gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:58:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chord diagrams for God Only Knows?  (Read 5327 times)
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: August 01, 2011, 08:48:08 AM »

I have been googling for the chords to God Only Knows.  While I can find them all over the place I can't seem to find an instance that includes chord diagrams.  I am looking for the diagrams that look like a fretboard with dots on the appropriate spots, not the "320003" kind.  Does anyone have the chords and chord diagrams?

I do not want something where I will have to go to a website (saved on my computer or otherwise) to view them.

And while you are at it, do you have them for any other songs?  Maybe Caroline No, Good Vibrations, anything off of Pet Sounds?

Thanks,

mps

homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 06:04:43 AM »

I'm interested in this as well. At least if it's well done. I'm not 100 % pleased with the ones that are on the Cabinessence site for example.
Especially the Pet Sounds/Smile chord charts sometimes have tiny errors and missing important notes, which is irritating. These albums should be treated with more respect  Sad
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »

That's quite a request! Seriously, it would take a lot of time to diagram all of the chords in a song like God Only Knows let alone the others.

This tablature is accurate, I've played it and it works, the harmonies are correct, and it's from a guy named Andrew Rogers who did a lot of 60's classics in tab online back in the 90's. I fixed one thing in the bridge.

If there are any chords which anyone isn't sure of from this tab, I'll diagram those. The "slash chords" can be annoying to read, but if you play the chord as the symbol to the left of the slash, it works. Like the E/G#, that is the symbol for an E major with a G# note in the bass, also called the first inversion of the chord. Play a normal E major open and it works, since the bass player has the G# in their part, as would the keyboard. In many cases, that kind of slash chord can be played as the normal chord.

Check it out, thanks to Andrew Rogers back in the day:

"God Only Knows"
                      (Brian Wilson / Tony Asher)

Intro:
   A            E            A            E
   /  /  /  /   /  /  /  /   /  /  /  /   /  /  /  /

A           E/G#         F#m7
   /  /  /  /   /  /  /  /   /  /  /  /

winds arr. for gtr:
     v   v   v   v
   |-----------------|
   |-2------24-5-----|
   |-2------24-5-----|
   |-----------------|
   |-----------------|
   |-----------------|

bass:
     v   v   v   v
   |-----------------|
   |-----------------|
   |-----------------|
   |-0-----02-3------|

Verse 1:

D/A       Bm6
   I may not always love you
   F#m F#m7              F#m6/A
   But long as there are stars above you
   E/B       Cdim
   You never need to doubt it
   E/B             A#m7-5
   I'll make you so sure about it
   A              E/G#         F#m7       (E)
   God only knows what I'd be without you

bass (doubled w/piano):

v   v   v   v
   |-----------------|
   |-----------------|
   |-----------------|
   |-0-----02-3------|

Verse 2:

If you should ever leave me
   Though life would still go on believe me
   The world could show nothing to me
   So what good would living do me

Bridge:

winds/keyboard arr. for gtr:

v   v   v   v     v   v   v   v
   |-----9------5---9--|-7----10-----------|
   |-5--10-----5--10-|-8----10-8-6-5-3-|
   |-6------------------|-----------9-7-6-4-|   [2X]
   |---------------------|----------------------|
   |---------------------|-----------------|
   |---------------------|-----------------|

G/D          Em6         Bm/F#  Bm7   E7/D

A/E         Fdim          A/E         D#m7-5

D             A/C#         Bm

[repeat verse 2]

Coda:

A              E/G#         F#m7       E/G#
   God only knows what I'd be without you       (repeat to fade)

-- another ace 60's tab from Andrew Rogers

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 02:57:32 PM »

OK, here are the God Only Knows chords. I just diagrammed them by hand so it wouldn't take as long. I don't guarantee these are the same positions Carl or Al or whoever else used through the years, but the chords are accurate to the song.

I hope these help! You may need to enlarge this JPEG image after saving/printing it - let me know how it works out.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 08:11:27 PM »

OK, here are the God Only Knows chords. I just diagrammed them by hand so it wouldn't take as long. I don't guarantee these are the same positions Carl or Al or whoever else used through the years, but the chords are accurate to the song.

I hope these help! You may need to enlarge this JPEG image after saving/printing it - let me know how it works out.

Wow, thanks, just what I needed (both posts).  I was hoping someone would have them already written out, I didn't expect anyone to actually start fresh for me, but man, you did it, thanks again.

One of these days I'll have to give to this message board instead of always taking.

I really appreciate this.

mps

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 07:58:36 AM »

Wow, thanks, just what I needed (both posts).  I was hoping someone would have them already written out, I didn't expect anyone to actually start fresh for me, but man, you did it, thanks again.

One of these days I'll have to give to this message board instead of always taking.

I really appreciate this.

mps

That's very cool, I'm glad that helped out! It just happened that I had a break in the afternoon where I'd normally be out at that time, and I haven't played that chart for some time, so it was fun. I was playing it later last night too! The chord progression in that song is amazing. A masterpiece.

We had a discussion about Carl playing those on a 12-string: If some of those were higher voicings in bar chords, I think it would be very hard on the left hand to do that on a 12-string and have it sound as good, but that's what Brian had him do on the session. Interesting choice. I went with "open" chords for these, and when I can I'll try to watch some video of Al or Carl playing it live to see what they are using.

warnakey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 08:30:58 PM »

You guys are awesome. Not only did you give him what he asked for, you also taught him, so he'll recognize those chords next time and a few songs from now won't ever need a chord chart again. =]
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 08:43:21 PM by warnakey » Logged
warnakey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 08:42:46 PM »

I learned a lot about this song too. +1

I knew the chords on piano, but seeing them on a guitar is very eye opening to what Carl's fingers must have been going through every night of his life! hahahaha
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 01:56:18 PM »

I hate to possibly derail this, but here goes.  The chords for this song are, of course, interesting--but let's consider the difference between playing a solo version of this on guitar (or piano for that matter) and playing what they played on the record.  Much simpler chords and chord shapes will do if you're playing in an ensemble, because the bass takes care of all the bass notes.  Like, what is an a-sharp-minor-flat 5 overall can just be a C-sharp minor triad.  The bass playing the A-sharp makes it exotic.

So I think, depending on how you want to do it, you can simplify it, or more impressively play all the extended harmonies yourself.

It has taken me a few years to get playing the keyboard part down to the economic minimum.  In such a dense arrangement anyway, I think the keyboard players on the date were probably keeping it to three note voicings as much as possible with the exception of the diminished chords, maybe.

Anyway, there it is.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 02:34:24 PM »

I haven't had a lot of time to spend on playing this since the chords were posted.  However, I can tell you that even with a capo on the third fret (which is pretty much the default way I play guitar), I cannot quite reach the "G#" of the E/G#.  I don't think it is physically possible for me to play this chord.  As I always play alone I may not ever get that sound - which is too bad, as it sounds amazing.

Chad

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 04:46:02 PM »

I haven't had a lot of time to spend on playing this since the chords were posted.  However, I can tell you that even with a capo on the third fret (which is pretty much the default way I play guitar), I cannot quite reach the "G#" of the E/G#.  I don't think it is physically possible for me to play this chord.  As I always play alone I may not ever get that sound - which is too bad, as it sounds amazing.

Chad

You can play a regular E major chord open and it will fit just fine, as the bass covers the G# anyway. However there is a voicing, available if you play an open D major chord, move it up two frets, and place the pinky finger on the sixth fret of the D string. have that D string be the lowest note in the chord. That way you have the note G# in the bass of that E chord.

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 06:44:02 AM »

I play E/G# two ways, both picked rather than strummed: the first one is the same as guitarfooled posted above but with the thumb on the low E string on the fourth fret to get the G# in the bass. The other contains just two fingers: the index finger on the first fret of the G string and the pinky on the fourth fret of low E string. Your wrist may complain about that one, though.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
warnakey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 06:42:36 AM »

I might post a video of me playing this as written on the chord chart later.

CORRECTION: I played the chords on guitar here: http://youtu.be/NMgN0fME2ew
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 05:04:50 PM by warnakey » Logged
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 07:49:11 PM »

I wish that someone would go and transcribe every BB song to midi already.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 09:58:55 AM »

I play E/G# two ways, both picked rather than strummed: the first one is the same as guitarfooled posted above but with the thumb on the low E string on the fourth fret to get the G# in the bass. The other contains just two fingers: the index finger on the first fret of the G string and the pinky on the fourth fret of low E string. Your wrist may complain about that one, though.

Guitarfooled? What's that? Grin  If you prefer you can call me Craig.

The best voicings of chords like that can vary on the surrounding chords too, so you're not jumping around the neck too much or shifting the fingers more than necessary. Playing through Brian Wilson songs from 65-66 can be quite a challenge, and it's definitely not the surf-Chuck Berry three-chord rock which I think some players who aren't as familiar with that era of BB's music would assume it is.

Brian was writing advanced chords and chord changes as a general rule at this time, and it's fun/challenging to actually try to play them!

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 03:21:31 PM »

I wish that someone would go and transcribe every BB song to midi already.

I've been working on some Pet Sounds MIDIs over the years, but it is really a big job.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 02:48:46 AM »

Of course!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx