gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 11:59:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In The Key Of Disney  (Read 135661 times)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: September 21, 2011, 03:22:10 PM »

(...)
Magnetic Attraction

(...) decent songs that beg for new lyrics and arrangements.

In my opinion, this is a tune that really deserves a proper release, with a new arrangement obviously, but with the same great lyrics: "Magnetic attraction, I thought I was safe with a heart of steel / Magnetic attraction, drawn to a magnet that's the way I feel" might sound corny to some of you, but to me they're quite clever and I wish I could come up with similar lyrics. I'm pretty sure it would have had hit potential in the 80s and it would still be a good song today.

I think Brian has little to do with the composition of that song. Or so it seems from the Wilson Project account and the way it sounds.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 21, 2011, 03:25:27 PM »

Brian has a lot of original albums left in and already outside of him. Besides the Usher sessions, Sweet Insanity and the Paley sessions (at least a couple of albums' worth of unreleased solo songs), he wrote and recorded an entire follow up to TLOS with Scott Bennett.

Untrue. 

There are tracks left over from the summer 2006 demo sessions, but post TLOS there was little, if any, new recording until the BWRG sessions.
AGD, has Brian ever worked on the "pleasure island" project he always talks about?

Not to my knowledge - it's like the fabled rock & roll album that he's been talking about since late 1999: something to say during an interview.

If I remember correctly a photo of Brian at the piano that appeared shortly after TLOS showed a handwritten song list supposedly for Pleasure Island. A most interesting and quirky lineup.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 21, 2011, 03:29:24 PM »

He [Mertens] needs to go. Compare TLOS demo to the finished product. I liked it a whole lot more before Mertens tarted it up.

That's a little extreme. Mertens is damn good and I think Brian needs him. I assume you're just talking about the one song (DLHKSAA) and not the entire TLOS album(?)

Would that be the consensus of the board here that in general the TLOS demos sound better than the final product?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 03:36:20 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 21, 2011, 03:31:57 PM »

He [Mertens] needs to go. Compare TLOS demo to the finished product. I liked it a whole lot more before Mertens tarted it up.

That's a little extreme. Mertens is damn good and I think Brian needs him. I assume you're just talking about the one song and not the entire TLOS album(?)

Would that be the consensus of the board here that in general the TLOS demos sound better than the final product?

Very much so

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 21, 2011, 04:00:57 PM »

It's tough. I think the demos are appreciated as the closest thing to a full-on, Brian-produced album of Brian songs that we've had since the 70s. He seems to play most of the keyboards, and does most of the vocals along with Scott.

That being said, there are some poor vocal performances in that demo group (Live Let Live), and some stuff sung by Scott (Southern California) that's fixed in the final album.

The final album is like the demos in one respect -- most of Brian's lead vocals are taken from them, according to Scott.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #455 on: September 21, 2011, 04:29:29 PM »

That's a little extreme. Mertens is damn good and I think Brian needs him. I assume you're just talking about the one song (DLHKSAA) and not the entire TLOS album(?)

DLHKSAA is on GIOMH, not TLOS.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 21, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »

"I agree. Mertens' all-out flute assault on "Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel" was unforgivable. He needs to go. Compare TLOS demo to the finished product. I liked it a whole lot more before Mertens tarted it up."

That's probably what Bubba Ho-tep was alluding to, Billy.  Maybe I didn't copy his quote well enough the first time.....
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 04:40:25 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #457 on: September 21, 2011, 04:50:19 PM »

Ahhh...gotcha.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: September 21, 2011, 05:01:32 PM »

Mike Love should be the only one allowed to play sax on Brian Wilson recordings. (inaudible sax solos) Perfect!

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 21, 2011, 05:17:57 PM »

What about Jay Migliori or Steve Douglas?
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 21, 2011, 06:36:40 PM »

Hey all, I just wanted to address something. I am NOT ghost. My friend has informed me that alot of people have been speculating and claiming Ghost is me. I have been working on my dissertation about why animals are cool, so haven't had time to post

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
ghost
« Reply #461 on: September 21, 2011, 06:46:26 PM »

has anyone else enjoyed this yet? it's cool, i just put it on after forgetting i had even made it and it's very satisfying for me right now , i am enjoying it immensely

ghost
« Reply #462 on: September 21, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »

Hey all, I just wanted to address something. I am NOT ghost. My friend has informed me that alot of people have been speculating and claiming Ghost is me. I have been working on my dissertation about why animals are cool, so haven't had time to post

i'm afraid that you are me, and i am you, and we are all together.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 21, 2011, 06:59:19 PM »

Goo, goo, ga choo!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: September 21, 2011, 07:40:38 PM »

I certainly don't think so. The demos are short and, frankly, thin. I was thrilled to get the final product.

Some of the demo vocals were flown in to the final product?? (Definitely NOT true for "Southern California"!) Who cares? From what I understand, that's not the most uncommon thing in the world.

But yeah, give me the final product for TLOS any day. Overall, it's a far more pleasurable listening experience. Don't get me wrong, I loved the demos when I first heard them, but when I got my vinyl TLOS (HA!!! We got TLOS in the US before they did in the UK for once!!!), it rendered the demos useless for me. (Then again, I do like hearing the Scott version of "Southern California" now and then, and I do prefer his "California Role" vocal over Brian's.)

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: September 21, 2011, 07:46:51 PM »

Paul Mertens is a terrible thing to happen to me. He actually changed his name so that Von is in it. He wears a Kimono and plays the flute. Not a fan, although he is a good and kind man.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
ghost
« Reply #466 on: September 21, 2011, 07:49:46 PM »

hahahah did he really change his name to add Von?

hmmmmmmmmmmmm i think i should be paul VON mertens from now on, to sound distinguished in brian's band, perhaps one day... the paul von mertens band  3D
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 21, 2011, 08:36:23 PM »

When TLOS came out, they had some sort of something or the other somewhere, where you could talk to Scott, or he was on a message board posting, or something.  Anyways, I asked him something about Brian playing piano, and he said that Brian played "Beautiful, layered keys" on every song on the album but two.  I don't know if the booklet supports that, but it's what Scott claimed.  I much prefer the released album over the demos. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 08:40:00 PM by Ron » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 21, 2011, 08:38:57 PM »

I'm not going to listen to this album online, I already listened to Whistle While You Work and loved it.  I'm going to wait another month and buy the cd to hear it... I think since albums have started leaking online over the past 10 years, it's helped ruin music.  There's something about only hearing a song or two off of it, the singles so to speak, then getting the album and popping it in and listening for the first time. 

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 21, 2011, 09:14:25 PM »

I certainly don't think so. The demos are short and, frankly, thin. I was thrilled to get the final product. But yeah, give me the final product for TLOS any day. Overall, it's a far more pleasurable listening experience. Don't get me wrong, I loved the demos when I first heard them, but when I got my vinyl TLOS (HA!!! We got TLOS in the US before they did in the UK for once!!!), it rendered the demos useless for me.

Just listened to a few of the TLOS demos and I agree; as demos usually go they're a little thin and raw. I don't have the vinyl, but just listening to the Mp3 demos makes me appreciate the further work that went into it to get it right.

Disney. Time to try to get into that. Maybe it'll grow on me like Gershwin did. Maybe not.....
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:24:05 PM by Mikie » Logged

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 21, 2011, 09:17:29 PM »

I'm thinking it could be a grower. The only track I still wanna listen to is Stay Awake, but that's top 10 BW solo, imo

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: September 21, 2011, 09:45:10 PM »

Downloading the album now

Hope it's good quality, if it's not I'll go ahead and delete

So where are people hearing this?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #472 on: September 21, 2011, 09:48:26 PM »

Downloading the album now

Hope it's good quality, if it's not I'll go ahead and delete

So where are people hearing this?

Nevermind...I found this on my own.  :-)

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #473 on: September 21, 2011, 10:01:12 PM »

So I managed to find this album on the Interwebs, and have just listened to snippets of each song.  Of course, I have no idea if what I downloaded was the final mix or not, but in any case my early impressions of this are that this album so far sounds unremarkable.  There are some interesting things going on with "When You Wish Upon A Star", but otherwise nothing really grabbed me thus far.  Will give it a better listen when the album officially releases.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #474 on: September 21, 2011, 10:41:34 PM »

Brian has a lot of original albums left in and already outside of him. Besides the Usher sessions, Sweet Insanity and the Paley sessions (at least a couple of albums' worth of unreleased solo songs), he wrote and recorded an entire follow up to TLOS with Scott Bennett.

Untrue.  

There are tracks left over from the summer 2006 demo sessions, but post TLOS there was little, if any, new recording until the BWRG sessions.

Wasn't it alleged that much of the leftovers from the summer 2006 demo sessions were actually part of Brian's intended running order to TLOS that was nixed by someone other than Brian?

Nope... if you've heard them you'd realise that slotting them into the TLOS 'concept' would require a mighty big hammer.  Grin

I dunno. I had heard that Scott and Darian sequenced the thing and that Brian added Southern California late in the game.

True, dat - very late in the game.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 10:42:47 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 35 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx