gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:47:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: What is your favorite Bruce Johnston composition for the Beach Boys?
Disney Girls
Tears In The Morning
The Nearest Faraway Place
Endless Harmony

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poll: Favorite Bruce Johnston Composition  (Read 20802 times)
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2006, 07:49:50 AM »

Curious as to see what the favorite is for the King of Sap.  My favorite part of all the above songs is the bridge in "Disney Girls."  I'm ok with "Tears," but it's very dramatic and I'm no goodie goodie, but the "damn" in there sounds very unnecessary and insincere. 
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 08:33:01 AM »

Good idea for a thread.   But how could you leave out "Deirdre"?  What a great, catchy song -- only a smidgen below "Disney Girls" in my book.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 08:39:39 AM »

I left that tune out because he co-wrote it and
with the other tunes he didn't credit anyone as
helping him.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 08:40:24 AM »

Yeah, Id definitely add Deidre on there...but Im still between Disney Girls and Tears in the Morning...Im gonna have to wait this one out for a bit til I can make a decision! Such a hard poll. (huhuhuhuh)

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 08:41:10 AM »

Ok, I lied...I voted. 3D

--
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 09:37:25 AM »

My vote would have gone for Diedre too, if it were a choice.

Hasn't Bruce said Diedre is really a solo compo [or same as]?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 09:56:05 AM »

Brian contributed one or two lines, but that's most likely inconsequential. I voted for Disney Girls. Nearest Faraway place is a lovely recording, too.

Watch out for snakes!
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 10:00:34 AM »

Tears In The Morning, even though they ain't gonna tell me what to do. Thumbs Up

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 10:19:05 AM »

Tears In The Morning.

Which was, by the way, one of the biggest hits the Beach Boys ever had here in Holland.
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 10:28:56 AM »

Tears In The Morning.

Which was, by the way, one of the biggest hits the Beach Boys ever had here in Holland.

Since you're in Holland, can you show us what the area shown on the cover of Holland looks like now?

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 10:32:20 AM »

Nearest Faraway Place is about it for me.  I generally don't care for his mushy style.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 11:30:57 AM »

Disney Girls!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 01:03:28 PM »

Since you're in Holland, can you show us what the area shown on the cover of Holland looks like now?

I don't know exactly where in Amsterdam that is, but my guess is that it look pretty much the same. Hardly anything has changed around the Amsterdam canals, I think most of the houses around there are protected monuments...
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 01:27:05 PM »

Voted for "NFP"; would have voted for "Deirdre".

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 02:10:56 PM »

Why isn't "She Believes in Love Again" on the list?? That's the one I'd vote for (yes, seriously)!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2006, 05:52:44 AM »

I don't know exactly where in Amsterdam that is, but my guess is that it look pretty much the same. Hardly anything has changed around the Amsterdam canals, I think most of the houses around there are protected monuments...

This is what I could find:
Op 27 Januari 1973 komt de LP Holland van The Beach Boys op nummer 18 binnen in de Nederlandse album Top 20. Holland is op 8 Januari 1973 in Nederland uitgebracht. De LP is in Juni 1972 in de studio van Pi Veriss aan de Rijksstraatweg 45 in Baambrugge opgenomen. The Beach Boys, zonder Bruce Johnston maar met Brian Wilson, Blondie Chaplin en Ricky Fataar verhuizen voor de opname van de plaat voor een jaar naar Nederland. Een volledige studio wordt vanuit de Verenigde Staten overgevlogen en ingericht in Baambrugge. Op de hoes van Holland staat een foto van Kromme Waal 21 in Amsterdam. Holland komt op 10 Februari 1973 tot de elfde plaats, drie weken later is het album alweer uit de albumlijst verdwenen.

Yes, I know, it's Dutch, so a translation will be necessary. In short: On January 27th 73 Holland charts at #18 in the Dutch album top 20 (released on Jan. 8th). It's highest chart-position is #11 on Feb. 10th; 3 weeks later the album left the charts already. It's recorded in the Pi Veriss studio in a farm on Rijksstraatweg nr. 45 in Baambrugge (this building has reportedly already been broken down). The picture of the frontcover of Holland shows the (address) "Kromme Waal #21" in Amsterdam.

I haven't checked this out yet, but everyone living nearby (or foreign BB-fans visiting Amsterdam) should be able to find this location quite easily.

The Flames website (www.the-flames.com > Holland-section) contains a picture with a fan (not me) standing in front of one of the "Holland"-houses: it clearly shows #21.

Is there anyone living in or nearby Amsterdam to check this out?

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2006, 05:57:30 AM »

If I went to Amsterdam, the last thing I think I'd be doing is looking for that house, and if I were I'm sure I'd get lost pretty easily Cool Guy

--
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2006, 06:06:16 AM »

...'it's not that difficult to find: probably a 5 minute walk from the main railway-station.

b.t.w.: I voted for Tears In The Morning

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2006, 12:14:52 PM »

This may be off topic, but Roger Joesph Manning Jr's (of JELLYFISH, Beck, Air) new album sounds a lot like Bruce's vocals and BW style arrangements. I highly suggest it, its awesome and he has the same voice as Bruce.

Here is a link
http://www.myspace.com/rogerjosephmanningjr

rogerjosephmanningjr.com (his website is amazingly designed)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2006, 12:41:20 PM »

I don't really live near Amsterdam (+/- 2 hours by car), but I come there at least 5 of 6 times a year... Next time I'm in Amsterdam I'll look it up and make a picture. Thanks for the address.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2006, 12:43:29 PM »

Found this on Google... This is a recent photo of the Kromme Waal in Amsterdam:

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2006, 12:51:17 PM »

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/25979/krommewaal.jpg
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2006, 11:27:15 PM »

Thanks for this picture: really nice.

Then I'd say it's the third and fourth building counting from the right side of the picture.

Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2006, 02:42:47 AM »

I don't really live near Amsterdam (+/- 2 hours by car), but I come there at least 5 of 6 times a year... Next time I'm in Amsterdam I'll look it up and make a picture. Thanks for the address.

Brian Wilson supposedly wrote the song 'Kiss Me Baby' in an Amsterdam br0thel in 1964.  Anyone know which one?  Might be nice to visit?!  Maybe meet the ladies who helped Brian with his inspiration?!   LOL

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2006, 09:58:13 AM »

Hookers kiss?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx