gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:13:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Is Your Favorite Soundtrack?  (Read 45866 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2011, 06:03:59 PM »

I've really been into film scores and soundtracks lately...

Could be orchestral scores, or pop music soundtracks (Magical Mystery Tour), etc.

My favorite orchestral score (has been since I was a kid) would have to be James Horner's score from Apollo 13.
As of now my favorite soundtrack would have to be the soundtrack to 'Thicker Than Water' - a surf film by Jack Johnson.

Anyone else out there have a favorite soundtrack???

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 06:11:12 PM »

I like the American Graffiti soundtrack, Vanishing point soundtrack, James Bond themes,easy rider, wes anderson films, italian westerns (the good,the bad, and the ugly), and Pet Sounds ( Soundtrack to Brian Wilson's life).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:15:21 PM by briansbathrobe » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 06:40:39 PM »

Easy Rider & American Graffiti soundtracks Thumbs Up

Ennio Morricone did a great film score for 'Mission To Mars' - probably my second favorite film score. Such great music!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 06:55:02 PM »

Did not know Ennio Morricone did mission to mars soundtrack, guess i need to watch that movie again to hear the soundtrack closely. All Summer Long and Ballad of Easy Rider were both amazing ending songs to a movie.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 07:22:45 PM »

Taxi Driver by Bernhard Hermann (sp?). He's the guy that did all those hitchcock films, but this is his best (and last. he died the night he finished recording it) at least for me.  I think I like it 'cos it sort of reminds me of Smile with it's weird percussion and recurring theme(s). Check it out if you haven't yet.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1UBfv7mh_s&feature=related

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 07:43:59 PM »

Did not know Ennio Morricone did mission to mars soundtrack, guess i need to watch that movie again to hear the soundtrack closely. All Summer Long and Ballad of Easy Rider were both amazing ending songs to a movie.

Definitely listen to the last two minutes of this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hql-U8Okheg - Morricone did a phenomenal job with this score (this is probably my favorite individual piece of instrumental music I have heard - save Beethoven's 7th, In The Back Of My Mind, and Vivaldi's L'Estro Armonico Op. 3 concerto No. 10).

Also, I created a thread a while back regarding musical influences for SMiLE and Morricone's work came up as a possible definite influence.

Easy Rider has been one of my favorites ever since I saw it. That soundtrack is incredible. I remember listening to the commentary by Dennis Hopper and he said he almost had another band do the whole score (I think it was Crosby, Stills, and Nash) but then, thankfully, decided against it.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 07:48:34 PM »

Taxi Driver by Bernhard Hermann (sp?). He's the guy that did all those hitchcock films, but this is his best (and last. he died the night he finished recording it) at least for me.  I think I like it 'cos it sort of reminds me of Smile with it's weird percussion and recurring theme(s). Check it out if you haven't yet.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1UBfv7mh_s&feature=related

That is one of the few classic movies I haven't seen...I need to hurry up and see that. Really like that score though...reminds me of 'The French Connection' - especially the percussion.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 11:01:03 PM »

5. A Clockwork Orange - Walter/Wendy Carlos
4. Star wars - John Williams
3. Lord of the Rings - Howard Shore
2. Empire of the Sun - John Williams/The Man With No Name trilogy - Ennio Morricone
1. Amadeus - Mozart/Neville Mariner and the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 06:03:03 AM »

Completely forgot about Empire of the Sun - Cadillac of the Skies is a definite top 5 favorite score songs for me.

Also, is your first choice from 'The Shawshank Redemption'? I can't remember but the name is awfully familiar.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 07:28:57 AM »

The bit from Shawshank is from Marriage of Figaro and is not actually on the soundtrack to Amadeus. But Shawshank is also a lovely soundtrack. I hadn't thought about that one.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 08:18:45 AM »

John Williams' soundtrack to "Hook" is an absolute favorite. Fantastic piece of work. It's dramatic, romantic, innocent and childlike, plus there are moments of pure beauty. I'm wondering if Brian would do soundtracks of this kind if it would sound lke this.

As for Pop-soundtracks:

That's the way it is - Elvis Presley (King Creole if you talk about feature films, in fact there are a lot good soundtracks by Presley)
Little Faus and Big Halsey - Johnny Cash & Carl Perkins
Great balls of fire - Jerry Lee Lewis
I like Magical Mystery Tour much, much better than the awful movie. American Graffiti is a classic f course

I love the music in Two Lane Blacktop but it never had an official soundtrack afaik
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:19:45 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 08:21:26 AM »

That is one of the few classic movies I haven't seen...I need to hurry up and see that. Really like that score though...reminds me of 'The French Connection' - especially the percussion.

That would be Bernard Herrmann, but, yes, he was brilliant and a favorite of mine. He really introduced the leitmotif to film scoring where a certain theme or phrase would be repeated (sometimes in a nearly unrecognizable variation) to link scenes with ones seen earlier in the film or draw attention to actions that have resonance later. This is now the standard way to score a film, but Herrmann pioneered this approach with CITIZEN KANE (pay close attention and Herrmann's score will actually reveal the mystery of "Rosebud" within the first 15 minutes of the film). He also liked to work with artificially-imposed restrictions such as his famous score for PSYCHO which only features stringed instruments.

As far as modern film composers go, I adore the work of Carter Burwell. He handles much of the Coen Brothers' films and he always displays a very light but memorable touch.

If we're talking a soundtrack made up of popular songs, I still think Simon and Garfunkel's work on THE GRADUATE is phenomenal. Scorsese always chooses just the right tunes to make his films work (think about how Frank Sinatra is used near the beginning of GOODFELLAS and Sid Vicious' take on "My Way" is used at the end). I also think the films of Paul Thomas Anderson use songs exceptionally well as does Cameron Crowe's.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 08:28:22 AM »

Scorsese always chooses just the right tunes to make his films work (think about how Frank Sinatra is used near the beginning of GOODFELLAS and Sid Vicious' take on "My Way" is used at the end).

He also used 'Sail On Sailor' in The Departed....he really does choose the right tunes Cheesy

John Williams' soundtrack to "Hook" is an absolute favorite. Fantastic piece of work. It's dramatic, romantic, innocent and childlike, plus there are moments of pure beauty. I'm wondering if Brian would do soundtracks of this kind if it would sound lke this.

I love the music in Two Lane Blacktop but it never had an official soundtrack afaik

I've been wanting to get the soundtrack to Hook for a while now - one of my favorite movies as a kid.

And funny enough I don't remember any of the music in Two Lane Blacktop....I'll have to watch that again soon enough.

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 08:32:25 AM »

...And funny enough I don't remember any of the music in Two Lane Blacktop....I'll have to watch that again soon enough.

It's most notable for featuring Kris Kristofferson's own version of "Me and Bobby McGee", a song made famous by Janis Joplin.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 08:16:44 PM »

#1 hands down "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" -- the previously mentioned Ennio Morricone.

Honorable mention -- "Local Hero"/Mark Knopfler and "Rushmore" (various).

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 09:27:19 PM »

Call me lowbrow if you must, Jonathan Richman`s songs interspersed throughout There`s Something About Mary pretty much make the movie for me.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 05:12:25 AM »

Zabriskie Point.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 10:11:11 AM »

Jaws and Star Wars scores. All of John Carpenter's early films had great themes. Queen's soundtrack for Flash Gordon. The first Dirty Harry. For songs it's got to be Easy Rider.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 10:58:31 AM »

Zabriskie Point.

That was actually better than their studio albums of the time, I thought.  LOL
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 11:00:41 AM »

Basquiat soundtrack
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 07:27:56 PM »

Call me lowbrow if you must, Jonathan Richman`s songs interspersed throughout There`s Something About Mary pretty much make the movie for me.

X2

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
stevemc90
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 11:44:52 PM »

Zappa's 200 Motels, Herrmann's Psycho. I recently heard some of the soundtrack to this film noir called "Dementia", by the iconoclast American composer George Antheil, and was floored (although he outright stole sections from Rite Of Spring!)
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 01:44:23 PM »

My votes:
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Jon Brion
- The English Patient
- Scrooge - Leslie Bricusse (lonnnnnng OOP, dangit)
- AI - John Williams - I could hardly believe this was him when I saw the credits--I usually associate him with more over the top, blockbuster themes, but this was really subtle and beautiful--really helped make the movie work.
- Gizmo! - various artists. OK, there's no album for this, but all those funky, 70s, one-hit-wonder type pop songs were great. And those artists vanished in obscurity. Plus--what a fun little film. Nearly impossible to find.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 01:49:53 PM »

- AI - John Williams - I could hardly believe this was him when I saw the credits--I usually associate him with more over the top, blockbuster themes, but this was really subtle and beautiful--really helped make the movie work.

Same here. Standard Williams only works for me about 40% of the time, but his AI score was very restrained and haunting.
MBE
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 04:24:27 PM »

Rushmore was a good one.
For movies with new songs (no documentaries)
Jailhouse Rock
King Creole
Kid Galahad
Hard Days Night
Help
Yellow Submarine
Magical Mystery Tour
Rutles
Girl Can't Help It
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx