gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680869 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 08:01:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's September sessions?  (Read 13586 times)
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2011, 02:47:35 AM »

According to the BW board and AGD the Disney album is all done. Brian has cancelled some of the shows in September and is going into the studio - another Christmas tune perhaps? Or what? Any hints....? Wink

Speaking of sessions - I posted the 1-minute outtake of the "crispy" version of "Let him run wild" (as played on a radio show 1995-96), recorded some time around "Imagination" - but no-one seems to know anything about that version - or what else was recorded and not released...? AGD?

/B
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 03:04:08 AM by bsten » Logged
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 03:48:40 AM »

I doubt Brian would cancel shows just to record Christmas tunes. It must be something bigger.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 04:43:13 AM »

I doubt Brian would cancel shows just to record Christmas tunes. It must be something bigger.

BRIAN WILSON PRESENTS REMEMBER THE ZOO HOLY SHIT
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 04:48:12 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 05:14:08 AM »

My money's on recordings for a Beach Boys (anniversary-related) release. Not necessarily involving the other members, though.
If it was an all-new BW solo record we would've heard of some record deal or something, right?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 05:18:51 AM »

Hoping the Beach Boys are recording a new album for one last hurrah because i want the last chapter of the group to be positive.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 05:19:55 AM by briansbathrobe » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

"Humor, too, is one of His creations."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 05:47:03 AM »

BRIAN WILSON PRESENTS REMEMBER THE ZOO HOLY SHIT
LMFAO!!!  Grin Grin Grin

AGD: "For foder's sake don't encourage him !"
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 05:53:29 AM »

My money's on recordings for a Beach Boys (anniversary-related) release. Not necessarily involving the other members, though.

A BBs-tributealbum with each member re-recording one of their biggies.... LOL

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 06:00:11 AM »

A BBs-tributealbum with each member re-recording one of their biggies.... LOL

Ya... or each member laying down vocals and stuff separately. This could be for various reasons. (Scenes from the Stars & Stripes recording sessions come to mind.)

Or, who knows.... maybe Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce and David already decided on a joined recording date in September.  Cheesy Is it known whether the other BBs have touring commitments at that time?
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 06:21:56 AM »

Al is wanting more "Don't Fight The Sea" style tracks for the physical release of Postcard From California..  LOL
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 06:46:27 AM »

This has to be a group session, filmed for posterity - or sales Grin - otherwise there'd be no need to scrub gigs. They could record it anywhere in the world - even in a hotel room - and transfer it digitally to YRPlace for assembly. But for this they have to be togetjer.

“We live in divisive times.”
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 06:57:27 AM »

According to the BW board and AGD the Disney album is all done. Brian has cancelled some of the shows in September and is going into the studio - another Christmas tune perhaps? Or what? Any hints....? Wink

Speaking of sessions - I posted the 1-minute outtake of the "crispy" version of "Let him run wild" (as played on a radio show 1995-96), recorded some time around "Imagination" - but no-one seems to know anything about that version - or what else was recorded and not released...? AGD?

/B

If I remember that interview correctly, it was stated that Let Him Run Wild & Sweetie were recorded for the Wilsons project.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 07:26:00 AM »

Has anyone heard anything about the touring BB calendar? If Mike has September cleared as well then we could assume much more accurately.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 07:38:31 AM »

Has anyone heard anything about the touring BB calendar? If Mike has September cleared as well then we could assume much more accurately.
According to the Beach Boys' last.fm page they are scheduled to play gigs Sept the 2nd and Sept the 9th. No gigs for the rest of the month.
When were Brian's Scandinavian dates supposed to be exactly?
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 07:40:32 AM »

According to beachboysfanclub.com:

Sept. 2 — Pueblo, CA (Colorado State Fair, Events Center)
Sept. 3 — Las Vegas, NV (Mandalay Bay)
Sept. 5 — Pomona, CA (LA County Fair)*
Sept. 9 — Atlanta, GA (Cobb Energy PAC)*
Sept. 29 — Lawrenceburg, TN (Middle Tennessee District Fair)

According to beachboysband.net:
Sept. 02 — Pueblo, CO - Colorado State Fair
Sept. 03 — Las Vegas, NV - Mandalay Bay
Sept. 05 — Pomona, CA - LA County Fair
Sept. 09 — Atlanta, GA - Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »

The canceled dates were towards the end of September. Perhaps a good studio/ producer has been booked and the dates clashed.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 08:29:16 AM »

Regarding that "Let Him Run Wild" clip....if it's the one I'm thinking of, I think I know where it came from....in July or August 1996, right before Stars and Stripes was released, Brian and Joe Thomas were in-studio guests of Steve Dahl on either WLUP or WCKG in Chicago, whichever station he was on at the time. I found out about it by accident -- I noticed a quick mention in the Sun-Times, probably Feder's column...problem: I was going to be working at the time without access to a recorder...solution: I happened to have a system that would auto-record at a certain time! I did manage to grab a good portion of the part with Brian and Joe....basically, the last 45 minutes or so of when they were in the studio. Unfortunately, I lost that tape long ago, as I've moved several times since, so this is all going by memory...

For the most part, it was just Brian and Joe talking about the album, and they played a couple of songs off it...I remember they played the Willie version of TWOTS, and IIRC, they started the tape up at the wrong speed (they were playing the stuff from a reel-to-reel deck)...at one point during the show Brian asked if he should play something, pointing out that "there's an instrument here." I remember at one point Steve asked Brian to play him some background music on the keyboard that was in the studio, and Brian proceded to sing a verse and a chorus of "Darlin'" in the original key -- but sang the verse an octave lower and returned to the original key for the chorus, at which point Steve interrupted him and said, "What kind of a list is that?" Brian sounded puzzled, so Steve asked him what the lyrics are, and Brian said, in the beat of the song, "I dream about you often, my pretty darrrrrrrr-lin'." And Steve commented that he always thought it was "I got to get you off of my pretty girl list." Brian LOUDLY castigated him for getting it wrong and laughed. At another point Brian played and sang a verse of "Little GTO." I don't remember if he did anything else with that keyboard...

The "Let Him Run Wild" thing is the last thing they played before Brian and Joe left. Steve mentioned that they gave him a reel full of new unreleased recordings and he wanted to play some of it, and he played that minute or two of "Let Him Run Wild," which Joe said had Brian on all the instruments and vocals. I think Steve faded it himself, so there might be more on the tape he had. I seem to remember Joe implied that it was for the upcoming album with Wendy and Carnie, but as we saw when it came out, it was NOT on the album. And it's not the version that was on Imagination, as the version they played on the radio was in the original key (and 100% synths).

Steve asked 'em if he could play more stuff from the tape during his show later on, and they said yes. Whether he actually did, I don't know, as to this day I can't stand Steve Dahl and avoid his show like the plague...

I'm guessing that what you posted came from that broadcast and, since you had it to post, I obviously wasn't the only one who managed to record it. But really, the Brian that I heard on the show was NOT the Brian everybody became with...he was VERY talkative, and seriously, you'd swear you were just listening in on a couple of old friends riffing (which, essentially, is what it was)....

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 09:14:38 AM »

Pretty good depiction of the tape. The LHRW is similar. arrangement wise, to the one on Imagination. It seems likely it was used as a template. They also use a weird echo effect on Brian's voice when he was singing in the studio.

I will take issue, though, with the thought that Brian is significantly different in this tape than any appearance in the post-Landy era. It's okay, certainly, but Joe and Steve do most of the talking.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2011, 09:33:18 AM »

Again, going from memory...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2011, 09:55:54 AM »

It definitely shows him a little looser, and he seems to thrive in an atmosphere like that, so I'm not disagreeing that it's a decent appearance. And the Darlin version is excellent -- as is Little GTO. Always thought Brian and a piano, with some good vocal production, would be a great album.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2011, 10:18:58 AM »

According to Brian's website the dates cancelled were September 24, 25, and 26.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 11:41:53 AM »

maybe just doing a single together.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2011, 01:31:42 PM »

And maybe "Smile" is coming out end of September and Brian needs to be available for 'recording' interviews.  Gotta be a big PR push when this this thing drops.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 01:43:26 PM »

And maybe "Smile" is coming out end of September and Brian needs to be available for 'recording' interviews.  Gotta be a big PR push when this this thing drops.

Ding, ding, ding.  I think we may have winner.  Capitol can't throw a release party without the big man.

bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2011, 01:18:50 AM »

Thanks 37!ws for your elaboration. Unfortunately I don't have the whole show, and I cannot remember where I got that outtake from. But is an interesting version, better than both the SDSN version and the Imagination version, IMO. I would sure like to know what was on the reel that was handed over to Steve... "The alternative Imagination album"Huh   Grin

/B
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2011, 05:00:08 AM »

Ding, ding, ding.  I think we may have winner.  Capitol can't throw a release party without the big man.

Right, of course he will need to do all those things. But would Brian call that "studio commitments"? I'm betting on some kind of BBs recordings, maybe just that single Runaway mentioned.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx