gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:40:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate L.A. (Light Album)
5 - 4 (2.9%)
4 - 42 (30.9%)
3 - 60 (44.1%)
2 - 21 (15.4%)
1 - 6 (4.4%)
0 - 3 (2.2%)
Total Voters: 125

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: L.A. (Light Album)  (Read 95242 times)
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2006, 05:51:34 PM »

Full Sail - I do NOT understand why some of you cannot appreciate this song.  It is just flat-out lovely.  Maybe I'm tied to this song because it instantly reminds me of laying out on the beach in Maui during my honeymoon.  (Where I listened to this the entire time: http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jason.penick/inspiration/mia.html)  One of the most gorgeous songs ever, IMO.

Angel Come Home - Carl was really on fire around this time.  This song is up there with "Feel Flows" and "Heaven" in the holy trinity of Carl Wilson compositions.  Anybody who's ever lost someone they've loved can relate to the lyrics, and Carl's melody and Dennis's sincere vocal do the song complete justice.

Love Surrounds Me - This one is a complete jaw dropper.  It's incredible that Dennis could turn out stuff like this, and even more incredible that the band often chose not to include his songs on the album.  The synth breakdown during the middle 8 leading into the walls of Christine McVie harmonies is the highlight of the album for me.  It's a damn shame we never got to hear Bamboo.

I'm with you.  I find all three of these songs to be soft rock hymns.

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2006, 01:39:56 AM »

What I wouldn't have given for a Dennis-Carl project around this time... Would've been amazing.

Jason, hit the nail on the head (not a big fan of HCTN or Sumahama though)...  I think the late 70's production on this one really assisted the BB's with their "summer nights" sound...  The thing that stops me from thinking of the beach when I listen to most of their early 60's material is the production, too heavy and not delicate enough, whereas here with "Full Sail" (the most underrated BB's track ever) it breezes in and out of your speakers... just lovely.
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2006, 08:22:49 AM »

I think the late 70's production on this one really assisted the BB's with their "summer nights" sound...  The thing that stops me from thinking of the beach when I listen to most of their early 60's material is the production, too heavy and not delicate enough, whereas here with "Full Sail" (the most underrated BB's track ever) it breezes in and out of your speakers... just lovely.
That's a damn fine point - I agree whole-heartedly.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2006, 08:12:40 AM »

4 for me, i dont get why so many people dont like this album. Far better than miu, ktsa or anything that followed. Good timin, baby blue, love surrounds me, Full sail, Angel come home are all great. Lady lynda, sumahama and HCTN all suck but the good easily outweighs the bad

TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2006, 10:44:16 AM »

Is the rumor true that "Do You Like Worms" was close to appearing on this album?
Leo K
Smiley Smile Associate

I Have Lost Touch With The World

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2006, 10:02:59 AM »

The L.A. Light Album is a very melancholy album...

Dark hazy large sunglasses and big hoop earrings worn on the countless frames of wonderful women...long straight hair and sun tan...waiting for a hug. Beaded entryways and orange curtains. Rainy days and groceries...cigerette smoke anyplace, anytime. Disco shirts and Dingo boots. A saddness keeps interrupting All in the Family.

The end of the seventies is at hand...there is a general apathy, a sense of trying to live right...a search for happiness in Cosmo, Franco-American Macaroni & Beef, drugs and the right swinging partner. Going to parties and finishing frustrated. The hotel pool is freezing and nobody wants to jump in.

This album is a soundtrack to a unfilmed Altman film...it captures its time. I can't help but remember my childhood in the seventies when I put this thing on, yet the music applies today.

(thank you Trumpet Sounds for image)

Good Timin'  Grin ...A Glorious overture...TELL ME, O MUSE, of that ingenious hero who travelled far and wide after trying to survive one decade in the promise of an America. What good timin' does this hero share with the Gods?!

Lady Lynda   Cool...Welcome to the fireplace, wine and shag. It is hard to leave this little pad of the 70's. Maybe you are under her spell...Calypso? The women is long and tall...I can imagine her hairstyle, can you? It's easy if you try.

Full Sail    Sad...Sail on Sailor, now on quiet, mellow waves of depression...hard to catch the wind sometimes. Mourning you father. The grey eyed Goddess is your guide now. Poseidon haunts your dreams. Carl is the man of twists and turns.

Angel Come Home    angel...You are trapped in a relationship with the nymph Calyspo. "I told you there would be heartache and shipwreck in your future," she says, "Would you rather share immortality with me?" Everyday for the last ten years you have sat in the flower-wallpapered kitchen, weeping for home and Penelope. There is no more beer in the fridge.

Love Surrounds Me   Smokin...This man of twists and turns is still alone, and it's even hard to dream. Will this decade ever end? The Sirens swarm in full of voices and tones...healing...A kind of samadhi in 1979.

Sumahama   3D(sometimes I skip it, but not often)...Only for Lotus eaters. Do not be tempted to stay on this island or you may be eaten.

Here Comes The Night   Cool Guy...1979: A Space Odyssey. There is no place like L.A. "I will show you fear in a handful of dust!" Beware of Circe or be turned into swine right on the dance floor. She says, "You will never see home again."

Baby Blue   Grin...A return into the arms of your beloved Penelope. You have waited for this for 10 years. You have suffered Poseiden's American joke for too long. If you could only lay here in Penelope's arms forever. Forever. Is this real?

Goin' South     :(Listen Listen Listen...In the end the man of twists and turns will always be alone. Thank you Carl.

Shortenin' Bread   Shocked...The afterlife is not what you thought it would be. The Gods are drunk.

I love this album.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 01:30:01 PM by Leo K » Logged
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2006, 01:18:46 PM »

Is the rumor true that "Do You Like Worms" was close to appearing on this album?

Yes.  Bruce Johnston said so in an interview.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2006, 12:27:18 AM »

Leo K...Your post is the greatest analysis of a BB record i've yet to view!! Keep It Up! Very terse & evocotive.
Leo K
Smiley Smile Associate

I Have Lost Touch With The World

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2006, 10:25:14 AM »

Leo K...Your post is the greatest analysis of a BB record i've yet to view!! Keep It Up! Very terse & evocotive.

Thanks Lorenschwartz...I'll try :D
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2006, 11:13:07 PM »

Resurrection post.  Some scans of the liner sleeve to this hit and miss album:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/Compost/LA1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/Compost/LA2.jpg

The look Dennis is giving Mike in the middle picture, second side is priceless - nice hat.

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2006, 05:15:25 AM »

Nice stuff!

Watch out for snakes!
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2006, 01:09:49 PM »

By 1979, the Beach Boys had proved they could succeed without Brian, but L.A. probably had his smallest involvement ever -- just "Good Timin," "Shortenin Bread," and the "Here Comes the Night" cover.  Carl and Dennis picked up the slack brilliantly.

GOOD TIMIN -- Beautiful song, outstanding vocal work.  Stands with the early Beach Boys classics such as "Surfer Girl," which it deliberately echoes.

LADY LYNDA -- Starts off very schmaltzy, but is actually not a bad song.  Boy was Al teetering on the edge by this time, though . . .

FULL SAIL -- Excellent, mellow Carl track.  Love the slightly discordant wind chimes.  Perfect 1979 music.

ANGEL COME HOME -- I really love this song.  Fantastic melody, great sentiment, and Denny's vocal (like pretty much everything he ever sang) adds so much authenticity and feeling.

LOVE SURROUNDS ME -- Outstanding Denny track.  Original, soulful, great production in Denny's own unique style.  He truly was a genius.

SUMAHAMA -- One of Mr. Love's best solo efforts ever, probably rivalled only by "Big Sur."  Very cool production (great strings), great melody, surprisingly affecting lyrics.

I agree with Jason Penick, side one of this album is outstanding.

HERE COMES THE NIGHT -- Not bad in and of itself, but it is way, WAY too long.  As a 3 1/2 minute track, it would have been fine.  But 11 minutes?  Save that for the dance club remix.

BABY BLUE -- Heartbreaking.  Denny's last track on a Beach Boys album, and one of his best.

GOIN SOUTH -- Another strong mellow Carl effort. 

SHORTENIN BREAD -- Don't quite see why Brian was so obsessed with this song over the years.  Like Denny's bass vocal (that is Denny, isn't it?), but this song isn't very substantial.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2006, 07:03:23 PM »

i like this review...especially putting good timin' up with surfer girl, that's a lot to say for most people, but i agree

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2006, 08:13:29 PM »

SHORTENIN BREAD -- Don't quite see why Brian was so obsessed with this song over the years.  Like Denny's bass vocal (that is Denny, isn't it?), but this song isn't very substantial.

I always thought it was Mike doing the bass in that song. While I don't know the reason why Brian wanted to do this song, I love the groove of it, especially the backing track.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2006, 09:24:00 PM »

i agree..the track is great...

i didnt think mike really had a whole lot to do with this album like friends...besides his owncomp...of course, it seems like there's little contribution to each track from each of the guys...they all blend together well on good timin

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2006, 10:18:58 AM »

The Light Album is a lot like 20/20; mostly a collection of solo tracks, with a couple of older songs featuring the entire group thrown in.

side one of the Light Album + side two of MIU = the last great Beach Boy album?

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2006, 01:03:27 PM »

I'll bite.

Good Timin'
Lady Lynda
Full Sail
Angel Come Home
Love Surrounds Me
She's Got Rhythm
Wontcha Come Out Tonight
Sweet Sunday Kinda Love
My Diane
Baby Blue
Goin' South

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2006, 02:42:17 PM »

I'll bite.

Good Timin'
Lady Lynda
Full Sail
Angel Come Home
Love Surrounds Me
She's Got Rhythm
Wontcha Come Out Tonight
Sweet Sunday Kinda Love
My Diane
Baby Blue
Goin' South

That would certainly be a great album, but I would lose Lady Lynda and keep Hey Little Tomboy, plus I'd add at least Matchpoint of Our Love -- frankly, I wouldn't want to part with much of M.I.U. (I suppose I could live without Al's covers and Winds of Change if I had to).  Don't make me give up Kona Coast or Sumahama, either!

SHORTENIN BREAD -- Don't quite see why Brian was so obsessed with this song over the years. Like Denny's bass vocal (that is Denny, isn't it?), but this song isn't very substantial.

I always thought it was Mike doing the bass in that song. While I don't know the reason why Brian wanted to do this song, I love the groove of it, especially the backing track.

I feel certain that is not Mike.  I think it has to be a Wilson -- probably Dennis, maybe Brian.  It sounds like the bass vocals on River Song to me, that's why I thought it was Denny.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
planet_jake
Smiley Smile Newbie

The hypnosis of our minds can take us far away.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2006, 08:34:29 AM »

I voted 4.

IMO, one of their most relaxed and "lovely" albums... I do consider this their swan song... It didn't get much better after this. Although The Beach Boys '85 has its very particular moments.

I even like the disco cover of Here Comes the Night.

(First Post! WOO!... Anyone here have a Love You album cover avatar? I would like that tpo be my avatar but if someone else is already using it I wont use it...)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 03:34:12 PM by planet_jake » Logged

Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2006, 10:49:14 AM »

I voted 4.

IMO, one of thier most relaxed and "lovely" albums... I do consider this their swan song... I didn't get better after this. Although The Beach Boys '85 has its very particular moments.

I even like the disco cover of Here Comes the Night.

(First Post! WOO!... Anyone here have a Love You album cover avatar? I would like that tpo be my avatar but if someone else is already using it I wont use it...)
  fer shure, shortnen bread is perhaps the best way to end the album. being brian's child-infatuation playfullness...this BB rave up is as poignant as anything.Its almost like them sayin' see ya, Peace. I thank God they didn't end with Goin South. Bleeeech!!!! the live version of Shortnen is awesome!!!!!
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2006, 08:03:42 AM »

I know i'm in the minority here but I'm not wildly keen, Goin' South is so dull and Here comes the night is kak. In my opinion they should have kept Bruce well away from the production, as he was just bandwagon jumping, and it just sounds like any old bland late 70s L.A. record, and in that way the title is perfectly appropriate.
The best track by far is the sublime 'Good Timin' which has Brians melodic sense all over it, and this album is probably the least Brian of all (apart from SIP) and bizarrely is the only BB album (apart from CATP)which has only one bit of Mike Love singing (Sumahama), but don't quote me on that.
Angel come home is good, but Love surrounds me is turgid.
I agree that the inclusion of 'California Feeling' and 'IABD' would have helped the album, hell, even 'Brians Back' would have elevated it, at least it has a good tune!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2006, 09:00:46 PM »

4. I don't understand all the negativity for this album. Im a believer!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
MBE
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2006, 11:26:48 PM »

I.
I agree that the inclusion of 'California Feeling' and 'IABD' would have helped the album, hell, even 'Brians Back' would have elevated it, at least it has a good tune!
IABD?
MBE
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2006, 11:29:57 PM »

This is an adult album the last Beach Boys LP not to have a surf or car song. If you put Baby Blue on the a side to replace Mike's Japaneese antics, I think you have a GREAT half a album. Perhaps I would replace Full Sail with the early Santa Anna Winds though or perhaps California Feeling.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2006, 03:08:18 AM »

I.
IABD?

It's a beautiful day (I know it was done a little bit after the album)

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx