gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:05:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which "Good Vibrations" sections are from which sessions on the single?  (Read 6133 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 11:49:37 AM »

The first Beach Boys session that Hal is known to have played on was "Hawaii". He played on "Our Car Club", but when it was "Rabbit's Foot", intended for The Honeys.

Brian started using the Crew en masse for BB sessions in early 1964 - "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" (1/7/64) doesn't have a single band member listed on the AFM sheet. Prior to that, the 11/18/63 session for the track that wound up as "Drive-In" definitely used a sax player who wasn't Mike, as did the "Spirit Of America" session.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 12:04:27 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2011, 11:58:21 AM »

Right but on Hawaii he's not the drummer, DW on drums, Hal on percussion. This is the case on more things than people realize.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2011, 12:07:25 PM »

Sorry, right - "WDFFIL" is the first documented session Hal drummed on, although I'd make a case for the single version of "Be True To Your School" as being the very first non-DW drumming.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2011, 12:16:38 PM »

So this is yet another example of something we thought we knew about the Beach Boys proving not to be the case ?
(have just checked www.carolkaye.com and GV is listed as one of the "bass hits" she played on, maybe she's not even aware that her playing isn't on the final cut ?)

CK is also listed on her own site as playing on "Surfin' USA" , "Surf City" and "The Little Old Lady From Pasadena". She didn't: the AFM sheets for these sessions don't list her.

What I think happened here is that, along with other "Crew" members, she played on the many cover versions that sprang up in the wake of the hit originals and over the years has come to assume they were the hits. Hal Blaine claims to have drummed on "Surfin' USA": the AFM sheets says not. As for "GV", there's no disputing that she played on some of the sessions... but according to someone who's studied the track sessions in minute detail, if she's on the released hit single version at all, it might be for 5 seconds of the fade.

Here's the GV track session dates, and CK's involvement (or not):

2/17 - no

4/9 - yes

5/4 - no
5/24 - yes
5/25 - no
5/27 - no

6/2 - (Inspiration) no
6/2 - (Inspiration) no
6/12 - (Inspiration) no
6/16 - no
6/16 - no
6/18 - yes

9/1 - no

I don't want to spoil the party, so Ill just say this:  just 'cause Carol's on a GV or SMiLE session, doesn't mean she's the bass player (or even one of the bass players).  Smiley
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2011, 12:19:55 PM »

Sorry, right - "WDFFIL" is the first documented session Hal drummed on, although I'd make a case for the single version of "Be True To Your School" as being the very first non-DW drumming.
Brian's finger and Frank DeVito are not going to like that.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2011, 12:26:44 PM »

Brian's finger and Frank DeVito are not going to like that.

Pedant.  LOL

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2011, 12:28:30 PM »

So this is yet another example of something we thought we knew about the Beach Boys proving not to be the case ?
(have just checked www.carolkaye.com and GV is listed as one of the "bass hits" she played on, maybe she's not even aware that her playing isn't on the final cut ?)

CK is also listed on her own site as playing on "Surfin' USA" , "Surf City" and "The Little Old Lady From Pasadena". She didn't: the AFM sheets for these sessions don't list her.

What I think happened here is that, along with other "Crew" members, she played on the many cover versions that sprang up in the wake of the hit originals and over the years has come to assume they were the hits. Hal Blaine claims to have drummed on "Surfin' USA": the AFM sheets says not. As for "GV", there's no disputing that she played on some of the sessions... but according to someone who's studied the track sessions in minute detail, if she's on the released hit single version at all, it might be for 5 seconds of the fade.

2/17 - no

4/9 - yes

5/4 - no
5/24 - yes
5/25 - no
5/27 - no

6/2 - (Inspiration) no
6/2 - (Inspiration) no
6/12 - (Inspiration) no
6/16 - no
6/16 - no
6/18 - yes

9/1 - no

I don't want to spoil the party, so Ill just say this:  just 'cause Carol's on a GV or SMiLE session, doesn't mean she's the bass player (or even one of the bass players).  Smiley

True, but I'm trusting the guy who sent me a nicely detailed session breakdown a few years ago. Seems to know his stuff.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2011, 01:21:29 PM »

2/17 - no

4/9 - yes

5/4 - no
5/24 - yes
5/25 - no
5/27 - no

6/2 - (Inspiration) no
6/2 - (Inspiration) no
6/12 - (Inspiration) no
6/16 - no
6/16 - no
6/18 - yes

9/1 - no

True, but I'm trusting the guy who sent me a nicely detailed session breakdown a few years ago. Seems to know his stuff.

The stuff he knows is subject to change, based on access to previously un-accessible stuff.  The stuff legends are made of.  Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx