gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:46:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Amy Winehouse  (Read 7948 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 08:23:48 PM »

You know what? I just realized that too. It's one of those long held myths that he died like Janis Joplin or something. I thought that too, until just now.
From Wikipedia:

Early on September 18, 1970, Jimi Hendrix died in London. He had spent the latter part of the previous evening at a party and was picked up at close to 03:00 by girlfriend Monika Dannemann and driven to her flat at the Samarkand Hotel, 22 Lansdowne Crescent, Notting Hill. From autopsy data and statements by friends about the evening of September 17, it has been estimated that he died sometime after 03:00, possibly before 04:00, but also possibly later, though no estimate was made at the autopsy, or inquest.[117]

Dannemann claimed in her original testimony that after they returned to her lodgings the evening before, Hendrix, unknown to her, had taken nine of her prescribed Vesparax sleeping pills. The normal medical dose was a half to one tablet as stated in the literature, but Hendrix was unfamiliar with this very strong Belgian brand. According to surgeon John Bannister, the doctor who initially attended to him, Hendrix had asphyxiated in his own vomit, mainly red wine which had filled his airways.[118] This statement, though, was written in January 1992, while Bannister was being investigated for malpractice and fraud (unconnected to Hendrix), to Shapiro a co-author who had published Electric Gypsy, a book in which Bannister had been accused of malpractice by Monika Dannemann in not performing a tracheotomy. He appears to have been using the amount of wine in his system as a reason for not performing a tracheotomy. He was reprimanded for two counts of medical malpractice, and struck off the medical register on 28 April 1992 for fraud.[119] No one else at the time, the other two doctors, the ambulance men, or the police mentioned wine. The only mention of wine was by Monika much earlier, in Electric Gypsy (which Bannister had read), and that Hendrix had drunk some with food earlier that evening and also by Harvey at his, again, much earlier party, which were both several hours prior to death. The autopsy found very little alcohol in his system. The autopsy never mentioned wine only vomitted matter.[120]

Until her death, Dannemann publicly claimed that she had only discovered that her lover had been sick at 11.00 a.m., but he was breathing, though unconscious and unresponsive (The ambulance was called at 11:18 and arrived 11.27). And that Hendrix was alive when placed in the back of the ambulance at approximately 11:30, and that she rode with him on the way to the hospital;.[121]

The ambulance crew later denied she was even there. However, Dannemann's comments about the timing of some events that morning often differed in places, varying from interview to interview.[122]

Police and ambulance statements reveal that there was no one but Hendrix in the flat when they arrived at 11:27 a.m., and not only was he dead when they arrived on the scene, but was fully clothed and had been dead for some time.[123]

Later, Dannemen claimed that former road managers Gerry Stickels and Eric Barrett had been present before the ambulance was called.[citation needed] and had removed some of Hendrix's possessions, including some of his most recent messages. Lyrics written by Hendrix, which were found in the apartment, led Eric Burdon to make a premature announcement on the BBC-TV program 24 Hours that he believed Hendrix had committed suicide. Burdon often claimed he had been telephoned by Dannemann after she discovered that Jimi failed to wake up.[124]

In 1996, Monika Dannemann committed suicide shortly after being found guilty of contempt of court for repeating a libel against Kathy Etchingham, who had been a girlfriend of Jimi's in the '60's.[125]

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2011, 08:47:59 PM »

With all due respect, Hendrix doesn't belong in that category. He never has and never will. It really annoys me that everybody and their brother in the media likes to throw him in with everybody else. He was 27 when he died though.

Belong in what category? He died at 27, had been arrested for possession of heroin and there are firsthand accounts of people railing what they thought was yay but turned out to be smack with him.

Never said he died of the stuff but he for sure dabbled with it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 08:49:56 PM by stack-o-tracks » Logged

No mas, por favor.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2011, 08:55:09 PM »

He was arrested for it, but the general belief is that it was planted on him. There are reports of him doing heroin, but they are from very questionable sources. There is no definitive proof that he ever did heroin. Cocaine, possibly. But his main thing was pot, hash and lsd.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2011, 03:57:02 AM »

The Wiki page re Jimi's death is full of errors. By all accounts (EMT, ambulance drivers, police, doctor at the hospital, etc.) Jimi had dead for several hours before he was placed in the ambulance..
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2011, 05:09:23 AM »

......so he doesn't belong in the category of rockstars who died when they were 27 how, exactly?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2011, 06:06:51 PM »

He doesn't belong in the typical "drug casualty" group with people like Janis Joplin or Jim Morrison. I never said he doesn't belong in the "club 27" thing.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2011, 06:14:30 PM »

He doesn't belong in the typical "drug casualty" group with people like Janis Joplin or Jim Morrison. I never said he doesn't belong in the "club 27" thing.

And no one said Hendrix was in a 'drug casualty' category. Someone just mentioned that he had dabbled in opiates.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2011, 06:19:01 PM »

Yes, and I'm saying that he doesn't belong in a list of people who have tried opiates.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2011, 06:30:48 PM »

But, perhaps we should leave that argument for another thread, considering the initial subject matter of this topic. I just don't want to appear disrespectful in such a serious subject as death. My thoughts and sympathy go to Amy's family. I hope they can find a definitive cause of their daughters death. Initial reports of today seem confused and contradicting.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2011, 06:34:58 PM »

Yes, and I'm saying that he doesn't belong in a list of people who have tried opiates.

Evidence? Correct me if i'm wrong, but I was under the impression that heroin is an opiate and that Hendrix had been arrested for being in possession of heroin.

Granted, this does not mean he used it, but I don't go walking around with drugs on my person unless I am going to be using them.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2011, 06:51:23 PM »

There is a good chance that he didn't know he was in possession of heroin. In all likelyhood, he was given a package by a fan and just threw it in his bag without looking at it.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2011, 07:06:30 PM »

Fair enough. However, he very well may belong on that list of people who have tried opiates....It's not outside the realm of possibility.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2011, 07:21:24 PM »

True. I guess we all want to think the best of our heroes.  Grin I was just going by what the man himself claimed in the court transcriptions.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2011, 07:48:30 PM »

How could anybody not see that she was literally DYING in front of everybody?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8puKtroKOo

Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2011, 08:00:57 PM »

Chemical dependence snatches another beautiful person way before her time. But the sad thing is the person with chemical dependence has to follow through with what they learn in treatment. There are no half measures in battling this terrible human tragedy called addiction. Many deaths are accidental, especially with benzos, alcohol, or opiates.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2011, 02:25:23 PM »

I've wondered about the 27 th year phenomenon.   I suspect that by 27, one has had some years to develop a tolerance and famous and/or wealthy entertainers have easy access to feed their addiction as it grows.  They dodge   treatment because they are seperated from circumstances that might land the common addict in a hospital or jail.  They are enabled by money and those who surround them.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2011, 02:24:02 AM »

I've wondered about the 27 th year phenomenon.   I suspect that by 27, one has had some years to develop a tolerance and famous and/or wealthy entertainers have easy access to feed their addiction as it grows.  They dodge   treatment because they are seperated from circumstances that might land the common addict in a hospital or jail.  They are enabled by money and those who surround them.

...well said. Despite attempts to keep every psychoactive substance far away from Amy in Belgrade, she managed to get totally sloshed before showtime. She really was ill, in the sense that she herself had no truthful perception any more as to how she came across to others. She even may have been severely deluded on stage in Belgrade, thinking that she was doing a good job. Also, her many statements in the past few years about 'having cleaned up' weren't credible, coming from a person on some tropical beach, giant spliff in hand.

I wonder: is that '27 year club' not just a figment of the imagination? Can't one create easily a '31 year club' also, with stars who died at that age?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2011, 02:42:24 PM »

...well said. Despite attempts to keep every psychoactive substance far away from Amy in Belgrade, she managed to get totally sloshed before showtime. She really was ill, in the sense that she herself had no truthful perception any more as to how she came across to others. She even may have been severely deluded on stage in Belgrade, thinking that she was doing a good job. Also, her many statements in the past few years about 'having cleaned up' weren't credible, coming from a person on some tropical beach, giant spliff in hand.

I wonder: is that '27 year club' not just a figment of the imagination? Can't one create easily a '31 year club' also, with stars who died at that age?

One website plotted death ages of famous musicians on a bell curve and found that in addition to 27, 38 and 67 were the other clusters.  John Bonham and Keith Moon were both 32.   A drummer 32 club. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2011, 05:38:44 PM »

The more I think about it, the more I can see a parallel between Amy Winehouse and Dennis Wilson. They both experienced a steady downfall of five or so years, and in the last year or so of their lives, it seemed like they were almost beyond help.

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2011, 06:38:26 AM »

The more I think about it, the more I can see a parallel between Amy Winehouse and Dennis Wilson. They both experienced a steady downfall of five or so years, and in the last year or so of their lives, it seemed like they were almost beyond help.

I think the difference here is that Winehouse started self-destructing almost at the beginning of her career; she was an unreliable performer and recording artist by the time her second album broke big. In a way, she is more similar to Kurt Cobain who appeared troubled from the beginning and unable to handle the early fame thrust upon him.

Dennis, on the other hand, had a 20+ year career before his passing; the self-destruction only starting to become apparent in the last six years of his life.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2011, 03:03:27 AM »

Sadder than hell. She really had the goods, she was gonna be one of the best of her time.

I cant help but to be heavily reminded of Janis Joplin, Hendrix, Morrison and others..

She will be remembered as much for what never got recorded as what did.

Alcoholic Girls cant metabolize booze and drugs through the liver as easily
as men, and run higher risks of dying young like this.

As someone involved with recovery, it is my view that Europe may be less
advanced in recognizing the steps necessary for treatment of alcoholism
than in the United States,

She should have been locked in a rehab unit with 24 staff for at least a year
and this would not have happened
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2016, 01:33:54 AM »

It's almost been 5 years since the tragic loss. Inspired by the film about Amy, RangaWagneR has created a Memorial double Haiku palindrome. [Tapir=a 'paper brand' OR ass/tapir=a Kind of mule if you prefer]:

->RIP at SS (Anon.)

EVEN Amy Winehouse, 'JIM'

'ROD' ... "La Péri" on >
                  ~
          Noir EP, AL.

Dormi, Jesu - O hen.  ("I:

Wyman, even on 'ass-tapir'?")<-

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2016, 02:35:27 AM »

It's almost been 5 years since the tragic loss. Inspired by the film about Amy, RangaWagneR has created a Memorial double Haiku palindrome. [Tapir=a 'paper brand' OR ass/tapir=a Kind of mule if you prefer]:

->RIP at SS (Anon.)

EVEN Amy Winehouse, 'JIM'

'ROD' ... "La Péri" on >
                  ~
          Noir EP, AL.

Dormi, Jesu - O hen.  ("I:

Wyman, even on 'ass-tapir'?")<-

Thank you, Rasmus. It took me quite a while to get into Amy's music (and appreciate her musical ability). I now love Back to Black and after the film I revisited Frank, which makes much more sense now, knowing her jazz-filled background. Cool album. But what a heart-breaking film...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 02:35:57 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx