gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:56:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kevin Leslie  (Read 23309 times)
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2011, 07:14:39 AM »

Does anyone know what happened to Kevin Leslie?  Did he ever speak out about the Landy years or his time with Brian in 1992?
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 09:37:57 AM »

Something else I have wondered about is what happened to all the video that Landy had of Brian?  Were these videos seized by the courts and used to appoint the conservator?

Many accounts talk about how if Landy was not around, video was taken of what Brian was up too.  I know that the video of Landy giving Brian meds is/was on youtube, and I seem to recall that there was at one time another video of Brian and Kevin Leslie watching a bird eat something on a balcony.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 12:35:50 PM »

What was Kevin's role with Landy and how did he interact with Brian? I was very young when this went down so i am wondering what was the information on Kevin during the Landy years.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 12:46:11 PM »

What was Kevin's role with Landy and how did he interact with Brian? I was very young when this went down so i am wondering what was the information on Kevin during the Landy years.

He was known as the "Surf Nazi," and would keep tabs on Brian when Landy was not around, and report back to Landy on what Brian was doing.  He would screen Brian's calls, let Brian known if Landy would approve of situations that they were in, etc.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 12:49:11 PM »

He was known as the "Surf Nazi," and would keep tabs on Brian when Landy was not around, and report back to Landy on what Brian was doing.  He would screen Brian's calls, let Brian known if Landy would approve of situations that they were in, etc.
Dang, sounds like if they could track him down, he would be a heck of an interview.... Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 01:09:54 PM »

Here is an article from the Chicago Tribune in 1991.  It talks about concerns some had with Leslie sticking around after Landy was gone, and the process of getting Landy removed.  It is from 1991:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1991-11-17/entertainment/9104140084_1_eugene-landy-stan-love-separate-ways

By his own admission, Brian Wilson has been ``out of it`` for many years. Wilson, the so-called ``genius`` behind the 30-year success of the Beach Boys, was in Chicago to promote his controversial new autobiography,

``Wouldn`t It Be Nice`` (Harper Collins, $20), part of a nationwide publicity tour that has put the reclusive songwriter under the media microscope.

In New York, he passed out six times during an interview, the most dramatic episode on his tour and an indication that the prescription drugs he has been taking for nine years still influence his behavior.

In Chicago, Wilson didn`t pass out. He was quite lucid much of the time. He said that at that particular moment, he was on three medications.

Wilson`s speech is slightly slurred. The right side of his face and mouth seem dulled, and some interviewers as well as observers at a bookstore signing question if Wilson has had a stroke. He regularly closes his eyes and grimaces in mid-sentence.

Nervous breakdowns and drug abuse hastened Wilson`s retreat in the `60s,

`70s and early `80s. But since 1983, when he returned to the controversial 24-hour care of therapist Eugene Landy, Wilson has slowly begun to re-emerge in the public eye.

As he lounges on a couch in his hotel room, his feet propped up on a table, Wilson says his legal troubles may soon be behind him, too. The legal struggle pits Wilson against his own family members-brother Carl, mom Audree and daughters Carnie and Wendy-who are seeking to have a conservator named to manage Wilson`s finances. They want to keep Wilson away from Landy.

Both sides acknowledge that Landy saved Wilson`s life when he put Wilson under 24-hour care in 1983. He got Wilson off illegal drugs. He helped Wilson slim down from 340 pounds to about 185. But as Wilson recovered, doctor and patient did not go their separate ways.

Landy became Wilson`s business partner. His songwriting partner. His music-production partner. In 1989, the state of California stripped Landy of his license to practice psychology for illegally prescribing drugs for Wilson. The family took action in 1990. Stan Love (Wilson`s cousin and the brother of Beach Boy lead singer Mike Love) filed a conservatorship suit to gain control of Wilson`s affairs. Love alleges that Landy has brainwashed Wilson and has cut him off from his family and friends, and is seeking control of Wilson`s fortune. Brother Carl eventually took over the suit.

Although the case is scheduled to go to court Monday, Wilson says it may not get that far, partially because of a recent meeting between Wilson and Carl at a hotel near the Los Angeles airport.

``Just me and Carl . . .`` Wilson says. ``Just two brothers. We were singing. There was a piano there. We were doing our vocals.``

The brothers sang some old Beach Boys classics-including ``Wild Honey``

and ``Aren`t You Glad`` and ``Darlin` ``-that haven`t been heard much in the past 15 years as the group has become chiefly a surf-and-car nostalgia act.

It was a rare moment of harmony in the family`s stormy past. Wilson`s autobiography (penned with People magazine writer Todd Gold) cuts through the Wilson family with the same cool dispatch that Wilson claims to have suffered at the hands of his kin.

Among Brian Wilson`s charges: father Murry physically abused his children; mom Audree drank; cousin Mike Love is fueled by Transcendental Meditation and greed; Carl could have prevented the drowning death of brother Dennis, another Wilson victim of excess, if he hadn`t been reluctant to pay for Landy to treat Dennis as well. Those are strong charges. But Carl has said he doesn`t care if Wilson ever writes music again-he just wants his brother to be healthy and happy.

And it appears Brian Wilson will have that chance.

A source close to the conservatorship case said the settlement will mean a final parting between Wilson and Landy, adding that a conservator will be named to handle Wilson`s business interests. ``The deal being discussed will take Landy out of Brian`s life within two years,`` the source said. Part of the conservator`s job, the source added, will be to ensure that Landy doesn`t have an alter ego in Wilson`s life who would act as a go-between for Landy and Wilson. Critics have raised concerns about the constant presence of Kevin Leslie, Wilson`s personal assistant originally hired by Landy, at the Beach Boy`s side for the past six years, charging that Leslie is a conduit for Landy.

But Leslie denies the charge-``I`m an employee of Brian Wilson``-and the source said that Leslie is not beholden to Landy and will cooperate with the Wilson-Landy separation. ``I think (Kevin) will do a good job,`` a source said. ``I don`t think Kevin will jeopardize his position.``
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 01:12:32 PM »

After Landy was required by the court to get the hell out of Brian's life in late 1991, guess who continued to live with Brian for almost another year...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 01:14:19 PM »

After Landy was required by the court to get the hell out of Brian's life in late 1991, guess who continued to live with Brian for almost another year...

I know it was Kevin Leslie.  Do you know anything about his time with Brian, or has he ever talked about it?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 01:15:57 PM »

I know it was Kevin Leslie.  Do you know anything about his time with Brian, or has he ever talked about it?

Nope - it's like he's vanished off the face of the earth. As was noted before, that would be one hell of an interview.

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 01:18:43 PM »

Nope - it's like he's vanished off the face of the earth. As was noted before, that would be one hell of an interview.

Any idea what happened to all the video he took of Brian during his time with Landy?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 01:29:05 PM »

Any idea what happened to all the video he took of Brian during his time with Landy?

I'm guessing Alexandra still has it, if it's not been trashed.

onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 01:44:28 PM »

The first time I ever ran into Brian Wilson, Kevin was there. This was at the KROQ building in Burbank in 1988--it was the day after Brian had been on Bingenheimer's radio show there. Why he was there the next day, I have no idea--maybe he forgot his sunglasses or something?

My impressions at the time: Brian was so slim and handsome I almost didn't recognize him. Then his mouth twitched at the corner, and I suddenly realized it was him. (We were riding down the elevator together--I worked in that building at the time.) Kevin was at his side--very short and cranky-looking. And as I recall, he was wearing a suit. The surf-nazi description seemed pretty apt.

This was, of course, right after Brian's solo album came out, so I was counting myself especially lucky to have run into him then!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 01:55:56 PM »

Kevin was, to be polite about it, a nasty piece of work. Evan, Landy's son, was somewhat nicer.

onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 02:00:46 PM »

I tried a Google Image search, but didn't see anybody who looked like the guy I saw.

In '88, he kinda looked like a short/angry version of the bass player from Styx.

It's not possible it would have been somebody else would it?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 02:19:11 PM »

Googling, I came up with this site, where the employment field would make it appear it's the same person( not saying it's definite, but it could be): 

http://www.choopersguide.com/find-addiction-treatment/kevin-s-leslie-granbury-texas.html

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
maxfrost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »

What about Scott Steinberg, Landy's original surf nazi during the 1976-77 "Brian's Back" era? Any idea what happened to him?
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 04:05:59 PM »

Although the case is scheduled to go to court Monday, Wilson says it may not get that far, partially because of a recent meeting between Wilson and Carl at a hotel near the Los Angeles airport.
``Just me and Carl . . .`` Wilson says. ``Just two brothers. We were singing. There was a piano there. We were doing our vocals.``
The brothers sang some old Beach Boys classics-including ``Wild Honey`` and ``Aren`t You Glad`` and ``Darlin` ``-that haven`t been heard much in the past 15 years as the group has become chiefly a surf-and-car nostalgia act.

I remember reading this very article two decades ago, and this part has stuck with me for all these years.  How incredibly cool would it have been to hear Brian and Carl banging out highlights of the Wild Honey album on a hotel piano in 1991?   Too bad that a recording of this has never surfaced (and, indeed, probably never existed), but, oh, man, to have been a fly on the wall for that one...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 04:09:52 PM »

Kevin was, to be polite about it, a nasty piece of work. Evan, Landy's son, was somewhat nicer.
Interesting point, i wonder what Evan thought of his father being a controling monster of Brian's life. I would be highly disturbed if my dad acted like a creepy father to a adult middle aged man.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 04:12:34 PM by briansbathrobe » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 07:27:38 PM »

When I think of Kevin Leslie, I think of the guy with the pony tail hair shovelling Brian bottled waters to Brian at his book signing in S.F. People in line were real annoyed with the guy, who kept preventing certain collectibles from being signed.

I have a video somewhere - I think I saw it on Youtube once. One of the documentary/gossip/news programs (maybe Diane Sawyer?) or some reporter with a cameraman showed up at the front gate of Brains & Genius. Leslie was on the inside of the gate with his video camera pointed back towards the outside at the reporter and cameraman.  Shooting video of each other. I don't think the reporter was allowed in or Brian or Landy were not home or Landy wouldn't let them in. Leslie was being a big jerk.

Leslie also took the "Great Hotel Video", didn't he? With Brian, Bruce, Foskett, and Stamos?

Leslie also took a video that I've been wanting to get a copy of for years. It's a tour of Brian's Malibu house with Brian as the guide. Real funny, and a great insight to Brian's living arrangement and his life with Landy at the time.

I met Scott Steinburg at Brian's house in 1976. Exchanged pleasantries with him, then he decided to stand out of the way under the stairwell inside 10452 Bellagio and watch Brian and us closely. Not a big guy at all - actually a little scrawny. There was no way he could have been Brian's bodyguard. He was there as Landy's spy and that's it.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 07:35:35 PM »

Yeah, vanished into that black hole where Tandyn Almer and that other matching sock have disappeared.    Huh
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 08:20:55 PM »

Yeah, vanished into that black hole where Tandyn Almer and that other matching sock have disappeared.    Huh

I wanna make a dirty joke, but just can't.... LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 08:21:25 PM »

Him & Carolyn Williams would make great interviews, IMHO.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 12:38:04 AM »

Him & Carolyn Williams would make great interviews, IMHO.

Yes... Carolyn would.  Wink

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 12:40:21 AM »

Interesting point, i wonder what Evan thought of his father being a controling monster of Brian's life. I would be highly disturbed if my dad acted like a creepy father to a adult middle aged man.

From my interactions with him (and for all I know he just didn't like me, might have been a wonderful guy, loves his mom and apple pie) he was Landy writ small and without the brains. Surf Nazi in all senses.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 12:41:56 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 12:50:23 AM »

From my interactions with him (and for all I know he just didn't like me, might have been a wonderful guy, loves his mom and apple pie) he was Landy writ small and without the brains. Surf Nazi in all senses.

I find it utterly sad that a gentle, generous, talented, and troubled soul like Brian Wilson was dominated by this type of 'counselors' for long years. Incredibly tragic...  Sad Sad Sad

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx