gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 08:28:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best version of Wouldn't It Be Nice from Pet Sounds. Mono vs. Stereo mix?  (Read 7802 times)
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2011, 04:59:16 AM »

For 26 years I heard the mono version on various vinyl and CD releases. Then I heard the stereo version in 1996 and was BLOWN OUT!!!
Not even a second thought about it.
Same here. No contest. Its like finally having sex without wearing a condom.

Classic!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2011, 12:23:04 PM »

Stereo for me...and with Brian on the bridge instead of Mike.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2011, 01:04:41 PM »

The stereo mix is revelatory, wouldn't be without it... but the mono mix is what Brian released, and once you've listened to the stereo, the mono opens up too.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2011, 01:15:53 PM »

Listening to the mono mix on the radio, I'm assuming a single version (?) of the song, is unreal. I LOVE the stereo version, but it doesn't have that mono presence.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2011, 01:38:49 PM »

Well this is my favorite BB song, so I enjoy all versions, but I'm partial to Brian's mono mix especially of this song because it's very Spector-ish, you can tell what Brian was going for. The people that did the stereo mix did a superb job but even they'd admit mono is the pure version.

I do, however, appreciate all the different viewpoints. Hearing the stereo opens everything up and let's you deconstruct the song easier.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2011, 10:11:09 PM »

Here's an interesting experience: take the stereo Wouldn't It Be Nice, but it into Audacity or whatever audio workstation you're using, and press "Convert Stereo to Mono".
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2011, 12:50:36 PM »

What CD contains the stereo version of WIBN and does Mike or Brian sing the bridge?
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2011, 02:13:50 PM »

What CD contains the stereo version of WIBN and does Mike or Brian sing the bridge?

Both CD issues of PET SOUNDS from Capitol (the 2000 one and the 2006 40th Anniversary edition) contain the stereo version (as well as the mono version) of WIBN with Mike on the bridge. The PET SOUNDS SESSIONS BOX SET (1996) also contains both stereo and mono versions, but with Brian on the bridge of the stereo one*.

*Originally, Mark L. didn't think he could include Mike's bridge vocal in the stereo mix because he is missing from the multi-tracks. By 2000, technology improved enough that Mike's vocal could be successfully isolated from the mono mix and flown into the stereo mix. However, this was judged acceptable for the lower quality CD audio only - the higher definition DVD-A surround and stereo mix still features Brian's vocal on the bridge.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2011, 04:25:19 PM »

The stereo mix is revelatory, wouldn't be without it... but the mono mix is what Brian released, and once you've listened to the stereo, the mono opens up too.

Absolutely spot on!

After soaking in the stereo and 5.1 versions, I can now listen to the mono version and it's like I'm wearing a pair of mental 3-D glasses!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2011, 05:23:17 PM »

Listening to the mono mix on the radio, I'm assuming a single version (?) of the song, is unreal. I LOVE the stereo version, but it doesn't have that mono presence.
The stereo version [u[/u]is what gave Pet Sounds presence. The mono version sounds sleepy and muffled with very few highs and lows-as if someone was actually holding the soud back purposly. The stereo version was the actual awakening or reimagining of the music. WIBN , GOK, SJB are incredible at high volume.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2011, 06:49:18 PM »

The mono version of 'Sloop John B' and the stereo version are like two separate songs in my opinion.

Listen to Brian's falsetto when he sings "Hoist up the John B Sails" at 1:36 - "Sails" fades right into the next line on the mono version whereas in stereo it gets somewhat lost in the mix (his falsetto is far more prominent in the mono mix - and thus the song benefits in mono). Also, at 2:01 when they're all singing "I wanna go home" you can hear such a difference in the tone of their voices as apposed to stereo.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx