gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:52:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Is Your Favorite Soundtrack?  (Read 45879 times)
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 07:18:50 PM »

I'm probably way in the minority, and I'm not going to defend it as a great film or anything, but I laughed my head off when I saw Magical Mystery Tour recently. Might just be my sense of humor.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
beatbabe69
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 07:37:41 PM »

American Graffiti

A Hard Day's Night

More Amercian Graffiti

Rushmore

Boogie Nights

Are just some of the ones I love.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 08:31:02 AM »

2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Once Upon A Time In The West
Mean Streets----great use of pop songs, as elsewhere in Scorsese's stuff

There must be more but those four come readily to mind...

[Later]
Carrington----Michael Nyman and a dash of Schubert
More and La Vallée----not least, but by means not only, because they necessarily don't have Mr Waters'----dare I say it?----cynicism splashed all over them
Koyaanisqatsi and particularly Powaqqatsi----music by Philip Glass

I must confess to not actually having seen the last four films----for which my apologies----I just love the music.

That excerpt from Morricone's music for Mission to Mars is simply stunning...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 09:35:28 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 09:55:38 AM »

Currently digging the Pirate Radio soundtrack.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2011, 06:57:51 PM »

Lotsa great mid-60s hits -- but I tried to watch this flick on DVD the other day.  Made it about half way -- very disappointing.  Also a few anachronisms such as "Jumping Jack Flash" in 1966!  Nonetheless, when the BBs play ("Little saint Nick"), it's a good movie for a few minutes.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2011, 07:06:48 PM »

Lotsa great mid-60s hits -- but I tried to watch this flick on DVD the other day.  Made it about half way -- very disappointing.  Also a few anachronisms such as "Jumping Jack Flash" in 1966!  Nonetheless, when the BBs play ("Little saint Nick"), it's a good movie for a few minutes.

I still have to check that one out. I'm not much into movies or TV anymore, so when I do watch I make sure it's worth it - thus I've been putting off Pirate Radio because of the iffy reviews.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2011, 10:52:36 PM »

I think I`m partial to that movie becausd I was a radio/mass communication major and frequently on-air in college. I`m bugged more by Phillip Seymour Hoffman holding the mic and putting it right on his mouth (he must be a fan of unessecary noise and distortion/overmodulation) than by the filmmakers` song choices.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2011, 06:15:15 AM »

I still have to check that one out. I'm not much into movies or TV anymore, so when I do watch I make sure it's worth it - thus I've been putting off Pirate Radio because of the iffy reviews.

I found this film to be terrible. One of the biggest disappointments I've experienced in recent years only because I actually thought the film would be about the pirate radio station(s) that operated outside of London in the 60s. Instead, it is simply PORKY'S on a boat. If the storyline about trying to get a teenager laid sounds good to you (and you can stomach Kenneth Branagh calling out for "Mr. Twatt" repeatedly like a tiresome schoolboy), then maybe you'll have some laughs. I think the cast is great, but they're given very little here that's amusing.

The musical anachronisms go way beyond "Jumpin' Jack Flash"; one of the DJs actually plays a Cat Stevens' song from 1970 even though you're reminded at the film's end that the events shown all take place in 1966.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2011, 10:53:06 AM »

I found this film to be terrible. One of the biggest disappointments I've experienced in recent years only because I actually thought the film would be about the pirate radio station(s) that operated outside of London in the 60s. Instead, it is simply PORKY'S on a boat. If the storyline about trying to get a teenager laid sounds good to you (and you can stomach Kenneth Branagh calling out for "Mr. Twatt" repeatedly like a tiresome schoolboy), then maybe you'll have some laughs. I think the cast is great, but they're given very little here that's amusing.

The musical anachronisms go way beyond "Jumpin' Jack Flash"; one of the DJs actually plays a Cat Stevens' song from 1970 even though you're reminded at the film's end that the events shown all take place in 1966.

I didn't make it to the Cat Stevens song!  Anyway, you nailed it "Porky's on a boat."  I am a big radio fan, particularly concerning renegade voices and forbidden music, and this really had nothing to do with any of that.  Rote, by the numbers, etc.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2011, 08:27:59 PM »

At the very least, Pirate Radio hopefully introduced a new generation of kids to cool 60s music.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2011, 06:01:09 PM »

'Dances With Wolves' is another movie with a great score.
As is 'The Last Of The Mohicans' - and unfortunately I don't think they released the original score.

Anyone here watch 'In The Shadow Of The Moon'? That movie has an incredible soundtrack - one of the best I've heard.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
FUN³
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2011, 07:20:47 PM »

alain goraguer "fantastic planet"

dope record
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2011, 02:43:17 PM »

Almost Famous had a nice soundtrack.   And The Blues Brothers soundtrack wasn't too shabby either.  Are these choices too obvious? 

The Coen Brothers  film Serious Man used  nearly the entire Surrealistic Pillow album as part of the soundtrack.  I found that amusing.
sparkydog1725
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2011, 03:42:57 PM »

- AI - John Williams - I could hardly believe this was him when I saw the credits--I usually associate him with more over the top, blockbuster themes, but this was really subtle and beautiful--really helped make the movie work.

Same here. Standard Williams only works for me about 40% of the time, but his AI score was very restrained and haunting.

The DVD-Audio 5.1 version is very nice in surround. It also plays on most standard DVD players.

http://www.amazon.com/I-Music-Motion-Picture/dp/B00005M986/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1311719554&sr=1-3
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2011, 04:28:04 PM »

Slightly OT, but the 4th disc of the Randy Newman boxset contains highlights from his film scores, and they're incredible

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2012, 09:22:15 PM »

Amarcord - Nino Rota
Carrie - Pino Donaggio
The Third Man - Anton Karas
Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? - Alex North
The 7th Voyage Of Sinbad - Bernard Herrmann

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2012, 09:42:40 PM »

- The Wizard Of Oz
- Goodfellas
- Jackie Brown
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2012, 09:52:21 PM »

Trainspotting
Pulp Fiction
Juno
Star Wars
American Graffiti
The Graduate
Easy Rider
2001 (not so much by itself, but i thought it pretty much gave the movie it's mood)
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2012, 11:30:57 PM »

The early seasons of The Simpsons had some great music they put out on a couple CDs.

No mas, por favor.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2012, 03:07:04 PM »

I think the mighty NRBQ contributed to both "The Simpsons" and "Spongebob".

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2012, 03:19:18 PM »

The city has my favorite soundtrack.
It makes you wanna move even though it's laid back.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
SG7
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2012, 05:27:18 PM »

My current love is Dirty Angels. Morricone's music is breathtaking. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2012, 05:54:32 PM »

I got the vinyl of the West Side Story soundtrack a few months ago - I love that soundtrack so much...full of energy.

thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2012, 01:47:00 AM »

Almost Famous had a nice soundtrack.   And The Blues Brothers soundtrack wasn't too shabby either.  Are these choices too obvious? 

The Coen Brothers  film Serious Man used  nearly the entire Surrealistic Pillow album as part of the soundtrack.  I found that amusing.
I was wondering if Almost Famous was too obvious as well. I'm not a fan of the songs written specifically for the movie, but the choice of songs used throughout the movie is fantastic. I wasn't a fan of "Tiny Dancer" until I saw the movie, but it was so well-used that  it made me reevaluate my opinion of Elton John.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2012, 09:38:28 AM »

Eternal Sunshine, by Jon Brion, with a few rock tracks thrown in.

Also:
I Heart Huckabees, by Jon Brion - better than the film itself!

But wait:
West Side Story
Clockwork Orange
Vacation (just for cheesy fun)
A Christmas Story - hard to find but totally worth it
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx