gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681023 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 03:44:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love types in other bands?  (Read 8938 times)
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2011, 07:46:55 PM »

What do you mean McGuinn had little comparative talent! Who bears a co-writing credit on the latter-day masterpiece "Ding Dang" with one Brian Douglas Wilson? That's right...
Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2011, 08:49:48 PM »

and speaking of Crosby, Stephen Stills is an egotistical ass as well. in fact, CSN might be like 3 Mikes in one band!  Wink

Except Graham Nash is a genuinely nice chap, and one of the least egotistical people i've encountered. Trouble is he's a Man Utd supporter, but nobody's perfect.
Crosby on the other hand, has, or had, a massive ego, but he did write "Everybody's Been Burned", "Deja Vu", "Compass", and the entire If I Could Only Remember My Name album.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 08:54:06 PM by Dead Parrot » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2011, 03:47:17 AM »

bono

Makes sense. Our #1 do-gooder may have a great voice, but he's also stinking filthy rich. In itself that's not a crime. But here's a man who's got more mone than he, his children, and his children's children and their offspring can ever spend. He's an advocate of charity. He has a foundation of his own ("One"), that allegedly collects money for charity. Harsh reality, however, has it that only 1% (hence "One" Roll Eyes) of that money really goes to the needy of the planet. Yet Bono admonishes us to spend quite a bit of our own dosh on good goals.
Irony has it that Bone is not satisfied yet by a long shot, regarding his own finances. Therefore the financial HQ of U2 is located in Holland (just as the Stones' one is). Because a lot less tax has to be paid. Were Bono honest, he'd do that in Ireland, just as any hard-working Irish person is obliged to.

It doesn't come across well at all.

Mike Love's a saint, in comparison. Mike doesn't strive for photo opportunties with Nelson Mandela or the Pope.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 03:48:13 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2011, 04:00:39 AM »

Crosby on the other hand, has, or had, a massive ego, but he did write "Everybody's Been Burned", "Deja Vu", "Compass", and the entire If I Could Only Remember My Name album.

The Cros, like Keef, demands respect for the simple act of still drawing breath on a daily basis. Plus, he's well aware of his ego, generally very amusing and yes, his body of work in the 60s and 70s (ending with the sublime "Delta") is great.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2011, 04:19:57 AM »

The Cros, like Keef, demands respect for the simple act of still drawing breath on a daily basis. Plus, he's well aware of his ego, generally very amusing and yes, his body of work in the 60s and 70s (ending with the sublime "Delta") is great.

I am more of a Gene Clark type of person (as for the celestial/hymnal stuff, he could equal Brian Wilson IMHO); sadly enough, Clark didn't survive his passion for substances, including alcohol. But Crosby did write sublime material, and contrasted that with the ridiculous ('Mind Gardens' really mars Younger Than Yesterday).

ghost
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2011, 07:08:37 AM »

Mike Love's a saint, in comparison. Mike doesn't strive for photo opportunties with Nelson Mandela or the Pope.

He SO would if he were more famous. Come on! You know this!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2011, 08:21:25 AM »

bono

Makes sense. Our #1 do-gooder may have a great voice, but he's also stinking filthy rich. In itself that's not a crime. But here's a man who's got more mone than he, his children, and his children's children and their offspring can ever spend. He's an advocate of charity. He has a foundation of his own ("One"), that allegedly collects money for charity. Harsh reality, however, has it that only 1% (hence "One" Roll Eyes) of that money really goes to the needy of the planet. Yet Bono admonishes us to spend quite a bit of our own dosh on good goals.
Irony has it that Bone is not satisfied yet by a long shot, regarding his own finances. Therefore the financial HQ of U2 is located in Holland (just as the Stones' one is). Because a lot less tax has to be paid. Were Bono honest, he'd do that in Ireland, just as any hard-working Irish person is obliged to.

Is there evidence of this? Or could he just be filthy rich because u2 has been very successful.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2011, 08:25:25 AM »

bono

Irony has it that Bone is not satisfied yet by a long shot, regarding his own finances. Therefore the financial HQ of U2 is located in Holland (just as the Stones' one is). Because a lot less tax has to be paid. Were Bono honest, he'd do that in Ireland, just as any hard-working Irish person is obliged to.

Is there evidence of this? Or could he just be filthy rich because u2 has been very successful.

Trust me. We had a lenghty discussion about this on a British board. I am in Holland and know of the tax locations of U2 and The Stones. The Britons know about the 'One' foundation. U2 simply evades paying Irish taxes properly, yet Bono urges us to donate to the Third World. I don't like that.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2011, 08:33:51 AM »

bono

Trust me. We had a lenghty discussion about this on a British board. I am in Holland and know of the tax locations of U2 and The Stones. The Britons know about the 'One' foundation. U2 simply evades paying Irish taxes properly, yet Bono urges us to donate to the Third World. I don't like that.

Well, maybe he trusts that more of his own money will be given the the Third World then that of the Irish government. I don't know, you could be right.

Personally, I think we could give billions of dollars to people in a third world country. But it wouldn't fix the root of the problem. Their governments are too corrupt. And perhaps other governments of wealthy countries are part of the problem as well.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2011, 08:45:07 AM »

bono

Well, maybe he trusts that more of his own money will be given the the Third World then that of the Irish government. I don't know, you could be right.

Personally, I think we could give billions of dollars to people in a third world country. But it wouldn't fix the root of the problem. Their governments are too corrupt. And perhaps other governments of wealthy countries are part of the problem as well.

Agreed. Even the UN THROWS money/aid to third world countries and NOTHING ever changes.

I watched an NBC special about bono helping in third world countries - and at least he is doing something. He has made a sh*tload of money (and regardless of whether or not he pays taxes in Ireland) he is at least making people aware of the situation in Africa and giving some money. He's not a saint, he's a rockstar&human being. Having loads of money doesn't equate to having a perfect conscious.

People get pissed at Bono's charitable attitude, but no one gets pissed that Axl Rose doesn't do much to help third world countries. No one cares that Justin Beiber doesn't raise awareness about the suffering in the Congo. People just bitch about Bono and how he doesn't give more. Whatev.

*That being said, I totally see Heartical Don's point....I don't know where I stand on the issue (I DO think bono is a hypocrite) but I also think people pounce on him too much...idk. As for the tax thing, yeah, that's kinda a shitty move on his part.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 08:52:53 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2011, 08:46:12 AM »

Double Post.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2011, 09:30:17 AM »

U2 as a band was the highest grossing musical act of last year, estimated earnings of 195 million US...give or take a few mil. The Spider Man musical added quite a bit to their coffers, after it got off the ground safely and actors weren't falling out of the rafters during the show. Cheesy

Re: The Holland issue...What is an estimated percentage of the current tax rate in Ireland for a wealthy man like Bono or a collective like the Rolling Stones? I'm not taking sides either way because it dips into the politics of taxation and opinions of what is a "fair share" to pay in taxes out of your wages and earnings, but I am curious to find out. I remember reading accounts of The Beatles in a similar situation in the mid to late 60's - wasn't it a staggering tax rate of 95% or something which they were facing on their earnings as a band? They tried to buy an island in Greece to escape it, if I recall the history. Cheesy

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2011, 10:14:50 AM »

I never realised until I read his autobiography (a great read BTW), just how bad Crosby's drug addiction got in the early 80's. When you read him talking about staying up for days on end constantly freebasing, and having his publishing rights bought by Graham Nash before Crosby could sell them for drug money, it really is amazing that he not only kicked his cocaine and heroin habit, but lived long enough to do so.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 10:15:59 AM by Dead Parrot » Logged
Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2011, 10:15:35 AM »

Ignore
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 10:16:31 AM by Dead Parrot » Logged
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2011, 01:08:21 PM »

I really can't see the comparison with Fogerty or Waters, both were the chief creative forces of their respective bands. it makes sense they would call most of the shots.

Paul Revere seems pretty right-on. He's content being a nostalgia act, replacing every member of the band if necessary.

I think McGuinn and Crosby of the Byrds are similar to Mike in a lot of ways... McGuinn especially. neither was much of a writer, yet they kept much of Gene Clark's brilliant material from being released. McGuinn became the leader by default, but his talents never matched those of bandmates like Clark, Gram Parsons, Clarence White, or Chris Hillman.

and speaking of Crosby, Stephen Stills is an egotistical ass as well. in fact, CSN might be like 3 Mikes in one band!  Wink

Yeah, but the difference between Fogerty and Waters is: Fogerty wrote all the songs, sang all the leads, and played all the lead guitar, Waters: had a very limited scope as a bass player (Gilmour played a lot of the bass on the records), didn't really come into his own as a singer until the band's later days, and had three bandmates would could play endless circles around him, therefore, sure he wrote 90% of the lyrics and a lot of the songs, but I dare suggest his bandmates had more to do with the overall sound/vibe/attack than Waters.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2011, 10:27:42 PM »

Exactly. Waters would come up with the basis and theme for a song, (something the other two became less inclined to do over time) but it was Gilmour and to a lesser extent Wright who added colour, hooks, texture and melody.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2011, 10:32:12 PM »

If Bono really wanted to help Africa he should send them a few million crates of condoms. It only adds to the problem that each family has about 12 children.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
ghost
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2011, 11:36:54 PM »

If Bono really wanted to help Africa he should send them a few million crates of condoms. It only adds to the problem that each family has about 12 children.

Bono for safe boners.
bachelorofbullets
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2011, 11:47:48 PM »

Meh, you can't really compare him to any of the greats.  Maybe David Lee Roth as others have suggested, but David's personality was so extreme it caused Van Halen's demise, Mike never wanted to break up the BB's at all, except maybe for Al.  If it wasn't for Mike's lawsuit against the 2004 Smile stuff he would not be as vilified as he is.  Take away the the rambling, drunk and emotional hall of fame disaster and he might just be halfway normal.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2011, 03:16:47 AM »

Bono for safe boners.

Or Bone no.  Grin

ghost
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2011, 01:19:35 PM »

When Mike Love found out all he had to do was learn a few impressionistic dances like the 'roman chariot whip' and the 'rebellious school girl defiantly testing her daddy's rules by getting herself a real good ding dangin' and other such classics, he.........

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2011, 03:48:17 PM »

Bono for safe boners.

Or Bone no.  Grin

Or, they can air drop the condoms in gift boxes with U2's last album included and no one will ever think to have sex ever again!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx