gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 08:23:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love was right about everything.  (Read 10734 times)
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2011, 01:31:43 PM »

I suspect if there was, in sheer volume, the same amount of dredging up of shitty things Brian said or did as there are for Mike (and maybe there are but I'm unaware of 'em) there'd be a lot less hagiography going on. Seems to me a lot more people are willing to be charitable to Brian for whatever reason while not extending the same courtesy to Mike.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2011, 01:37:22 PM »

This is only a generalization, but there will always be two competing groups of Beach Boys fans.  One group is drawn by complex albums like Pet Sounds and Smile and is fascinated by Brian.  The other group, like Real Beach Boy and a number of others, seem to value mainly the fun-in-the-sun, good time stuff, and don’t care too much about the sophistication of the music.

It’s not too surprising that each group’s perceptions of Mike are very different.

I think most of us love Pet Sounds and the fun-in-the-sun material (for most of us here see the sophistication in even the corniest of songs). However it's sad and true that when you mention to an acquaintance "Yeah, I love the Beach Boys!" their response will usually be "I LOVE kokomo!" I'll say "Have you ever heard Pet Sounds?" And their response is usually "That's a funny name for an album."

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2011, 01:40:37 PM »

Well, I love Kokomo too  Grin
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2011, 01:41:29 PM »

No, we like The Beach Boys as a whole and take a balanced view of the band.

I don’t disagree that there are people who take that “balanced” approach to the band.  That’s why I qualified my comment to be a generalization.  But there are many, many people who fall squarely in one camp or another.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011, 01:43:16 PM »

Despite what everyone says, Mike Love ain't a good frontman. I do not accept that as a reason for liking him. Lyricist, bass singer, lead singer, yes. Frontman, no.

His jokes are crap, he waffles on for hours inbetween songs (in Sycaruse 1971 show the crowd tell him to shut up!), he ruins songs by doing crap jokes (GV on Live In London, for example), he can't dance, his choice of stage wear since he got his own say has varied from robes to turbans to hawaiian shirts and shorts, and he wears a baseball cap constantly. He's not a 'good' frontman, he was the only frontman in a band who were really shy onstage. And Dennis, who was just far away.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:45:50 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2011, 01:46:46 PM »

I don’t disagree that there are people who take that “balanced” approach to the band.  That’s why I qualified my comment to be a generalization.  But there are many, many people who fall squarely in one camp or another.
No, you also said there are two competing groups. I say there is at least a third one who takes a balanced view and likes all eras of the band and music.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 01:47:32 PM »

Despite what everyone says, Mike Love ain't a good frontman. I do not accept that as a reason for liking him. Lyricist, bass singer, lead singer, yes. Frontman, no.

His jokes are crap, he waffles on for hours inbetween songs (in Sycaruse 1971 show the crowd tell him to shut up!), he ruins songs by doing crap jokes (GV on Live In London, for example), he can't dance, his choice of stage wear since he got his own say has varied from robes to turbans to hawaiian shirts and shorts, and he wears a baseball cap constantly. He's not a 'good' frontman, he was the only frontman in a band who were really shy onstage. And Dennis, who was just far away

OK, so what inarguable unassailable opinion do you have of what makes a "good frontman" if the guy who's been doing it professionally for 40 years aint it?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2011, 01:47:42 PM »

I suspect if there was, in sheer volume, the same amount of dredging up of sh*tty things Brian said or did as there are for Mike (and maybe there are but I'm unaware of 'em) there'd be a lot less hagiography going on. Seems to me a lot more people are willing to be charitable to Brian for whatever reason while not extending the same courtesy to Mike.

We're charitable towards Brian because we all see him as being a tortured genius. He hears sh*t in his mind, he is afraid of water, he has severe stage fright. Because Brian is mentally unstable we all assume that Mike should be the cool-headed mature one...and when Mike sues his mentally ill cousin people get pissed...no matter how logical or illogical the lawsuit is.
______

Anyone know what Mike's attitude was towards Van Dyke Parks recording vocals on 'A Day In The Life Of A Tree'? Was Mike cool with it?

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 01:50:03 PM »

Well, I love Kokomo too  Grin

Grin I'm a closet Kokomo fan myself. It's a great song in my opinion - including the sax solo.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 01:51:57 PM »

OK, so what inarguable unassailable opinion do you have of what makes a "good frontman" if the guy who's been doing it professionally for 40 years aint it?

You'd think after 10 years of doing it he wouldn't be such a twat onstage as to talk over his own songs, bore the audience to death chatting about TM lectures, and have to be politely nudged to shut up about Paul McCartney as the band are trying to play a song on national televison. right?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2011, 01:52:42 PM »

His jokes are crap, he waffles on for hours inbetween songs (in Sycaruse 1971 show the crowd tell him to shut up!), he ruins songs by doing crap jokes (GV on Live In London, for example), he can't dance, his choice of stage wear since he got his own say has varied from robes to turbans to hawaiian shirts and shorts, and he wears a baseball cap constantly. He's not a 'good' frontman, he was the only frontman in a band who were really shy onstage. And Dennis, who was just far away.
Says you, and that is fine, but it is your opinion only. I never thought him a great one, but I do think him a very good one. I'll bet you he was even good enough that the most average of fan knows his name more than anyone else in the band, including Brian.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2011, 01:54:29 PM »

I also took it for granted everyone assumed it was only my opinion.....

oldsurferdude
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2011, 01:55:29 PM »

Pirate High Five Rock! Love Happy Dance Kiss w00t! Thumbs Up Hello Hug Serenade
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2011, 01:56:38 PM »

His jokes are crap, he waffles on for hours inbetween songs (in Sycaruse 1971 show the crowd tell him to shut up!), he ruins songs by doing crap jokes (GV on Live In London, for example), he can't dance, his choice of stage wear since he got his own say has varied from robes to turbans to hawaiian shirts and shorts, and he wears a baseball cap constantly. He's not a 'good' frontman, he was the only frontman in a band who were really shy onstage. And Dennis, who was just far away

Well, obviously a guy who makes good jokes, man who doesn't waffle for hours in between songs, a guy who can dance, a non-turban-wearing/hawaiian/base-ball-player. This leaves one person.

WAYNE NEWTON FOR BEACH BOYS FRONTMAN.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2011, 01:56:45 PM »

You'd think after 10 years of doing it he wouldn't be such a twat onstage as to talk over his own songs, bore the audience to death chatting about TM lectures, and have to be politely nudged to shut up about Paul McCartney as the band are trying to play a song on national televison. right?

But that stuff's FUNNY! Just my opinion, but because of all the good stuff Mike did with the band, all his contributions, it's not a lost fact how important he was, if only (in some people's minds) as a tool for Brian to work with. Therefore all his corny stuff and just-plain-wrongness can be endearing. Mike's like a messed up family member who you worry about letting out of the house, but still you love them, so you let them do their thing and just be who they are..... But when it comes down to it, Mike got his business done.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2011, 01:59:08 PM »

......... for liking him. Lyricist, bass singer, lead singer, yes. Frontman, no.

Roll Eyes

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2011, 02:01:05 PM »

But that stuff's FUNNY! Just my opinion, but because of all the good stuff Mike did with the band, all his contributions, it's not a lost fact how important he was, if only (in some people's minds) as a tool for Brian to work with. Therefore all his corny stuff and just-plain-wrongness can be endearing. Mike's like a messed up family member who you worry about letting out of the house, but still you love them, so you let them do their thing and just be who they are..... But when it comes down to it, Mike got his business done.

I respect that, it's just everyone goes 'yeah, he's a great frontman' and, well, he ain't. He's cornball. But he's our cornball.  Grin

I'm obviously just meanspirited tonight, fellas.
UNLEASH THE LOVE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP73ZMGiXC8

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2011, 02:01:13 PM »

Sounded like a fact to me. Come on, no need to get pissy about it. Challenge my front man opinion, not that I mistook what you meant, like I'm a mind reader. IMO would work nicely, and hardly any extra typing required. I'll state this next thing as opinion, but it is most likely a fact; Mike Love was, is and will continue to be the face of The Beach Boys. Good frontmen usually are...discuss. Wink
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 02:03:09 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2011, 02:04:39 PM »

Good frontmen usually are...

Prince  Wink

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2011, 02:04:56 PM »

Quite possibly the most coherent reply oldsurferdude has ever contributed to this forum!!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2011, 02:06:31 PM »

Good frontmen usually are...

Prince  Wink

Absolutely, but Price does help prove that questionable fashion choices are not limited to Mr. Love!
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2011, 02:07:09 PM »

No, you also said there are two competing groups. I say there is at least a third one who takes a balanced view and likes all eras of the band and music.

Uh, this was my post:

This is only a generalization, but there will always be two competing groups of Beach Boys fans.  One group is drawn by complex albums like Pet Sounds and Smile and is fascinated by Brian.  The other group, like Real Beach Boy and a number of others, seem to value mainly the fun-in-the-sun, good time stuff, and don’t care too much about the sophistication of the music.

It’s not too surprising that each group’s perceptions of Mike are very different.

Check the first five words.
Jason
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2011, 02:10:40 PM »

This is only a generalization, but there will always be two competing groups of Beach Boys fans.  One group is drawn by complex albums like Pet Sounds and Smile and is fascinated by Brian.  The other group, like Real Beach Boy and a number of others, seem to value mainly the fun-in-the-sun, good time stuff, and don’t care too much about the sophistication of the music.

Don't presume to tell me what I "seem to value" with regards to the Beach Boys. If you even read my posts on here you'll find that I heap tons of praise upon Pet Sounds, Smile, Smiley Smile, Friends, Sunflower, and Love You along with the fun-in-the-sun material. I would suggest that in future you at least be in possession of a convincing argument to back up your ridiculous remarks and refrain from hiding behind such g*ddamned nonsensical "generalization' terminology that you use to mask your lack of said argument.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 02:12:45 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2011, 02:11:08 PM »

I don’t disagree that there are people who take that “balanced” approach to the band.  That’s why I qualified my comment to be a generalization.  But there are many, many people who fall squarely in one camp or another.

Uh, this was my post:

Check the first five words.
and you read the following eight.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2011, 02:14:01 PM »

This is only a generalization, but there will always be two competing groups of Beach Boys fans.  One group is drawn by complex albums like Pet Sounds and Smile and is fascinated by Brian.  The other group, like Real Beach Boy and a number of others, seem to value mainly the fun-in-the-sun, good time stuff, and don’t care too much about the sophistication of the music.

That's like a serious kick to the balls. The Real Beach Boy is a Beach Boys fan, period. He is a walking, breathing, living Beach Boys encyclopedia and most of all, you can tell he loves the music.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx