gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:44:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random questions: Bruce, Gettin' Hungry, etc.  (Read 4038 times)
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2006, 07:44:32 AM »

It just occured to me that you can't really pick Bruce out on SMILEY SMILE or WILD HONEY at all.  I'm not even sure I'm hearing him in the harmonies on the FRIENDS album.  What happened to Bruce and why is this the case?  You can easily pick him out on CALIFORNIA GIRLS and GOD ONLY KNOWS, to name a couple.

Also, what was the b-side to GETTIN' HUNGRY.  I can't remember it right now, and since it was credited to Brian & Mike instead of The Beach Boys, was that the same for the b-side?

And when was Bruce allowed to make his face shown?  He wasn't featured on an album cover until "20/20."  That album featured an instrumental of his, but then we don't hear his voice until "Sunflower/Surf's Up" where he has more leads all of a sudden.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 07:51:29 AM by TV Forces » Logged
L Ransford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 08:23:23 AM »

The "Gettin Hungry" single has "Mountain Of Love" from the "Party" album on the flip. Yes, it is credited to Brian & Mike.
There is also a 45 with a disco re-make from 1979 on Pacific Arts by Mike Love and Celebration.
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 08:30:29 AM »

I think I have a pretty good guess as to why he wasn't on Smiley Smile  Smokin Huh Shocked Grin LOL Cool Guy

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 10:00:03 AM »

It just occured to me that you can't really pick Bruce out on SMILEY SMILE or WILD HONEY at all.  I'm not even sure I'm hearing him in the harmonies on the FRIENDS album.  What happened to Bruce and why is this the case?  You can easily pick him out on CALIFORNIA GIRLS and GOD ONLY KNOWS, to name a couple.

Also, what was the b-side to GETTIN' HUNGRY.  I can't remember it right now, and since it was credited to Brian & Mike instead of The Beach Boys, was that the same for the b-side?

And when was Bruce allowed to make his face shown?  He wasn't featured on an album cover until "20/20."  That album featured an instrumental of his, but then we don't hear his voice until "Sunflower/Surf's Up" where he has more leads all of a sudden.

Gettin' Hungry b-side was Devoted To You.

I think you can hear Bruce on Time to Get Alone. Other questions, I don't know the answer to. I do recall hearing that he didn't want a part of the scene around Smiley Smile and Lei'd In Hawaii, but he was part of the Wally Heider sessions...

Watch out for snakes!
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 10:39:22 AM »

I seem to recall the Badman book mentioning Bruce exploring some solo sessions in July of 1967.  I wonder if Bruce was considering leaving in mid-67.  Steve Despar or someone else reported that Bruce was playing keys and some bass during the Wild Honey sessions.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 10:50:03 AM »

Bruce wasn't around much for the "Smiley Smile" sessions, because, by his own words, "this was the Beach Boys' drug era...it was getting too weird for me".  He skipped the two Hawaii concerts in August, but was there for the Wally Heider studio re-creation of those arrangements that would have constitued the "Lei'd in Hawaii" album.

Bruce is definitely on "Wild Honey", playing organ & bass, and you can hear his voice signing on part of "A Thing Or Two" (I forget the lyrical phrase).  You can also hear him on the outtake "Lonely Days".  Plus, he cowrote "How She Boogaloed It".  When Brian called me last fall, I asked him who did the organ solo on "Wild Honey", and he replied it was Bruce. 

Bruce is also on "Friends", playing on "Passing By" (probably bass), as well as singing on most of the songs.  That is the first BBs album where he is pictured on the front cover (in the clouds, with the other group members).  Prior to that, his contract with CBS Records prohibited him from appearing on the front covers of their albums (which is why we see him in outtakes from the "Summer Days" and "Pet Sounds" photo shoots, and on the back cover of "Pet Sounds"  but not on the front of  those albums.  He's also on the back cover of "Wild Honey").

C-Man
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 12:15:10 PM »

Do you guys think it would be fair to say that Bruce didn't come into his own as a Beach Boy until 20/20?  I think until then, he (and maybe everybody else) still thought of himself as the touring road guy, despite his excellent contributions to records.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 12:19:57 PM »

I just wanted to add that Bruce speaks well of Wild Honey on the Hawthorne compilation, so he was definitely a part of that album.

As for what you just said, Josh, isn't 20/20 the first real 'non-Brian Wilson' Beach Boys album? It was Bruce's first real chance to step up and, as you say, come into his own.

Watch out for snakes!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 12:39:47 PM »

Maybe that need, Brian really pulling back, was just enough to push Bruce to be more confident in asserting his musical personality?
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 12:48:50 PM »

I'd imagine so. When you see a void, fill it!

Watch out for snakes!
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 01:31:30 PM »

You know to some degree I don't think Bruce every really felt comfortable until 20/20 as well...and that's sort of ironic given that Billy Hinche has said he was asked to replace Bruce in 1969 by Mike and Carl I think.  He obviously declined at the time.  Bruce was on the outs upon Jack Riley's arrival....I don't think he was considered "in the band" on a permanant level until 1978-79 with his return.  Since then he's been there 100% of the time.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 03:36:23 PM »

You know to some degree I don't think Bruce every really felt comfortable until 20/20 as well...and that's sort of ironic given that Billy Hinche has said he was asked to replace Bruce in 1969 by Mike and Carl I think.  He obviously declined at the time.  Bruce was on the outs upon Jack Riley's arrival....I don't think he was considered "in the band" on a permanant level until 1978-79 with his return.  Since then he's been there 100% of the time.
Even so, for the first three years or so of his "second" tenure, Bruce was still saying it was a "temporary" thing, and that he hadn't "rejoined" the BBs, but was just lending them a hand with production and touring.  Of course, it turned out to be permanent.

C-Man
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 03:41:42 PM »

Maybe he still sees himself as a just a hired hand?
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 08:24:18 PM »

Well, he is the most accomplished person outside of the group, what with Bruce and Terry, etc.

Watch out for snakes!
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 08:15:00 AM »

Nice replies..  this changes my outlook on the situation a bit.  Since they called Bruce in to replace Brian on the road and he immediately started participating in sessions, and is still in the band now, I always figured he was a full on member.  I'm not sure why they wanted to replace him in the late 60s.  he wasn't contributing much at all.. then he started doing that and he's gone.

Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2006, 10:23:15 AM »

Even Al Jardine was considered a hired hand for quite a while as best I can tell.  The Beach Boys was a family business for most of it's incarnation.  As far as I'm concerned the Beach Boys ended with Carl's death.

Bruce's departure in the early 70s occured toward the middle-end of Carl and the Passions, I think with Blondie and Ricki he didn't have as significant a musical role.  There were apparently sigificant disagreements with Jack Riley who was "driving the bus" at that point.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx