gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:40:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When I Grow Up (To Be A Man) COVER by rab2591  (Read 4425 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2011, 11:30:30 AM »

Hey fellow SmileySmilers!

I recorded a new cover today...I have been listening to 'When I Grow Up' constantly the last few days and decided to do a cover of it. I've come to the opinion that this is one of Brian and Mike's best songs. I changed the chords in the chorus a bit, and I also changed the rhythm of the playing so it sounds a bit more upbeat.

I really like how the coda turned out in this one, and it took a lot of time to get the harmonies right...Anywho, hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjOE8UATTI0

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 10:43:13 AM »

I like this, it's neat to hear how a change in the feel of the rhythm through the guitar can change the color of the song. This song for decades has been one of my Beach Boys favorites and it's nice to hear a cover version take it somewhere different than the original.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 11:32:48 AM »

Thanks!

I originally had the same rhythm as The Beach Boys version, but then I thought I'd change it to give it a more whimsical flavor.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »

I really like the backing track!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 06:37:24 PM »

Just finished recording this 10 minutes ago.

Excluding everything on Pet Sounds, out of all of Brian's work 'Still I Dream Of It' is my favorite song by him. And I thought I'd do my own take on it.

It's very modern sounding but I kept the overall mood of the song very much intact. Hope you like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNJlYZ6N1nk

kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 11:29:11 AM »

Man, I really like these two covers. Especially When I Grow Up - as a matter of fact, I've never really liked the original that but for some reason I love your, admittedly, more whimsical version. Very well done!  Smiley

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 04:10:30 PM »

Thanks!

ghost
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »

I like this, it's neat to hear how a change in the feel of the rhythm through the guitar can change the color of the song. This song for decades has been one of my Beach Boys favorites and it's nice to hear a cover version take it somewhere different than the original.

These my thoughts exactly. Now it is very pretty. The Beach Boys version to me sounds very buoyant you know, Brian was in a place with his productions then where he was getting this bouncy trippy sound in a sense. It's just like it gets so good that it takes off into space. It makes your brain fuse into Bill Tobelman consciousness. Only if you play it loud on speakers or a speaker. Headphones are kind of lame. I always felt Brian's music was meant to be blasted. You guys listening to classics like Cabinessence on headphones remind me of the Youtube video of David Lynch saying you can't watch a movie on a fukking phone. Cabinessence is a massive track. The chorus is immense. It would have caused earthquakes in 1967 if it were the main single.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 08:37:15 PM »

Good stuff!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 09:08:17 PM »

Thanks! I hope to have another one up by tomorrow.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 11:31:29 AM »

I forgot to say I liked these. But I like these!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 01:11:32 PM »

Loved both, especially "When I Grow Up."  The mark of a great song is when you can completely re-arrange it and have it still work.  The whimsical and sad vibe you gave it suits the song perfectly.  "Still I Dream of I" was quite trippy, I dug the reverb in the end of the bridge.  It almost sounded like an Owl City track, but it worked really well.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 01:50:29 PM »

Thanks hypehat, Chris Brown!

Listening back on 'I Still Dream Of It' I'm quite disappointed that I didn't listen to it without wearing my studio moniter headphones while mixing - half that song is the bass and you can't hear it on computer speakers haha.

richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 12:50:40 AM »

Very nice. Thumbs Up

ghost
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 11:43:01 AM »

I am loving this When I Grow Up cover right now, rab.

This should have been in I <3 Huckabees, lol.
adam78
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 01:11:26 PM »

Wow. Love this when i grow up cover! Great great job.

Totally agree that it could feature in a cool indie flick.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx