gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:24:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Is Your Favorite Soundtrack?  (Read 45868 times)
wingsoveramerica
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2016, 10:08:52 AM »

Almost Famous

A Hard Days Night

Help!

Guardians of the Galaxy

Endless Harmony

American Graffiti

Forest Gump

Fantastic Mr Fox

Lassie (1994)

Jon G.
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2016, 02:05:52 PM »

American Graffiti

Forest Gump

those two and

Halloween III(season of the witch)

Choices the album

Choices II

Friday

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2016, 04:21:51 AM »

I don't care for the movie nowadays, still like soundtrack to The Big Chill.
You're smart. Indeed, movies with boring script/ liked in the past - at least they've got great music. Related, years ago the TV rolled the ads of various films to see this week, when "King Solomon's Mines" showed, I liked hearing the main music. The movie's cheap copy of "Indiana Jones" (adventure chap with insufferable girl).
Mentioned b4 "Kit Kittredge: An American Girl". It's about girl Kit & her fam & neighbors during 1930s dealing with Great Depression in Cincinnati. Joseph Vitarelli did the score which sounds very of-the-times, light jazz & to my ears done very professionally. Besides, there is retro music, as well as remakes of it covered by current artists. It's tasteful & fits the narrative.
"Coffee & Cigarettes" - begins with "Louie Louie" by Richard Berry, the favorite & the best version. Tom Waits didn't like the script his good ole buddy director Jim Jarmusch gave. His dialog bits. He didn't get the sense of humor. Then Jim changed/added the lines & Tom's up for it, written song "Saw Sage". The best track Modern Jazz Quartet "Baden Baden".
"Miss Marple" - Ken Howard & Alan Blaikley.
"Song of the South" (1946) - "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah". It's big favorite since 19 when 1st watched this Disney picture. Uncle Remus sings.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2016, 07:18:18 AM »

Fav non-original soundtrack: Fantasia 2000
Fav semi-original soundtrack: O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Fav original soundtrack: Jesus Christ Superstar and The Sound of Music
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:31:49 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2016, 06:33:15 AM »

If we mention musicals, without shadow of doubt "Cats".   Brilliant execution.
1962 British film "Some People" (before Beatles arrived but dealing with sth. similar). Valerie Mountain sings featuring the band The Eagles. It's UK band, plays mainly instrumentals.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2016, 07:08:10 AM »

1962 British film "Some People" (before Beatles arrived but dealing with sth. similar). Valerie Mountain sings featuring the band The Eagles. It's UK band, plays mainly instrumentals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL3EjtotqZw

I'm sure I heard that at the time. Thanks, Marianne.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2016, 10:00:24 PM »

I discovered it randomly in 2013 & liked. Valerie's got unique voice imo. Too bad she fell to obscurity (many good singers did).

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2016, 03:02:02 AM »

Just found that John Williams is behind the music in "Home Alone". Who would think. "Harry Potter" is definitely inspired by it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 01:47:52 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2016, 06:18:17 AM »

Grease
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2016, 03:39:31 PM »

Little Miss Sunshine (The contributions from DeVotchka and Sufjan are delightful.)
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Moonrise Kingdom
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2016, 11:48:50 PM »

Little Miss Sunshine
I'd seen this film long time ago & liked it, way before L&M. I listed it in favorite movies but no mention here as I didn't care for the soundtrack. It's the type of film in which I like the film itself & dislike the score. That said, I like the song the girl dances to, MC Hammer.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2016, 01:41:23 AM »

Currently digging the Pirate Radio soundtrack.

Lotsa great mid-60s hits -- but I tried to watch this flick on DVD the other day.  Made it about half way -- very disappointing.  Also a few anachronisms such as "Jumping Jack Flash" in 1966!  Nonetheless, when the BBs play ("Little saint Nick"), it's a good movie for a few minutes.

I still have to check that one out. I'm not much into movies or TV anymore, so when I do watch I make sure it's worth it - thus I've been putting off Pirate Radio because of the iffy reviews.

I found this film to be terrible. One of the biggest disappointments I've experienced in recent years only because I actually thought the film would be about the pirate radio station(s) that operated outside of London in the 60s. Instead, it is simply PORKY'S on a boat. If the storyline about trying to get a teenager laid sounds good to you (and you can stomach Kenneth Branagh calling out for "Mr. Twatt" repeatedly like a tiresome schoolboy), then maybe you'll have some laughs. I think the cast is great, but they're given very little here that's amusing.

The musical anachronisms go way beyond "Jumpin' Jack Flash"; one of the DJs actually plays a Cat Stevens' song from 1970 even though you're reminded at the film's end that the events shown all take place in 1966.

I didn't make it to the Cat Stevens song!  Anyway, you nailed it "Porky's on a boat."  I am a big radio fan, particularly concerning renegade voices and forbidden music, and this really had nothing to do with any of that.  Rote, by the numbers, etc.

I ADORE The Boat That Rocked! One of my favourite films of all time, with one of my favourite soundtracks of all time!

The anachronisms in song choice is a minor issue yeah, but it doesn't bother me too much. Still great music regardless. That said, I've heard nothing but bad things about the Pirate Radio edit which is quite bastardised apparently.

Anyway, I'd also add American Graffiti and Animal House as soundtracks that I love, each containing brilliant tracks from the 50s and early 60s
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2016, 02:00:16 AM »

I would like to see "American graffiti", the whole film. There's short random bits posted in youtube.

What about recent movie soundtracks, Rei? & which song was pleasant surprise to hear in the movies you mentioned?

bluesno1fann
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2016, 03:03:57 AM »

I would like to see "American graffiti", the whole film. There's short random bits posted in youtube.

What about recent movie soundtracks, Rei? & which song was pleasant surprise to hear in the movies you mentioned?

Well the songs I quite liked which I either discovered or was pleasantly surprised to hear include "Runaway" by Del Shannon and "Green Onions" by Booker T And The MG's on American Graffiti and "Let's Dance" by Chris Montez and "Hey Paula" by Paul And Paula on Animal House. As for recent movies.... I'd really have to think about that. But as scores go, I really like the one that was used for The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button, which I found very effective and at times moving.

Forgot to mention that I'm also very fond of the soundtrack to the 1974 version of The Great Gatsby - which was one of the best aspects of the movie for me.... and they had to go and ruin it all on the DiCaprio version of the film, of which I've seen a few clips but am not keen on checking out
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2018, 06:45:09 AM »

Been listening to the OST of Vertigo recently. Bernard Herrmann could certainly deliver the goods. Roll Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spx0NthRoVc

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2018, 01:16:18 PM »

Forgot to mention that I'm also very fond of the soundtrack to the 1974 version of The Great Gatsby - which was one of the best aspects of the movie for me.... and they had to go and ruin it all on the DiCaprio version of the film, of which I've seen a few clips but am not keen on checking out

Aww. No love for the stunning party scene from the 2013 version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMsacoc9DnQ

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2018, 07:37:45 PM »

Still love "Amadeus" best.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2018, 12:57:52 PM »

Been listening to the OST of Vertigo recently. Bernard Herrmann could certainly deliver the goods. Roll Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spx0NthRoVc
The film is snoozer, ditto the music. Check "Psycho". I picked the screeching violins as mobile ringtone. If you like frightful jumpy cool music, you should check it. Miles away Bernard's best work.

Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2018, 12:40:06 PM »

The soundtrack to Once Upon A Time In America: Ennio Morricone.

I saw the film when it was released in the cinema and the film remains to this day my all-time favorite.

I bought the LP the following week and the CD when it was released with an extra fifteen minute Suite.

It was the perfect marriage of film and score. The Ladd company was winding down at the time the film was released and they forgot to enter the score for The Oscars. It would have walked away with it.

If you've never seen this film, seek it out. It's a cult classic ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaZFLkR6fVU
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 12:40:49 PM by Seaside Woman » Logged

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2018, 01:35:58 PM »

I didn't like that film, frankly speaking. Dull. Ditto soundtrack. Ennio Morricone's music leaves me cold.

Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2018, 03:53:32 PM »

I didn't like that film, frankly speaking. Dull. Ditto soundtrack. Ennio Morricone's music leaves me cold.

There's no accounting for individual tastes. When I listen, It's always sublime...

As for the film, it was and is a masterclass in acting and character development.

Thanks for your input, it was enlightening ...

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2018, 04:46:59 PM »

As for the film, it was and is a masterclass in acting and character development.
Your opinion is respected, just like in previous reply you quoted. If you see clearly, I didn't bash what you said.
Your last sarcastic bit, otoh, isn't "enlightening". It's free board, I can say I like, dislike, downright hate anything in reply to any poster.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2018, 03:23:42 PM »

Here's a great favourite of mine. I bought the LP of the OST of Lawrence of Arabia in the mid '60s but mainly listen to it on YouTube these days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuxHLzwlDY4

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2018, 06:46:19 PM »

Good to see you JK!

Yes, it's hard to beat this overture. I had the good fortune of watching this movie (can't count how many times) when the restored film was shown in cinemas a good while back. I was mesmerized by it and the overture , played before the film started, set the mood perfectly.
The movie comes on quite frequently on our classic movie channel but I don't usually watch it since the screen on my telly is so tiny. This movie screams to be shown on the big screen and I hope it will be again .

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2018, 08:19:23 AM »

Good to see you JK!

Yes, it's hard to beat this overture. I had the good fortune of watching this movie (can't count how many times) when the restored film was shown in cinemas a good while back. I was mesmerized by it and the overture , played before the film started, set the mood perfectly.
The movie comes on quite frequently on our classic movie channel but I don't usually watch it since the screen on my telly is so tiny. This movie screams to be shown on the big screen and I hope it will be again .

True, E. Nothing beats the big screen when it comes to Lawrence of Arabia. It's the only way to get the full impact of "the desert". There's a stunning analysis of this film across the road--I'll see if I can find it some time and link it.

Thanks for the kind remark! I'm only a sporadic visitor to this neck of the woods these days but I will be dropping in from time to time. Cool 

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx