gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:53:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BW At The Arcada Theater, St Charles IL - 7/30  (Read 8567 times)
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2011, 09:50:34 AM »

In general terms it was the least favorite BW show I've seen. It has now raised the question in my mind - would I go see him again, especially if I have to pay $95.00 for a seat as I did last night?

First the venue - it was tacky for sure, actually kind of dumpy. The seating was makeshift, much of the high dollar seating was old beat up chairs set up in rows so close together you could barely walk between them.  The place reeked of popcorn - but not in a good way; popcorn popper smoke was mixing with the inadequate ventilation/air conditioning to make it into a smelly sweat box. The venue was simply too small for the 1000+ people jammed into it. The only redeeming factor was the sight lines seemed good - I was in the 5th row center so I was in good shape, but it appeared the whole theater had good views of the stage.

Second, the sound - in a word - poor. Some terrible speaker resonances got excited on some flute notes making a near painful noise. Congested, and lots of distortion. Brian WAY too low in the mix, Jeff's guitar WAY too high, drowning out most of the other instruments other than the keyboards and drums. It was really hard to hear Paul or Probyn as a result. It also seems like each BW show I go to is louder than the previous. This small theater was overwhelmed by the volume level. The results were what I described, lousy. Why the BW sound people feel like they have to jackhammer this music into the audience's ears is beyond me. It loses the subtlety and much of the nuance and beauty that make it different from say Foghat (who the promoter kept reminding us was gonna be there soon!!). It wasn't like this at the early tour shows. It seems as if sheer noise level has supplanted all else in terms of sound.

Third, the set list - with just a few exceptions, it was just the same stuff that gets played on every one of these tours. A few highlights:

- Catch A Wave (a personal favorite with the great vocal opening)
- The opening of the second set with the a cappella  fragment of Rhapsody In Blue, followed by Summertime, I've Got Plenty O' Nuttin', They Can't Take That Away From Me, (edited to add) I Got Rhythm, and Nothing But Love
- The songs with other band members taking the leads - Scott Bennett does a much better job than BW on Sail On Sailor, Darian absolutely NAILS Darlin', and hearing WIBN in the proper key with Jeff's lead is very nice.
- A couple of oldies not heard in a while - The Little Girl I Once Knew, Add Some Music, Pet Sounds (the instrumental)

The rest of the setlist - just fill in the blanks from prior setlists. Nothing from TLOS, only Heroes and Villains from BWPS, nothing from GIOMH, nothing from Imagination, nothing from BW '88, none of the singles (What Love Can Do, etc.). In fact IIRC nothing newer than Sail On Sailor.  Pretty mundane...

Fourth, the band - hot and cold, that's the only way I can describe it. Jeffrey was having a pretty poor night IMHO - he was off key as much as he was on, he was sharp on much of what he was singing. I was at one point wishing Matt Jardine was in the neighborhood... Darian was GREAT, as always, but no one else struck me as outstanding except maybe Mike D'Amico on drums (why he isn't miked for vocals escapes me??). To be fair, it was really hard to tell much about their playing, since the sound was bad and FAR too loud as I mentioned above. What it sounded like was they were playing simultaneously, not playing together. It was far from their best night.

The band REALLY misses Taylor. I mean REALLY! I didn't realize how important she was to the vocal blend until I heard the band without her. Her doubling of many of Jeff's parts really added a lot, without it JF didn't sound nearly as good. No one filled the void she left, and it was quite apparent.

Finally, Brian - at times he seemed engaged, and at other times he seemed so tired/lethargic/?? that I seriously wondered if he'd passed out - I am NOT exaggerating.  For the first time it struck me how old he looked.

He did noodle on the keyboard more than usual, but at least some of it wasn't really playing anything - it was just moving his hands on the keyboard as he's been known to do before. Vocally, he was okay, but he was so far down in the mix you couldn't hear him much of the time anyway. Overall, with the exception of a few spots in the show he really looked like he didn't want to be there.

As AGD has quite rightly said, while at one time BW could earn my cheers and praise just for being able to show up and get through a show, those days are long since past. Sadly, the St. Charles show seemed to be one that BW & crew simply wanted to get over with. Very disappointing...

« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:53:36 PM by Jim McShane » Logged
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 10:36:21 AM »

What it sounded like was they were playing simultaneously, not playing together.

That is a great way of describing what I saw last night. That mix was bad; a big jumbled up mess. I think part of the problem was the stage was too small for the number of people and their instruments, they were all shoulder to shoulder up there. I joked with my husband that must have been why Taylor isn't there, no room for her anymore. When the entire band was playing, it was almost impossible to hear Brian. Partly because of the mix and partly because he seemed really tired. The energy level of Brian, the band and the audience was off and on all night. Brian still sang well, save for a few flubs here and there, but he was not nearly as engaged as he was when I saw him last in Morgantown, Nov. 2009. It was overall a hot and cold show, but I still enjoyed myself.

I thought the set list was very good for a greatest hits show. Obviously we got all the regular stuff plus a few songs I hadn't heard them do before like Wendy, You're So Good To Me and Darlin'. I was surprised how much Gershwin stuff they did, I was honestly only expecting I Got Rhythm or They Can't Take That Away From Me, but we got both of those plus the Rhapsody Intro, Summertime, I Got Plenty O' Nothin' and Nothing But Love. I actually found the typical Brian thing of stepping up to the new songs not to be true this time. He seemed to stumble over the Gershwin lyrics more than anything else, especially Nothing But Love. Unfortunately, the audience did not really respond to the Gershwin stuff. I seriously heard some lady behind me ask "Oh, did he write this song?" when they started playing Summertime.

I know for me and my husband, yes we would see him again but hope we get a more appropriate venue for this band and Brian when he doesn't seem so exhausted.

After the show, we parked right behind the buses, so we decided to hang out just in case. Shortly after we got out there, Brian, Melinda, Jeff and the kids walked out, pizza boxes in hand and got on the bus. They all kind of waved at the dozen or so of us out there and that was that. The rest of band came out and did the same sort of thing and then they left. Apparently they signed autographs out there before the show, so we missed out. I did get a nice tour poster from the promoter though, which will go nicely with my other two  Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:40:06 PM by hart325 » Logged
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 11:01:13 AM »

I think part of the problem was the stage was too small for the number of people and their instruments, they were all shoulder to shoulder up there. I joked with my husband that must have been why Taylor isn't there, no room for her anymore.

Hee! I have seen them before on even more crowded stages, but that shouldn't affect the sound mix.

I thought the set list was very good for a greatest hits show.

I guess - but there are so many hits they never or almost never play... it's been essentially the same "greatest hits" show for 10 years. Thanks for reminding me about Wendy - I forgot about that being in the set.

Unfortunately, the audience did not really respond to the Gershwin stuff. I seriously heard some lady behind me ask "Oh, did he write this song?" when they started playing Summertime.

Where I was seated the reaction was really positive, and it sounded like that was what I heard from behind me. Of course there are always people who don't have any idea what is going  on - I'm sure some went home disappointed they didn't hear Kokomo.

I know for me and my husband, yes we would see him again but hope we get a more appropriate venue for this band and Brian when he doesn't seem so exhausted.

I think I'd probably agree - just because I've seen such magic from him and the band before and I'd be hoping to see it again. And I'd SURELY go if BW FIRED the sound people!
MBE
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 12:53:06 PM »

I didn't go as it wasn't a performance of the whole album. The first two times I saw him in 1999, and 2004, he did the oldies well. By 2008 he did the TLOS well, but the oldies were boring. I'm not going to see him again unless it's a complete LP being done.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 01:04:44 PM »

Just so I don't have to re-type what I posted elsewhere...

Brian personally seemed like his thoughts were elsewhere, but he still sang his heart out...great show. There were some problems during the first half, mainly the sound mix, but they were able to fix it eventually...but wow, really good show.

BTW, I too was disappointed that it was first advertised as a show in which they'd do the entire Gershwin album and then well after tickets were sold it was announced that it was a "greatest hits" show, but not disappointed enough to raise a huge stink about it. Having said that, it was still more than worth the price. Brian and the guys put on a great show...and they did half the Gershwin album. My only disappointment all night, really, was that I didn't get to hear Brian sing "I Loves You, Porgy" -- wow, he really nailed that tune in Toronto...but I did get to hear "Summertime," which was nothing short of divine.

Jeff pointed out someone in the crowd from Cheap Trick that I've never heard of. (That is, it wasn't Rick Nielsen.)

I have a feeling that a good deal of the crowd was composed of St. Charles residents rather than folks from the Chicago metro area...seemed like a lot of people who just plain go to shows at the Arcada, but you know what? They were all LOVING it. Seriously, I haven't seen so many standing ovations for Brian since 1999. He had everybody eating out of the palm of his hand.

Now...going back to the "greatest hits" vs "all of BWRG"...again, the resulting show did NOT disappoint. At all. But I can see why it wasn't a full Gershwin show. First of all, the stage didn't look like it would have been big enough to accommodate the extra musicians required. Second, I think the crowd was more of an "oldies" crowd than a "Brianista" crowd. It made sense to keep things a little less...esoteric, I guess. But still, it was an amazing show. The first set was almost an hour on the dot, and the second set was an hour and a half. And it was more than just "greatest hits" -- more like greatest hits, half of BWRG, and fan favorites. In addition to the usual fun-in-the-sun, "Good Vibrations," etc., there were things like "You're So Good To Me," "Sail On Sailor" (with a great vocal by Scott), "Add Some Music," and other not-so-well-known tunes...

And I almost accidentally stepped on Dylan on my way to the 'throom...really, I swear to God that kid strongly resembles Melinda...you'd swear he wasn't adopted! Smiley

Speaking of Dylan...Brian'n'Melinda's older daughters and Dylan were on stage during the encore, standing and dancing next to Jeff. Thought that was really cool to see.

But yeah...if you went to the show and are still p!ssed off about the show not including ALL of the Gershwin album, you're a b00b. I can't put it any better than that.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 01:42:46 PM »

Anyone has a complete setlist? Did they do "Wendy" before? I can't remember

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
John Malone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 03:25:58 PM »

The only thing I didn't care for was the venue. Cramped and hot. But the show was very enjoyable. But then again, I am not going in looking for things to complain about. Regarding Brian's show....it is what it is. A tribute to a legend. If I want to hear flawless versions, I stay home and fire up the CDs.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 05:38:12 PM »

Set list:

California Girls
Dance Dance Dance
Catch A Wave
Wendy
Then I Kissed Her
Little Deuce Couple
Surfer Girl
In My Room
Please Let Me Wonder
Row Row Row Your Boat
Don't Worry Baby
Salt Lake City
At The Drive-In
When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
You're So Good To Me
Do You Wanna Dance
Sail On Sailor
I Get Around
Do It Again

Intermission

Rhapsody In Blue/Intro
Summertime
I Got Plenty O' Nuttin'
They Can't That Away From Me
I Got Rhythm
Nothing But Love
Add Some Music To Your Day
The Little Girl I Once Knew
Darlin'
Pet Sounds
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
God Only Know
Heroes & Villians
Good Vibrations

first encore:
Johnny B. Goode
Help Me Rhonda
Barbara Ann
Surfin' USA
Fun Fun Fun

final encore:
All Summer Long
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 09:17:07 PM »

I've got to hear the "Sail on Sailor" with Scott vocal!

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 09:56:40 PM »

So Jeff is singing "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and Scott is singing "Sail On Sailor".  Is Brian actually singing anything?  :-)

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 05:22:12 AM »

Brian also said that night that "The Little Girl I Once Knew" was his favorite production that he ever did...that's a new one on me!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 07:09:36 AM »

So Jeff is singing "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and Scott is singing "Sail On Sailor".  Is Brian actually singing anything?  :-)
...and Darian is singing Darlin'. Could Brian possibly be singing the other 35 songs in the set? Honestly!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 07:20:38 AM »

I always said that we don't need Brian to sing every single word of every single song....and I do wish they'd trade vocals on "Add Some Music" like on the record...but yeah, it's cool to hear other voices. Darian's great on "Darlin'." Scott's a great singer, but I don't think his voice is a good match for "Sail On, Sailor;" I was really hoping to hear Darian do that one.

Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 10:13:27 AM »

According to the facebook posts from bw.com, it sounded like they were staying in the St. Charles area and took a bus to/from Grand Rapids for the show the day before.  That's roughly a 4-hour drive one way.  Even on a comfy bus, you won't get a lot of rest riding in a vehicle for 8 hours.  I don't expect Brian to be pristine all the time--I give the man credit for just getting out of bed every day--but that might explain why the band wasn't in top form.  But I still love them all, and I'm still thankful for the opportunity to see Brian in concert.  We're not going to have these opportunities forever.

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 10:09:56 AM »

...Jeff pointed out someone in the crowd from Cheap Trick that I've never heard of. (That is, it wasn't Rick Nielsen.)

That would be drummer Bun E. Carlos (you would recognize him from the early album covers as the mustachioed guy in spectacles and tie with the cigarette hanging from his lower lip). Sadly, he no longer tours with Cheap Trick...but that gives him time to catch Brian Wilson shows if he chooses.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 01:30:12 PM »

Thanks for the setlist hart325 !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 08:40:19 PM »

So...true story, earlier today a building just a block or so down the street from the Arcada Theater collapsed. We're guaranteed that Brian will never, ever play the Arcada ever again. Bad vibes.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-unstable-building-causes-traffic-issues-in-st-charles-20110809,0,5195793.story
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 08:43:46 PM by 37!ws » Logged

mpdsal
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 09:56:43 PM »

Sorry for being so tardy in responding to this. I'm new to the board and had some technical issues with getting my ID and password set up. But here I am.

I was at the Arcada show as well. It really is a charming old movie house built in the 1920’s that could probably use some work but it is a neat place and they don’t build these kinds of buildings anymore. Apparently the owners are staging live music events there now. Also I believe the capacity is 300 to 400. It probably seemed like a thousand people because of its size and I heard they sold some standing room only tickets. The owners really hyped this show because Brian used to live in St. Charles and also McCartney was in town for his shows at Wrigley. They figured because Paul and Brian are friends that Macca might just drop in. Of course it never happened but they sold the place out.

If you ever go to see a show at this place in the future never buy tickets close to the stage. I’ve been to a number of shows there and I find that the last five rows from the back of the hall are the best seats from a sound perspective. I made the mistake of sitting close to the stage for one show and the mix was horrible and moved to the back. From where I was sitting I thought it sounded great considering the size of the hall.

This is my second Brian Wilson show. I saw him 10 years ago when he played the Mohegan Sun arena. That was the tour with an orchestra that played instrumental versions of his songs as arranged by Van Dyke Parks. I wasn’t crazy about that part of the show. At any rate, I thought the musicians in this band were outstanding and the song selections were great. It was a much better concert than I anticipated as I read that earlier shows were heavy on the new Gershwin CD. The band seems to be composed of kids really. Incredibly talented kids. I defer to the members of this board who have seen other shows where they thought they sounded better. I can’t speak to that but I thought they played their hearts out at this show.

With all due respect, the show is a little strange in that it seems as though they just have Brian propped up there while the band plays all the songs with him singing some of the time. I also agree that they seemed to have him low in the mix. What I don’t understand is that we all know he can play piano, I mean he writes these songs using a piano but he never plays the piano on stage. He just rests his hands there. I think it’s just a prop to keep him comfortable. It’s clear that he is uncomfortable in a live setting. It makes me wonder if he really wants to be there.

I had the great fortune of being in the back of the venue when the tour bus arrived and managed to get an autograph from him. It was kind of strange really. He was assisted off of the bus by Jeff Foskett and he led BW to a roped off area where dozens of fans were waiting. Brian approached the crowd and he seemed distant, a blank expression on his face. Not even a smile. He didn’t say a word, he just went on signing whatever was put in front of him and he walked like a guy who was 90 not 69. I would figure at a minimum he could have said how’s everybody doing, thanks for coming, good to see you, anything really. Not a word. He seemed frail and he’s the same age as Paul McCartney and McCartney runs around the stage like he’s still in his 20’s, quite a contrast really. I’m sure the “lost years” inflicted a heavy toll.

It’s tragic really to see this person who created the music of a generation, someone who is revered by the very best in the industry and he seems like a shell of himself.  He was looking at a teleprompter the entire night and I hate to say it but even his infrequent banter with the audience seemed staged and read from a teleprompter as well. I was thinking the whole time if he is truly aware of where he is. It’s quite clear that he is a guy who prefers the solitude of the studio and perhaps enjoys the creation and recording process more so than performing.

All in all it’s quite clear that his fans truly love him and the audience was very enthusiastic offering several standing ovations. The whole time I was there all I could think of was here is a man who created some of the most beautiful music of all time  and being thankful for being in his presence while he is still present, even if he seems so far away.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 08:43:28 AM »

mpdsal -- welcome....glad to see your comments.

Your ending words about Brian's...disturbing...state? Well, that's exactly what I was referring to before...he really seemed out of it that night. I remember in the Smile documentary that Melinda said she can tell when he's performing if he's hearing voices, and I have a feeling that might have been what was going on with him that day...he rarely smiled or anything...

I think it just boils down to having bad days, good days, etc. I was at both the St. Charles show and the show he did the previous month in Toronto. While I think Brian's singing was some of the best he's done at BOTH shows, his overall personality was completely different. He was much more enthusiastic, talkative, silly, etc. in Toronto. From what I gather, his entire Canada tour was really, really good...I dunno, maybe he was getting bad vibes in St. Charles...or that it's the reception he got from the Canadians (if the rest of Canada was anything like Toronto, they all absolutely went bat$#!t over him!) that really fed his ego...but yeah, I agree with you.

mpdsal
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 01:29:50 PM »

BTW, the guy from Cheap Trick was the drummer Bun E. Carlos. I had a picture taken with him on his way out of the show. He doesn't look anything like he did when he was with Cheap Trick back in the day. In fact I don't believe he is playing with them anymore. He's from Rockford and still lives there. In fact I think the whole band was from Rockford. I don't know how Jeff was able to pick him out of the crowd but that was nice of him to recognize him.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011, 09:58:20 AM »

Could be that Jeff knows him personally. He also pointed out Andy Kim in the crowd at the Toronto show -- I'm pretty sure they recorded together before...but still, I felt icky being in the same room as Mr. "Rock Me Gently"....

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 10:45:33 PM »

Andy Kim`s not that bad. Sugar Sugar more than makes up for Rock Me Gently.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx