gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:47:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: W i l d H o n e y  (Read 61547 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 10, 2011, 06:15:28 AM »

Those are some psychedelic, happening songs.

Nothing psychedelic about the album in any form. Just a great album done in the way Sam Phillips (of SUN Records) would've recorded it
Sam Phillips actually making an album with the group sounds awesome.

Unfortunately it's too late.
One can only dream of the awesomeness. I miss those old labels like Sun and Chess records.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 10, 2011, 04:38:41 PM »

I know I'm going rub people up the wrong way on this but whilst I really like Wild Honey, I dislike the title track. Carl vocals are scratchy and are grating to the ears. Its hard to believe it's the same  Carl that sang God Only Knows or even Cabinessence.

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 10, 2011, 07:15:39 PM »

There's a Top 30 Beach Boys' songs thread in action at the moment, and I'm making the effort to keep score on an aggregated best-of list. At the moment the only song from Wild Honey is Darlin', which is hanging on at #28. My own favourite, Let The Wind Blow, is currently just outside the Top 30. Perhaps this thread's Wild Honey enthusiasts might like to drop by and give the album some love.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9812.50.html
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:54:11 PM by William Bowe » Logged
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 11, 2011, 12:29:31 AM »

While we have a WH topic..

Personally I think the 2 fer sounds terrible, sound wise is that the best out there or is there a better sounding release to buy?

The 2000 twofer sounds a lot better than the 1990 one.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 11, 2011, 01:25:43 AM »

Since they found this new version of "Surf's Up" on the Wild Honey tapes, one wonders what's took them to those tapes.  A re-release?Huh

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 11, 2011, 01:35:20 AM »

Since they found this new version of "Surf's Up" on the Wild Honey tapes, one wonders what's took them to those tapes.  A re-release?Huh

I believe it was said a stereo mix was being prepared, but there were no plans for a release (at least not anytime soon). I would guess things are just being archived right now.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 11, 2011, 10:48:43 AM »

Lol, it's ridiculous to say Wild Honey doesn't have a psychedelic influence, or even psychedelic elements in it. Anyone with a pair of ears and can hear that.
Also, nice to see ghost is back, that guy is both funny and has some good opinions.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 11, 2011, 10:51:19 AM »

umm ill believe my best friend ghost is back when theres some moog talk
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: November 11, 2011, 12:02:08 PM »

If newguy is ghost, that proves that he's just a troll. I like to think ghost was a genuine poster with a questionable sense of humor.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 11, 2011, 12:22:43 PM »

I believe it was said a stereo mix was being prepared, but there were no plans for a release (at least not anytime soon). I would guess things are just being archived right now.

Capital did announce that more commemorative releases were coming.  No details yet.  Based on what their doing with Pink Floyd (well, EMI), and the superlative sales for Smile, I'm betting we'll see a new WH release in 2012.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
oldsurferdude
« Reply #185 on: November 11, 2011, 12:23:40 PM »

Lol, it's ridiculous to say Wild Honey doesn't have a psychedelic influence, or even psychedelic elements in it. Anyone with a pair of ears and can hear that.
Also, nice to see ghost is back, that guy is both funny and has some good opinions.
Maybe to  your ears and that's fine-WH wasn't psy when it was released and it's not now or ever will be to me. It was Brian's return to simplicity at the time according to the rock press. Generally straightforward tunes. What would you classify as psy on the album? Smiley
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:26:32 PM by oldsurferdude » Logged
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 11, 2011, 01:00:18 PM »

If newguy is ghost, that proves that he's just a troll. I like to think ghost was a genuine poster with a questionable sense of humor.
idk who ghost.. is maybe it's an inside joke between all of yall.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 11, 2011, 01:02:48 PM »

Maybe to  your ears and that's fine-WH wasn't psy when it was released and it's not now or ever will be to me. It was Brian's return to simplicity at the time according to the rock press. Generally straightforward tunes. What would you classify as psy on the album? Smiley

I'm not saying the album is psychedelic per se, but that it most definitely has psychedelic elements. For instance the use of reverb and compression on some of the songs, the use of theremins and mellotron, things like that. It's the same with 'Odessey and Oracle', it's not psychedelic in the same way as 'Aoxomoxoa' or 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn' (which obviously are psychedelic in two different ways) but it certainly has psychedelic elements.

In fact, Allmusic states that WH is a combination of Contemporary Pop/Rock, AM Pop, Sunshine Pop, Psychedelic, Psychedelic Pop.
http://www.allmusic.com/album/wild-honey-r1423

I agree.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 11, 2011, 01:05:03 PM »

idk who ghost.. is maybe it's an inside joke between all of yall.

Well, here you're definitely playing dumb because the guy's name is at the top of this thread and you see it everytime you click on it.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: November 11, 2011, 06:51:25 PM »

Then you never really listened to 50s R'n'B, etc., did you ? The only psychedeic thing about Wild Honey is Bruce's organ solo and even that could be discussed. Influence is another prospect but musicalley there's (almost) nothing psychedelic in the whole album

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 11, 2011, 07:03:58 PM »

The Wild Honey disc in my 70's vinyl two-fer with 20/20 sounds pretty dang good!
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 12, 2011, 01:56:29 AM »

I never thought about it before. "I'd love just to once see you" is like the original indiepop. It sounds exactly like early Death Cab for Cutie and Pavement.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 12, 2011, 03:11:42 AM »

Then you never really listened to 50s R'n'B, etc., did you ? The only psychedeic thing about Wild Honey is Bruce's organ solo and even that could be discussed. Influence is another prospect but musicalley there's (almost) nothing psychedelic in the whole album

Um, sure i have, but you are still wrong. See my post above.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 12, 2011, 07:06:36 AM »

The Wild Honey disc in my 70's vinyl two-fer with 20/20 sounds pretty dang good!
Yep, and it is Fake Stereo too. Probably why they split those two releases the way they did. SS (FS)/ Friends (ST), WH (FS)/20/20 (ST).

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: November 12, 2011, 07:20:33 AM »

I never thought about it before. "I'd love just to once see you" is like the original indiepop. It sounds exactly like early Death Cab for Cutie and Pavement.
what Death Cab or Pavement song sounds like "I'd Love Just Once to See You"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qNzY33S_jA

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 12, 2011, 07:24:56 AM »

I know I'm going rub people up the wrong way on this but whilst I really like Wild Honey, I dislike the title track. Carl vocals are scratchy and are grating to the ears. Its hard to believe it's the same  Carl that sang God Only Knows or even Cabinessence.

yeah i like the song a lot, i don't like his vocals.
linusoli
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: November 12, 2011, 07:39:12 AM »

It always bothers me when people draw these delineations to argue that BW abandoned psychedelia after Smiley Smile, and that Wild Honey is not a psychedelic record
I would maintain that once BW's music cracked into that impressionistic dimension sometime in 65, it remained psychedelic for a long time; just in increasingly subtle and homespun ways.
lyrically? not always. but musically? hell yeah!

psychedelic aspects on wild honey, off the top of my head:

"Wild Honey" the overall sound of the track, the wailing theremins and distant organs, and the stop and start rhythm, it's a very trippy song
"Aren't You Glad" the distant and yet burning tone of the horns, the way the organ buzz piles up, the weird edits between the verses and choruses
"I Was Made to Love Her" again, the overall sound of this thing, that fat bass just locked in with the low piano, while the tambourine and organ (?) hold up the high end, granted these are subjective analyses but i hear something very psychedelic indeed
"Country Air" should be so obvious. the way bruce's high vocal melts into that rooster. that burning organ buzz again, this time threatening to envelop everything. the weird verses that are almost free-form, whistle scat vocals. this song feels like a more controlled 'smiley smile' experiment
"A Thing or Two" one of the trippest songs on the album! the bizarro structure, the way some lines just end really early leaving weird stray guitar notes hanging by themselves in the ether, and then the hard edits into those choruses! The sound of that chorus is one of the fattest ever, that organ just envelops you and the piano/bass syncopated line is just wild
"Darlin" probably the least psychedelic piece on the album and perhaps as a result has always been my least favorite. beautiful song though and that "every night" bridge is as lovely as anything he ever wrote, and again scratching at that heart-rending impressionistic vein he could do so well
"I'd Love Just Once to See You" the overall cathedral like ambience, oddly juxtaposed against such a mundane concept and lyric. the weird hard edit at the end that drops a beat. the sudden fade just as the song feels like its opening up. all very psychedelic touches.
"Here Comes the Night" the intensity with which the choruses ascend up and down the chords, also that thick organ again that just renders your brain to mush. the hypnotic repetition.
"Let the Wind Blow" should be so obvious i'm not even gonna waste my energy. the most psychedelic thing on here.
"How She Boogalooed It" is just a silly song but with a lot of great period details!
"Mama Says" is obviously very psychedelic.

To argue that "Wild Honey" is "JUST" an R&B album is reductionist and oversimplistic in my opinion. Yes, BW was clearly trying to bring the band back to that raw emotion, screaming vocals around a pounded piano thing. but there was no going back from what he had learned. and these impressionistic masterstrokes are all over the record
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 12, 2011, 07:42:33 AM »

yeah i like the song a lot, i don't like his vocals.
Of all the Beach Boys songs that I initially didn't care for but now love, Wild Honey is near the top.  I still would love to hear a better mix (it always had a sound like there was a pillow over the speakers) and in stereo.  But I really like Carl's over the top, going beyond his range vocals.  It's a fun little song.  The theremin is vintage 1967, the cheesy organ solo is priceless, and the whole vibe of the song gets you moving.  I have never heard or seen it live, but I would think it would go over well if the singer could handle it.

And I agree with linusoli's breakdown of the tracks.  Wild Honey definitely has a bit of 1967 psychedelia all over the album!  Definitely toned down after Smiley Smile of course!
Will C.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 12, 2011, 07:49:04 AM »

I have never heard or seen it live, but I would think it would go over well if the singer could handle it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRbBPhodF4Q

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 12, 2011, 08:21:09 AM »

I don't find that organ solo cheesy. If anything, it is very funky, and I miss it every time I listen to a a stereo mix of the song. The Wild Honey album is a nice mix of many influences. Trying to pin it down to just one main one just doesn't do the album justice.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.