little hair", have someone in the band do the Zazu voice. I bet Probyn could do it well for some reason. This arrangement... meh. it's not BW generic, it's just generic generic. sounds like Bruce Springsteen channeling Bo Diddley. this might've worked in a stadium 30 years ago. there's those unnecessary Jeff whooings. man, the cast version of this song is so much better. the African chorus singing "LET EVERY CREATURE GO FOR BROKE AND SING". whatever.

"Stay Awake" I probably haven't heard since I was like 6. I can't really comment on this song. sounds slightly Smilesque I guess in the arrangement. Brian's voice is wearing on me.

and what the f*** is up with "Heigh-Ho/Whistle While You Work"? first of all, it's like someone didn't have anything to play so they put the keyboard setting on "sound effects" and he's just hitting random fucking buttons. maraca comes in for half a second. If any song had Brian's hands on it it would be this one. this song is legitimately amusing, but in the same way that John Lennon laughs at crippled kids I'm laughing at this song. this is the essence of Brian Wilson, this is everything anyone could hate or love about the man in one song. just needs some really terrible singing on it, haha. this was over too soon, could've gone on for a few more minutes. I didn't like this song when I heard it isolated from the album but it's definitely the highlight now.

I'm glad that "When You Wish Upon a Star" isn't the same arrangement as the Fred Mollin version from a few years ago which was basically "Surfer Girl", Darian and Jeff sang on it and Mark Linnet produced it, look it up if you haven't. but anyway, while I'm glad it's not the same arrangement, I'm not glad it's a worse arrangement. the drums play at random times. Jeff singing in random places just for the hell of it. the last few seconds was pretty good though.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 20, 2011, 12:22:18 AM »

So surprisingly good

I'm serious, Brian should go back and rerecord his BWPS vocals. He is so much better now
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #356 on: September 20, 2011, 12:51:42 AM »

The tracks will have been watermarked, so someone's in deep sh*t.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 20, 2011, 12:59:54 AM »

What an album. Went for a walk and listened to most of the tracks. Will definitely be buying it for people for Christmas!!! I Just Cant Wait To Be King is the best song along with Kiss The Girl.

No mas, por favor.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 20, 2011, 01:27:04 AM »

What exactly is a watermark? I've seen it mentioned in several messageboards now, usually talking about downloads.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 20, 2011, 01:44:20 AM »

Not necessarily, this could have leaked from the final product.
Still, I have a feeling they will be able to trace it back to the guilty party...

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: September 20, 2011, 02:10:48 AM »

What exactly is a watermark? I've seen it mentioned in several messageboards now, usually talking about downloads.

The record.company uses a digital marker unique to each copy sent out to press, etc

No mas, por favor.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: September 20, 2011, 04:37:16 AM »

finding this rather bland. i really liked heigh ho so was hoping for more interesting arrangements like that and less boring ballad stuff.

we belong together starts like i got rhythm and youve got a friend starts like marcella

can you feel the love tonight is just a horrible song
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 04:38:25 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

smokeythebear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 20, 2011, 05:32:08 AM »

Well just had to download this album...ill buy it do not worry i will buy it. Impressions, well Brians vocals are so much better than previous, but it depends what you compare it to. I guess now we are glad if he sounds somewhat like he did in the eighties, i think we all accepted sixties Brian´s voice is gone forever. Some poster said that there was to much harmonies just for the sake of it and i tend to agree. As for the songs well, i think his best vocals are on the verses of "colors of the wind", the staple like inclusion of "when you wish" acapella feels like it has been done a couple of times already on the two previous records.

I did not expect much from this records since these type of records never turns out that great, i mean how many epic cover records do we know of? So it was expected, all forgiven, now lets do the Rock and Roll album!
ghost
« Reply #363 on: September 20, 2011, 06:03:49 AM »

Leaked! Ouch! And what interesting timing...   Roll Eyes
I guess somebody shouldn't have trusted someone and gave him/her a copy of the album.
I'm assuming that somebody will be in serious troubles and that someone's ass will be seriously kicked.

Maybe a time out from the band would do Jeff well...  Grin
ghost
« Reply #364 on: September 20, 2011, 06:05:54 AM »

Run to teacher yet?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 20, 2011, 07:24:46 AM »

My only complaint is there is too much faux-Brian falsettos from Foskett soaked into almost every song.
ghost
« Reply #366 on: September 20, 2011, 07:36:53 AM »

but pixeltwin that's the sound of jeff's kundalini rising each morning to greet the day - that toxic oooh ooooh ooooh on "you've got a friend" that he sings

smokeythebear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 20, 2011, 07:52:06 AM »

My only complaint is there is too much faux-Brian falsettos from Foskett soaked into almost every song.

I agree with the Jeff comment. Anyone else here think that Brian should do a ballad album, very naked, just piano and vibes maybe? I know he tried in the seventies to do a Sinatra style album (On broadway, Deep Purple dream etc) his voice were not really up to it back in the day but now..well perhaps a more toned down approach is the way to go. He seems to loose the slur when doing slow songs for some reason and it sounds so much better.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 20, 2011, 07:55:59 AM »

but pixeltwin that's the sound of jeff's kundalini rising each morning to greet the day - that toxic oooh ooooh ooooh on "you've got a friend" that he sings

LOL

Disney in the Key of Pet Sounds with special faux-Brian cliche provided by Jeff "The Kundalini c*ck" Foskett

j/k I do like this album a-plenty.  Wink
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 20, 2011, 08:35:59 AM »

It amuses me that people are complaining about lots of harmony vocals and falsettos ....

On a Brian Wilson record!

I mean, what did you think was going to be on there?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 20, 2011, 08:42:27 AM »

Personally I was hoping for some dubstep

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 20, 2011, 08:53:54 AM »

It amuses me that people are complaining about lots of harmony vocals and falsettos ....

Precisely.  Grin
ghost
« Reply #372 on: September 20, 2011, 08:55:24 AM »

We love harmonies from The Beach Boys. The Wilson Trinity + MikeAl.

Not the imitation gold.
theCOD
« Reply #373 on: September 20, 2011, 08:59:19 AM »

Does Ghost dislike Jeff or something? I don't really have a problem with him or his vocals, but maybe after 50 more posts or so on the subject I'll come around.
ghost
« Reply #374 on: September 20, 2011, 09:05:43 AM »

Does Ghost dislike Jeff or something? I don't really have a problem with him or his vocals, but maybe after 50 more posts or so on the subject I'll come around.

Haha, I have nothing against the guy himself, you know personally or whatever, I don't know him, he doesn't know me, thank god (both ways), but it just seems to me that Brian should be chillin' with people like Danny Hutton on tour and not Jeff. Let Brian go to the bar for a few drinks with Danny and play some Roses and Rainbows for everybody. Why does he have to hang out with Jeff? Jeff reminds me of my half uncle who is a fanatical Christian republican nightmare of an ego to be around. I think Brian's music would change a LOT without Jeff. He's a safety pillow though for Brian and many of you too so you will find this post in bad taste.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 35 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx