gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:54:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Strange Things Happen  (Read 2839 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2011, 05:52:28 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx9xxNAjhvk&feature=related

I've long loved this song, but am wondering: what strange things exactly happen whenever Al touches his baby??

Odd phrase/lyrics for what easily passes as a generic love song.

What the hell is Al talking about unless the male anatomy merely  functioning as designed is "strange" to him???

I want details!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 05:58:23 PM »

poss the best track on that album.

“We live in divisive times.”
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 07:07:53 AM »

The chorus ends with "strange things happen to me". You find that in many songs. It's like "when I touch my baby I get a strange feeling" "...I feel so warm inside" "...I start shaking" etc. It all means the same. You might wanna say, you get horny when your baby touches you, but that's just from a sexual interpretation. Follows the same direction though.

But of course it might be the case that really strange things happen to Al. I guess probably after he looked up to see whom he has touched.....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 07:33:56 AM »

I also likethe song "Lahaina Aloha".  It's too bad that when the album came out they were only really promoting "Hot Fun In The Summer", "Surfin", and "Under The Boardwalk".  I bet most people have never even heard of this song.
ghost
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 08:14:54 AM »

Al Jardine is, of course, an escaped garden gnome. But this song is quite ridiculous. Mike Love - what a trip! Seriously guys. I made that positive thread for Brian. Let's make some love for mike love. When he's in the great beyond eternally vibrating WHENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN (see youtube video compilation of his intros to Be True...) we will think of him as such a fun guy. We will have so many fun stories about Mike. All his bad will become good. Just wait. Like you know how we've heard rumors of Mike singing Wonderful backstage once? To himself? Being overheard? Those little endearing views into Maike Love will become what we love about him most. I mean, what the f*** is this song about? Haha! She beleives in god and karma, their normal powers, you know some people do, got scorpions rising, tell you what's in your stars, she was down in rio, turn the heads to steaks, sgot a a planet a better place in coca cola uhuh boy does she radiate i'd like to masturbate  everytime i touc h my baby strange thingsi  happen 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 08:21:45 AM »

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
ghost
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 08:35:21 AM »

Hahahahahaha, what is that soaring dolphin noise? At the end of this track into the fade out? Is that Carl or a guitar or a synth? Hahaha I c an['t even tell. But it sounds like Carl turned into a whale emitting these high pitched frequencies transmitting language. Mike Love is some kind of devil. In a good way. Bad is good. He is like - you never know really like - is this guy serious? I mean, when I see Mike Love performign through the years, I think sometimes - was this guy putting everyone on? The robe? Come on!!!! It's so funny! Mike has a fucking hilarious sense of humor. So does Brian. Bill is definitely onto something with Brian / Zen / Laughter and you all have to admit it. Brian laughs like a mountain beast erupting at nightfall at the crack of a good zen joke. He's god the buddha-belly laugh. No one here is interested in anything like Zen or authors like Tim Leary or Arthur Koestler or whoever is trying to expand their own minds and others into newer & higher realms of evolutionary consciousness. So when Brian says these things which, I imagine, must scatter the minds of most hearers here, who undoubtedly write it off as Brian bullshitting around or being overmedicated [such as the description of energies from the cosmos fuses into Brian's brain at the time of conditionally perfect inspiration [everything has to be right - the sandbox, etc] through his pineal gland and down the spine to the bottom and then up again into his arms into the fingers which play. Dare I go a step even beyond Bill Tobelman now?  I propose that Brian Wilson when he is composing is not at all in an ordinary state of mind common to the common man of today's world at all. His brain has the knowledge of the keys & the kolors. The muscles in the hands and arms are well trained - the man knows his way around a piano. Brian doesn't play with delicacy usually but his whole sense of rhythm is unique to himself. His songs are the alien messages of the cosmos. When everything is conditionally perfect the cosmos fuses energies into Brian's brain and completely 'lights up' all his higher abstractional aesthetic sensitivities in the most mystical parts of the brain-mind [you cannot argue that the brain is well equipped for psychedelic or paranormal experience, since they are experienced, whether as real as a stone or only a dream or not, they are experienced by some mind] and shuts off his ordinary egoic Caligula control of the body and lets it go on autopilot composing music. Brian's style of playing seems like he could pound a piano for hours. Just the same chord. f*** man, it sounds good, I'll keep playing it! That, my friends, is sound wisdom. The cosmos has released certain significant messages through Brian's music. Solar System brings us wisdom!!!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 08:38:58 AM »

Hahahahahaha, what is that soaring dolphin noise? At the end of this track into the fade out? Is that Carl or a guitar or a synth? Hahaha I c an['t even tell. But it sounds like Carl turned into a whale emitting these high pitched frequencies transmitting language. Mike Love is some kind of devil. In a good way. Bad is good. He is like - you never know really like - is this guy serious? I mean, when I see Mike Love performign through the years, I think sometimes - was this guy putting everyone on? The robe? Come on!!!! It's so funny! Mike has a friggin' hilarious sense of humor. So does Brian. Bill is definitely onto something with Brian / Zen / Laughter and you all have to admit it. Brian laughs like a mountain beast erupting at nightfall at the crack of a good zen joke. He's god the buddha-belly laugh. No one here is interested in anything like Zen or authors like Tim Leary or Arthur Koestler or whoever is trying to expand their own minds and others into newer & higher realms of evolutionary consciousness. So when Brian says these things which, I imagine, must scatter the minds of most hearers here, who undoubtedly write it off as Brian bullsh*tting around or being overmedicated [such as the description of energies from the cosmos fuses into Brian's brain at the time of conditionally perfect inspiration [everything has to be right - the sandbox, etc] through his pineal gland and down the spine to the bottom and then up again into his arms into the fingers which play. Dare I go a step even beyond Bill Tobelman now?  I propose that Brian Wilson when he is composing is not at all in an ordinary state of mind common to the common man of today's world at all. His brain has the knowledge of the keys & the kolors. The muscles in the hands and arms are well trained - the man knows his way around a piano. Brian doesn't play with delicacy usually but his whole sense of rhythm is unique to himself. His songs are the alien messages of the cosmos. When everything is conditionally perfect the cosmos fuses energies into Brian's brain and completely 'lights up' all his higher abstractional aesthetic sensitivities in the most mystical parts of the brain-mind [you cannot argue that the brain is well equipped for psychedelic or paranormal experience, since they are experienced, whether as real as a stone or only a dream or not, they are experienced by some mind] and shuts off his ordinary egoic Caligula control of the body and lets it go on autopilot composing music. Brian's style of playing seems like he could pound a piano for hours. Just the same chord. f*ck man, it sounds good, I'll keep playing it! That, my friends, is sound wisdom. The cosmos has released certain significant messages through Brian's music. Solar System brings us wisdom!!!!
Somebody is tripping hard right now.... LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ghost
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 08:45:03 AM »

Hahahahahaha, what is that soaring dolphin noise? At the end of this track into the fade out? Is that Carl or a guitar or a synth? Hahaha I c an['t even tell. But it sounds like Carl turned into a whale emitting these high pitched frequencies transmitting language. Mike Love is some kind of devil. In a good way. Bad is good. He is like - you never know really like - is this guy serious? I mean, when I see Mike Love performign through the years, I think sometimes - was this guy putting everyone on? The robe? Come on!!!! It's so funny! Mike has a friggin' hilarious sense of humor. So does Brian. Bill is definitely onto something with Brian / Zen / Laughter and you all have to admit it. Brian laughs like a mountain beast erupting at nightfall at the crack of a good zen joke. He's god the buddha-belly laugh. No one here is interested in anything like Zen or authors like Tim Leary or Arthur Koestler or whoever is trying to expand their own minds and others into newer & higher realms of evolutionary consciousness. So when Brian says these things which, I imagine, must scatter the minds of most hearers here, who undoubtedly write it off as Brian bullsh*tting around or being overmedicated [such as the description of energies from the cosmos fuses into Brian's brain at the time of conditionally perfect inspiration [everything has to be right - the sandbox, etc] through his pineal gland and down the spine to the bottom and then up again into his arms into the fingers which play. Dare I go a step even beyond Bill Tobelman now?  I propose that Brian Wilson when he is composing is not at all in an ordinary state of mind common to the common man of today's world at all. His brain has the knowledge of the keys & the kolors. The muscles in the hands and arms are well trained - the man knows his way around a piano. Brian doesn't play with delicacy usually but his whole sense of rhythm is unique to himself. His songs are the alien messages of the cosmos. When everything is conditionally perfect the cosmos fuses energies into Brian's brain and completely 'lights up' all his higher abstractional aesthetic sensitivities in the most mystical parts of the brain-mind [you cannot argue that the brain is well equipped for psychedelic or paranormal experience, since they are experienced, whether as real as a stone or only a dream or not, they are experienced by some mind] and shuts off his ordinary egoic Caligula control of the body and lets it go on autopilot composing music. Brian's style of playing seems like he could pound a piano for hours. Just the same chord. f*ck man, it sounds good, I'll keep playing it! That, my friends, is sound wisdom. The cosmos has released certain significant messages through Brian's music. Solar System brings us wisdom!!!!
Somebody is tripping hard right now.... LOL

As Dali said - I don't need drugs, I AM DRUGS.

Of course I do enjoy certain pleasures because pleasure & love & such things are really all we have on this bizarre cannibalistic planet. Our lives are ultimately meaningless even within the human sphere of things. So, enjoy all things. O wise man, please thyself.

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 09:07:18 AM »

Don't know about any of this, but this was quite possibly the best Al Jardine vocal ever put on record.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »

The song is about his spiriual c*ck getting hard, along with his physical one.  A pretty easy song to figure out. Wink
Al was in fine voice on all of the songs that he sang on SIP. I also enjoy his vocals on the One Summer Night section on Slow Summer Dancin'.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
ghost
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 10:11:08 AM »

The song is about his spiriual c*ck getting hard, along with his physical one.  A pretty easy song to figure out. Wink
Al was in fine voice on all of the songs that he sang on SIP. I also enjoy his vocals on the One Summer Night section on Slow Summer Dancin'.

When is Al ever not in fine voice? It's just that he gets bland at times. But when Al wants to he is clearly capable of doing some impressive vocal work. His voice has a very nice tone. I don't consider his guitar playing anything even noticeable really but I like hearing his voice most of the time.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »

I have not listened to SIP in a long long time. Pretty refreshing to hear this. 3D

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 11:24:43 AM »

With the talk of how we'll think of Mike after he passes... I've come to a somewhat unrelated conclusion. When they finally write the definitive Brian Wilson biography, when all the secrets can be told without Brian, Mike, Al, or Bruce around to sue the pants off whoever does... it should be called SPEED TURTLE.

Think about it. Brian took over 30 years to release Smile.  Goes on long sojourns to his bed, to come back with the latest rock sacrament (think "Ding Dang"). HE IS THE SPEED TURTLE
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 11:27:49 AM »

"poss the best track on that album."

Not an awful lot of competition...
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 01:30:54 PM »

When Al touches his baby strange things happen to him. And he's noticed he starting to get hair down there. And the other night he had a strange, sexy dream only to wake up and find he'd wet the bed.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 02:00:03 PM »

I know you're just taking the piss with that, but it IS what the song seems to be about!!!!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 08:53:58 PM »

I've long loved this song, but am wondering: what strange things exactly happen whenever Al touches his baby??

What the hell is Al talking about unless the male anatomy merely  functioning as designed is "strange" to him???

I want details!

Like Al would have any idea.  The guy doesn't even recognize a drug reference in a song ("Somewhere Near Japan") when he's singing it (according to AGD's book). 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
ghost
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 09:00:15 PM »

I want details!

Like Al would have any idea.  The guy doesn't even recognize a drug reference in a song ("Somewhere Near Japan") when he's singing it (according to AGD's book). 

Haha! Al Jardine has secretly been suffering from dissociative identity disorder. As soon as he realized his dreams of dentistry were like insubstantial mirages and he had to settle for life in a rock & roll band he just retreated within, he withdrew. Al Jardine is a shell of what he once was before this devastating realization. He just goes through life functioning but entirely unaware of it. The bird does not ask why it sings. Similarly, Al Jardine appears in record stores playing Vegetables like any garden gnome would do and advocating the use of LSD for writing songs like on Smile [implicitly].

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx