gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:09:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guilty Pleasure Songs From The Catalog (Or Not)  (Read 7051 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2006, 02:52:07 PM »

The entirety of that Dr. Demento interview is the most demented thing he's ever broadcast.  Brian's reminiscences about child abuse are about the farthest out I've ever heard him get.

Do you got a transcript or even an audio of that interview?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2006, 03:00:37 PM »

Afraid not, Rocker, it was played for me years ago off a vinyl copy of the show.  Any chance you're in L.A.?

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2006, 06:01:44 PM »

what about the sound effects in IJWMFTT documentry? same?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2006, 06:41:30 PM »

I hate to admit it, but it's been around ten years in either case.  I have the Was documentary on DVD- I'll check it out.  In the Demento interview, as I remember, he gave a really graphic, extended description of being abused that makes me uncomfortable even to recall.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
All-Seeing Eye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2006, 07:57:37 PM »

Wow, I didn't know about all the other stuff discussed in the Demento interview. I must have heard an edited version around 1996 or so, which I still have on tape. In it, Brian says hello, introduces Smart Girls, they play it, and then that was it. Interesting!

I'm keeping an eye on things.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2006, 08:09:09 PM »

According to TheMadMusicArchive.com, it was a two-part thing:

January 12th, 1992:

Brian Wilson interview (part 1): Smart Girls, Brian Wilson; Day By Day, The Four Freshmen; Two Step Side Step, The Bachelors.

Brian Wilson interview (part 2): I'm Bugged At My Ol' Man,  The Beach Boys; Vegetables, The Beach Boys; Do It Again, The Beach Boys.

Interesting playlist, esp. I'm Bugged At My Ol' Man, perfect! for Dr. Demento.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2006, 11:34:55 AM »

MIU is the cat's ass.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2006, 02:41:42 PM »

Thanks, idigworms- that matches my memory.  I guess in 1992 they were still sending out radio shows for broadcast on vinyl, because I think that's what I heard.  If anyone's in the area, it was played for me by the owner of Ear Candy Records on Sepulveda in Van Nuys/Sherman Oaks, which I assume is still there, by the proprietor- a great guy and a knowledgeable Brian fan and collector.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2006, 03:28:43 PM »

Afraid not, Rocker, it was played for me years ago off a vinyl copy of the show.  Any chance you're in L.A.?

I'd love to, but I have to sit in snowy Germany and wait for the spring.... Roll Eyes

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx