gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:31:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love was right about everything.  (Read 10696 times)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2011, 12:21:16 AM »

Let's face it. That's the current consensus of the board. You all want to be so iconoclastic so bad that you let the poles shift under your own watch! Our discussions have transitioned from praising "Brian, the psychedelic genius", to hailing "Mike, the logistic leader" (because Brian got played out). Screw that. Y'all have lost your minds. Take a deep breath and reassess the situation.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 12:50:33 AM »

Wait, what?

No mas, por favor.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 02:07:39 AM »

Let's face it. That's the current consensus of the board. You all want to be so iconoclastic so bad that you let the poles shift under your own watch! Our discussions have transitioned from praising "Brian, the psychedelic genius", to hailing "Mike, the logistic leader" (because Brian got played out). Screw that. Y'all have lost your minds. Take a deep breath and reassess the situation.

Have to say I agree. You can't indulge in a good old fashioned bit of Mike bashing on this board without getting it in the neck.

I have reassessed my opinion of him somewhat in the last few years. Like a lot of people I was taken in by the anti Mike propaganda which has arisen from the BW camp over the years. Certainly his "autobiography" had a lot to do with shaping my opinion of Mike, and even when that book was proven to be spurious, my opinion of Mike was set.

Recently I have read a few things, quotes from Mike, and stuff on this board, which has softened my opinion of him as the arch villain of the story. However I still regard him as a rather unpleasant individual, and this is based on how he portrays himself in interviews and actions.

I do think he had an influence on the image of the band in the early days.

I don't think he was a particularly strong  lyricist

I do think that he owes his career and lifestyle to Brian

I don't think he realises that.

But then families are strange, combustible things where emotions often obscure rationality. I can't imagine playing out petulant family rows on a public stage. For this reason alone I tend to judge him less harshly now.

He's a knobhead

But he's our knobhead
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 04:34:49 AM »

It does seem weirdly pro-Mike around here sometimes, like people are trying to be "ironic."

Here's my current opinion of Mike.
--I don't like his personality. I think he's kind of a jerk, based on certain things he's said over the years.
--I don't think he's a particularly great lyricist. His best lyrics are merely decent. His worst lyrics are embarrassing, and I resent that his standards can be so low.
--I don't like when he refers to "my cousin Brian." Yes, Mike, we know. He's your cousin.
--I don't like his passive aggression when referring to Brian or Dennis. Genius, but he has a lot of problems. Wrote some good music, but he got mixed up in drugs. It would be nice just to hear the good stuff every now and then. Dennis died, so I think we as the public understand that he had problems.
--His clothes and nasality get on my nerves. Petty, but true.
--I do think that without Mike, the group wouldn't be as famous. Mike was the voice and the face of the group in the early days and is again now.
--In some cases, Mike's "merely decent" lyrics were just what the doctor ordered. Those were the hits.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 07:29:39 AM »

The only big defense of Mike here, is that he wasn't the devil incarnate when it comes to singlehandedly destroying Smile. Mike has always reminded me of being like a Eddie Haskel type of smart-ass. He's not a guy that I would have pal'd around with as a kid.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 08:03:50 AM »

The only big defense of Mike here, is that he wasn't the devil incarnate when it comes to singlehandedly destroying Smile. Mike has always reminded me of being like a Eddie Haskel type of smart-ass. He's not a guy that I would have pal'd around with as a kid.
I have a "friend" that is like Mike who is kinda annoying and thinks he is awesome like Mike does. He also doesn't realise he is annoying and makes weird choices in life actions or speech like Mike does. I also have have a love-hate friendship with him like Brian and Mike have.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 08:27:06 AM »

To correct something that was never true in the first place isn't being ironic. He needs to own his actual crap just like Brian needs to own his actual crap. To me a more balanced view has been achieved instead of the rabid one sidedness that used to rule.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
mtaber
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 08:50:05 AM »

My opinion of Mike Love is that he's is a narcissistic hole who will hurt others very badly without giving it a second thought.  I can't give specific details but base this on personal experience of a friend who is no longer with us...
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 09:01:21 AM »

My opinion of Mike Love is that he's is a narcissistic hole who will hurt others very badly without giving it a second thought.  I can't give specific details but base this on personal experience of a friend who is no longer with us...
You mean Dennis? I think Dennis handled his relationship with Mike just fine. When he didn't and things got a bit out of hand, Dennis took care of that by marrying his illegitimate cousin. I'd say Dennis could handle what Mike dished out in one way or another, good or bad.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jason
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 09:23:05 AM »

My opinion of Mike Love is that he's is a narcissistic hole who will hurt others very badly without giving it a second thought.  I can't give specific details but base this on personal experience of a friend who is no longer with us...

"I can't give specific details" = "I have no specific details therefore I have no argument"
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 09:32:40 AM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 10:42:38 AM »

I wonder if Mike or his associates read these boards as Brian or Al and their people sometimes are said to do!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 10:46:52 AM »

I wonder if Mike or his associates read these boards as Brian or Al and their people sometimes are said to do!
The ultimate thread on this board would be if Mr. Love himself joined and chatted with oldsurferdude and others.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jason
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 10:47:56 AM »

Michael has gone on record several times stating that he just doesn't care what people think about him. He made his decisions, he's able to live with them, and he is who he is. That's the impression I get from him. I'd say he's much more balanced as a result. More power to him. He has a clearer conscience than most of the fanbase, and that's not much of a stretch.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 10:51:36 AM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 11:01:53 AM »

He can laugh all the way to the bank because the people who take the time to hate him are the same people buying Beach Boy records - thus allowing him to live quite lavishly.

I used to be on the "Mike is a douche" bandwagon...then I realized I have never met the guy and honestly don't fully understand the context of his more publicly known supposed acts of stupidity (the lawsuits, SMiLE involvement, etc)....and thus have no valid reason to hate him.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
mtaber
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 11:34:09 AM »

I stated my opinion of Mike Love earlier.  I was not referring to Dennis in my post.  I was referring to a friend who was treated very badly by Mike many years ago.  This friend died shortly after the situation with Mike took place.  I won't go into elaborate details but feel my opinion is valid, based on my experience.    If you don't agree with my opinion, that's your business. 
rogerlancelot
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 11:45:14 AM »

Mike Love looks much better with his pants on. Remember when him and other members of the group used to wear those incredibly tight short shorts? I'm glad that those went out of vogue.....

theCOD
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 11:49:25 AM »

I don't care enough to hate him, but I do think Brian and The Beach Boys would have been better off without him.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 11:55:18 AM »

I stated my opinion of Mike Love earlier.  I was not referring to Dennis in my post.  I was referring to a friend who was treated very badly by Mike many years ago.  This friend died shortly after the situation with Mike took place.  I won't go into elaborate details but feel my opinion is valid, based on my experience.    If you don't agree with my opinion, that's your business.  
No problem. Believe anything you like. You worded it such that it sounded like Dennis. I neither agree nor disagree since you've given an example with exactly no information from which to base an opinion.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jason
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 12:09:14 PM »

I stated my opinion of Mike Love earlier.  I was not referring to Dennis in my post.  I was referring to a friend who was treated very badly by Mike many years ago.  This friend died shortly after the situation with Mike took place.  I won't go into elaborate details but feel my opinion is valid, based on my experience.    If you don't agree with my opinion, that's your business. 

"I have no excuse, sir." - Van Dyke Parks
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 12:44:37 PM »

Mike was The Voice on most of the early BB hits and many later ones. The BB would not have been the BB without Mike, I feel. He wrote some excellent lyrics and Brian could make great use of him and his bass voice in the studio. I can't comment on him as a person as I don't know him personally.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 12:54:30 PM »

It does seem weirdly pro-Mike around here sometimes, like people are trying to be "ironic."

Here's my current opinion of Mike.
--I don't like his personality. I think he's kind of a jerk, based on certain things he's said over the years.
--I don't think he's a particularly great lyricist. His best lyrics are merely decent. His worst lyrics are embarrassing, and I resent that his standards can be so low.
--I don't like when he refers to "my cousin Brian." Yes, Mike, we know. He's your cousin.
--I don't like his passive aggression when referring to Brian or Dennis. Genius, but he has a lot of problems. Wrote some good music, but he got mixed up in drugs. It would be nice just to hear the good stuff every now and then. Dennis died, so I think we as the public understand that he had problems.
--His clothes and nasality get on my nerves. Petty, but true.
--I do think that without Mike, the group wouldn't be as famous. Mike was the voice and the face of the group in the early days and is again now.
--In some cases, Mike's "merely decent" lyrics were just what the doctor ordered. Those were the hits.

There is no such thing as irony in Beach Boys land.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 12:59:42 PM »

And I think this is what really gets under people's skin about Mike and they hate him for it. He's not the best looking guy in the world or with an even remotely workable fashion sense, but he is confident and couldn't care less what all the message board posters/authors/historians/oldsurferdudes in the world have to say about him good or bad..... He was/is a great frontman with a natural knack for it and he's never once tried to be ironic. He really believes in The Beach Boys. Maybe the corny aspect of them a bit too much, but it still counts in a big way.......

and that he even managed to battle Dennis for girls in any capacity is really saying something too....

..... he also saved David Marks from falling to his death from a balcony.... Can we give him a high five for THAT if nothing else?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:03:26 PM by Erik H » Logged
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 01:19:21 PM »

This is only a generalization, but there will always be two competing groups of Beach Boys fans.  One group is drawn by complex albums like Pet Sounds and Smile and is fascinated by Brian.  The other group, like Real Beach Boy and a number of others, seem to value mainly the fun-in-the-sun, good time stuff, and don’t care too much about the sophistication of the music.

It’s not too surprising that each group’s perceptions of Mike are very different.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 01:21:21 PM »

No, we like The Beach Boys as a whole and take a balanced view of the band.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2011, 01:30:38 PM »

Or we see it all as one and the same. the fun fun fun stuff counterbalances/informs the darker stuff and vice versa. The Beach Boys are a true three dimensional entity and should be embraced as such if one cares to fully appreciate them.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx