-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:10:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  An unfortunate side-effect of type 2 diabetes
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: An unfortunate side-effect of type 2 diabetes  (Read 1852 times)
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2011, 10:27:52 AM »

...which I had the relative misfortune of being diagnosed with a month or so ago.

So: you go through the whole education process, much of which involves completely re-analyzing your diet, and learning things like how careful you need to be with your feet from now on--taking care of them, avoiding punctures and blisters, blah blah blah...

So how does this relate to the Beach Boys? Well:

I now, as a result of this training, keep hearing "Take A Load Off Your Feet" from Surf's Up in my head.

Y,know: "Take good care of your feet...better watch out what you eat..." Etc. etc.

Pricking my finger isn't so bad compared to that! 8^)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 10:53:29 AM »

Man, that's bad news. Good old Al, though, to give you some musical support. Brian and the boys'll see you through----count on it. :=)   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 11:34:35 AM »

Yeesh, diabeetus can be tough. An ex has type 1 and my dad was recently diagnosed with type 2. Take care of yourself. Watch them carbs!

Eat lots of flax seed with your whole grain oats. And cinnamon!  Grin

Definitely don't take a load off your feet though. Get up & dance! Or just walk a lot.

How confident are you that your doctor gave you the necessary info to take the best possible care of yourself? My dad's doctor really dropped the ball and didn't tell him much of anything about diet aside from "no white foods." Refined grains, etc.

Also could you explain the blister popping deal? I've never heard of that. I'm guessing something to do with circulation & infections but am not completely sure.

No mas, por favor.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 01:32:27 PM »

How confident are you that your doctor gave you the necessary info to take the best possible care of yourself? My dad's doctor really dropped the ball and didn't tell him much of anything about diet aside from "no white foods." Refined grains, etc.

Also could you explain the blister popping deal? I've never heard of that. I'm guessing something to do with circulation & infections but am not completely sure.

The blister popping is about infection prevention. I'm a nutritionist and physiologist so I work a lot with diabetics and have seen people lose both legs and get gangrenous infections in their arms from what started as simple scrapes or cuts.

And, unfortunately, a lot of the information and education provided for new diabetics is really poor. Most people walk away from their doctor's office, or doctor recommended diabetes class more confused than ever. The best pieces of advice for new diabetics are to do cardiovascular exercise, eat at least every 3 hours and eat the proper macronutrient balance. Your calorie breakdown should look something like this: 55% carbs (non-refined grains + fruits and veggies) 30% fats (unsaturated as much as possible) and 15% protein. The biggest mistake many new diabetics make is not eating enough carbs. Carbs are the only fuel your brain uses and when you don't eat enough, or your insulin sensitivity gets so bad you can't use what you are eating, you begin to turn stored protein into glucose. This process leaves ammonia as a by-product, which in large amounts is poisonous to your body. This leads to diabetic ketoacidosis, which is deadly, in fact with diabetes is listed as a cause of death, it is actually ketoacidosis that does you in.

Sorry to be a downer with that last part, but I see so many clients who do not take this seriously at all. Hope any of this helps, stack-o-tracks, or anyone else!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: