gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 07:54:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bonus Tracks That Are Better Than "Official" Album Tracks  (Read 1635 times)
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2022, 10:53:49 AM »

Just a quick thought of a thread before work. I'll definitely post more when I have the time.

What are some of the tracks that are relegated to being bonus tracks that you find just as good, if not better than songs in the official running order of a particular album?

For me, two just off of the top of my head would be the "I'm Feelin' Sad" from No Pier Pressure. Not only do I find the entirety of the song amazing and impactful, but for me, personally, it feels much more Brian Wilson than "The Last Song." I know a lot of people love that song, but I've never been a fan, at least not from Brian. It sounds much more in tune with a Dennis or Bruce song. And, to be honest, the lyrics feel kind of forced into addressing the then-ongoing Beach Boys' drama.

The other would be "Let It All Evolve" from Tears For Fears' most recent album The Tipping Point. I can't say that it should necessarily replace anything on the album, other than maaayyybbeee the closing track, "Stay," but I even like that one quite a bit. I haven't really thought about where in the cycle it would make the most sense to go, but its just such a great song that I feel it deserves better than to just be a bonus track.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 07:28:19 AM »

Interesting topic, pm. The bonus track (actually a combination of bonus tracks) that comes straight to my mind is "Can't Wait Too Long" on the SS/WH twofer.  I couldn't believe my ears the first time I heard it -- it was like a whole new world opening up. I say combination of tracks, because its predecessor is the a cappella "Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring" and the contrast couldn't be greater, from that song's intimate chamber setting to the musical equivalent of a tropical landscape.   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 07:47:51 PM »

Interesting topic, pm. The bonus track (actually a combination of bonus tracks) that comes straight to my mind is "Can't Wait Too Long" on the SS/WH twofer.  I couldn't believe my ears the first time I heard it -- it was like a whole new world opening up. I say combination of tracks, because its predecessor is the a cappella "Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring" and the contrast couldn't be greater, from that song's intimate chamber setting to the musical equivalent of a tropical landscape.   
Yep. That's gotta be the bonus track of all bonus tracks.
maskedwindsurfer
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 06:15:08 AM »

The compilation that comes to my mind is of course "Brother re-issued : Proposed bonus track" with original mixes (Sound of free, awake, ...), alternate versions of 70' tracks.
Better sound, according some fans, than recent boxsets.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2022, 10:33:00 PM »

The remaster of Paul Simon's One Trick Poney features an earlier version of 'How The Heart Approaches What It Yearns' called 'Spiral Highway' which I find to be a far better song.

Though a find every track on Stevie Nicks' wonderful solo album Bella Donna to be a flawless gem, I  have just as much love for the tracks that didn't make the cut, like 'Blue Lamp', 'Gold and Braid', 'Julia', 'Belle Fluer', 'If You Were My Love' and especially 'Sleeping Angel' to be as good as anything on the album, and in some cases better.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 05:37:40 AM »

Paul McCartney & Idris Elba - Long Tailed Winter Bird

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=_qlFIsyTaDo&feature=share

This one was a bonus track off of McCartney's recent McCartney III Reimagined compilation.  It appeared on the Target exclusive vinyl and they eventually released it digitally as a single.  I didn't even know Elba dabbled in music but this reggae-tinged reworking of the song is quite catchy.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 11:11:03 PM »

The Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar - Bob Dylan. Originally the b-side to Heart of Mine; added to later editions of Shot of Love.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx