gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:30:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Copyright questions...  (Read 1267 times)
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: September 01, 2011, 04:52:10 PM »

I have two questions concerning copyrights and was wondering if someone could help me out.

1. What is the cheapest and easiest way to copyright songs I've written?  Of course I need a way that will stand up in court.  Does anyone have any ideas?

2. I have several song fragments written that I'd like to post in a place or two for various reasons (Facebook, Youtube, etc.).  Can song fragments be covered via copyright?  By "song fragment" I mean any of the following:

-Just a chorus
   -Just a verse

In each case the song is not complete.  There is a melody, lyrics, and instrumentation (just a guitar), but not a full song.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mps

Too Much Sugar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 05:29:10 PM »

1.  Technically, as long as the song is in tangible form, it already is copyrighted (Berne Convention).  However, as you said, for it to stand up in court, the best way is to register it through the U.S. Copyright Office.  This can be done online for about $35:  

http://www.copyright.gov/forms/  

If you're in Europe, I believe there's probably something similar through the EU, though I'm not sure.  

2.  Yes, it should be copyrightable.  When you copyright a song, it is only the melody and lyrics which are copyrighted.  So, theoretically, there's no minimum number of notes required for a copyright.  You just need to show originality.  So, provided your fragments show that, it should be O.K.  

Hope that helps.  
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 05:30:05 PM by Matthew M. » Logged
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 09:30:20 PM »

Thank you Matthew M.  Must each original work be copyrighted one by one, or can a slew of them be sent off at the same time?  In other words, must I pay $35 for each song or song snippet, or can I group several for the same price?

Also, given I cannot write out musical notation, what do I send?  Chords and lyrics?  A CD?

I supposed I should read through the link you sent rather than trying to short cut it, but I would be interested in hearing from someone who has done this before in order to learn any tricks or short cuts.  There must be others who have done this who cannot write out musical notation...

Thanks again for your help.

mps

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 01:27:38 PM »

Thank you Matthew M.  Must each original work be copyrighted one by one, or can a slew of them be sent off at the same time?  In other words, must I pay $35 for each song or song snippet, or can I group several for the same price?

Also, given I cannot write out musical notation, what do I send?  Chords and lyrics?  A CD?

I supposed I should read through the link you sent rather than trying to short cut it, but I would be interested in hearing from someone who has done this before in order to learn any tricks or short cuts.  There must be others who have done this who cannot write out musical notation...

Thanks again for your help.

mps

Jumping in here. 

You can group several, yes.  And you can also file online and just send mp3s of what you have.

Google "electronic copyright registration" and follow the instructions.  The website is a bit confusing, but if you persevere you will get it done.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 07:35:55 PM »

Thanks Adam.  I've taken your advice and I am looking at the website now.

mps

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx