gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 08:51:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What will happen to Brian's band  (Read 11829 times)
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 02:32:57 PM »

Personally, I think Brian's touring band and studio band should have been 2 different outfits consisting of a handful of the same members, I am not criticizing the band in any way shape or form, they are fantastic at playing the material, they nail it every night, however, I think in the studio this same thing may sometimes hamper the creative direction that Brian would like to take*, which is why the last 2 albums have sounded like 1963 again, again, not a criticism, they nail it and it sounds superb, but is Brian Douglas Wilson musically wanting to emulate the sound of his old hits?, it's never something he seemed concerned with until after SMiLE where the band started having more say in the studio.

Anyway, that kind of had a point to it, I think since the band are so competent at playing the material, they probably would stay together in some form as a Brian Wilson tribute band, maybe some members would join the touring Beach Boys (I don't know what Jeff Foskett's relationship with Mike is like, but that would make some degree of sense, seeing as he used to be in the touring band)

*This is just pure speculation of course, I have never seen Brian in the studio other than the DVDs, and I suspect some of that material may have been staged.
cutterschoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 03:06:33 PM »

What's up with the deleted posts in this thread? Nothing offensive that I recall--did I miss something?

Something went wrong with the database at some point. The posts I made around 5.30pm and PMs I received have all gone missing, too.
WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 04:47:58 PM »

It's not too late, if you want a member of Brian's band to take home and look after as if he* were your very own... 

Can we bring him home Mother? Pleeeeeeze?

You know children, keeping a musician isn't all that easy. You'll have to clean up after him every day! Your Father will be angry if there's poopies by his hammock!

Oh, we WILL!

And you'll need to feed him my dears. Musicians love stout with pie and mash!

Oh, yes Mummy! We'll feed him lots of Guinness with yummy pie and mash every day!

And you'll have to go and buy him new strings when he needs them! And help him set up and test all of his equipment so he can play.

Oh, it will be such fun!

And you'll have to go and score drugs for him down in the park when he needs them and fix it up for him. And you'll need to dispose of all the dirty syringes. And when he contracts a sexually transmitted disease you'll have to take him over to the clinic right away. And when you find one of his girlfriends bludgeoned to death in the bathtub you'll have to dispose of the cadaver and...

Can we have a hamster instead?

Of course my little angels.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 08:51:34 PM »

What's up with the deleted posts in this thread? Nothing offensive that I recall--did I miss something?

Something went wrong with the database at some point. The posts I made around 5.30pm and PMs I received have all gone missing, too.

I hear there's a new sheriff in town

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2011, 11:48:19 PM »

I've read in several topics that posts are gone. I did edit a few Bruce's moustache posts, but that was it, I don't know what happened to other posts that were made. I'm pretty sure it wasn't done by the moderators though. It could be that something's wrong with the settings of the board. I just noticed that the time notation has moved up a few timezones. Very strange...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2011, 01:15:04 AM »

Yes.....and you just wait till I grow up to be a moderator.

Revenge will be mine.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2011, 02:42:58 AM »

Yes.....and you just wait till I grow up to be a moderator.

Revenge will be mine.

Ah, in that case, if we're ever in need of a new mod, we'll consider to make use of your competences...  Grin

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2011, 07:50:54 AM »

Well here is my ten cents worth and it is only a personal opinion

I think Brian's band will go back to what they were doing before Brian came calling - they are all musicians in their own right

I hope the Mints do some new stuff - thought their last album was excellent

I wouldn't be keen on them performing regularly as a BW tribute band unless it was a special annual thing where they did a few gigs both sides of the pond

Cheers

Richard
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2011, 08:57:15 AM »

Brian's band will grow older and eventually die, just like the rest of us. I say this with the utmost confidence.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2011, 09:26:38 AM »

Brian's band will grow older and eventually die, just like the rest of us. I say this with the utmost confidence.
Darian's gonna die someday, but his hair won't.  Afro

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2011, 09:28:43 AM »

Individually, or a group thang?

onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2011, 10:30:09 AM »

I don't suppose it will be like the modern equivalent of old big bands playing without their leaders, right? (Y'know, the Les Brown Band of Renown...minus Les. Or...less Les, should I say...)
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2011, 10:31:05 AM »

Which calls into question...if Bruce bites it...will Mike Love tour as "The Beach Boy"?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2011, 10:51:28 AM »

Which calls into question...if Bruce bites it...will Mike Love tour as "The Beach Boy"?

Nah, he'll be touring as " The Real Beach Boy"

D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2011, 11:28:58 AM »

Mike toured for a short period without Bruce in 2004 when Bruce was having his heart bypass surgery. When he'd recuperated sufficiently to go back on the road, the BB website said "Welcome back to the tour, Bruce !" Meaning that Mike sees the touring Beach Boys as a show that must go on ; would the wheels keep rolling without Mike ?
earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

"Humor, too, is one of His creations."

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2011, 02:15:01 PM »

Mike toured for a short period without Bruce in 2004 when Bruce was having his heart bypass surgery. When he'd recuperated sufficiently to go back on the road, the BB website said "Welcome back to the tour, Bruce !" Meaning that Mike sees the touring Beach Boys as a show that must go on ; would the wheels keep rolling without Mike ?

I can see it now...2027...The Beach Boys touring with a holographic Mike!   Razz

AGD: "For foder's sake don't encourage him !"
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2011, 03:15:07 PM »

Meaning that Mike sees the touring Beach Boys as a show that must go on ; would the wheels keep rolling without Mike ?
I recall an interview--couple years ago now, maybe?--when Mike said he could envision a Beach Boyless "Beach Boys" touring. Unless I'm imagining that. (But I don't think I am.) And for my two cents, I see no heresy in such a thing whatsoever. Some people go to see the people themselves, but others go to hear the music and see a great show. If that's the case, once the guys hang it up, why not have an officially sanctioned entity? Again, I realize some people would have no interest in such a thing. But others would.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2011, 03:55:11 PM »

The Glen Miller Orchestra still tours. Why not the BB when the day comes?
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2011, 05:03:11 PM »

The Glen Miller Orchestra still tours. Why not the BB when the day comes?
Ugh, with all due respect I personally don't think that's a good idea. You only have to look to The Drifters or the Coasters or one of those groups that tour in splinters now, with different members doing different things, to see how it destroys a group's credibility. A touring BB without any originals destroys, IMHO, the credibility of the group and is just a tarnish of the name. All of this boils down to opinion, but the Be-atles probably had it best when they agreed, I think when they were still formed, that they wouldn't reform without all four members present. In Hari's words: "We aren't going to get Dave Gilmour or Roger Waters and call ourselves the Be-atles."
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 05:06:54 PM by TdHabib » Logged

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2011, 05:26:46 PM »

they probably wouldn't keep touring.  I'm sure they could find other jobs in the music world. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2011, 05:38:58 PM »

I've never thought less of a band because of how they toured their live shows. Hell, The Drifters have had multiple lead singers on records, no less as a live act. Most people who see The Beach Boys probably have no idea that there are 4 missing members on stage. Back in the late 70's, I saw the 4 Seasons with the band that did Who Loves You and Oh What A Night. They did old and new stuff. Now, were they legit or not? Though, it was a terrific show either way. How a band is remembered is mostly from their recorded output.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2011, 07:41:57 PM »

*post removed*

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2011, 08:45:37 AM »

What will become of the rest of Brian's band when Brian no longer tours?

Probably the same thing that has become of them over the years when they were NOT working with Brian's band. Jeff has his own projects. Darian has Disney and tours with other bands as well. Paul, AFAIK, works for some kind of music production company in or around Chicago and has Poi Dog Pondering. Scott has his own projects. Probyn and Nelson both perform with about a billion other bands. Don't know about Brett. And I doubt Wondermints will work as a band; didn't one of 'em say something about Wondermints being a "completed project"?? Nick has had a solo album perpetually in the works for almost as long as Al Jardine did and so far only one tune has come out, but at least he has that going. Taylor obviously has other stuff going on.

So, yeah...they'll do whatever they do when they don't play with Brian as it is now.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2011, 01:27:50 PM »

Hmmmmm, the idea of being able to go see Brian's band playing a great set of Beach Boys stuff with those guys and gals belting out the leads would be pretty awesome!!
sparkydog1725
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2011, 04:06:34 PM »

I'm sure in 50 years "The Beach Boys", "KISS" & "Chicago" will still be performing.  King
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx