gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:35:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Calgary & Edmonton shows: Meeting Brian  (Read 14209 times)
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2011, 04:21:43 AM »

So yeah, Kayla.  Congratulations for getting to see the shows and meet Brian and the guys.  What an experience that must have been!  I had my chance at the Pabst Theater in Milwaukee a couple of years ago, but it didn't work out.  Had my concert ticket, had a back stage/meet and greet pass waiting for me in BeerTown, and it all looked good to go.  Unfortunately, I was called in to work at the last minute, and I couldn't get to the show.  I'm going to head down to the Surf Ballroom in Iowa at the end of the month, but I don't have a backstage pass this time.

Also, your recordings are really fantastic.  I'm an old guitarist from way-back, and still play in a covers band, and we feature our three-part harmonies.  I love singing harmonies.  I have a soon-to-be 15 year old daughter who wants to be a singer, too.  Sings all the time, and she's pretty good.  She's got a good ear, as you obviously do.  I showed her a couple of your Beach Boys covers on YouTube, and she liked them.  So, keep up the good work.  It's a pleasure listening to songs done with passion and soul. 

Peace. 
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »

Taylor WAS on Smile...I Wanna Be Around...

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2011, 11:19:53 PM »

Don't think so.  Wink

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
brucejohnstonfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2011, 02:23:45 AM »

Don't think so.  Wink

Well, she WAS on BW Presents Smile, so technically she kind of was on Smile, just not The Beach Boys Smile Sessions.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2011, 03:49:44 AM »

Don't think so.  Wink

Well, she WAS on BW Presents Smile, so technically she kind of was on Smile, just not The Beach Boys Smile Sessions.

Nope - she was on Brian Wilson Presents Smile, not Smile.  Bit like saying Darian was on Odessey & Oracle (and yes, I know he was... the 40th anniversary live shows).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
brucejohnstonfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 06, 2011, 06:35:37 PM »

Don't think so.  Wink

Nope - she was on Brian Wilson Presents Smile, not Smile.  Bit like saying Darian was on Odessey & Oracle (and yes, I know he was... the 40th anniversary live shows).

Well considering that for the time being, BWPS is the only OFFICIAL version of Smile ever released, yeah, she was on Smile.

Plus, upon talking with members of Brian's band, a couple have mentioned to me that they like to think of BWPS as "Smile 2004" because they think that that's really what it is, and had it been released in even 2005, it could have been a much different album, it's just what Brian was feeling at the time.

So unlike Darian being on the Odyssey & Oracle 40th Anniversary live shows, which were more or less a recreation of the original album, Taylor sang on a completely different version of Smile that's entirely different to the Beach Boys unreleased 1967 album, and while it might not be The Beach Boys Smile, it still is Brian Wilson's Smile - at least the version of Smile that he felt and wanted to release at the time, and despite the Smile Sessions album that's coming out later this year, BWPS Smile is the only official version of Smile that's been completed by Brian Wilson that will ever truly be released.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2011, 09:36:34 PM »

so far.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
brucejohnstonfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2011, 05:36:57 PM »

so far.

No, unless some weird sh*t goes down, BWPS is the only version of smile to ever be completed by Brian Wilson. Last I heard,  the upcoming Smile Sessions release is being put together and completed by Mark Linett and Alan Boyd.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2011, 07:26:24 PM »

The last I heard, Brian Wilson composed, arranged, sang and produced every thing that Linett & Boyd have put together. Except for the track sequence, I see what these two gentlemen are doing is not any different than what Chuck Britz did helping Brian with the mono mixes and doing stereo mixes for other Beach Boys albums. This Smile Sessions will be all Brian.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2011, 09:06:28 PM »

so far.

No, unless some weird feces goes down, BWPS is the only version of smile to ever be completed by Brian Wilson. Last I heard,  the upcoming Smile Sessions release is being put together and completed by Mark Linett and Alan Boyd.

BWPS is the only version completed SO FAR. the only way your statement becomes definitive: when Brian passes if he hasn't released another.
Correct or not,  Arguments can be made( such as below) that this years' release will be a completed Brian work.  I'm not going there.

The last I heard, Brian Wilson composed, arranged, sang and produced every thing that Linett & Boyd have put together. Except for the track sequence, I see what these two gentlemen are doing is not any different than what Chuck Britz did helping Brian with the mono mixes and doing stereo mixes for other Beach Boys albums. This Smile Sessions will be all Brian.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx